• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Rayman floating hands are really weird considering the realism of everything else.
Couldn't focus on the action because it was jarring.

Strange to have compo santo involved considering what I liked in Firewatch was seeing the body of Henry and the animations were great.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You can get your "VR legs" over time, yup. The first time I tried a game with non-teleporting movement I felt pretty bad, but I found out that playing cartoonish games helped a lot there (I got my "VR legs" with Compound VR, a sort of Wolf 3d like game). Of course, the time it takes for you to get adjusted to it might vary.

With that kind of movement I noticed that turning your head to the direction you want to go, before actually going in that direction helped me a lot. I played some Moss and Serious Sam yesterday for over 3 hours and I didn't have any problem at all. I used to have problems with Serious Sam, but it disappeared using this way of playing the game.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With that kind of movement I noticed that turning your head to the direction you want to go, before actually going in that direction helped me a lot. I played some Moss and Serious Sam yesterday for over 3 hours and I didn't have any problem at all. I used to have problems with Serious Sam, but it disappeared using this way of playing the game.

Nice, there are games that have this as an option too, if I remember correctly.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rayman floating hands are really weird considering the realism of everything else.

Strange to have compo santo involved considering what I liked in Firewatch was seeing the body of Henry and the animations were great.
What an astonishingly odd take.

Oh okay ffs, I will admit... I too liked seeing the body of Henry in Firewatch.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

I definitely prefer a virtual body, but floating hands really aren't a distraction in game. It's a little weird at first when you're looking at yourself and don't see anything, but most of the time while actually playing you don't think about it at all.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's no real player controllered movement? Like you're just standing in one spot shooting and then the game automatically moves you to the next spot.

Hope I'm wrong because everything else does look good.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting it to look fantastic and I'm not disappointed. I can't afford a headset though which really sucks. I love the franchise.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

They don't really bother me in game, your mind kind of feels in the blanks. There are VR games that do the full body animations and while some are better than others they will never fully match up to your movements which can break immersion more than the floating hands.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's no real player controllered movement? Like you're just standing in one spot shooting and then the game automatically moves you to the next spot.

Hope I'm wrong because everything else does look good.

The game's official page says you can use teleport movement in two different methods or full FPS motion (the one that typically makes folks sick). They're including various ways to move based on player preference. This isn't a rail shooter or anything like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that settles it. Buying an Index for Christmas!

I'm also super excited to dick around with the Source 2 SDK, particularly the map editor. Can't wait to make my own little VR room experiences lol

Oct 26, 2017
I see, so the Quest without the link cable requires the game to have some sort of partnership with Facebook and is exclusive on there?

So in other words, Valve won't port a Quest version?

Valve won't "port" a Quest version because the Quest is basically an Android console with a mobile chip. So yeah, it can't run Windows games, much less advanced Windows games. With Link, you are doing really local streaming-through-cable from your pc to that Android console.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
No it has full movement.
The website says there are multiple ways to move.
Three movement options. Teleporting, using analog and zooming in lines I think.
The game's official page says you can use teleport movement in two different methods or full FPS motion (the one that typically makes folks sick). They're including various ways to move based on player preference. This isn't a rail shooter or anything like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.
Excellent! Thanks

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking it through and checking the videos I'm just not seeing myself playing a game with completely cut off surroundings, flailing my arms around.

This does not change the fact that HL: A, the game desing and the technology all does look great and everyone's excitement for it is completely valid. This is just a subjective thing that I can't really fancy the VR platform.

I'm hoping that I'm gonna get a more traditional, "flat" HL experience in the future, but if not that's also cool. I had my share of fun with the previous installments. Maybe one day I'll give this a shot over at a friend's place or something.
Why if you dont mind me asking?

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Straight up i just want to say how the trolling on this site has become unbearable at times and its really not right in threads like this that should be of celebration.

Second, im happy for all the Half Life fans that waited so long for something new to come. I know this isnt 3 but hopefully it opens the doors to something more and a bright future for Valve making games again. Ive installed all the Half life games and will play them leading up to this.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Straight up i just want to say how the trolling on this site has become unbearable at times and its really not right in threads like this that should be of celebration.

Second, im happy for all the Half Life fans that waited so long for something new to come. I know this isnt 3 but hopefully it opens the doors to something more and a bright future for Valve making games again. Ive installed all the Half life games and will play them leading up to this.

Their hate of anything VR and them trying to justify it gives me life.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks impressive but I don't own a PC that is good enough to run it. I'm happy for all the long-term HL fans that get to play it tho.

2020is gonna be insane.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Looks fucking amazing. I hope they patch in an option for people to have a virtual body even though I know it wouldn't be 1:1 accurate without tracking for arms and legs but sometimes I still like to have it in VR. Still good how it is though for sure and likely less distracting for most people when actually playing.

I can see myself buying index controllers for my Vive before this releases, the fact they will come with the game really sweetened the pot. Can't wait.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Anyone familiar with Valve and the Half-Life series knows that the only way the series would live up to the expectations and to its legacy would be to take advantage of new tech in service of the gameplay (like Half-Life 2 did with physics). VR is 100% the way to go.

It will be a while before I can get a system to play this game, but I am still absolutely stoked about this game. It looks absolutely incredible.
Let me add to this. I've been waiting for 9 years now for ANYTHING Half-Life related by Valve.
And if Valve DOES eventually release Hl3(next decade) I'm definitely betting they'll raise the bar on gaming.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Shame VR is overpriced bullshit.

Don't get me wrong I love the concept of VR, I've loved playing VR games on my work's VR suite, but unless it's under £100 it's unaffordable bullshit for me.

Game looks great, jealous of those rich enough to afford VR.
So is that the cutoff point? Anyone able to afford a VR system over £100 is rich?

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I haven't played PC games much in the last decade. That was a great trailer. Looks great and so much Half-life nostalgia. I guess I'm building a PC, and buying Windows, and buying a VR headset, and rearranging my office for VR, and...