• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Question.
I tried Vive (for meme shit) once and mostly just have being using PSVR.

Can VR game look that good? In terms of IQ?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Looks fantastic. Half-life visuals using modern tech is a beauty.

The obvious hands-on approach to guns and having a double-barrel shotgunpistol which requires plenty of manual reloading... will bring out the John Wick in all of us. And having to properly loot for and pick up individual shells to defend yourself with. It doesn't re-invent the VR wheel (from what seen in this short trailer) but it goes all in on the tried and true with thoughtful implementation (the shotgunpistol being a good example) and a proper AAA budget.

A tent pole title for the medium. Will be playing it with an Oculus Quest w/Link unless we manage to get a Valve Index in the office.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
The second I saw City 17 for the first time since Episode 2...

giphy.gif

You and me.

I was already interested on the Index, but hesitated on the price. Not anymore.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I might need a drink or two to calm my nerves before having to deal with those headcrabs. Horror in VR is not my thing but I have to play this.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy the Index + Controllers without base stations, will I be able to play without movement? Just using analog?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Question.
I tried Vive (for meme shit) once and mostly just have being using PSVR.

Can VR game look that good? In terms of IQ?
Yes, and many do right now.

If I buy the Index + Controllers without base stations, will I be able to play without movement? Just using analog?
No. If you want a solution without base stations, you'll want to buy system with inside-out tracking. Consider a Rift S

or a Vive Cosmos.

or if you want to save, the Oculus Quest should provide an acceptable experience, albeit sub-optimal.

Oculus Quest 2: Our Most Advanced New All-in-One VR Headset | Oculus

Oculus Quest 2 is our newest, most advanced all-in-one VR system yet. Explore an expansive library of awe-inspiring games and immersive experiences with unparalleled freedom.

That said, I remain a big fan of the base stations if your environment can support their setup. They're just a little bit more consistent right now.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and many do right now.

No. If you want a solution without base stations, you'll want to buy system with inside-out tracking. Consider a Rift S

or a Vive Cosmos.

or if you want to save, the Oculus Quest should provide an acceptable experience, albeit sub-optimal.

Oculus Quest 2: Our Most Advanced New All-in-One VR Headset | Oculus

Oculus Quest 2 is our newest, most advanced all-in-one VR system yet. Explore an expansive library of awe-inspiring games and immersive experiences with unparalleled freedom.
wat. The quest has better tracking than the cosmos and is on par if not better than the Rift S

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As tkato said, you wouldn't be able to play at all due to not having any tracking (Index/OG Vive/OG Rift=base station tracking required). However, remember that this is NOT an Index exclusive, so you can play on a Quest/Rift S or a WMR set (from my experience, tracking is far better on Rift S/Quest than WMR, thanks to extra cameras). Those headsets don't require any external tracking solution.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looks fucking great and I hope to be able to play it somewhere around next year.

To the people upset about it being VR only: something like this had to happen eventually. The VR platform was bound to get an exclusive game big enough to attract this kind of attention and controversy and it just happened to be Half-Life. However, I think Valve was still careful enough to not make it actually HL3 but instead a prequel, as I'm sure HL3 is actually coming after this and it will support both traditional platforms and VR, as Valve wouldn't be daring enough to also make HL3 a VR exclusive.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You won't be playing it at all since there will be no tracking

As tkato said, you wouldn't be able to play at all due to not having any tracking (Index/OG Vive/OG Rift=base station tracking required). However, remember that this is NOT an Index exclusive, so you can play on a Quest/Rift S or a WMR set (from my experience, tracking is far better on Rift S/Quest than WMR, thanks to extra cameras). Those headsets don't require any external tracking solution.

Oh bummer, I wanted to buy it staggered so I could offset the cost.
I prefer giving the money to Valve than to Facebook. I'll start saving then.

Heart please hold on.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy an Index now will I get the game free still?

also please tell me what PC to build for this k thanks

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh bummer, I wanted to buy it staggered so I could offset the cost.
I prefer giving the money to Valve than to Facebook. I'll start saving then.

Heart please hold on.
If that's the case, and you really want that experience, you can buy a used Vive headset, that will get you all you need but the index controllers, which you can buy and will work with the original lighthouse of the Vive.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

This. I have not done a ton of VR gaming, but the floating hands/items is a bit weird. Outside of that, this looks fucking great.

My big question is how long of a game this is? Seems like anything VR that is really good is really short. Astrobot on PSVR is fantastic but damn is short.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they included basically every option for how to play. I can choose to sit and not flail around in the middle of the floor lol.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I have not done a ton of VR gaming, but the floating hands/items is a bit weird. Outside of that, this looks fucking great.

My big question is how long of a game this is? Seems like anything VR that is really good is really short. Astrobot on PSVR is fantastic but damn is short.

About as long as HL2, they said.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017

12-15 hours.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

12-16 hours long. Took Geoff 15 hours to finish.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It being a prequel to Half Life 2 is just so disappointing. Who wants that? Who asked for that, stop being a bunch of cowards and do 3.

In any event at least it looks like they are on the right track now and after this thing slam dunks it's way to release maybe they will have the confidence to do something more.
I see this as a necessary bridge to get there, a project where they can learn AAA VR game development, they really are in uncharted waters in a lot of ways. They can take all this knowledge going forward and make the ultimate game with HL3, should HL: Alyx be successful.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Man I've just seen the interview video where Geoff says that he has know about it for years

FOR YEARS

Imagine knowing that a new Half Life game would come out for so long, without being able to tell anyone

Tom Francis has known of the game for 4.5 years, and folks like myself pointed out this may well be why when he randomly went to do his own work at Valve for period.
Quiet shout out to those of us that pointed it out, and obviously Tom Francis - who managed to keep that secret safe!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Inside the headset, unless you've got properly tracked arms (and I hope we get there tbh) floating hands are less distracting. Valve have been prototyping this stuff for years. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but for them not to be there is preferable to them not lining up. You get used to them being missing and then forget about it, but if they're there, every time they're glitching or lined up inappropriately it takes you out of the experience.