• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
But it's a prequel to HL2? Odd choice, but okay.

It's isn't quite a prequel though. It seems intended to directly continue the story - ergo, you should re-familiarise yourself with EP2:

Zm5f9C4.jpg

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this could/should be the first, big, killer app to sell the tech. i hope MS is paying attention (and has a plan) - i want to play this)

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
are first gen vives still good?

i am just too lazy to ever research this stuff fully past price
They definitely are still good. I've had mine for 3 years and am still happy with it. I may be upgrading to Index controllers before this releases but if I can't I won't be really too bothered, the vive wands are still great to me.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
this could/should be the first, big, killer app to sell the tech. i hope MS is paying attention (and has a plan) - i want to play this)
It certainly gets more people to pay attention, but Beat Saber already came out, so we're up to at least 2 killer apps now 😉

And hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype!

I will probably be getting Index controllers for this. Just getting the game for free with the controllers is probably reason enough, but I'm getting tired of the Vive wands lately, and it'd be nice to upgrade to a better hand experience.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Because VR doesn't really allow you (as of now) for extremely dynamic puzzles or complex battle situations. Some things will be better because of VR. Other design elements will be dialed back compared to modern FPS games because of VR. I played a lot of VR games without VR where it was possible, and the limits of the game design were evident, it's just that the extra immersion makes you notice it less.
"I played a lot of VR games without VR"

So obviously those games were designed for the lowest common denominator, 2D inputs. It's not VR that's limited, it's that 2D controllers (which those games had to accommodate for) were limited. You're only proving the point that VR-exclusives are necessary for VR to shine.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Valve's still got it, they just took a Dota shaped detour for too long.

Or rather - they've been working on SteamVR constantly since 2012/2013. The sheer amount of work done, and supporting all the other vendors, and creating completely new tools along side OpenVR, which they donated to Khronos to begin establishing a fully open standard (already supported by all the key platforms) - has been a huge undertaking.
Multiplayer games obviously also take up a bunch of bandwidth too

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
What causes your motion sickness in general?
For me I can't read in cars but I have no issues with most things IN MODERN VR games... boy a lot of those older games kick the crap out of me though lol.

My Mom gets motion sick pretty bad and got motion sick in some stuff in VR when I had her try it out (but had no issues with beat saber or super hot) but when she took motion sickness medicine before hand she was fine.
Yeah, reading in cars will guarentee to set me off too.

In a gaming setting I'm OK playing 1st person games, but show me a video of some fast paced shooter and it's queasy city.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks amazing! Will this only work with Valves VR system?

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
So in my opinion I think it is really disappointing that fans of this series, who have waited years and years for any kind of follow up, are now more or less being manipulated into buying this $400 piece of hardware that really has yet to find a footing. Valve is just preying on their most loyal fans in order to sell a VR machine.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in my opinion I think it is really disappointing that fans of this series, who have waited years and years for any kind of follow up, are now more or less being manipulated into buying this $400 piece of hardware that really has yet to find a footing. Valve is just preying on their most loyal fans in order to sell a VR machine.

"Manipulated"
Wow

It's like saying Last of Us fans are being manipulated into buying a new PS console to finish the story

Oct 27, 2017
So don't buy it.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Just like God of War fans were manipulated into buying a PS4 to get the next chapter, right? I remember the war cries here when that happened like it was yesterday.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
rofl. if that was the case, it would only be compatible with theirs, not all VR headsets. and lol at being manipulated.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Man I can't believe how many people are getting hung up on the floating hands thing.

It's literally the biggest non issue about this whole thing. If you haven't played VR, then seriously, just take the word of hundreds of people who are telling you it really doesn't matter. And if you have played VR and it bothers you that much, I don't know what to tell you. You're in an extreme minority.

Those who are mad they won't be able to play it and that Valve made it VR only, do you get mad when next gen consoles come out and developers stop making last gen versions of their games?

Yes the cost of entry is a lot higher if you don't have a PC of some kind, but it's what has to happen for games to keep pushing the boundaries of new tech. It's a necessary evil that benefits gaming as a whole in the long run.

Why should this game be held back by having to adhere to the way things have been done before?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Or rather - they've been working on SteamVR constantly since 2012/2013. The sheer amount of work done, and supporting all the other vendors, and creating completely new tools along side OpenVR, which they donated to Khronos to begin establishing a fully open standard (already supported by all the key platforms) - has been a huge undertaking.
Multiplayer games obviously also take up a bunch of bandwidth too
I get that but they could've finished the episodic trilogy with another "flatscreen" game while working on their VR-only entry.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Valve isn't preying on anyone. They're just obsessed with VR and want it to hit the mainstream. If this helps, I hope that Half Life 3 is exclusive to VR too

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey Oculus Rift S owners, I returned my original Rift due to needing sensors, and the bad lenses full of glare and bloom. How does the S compare? Is the inside-out tracking good? How are the optics now? I also read that the built in headphones are bad, and the way the HMD is shaped makes it hard to use your own good over the ear headphones.

Opinions?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
You can't stand still and shoot things in most non VR shooters?
Uh I never said you couldn't but non vr shooters are designed around movement as well. The other guy that was quoted seems to think that all or most vr games are shooting galleries and that this will also be one.
So, like a lot of VR shooters? Sairento VR is all about moving AND shooting, for instance. Or H3VR in the take and hold modes, for instance. Or Fallout 4 VR...
There's a lot more VR shooters than SUPERHOT VR, and the majority of the post-2017 ones support moving while shooting (and you'll probably die pretty quickly if you stand around and just shoot back instead of moving).

You move around in this game. In fact, you probably move around a lot, since they have at least three different movement options (teleporting, "shifting" and continuous movement with an analog stick like a normal console game).
Yeah, I straight up said that there will most likely be a lot of moving and shooting in the game. I've played many vr shooters so I'm already aware that not everything is like SuperHot. I was also disagreeing with that guy he quoted.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh I never said you couldn't but non vr shooters are designed around movement as well. The other guy that was quoted seems to think that all or most vr games are shooting galleries and that this will also be one.

Yeah, I straight up said that there will most likely be a lot of moving and shooting in the game. I've played many vr shooters so I'm already aware that not everything is like SuperHot. I was also disagreeing with that guy he quoted.

I quoted the wrong person, sorry.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve is literally doing nothing to force anyone into buying an Index. They support all modern VR platforms, the vast majority of which don't earn them a dime. They are exploring VR as a medium because that is the opportunity they see for innovation worthy of their time.

What a gross mischaracterization of Valve's intentions.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wants to be bitter about getting this and no actual Half Life 3... but this looks fucking awesome and I'm a sucker for anything Half Life. They could make a card game and I'd probably entertain it for a while. Really love all the interactions with seemingly all the random items in the environment including using random stuff as weapons. I'm curious how big an experience this will end up being but I'm game. I wonder though if Valve would ever be interested in getting this on the PSVR for the PS5, or maybe the follow up headset. The VR version of the Orange Box with a Portal 3 would be sweet ;D

Their FAQ says it's a full game around the same length as Half-Life 2.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Sure and what about any fans that can't play VR because of bad motion sickness?

EDIT: Basically I am just wondering why this couldn't be a dual release on normal Steam and for VR.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
oh fuck, gman

oh jeeeeesussss man I don't have the money for this c'monnnnnnn ughhh

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. Makes me want to get a better setup to play it to be honest (one focused on VR), but I wish there were more things like this so that I wasn't doing it mostly for one game.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Valve isn't preying on anyone. They're just obsessed with VR and want it to hit the mainstream. If this helps, I hope that Half Life 3 is exclusive to VR too

Agree - and that is exactly what it looks like. They need to see what happens once the game is out, and if the VR approach to HL is well received. If it is, they look set to "push forward" making further iterations in VR.

From Geoff, one of the key takeaways seems to be that even regardless of VR, they are pushing the industry forward with the game's blending of combat, gameplay, and dialogue in a way typical of Valve in the past. If that holds true, I'm all for more VR Half-Life

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, reading in cars will guarentee to set me off too.

In a gaming setting I'm OK playing 1st person games, but show me a video of some fast paced shooter and it's queasy city.
I was vehemently against this kind of movement at first, because I got violently sick every time I tried it. My solution was ginger candy. I'd eat the first piece to get it into my system, then sucked on subsequent pieces for the remainder of the session. No more nausea, one time I got a slight headache, but it was nothing compared to before. Best of all, I only needed the candy for 10, 15 sessions. After that I had an iron stomach.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It is for me. I'm now actively researching headsets since this was announced.

ive been a believer since playing pcars2 and dirt rally at a buddies a few years back. i just dont want to be a PC gamer (and am set on xbox not playstation). honestly though, i may rethink this stance if there is no mention of VR from MS when they show off next gen

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I was pretty close to buying a quest or Rift for my bday. I just decided to go with PS4 and PsVr.
I wonder if it would head over to PSVR later.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't believe they've announced this game. Looks amazing. I'm a console only gamer and Mac laptop user so I'll probably never get to play it, though. I experienced the previous games on the PS2 and X360.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Sure and what about any fans that can't play VR because of bad motion sickness?

EDIT: Basically I am just wondering why this couldn't be a dual release on normal Steam and for VR.
Some games designed normally can have VR bolted on for some increased immersion. But those compromise what VR is fully capable of.
Games designed for VR from the ground up are the truly mindblowing games. Valve has spent years working on VR and want to fully explore what is possible with it with high production values too.
Also motion sickness is a thing on first person games normally, a lot of work has been done to reduce that issue with VR that for a lot of people I don't think room scale high quality VR is that bad for motion sickness. But I understand people scared to give another try if they've been sick before.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Can't stop watching the trailer. It's just unbelievable. I don't even have VR gear yet but despite the added cost to play being a bit of a bummer, it being a VR game makes it even more exciting for me now that I've come to terms with it, with Valve at the helm the possiblities seem endless when it comes to gameplay and interaction and new experience, compared to if it was a typical flatscreen game where you would kinda know what to expect to be doing for the 15 hours.

It is for me. I'm now actively researching headsets since this was announced.
Same. The last few hours I've gone from not knowing a thing about VR to being REALLY in the know about a lot of it.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to die if I don't play this game

I am also going to die (of starvation) if I buy a VR set to play this game