• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Windows Mixed Reality headset but I'm sure it will not be the same experience.

The craziest thing about this is that the game comes out in 5 months. While there was always speculation about them working on Half-Life related VR, they managed to basically produce a full-length Half-Life game without any details or anything leaking.
tons have been leaked, there have been code strings for a HLVR game for years

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, but there's just not enough excitement left in me for Half Life to justify the expense of upgrading (likely outright replacing) my current PC and buying a VR setup. Looking forward to other's impressions though!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Shame VR is overpriced bullshit.

Don't get me wrong I love the concept of VR, I've loved playing VR games on my work's VR suite, but unless it's under £100 it's unaffordable bullshit for me.

Game looks great, jealous of those rich enough to afford VR.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the enemies react to everything that is thrown at them. Screw the gun, that shelf is coming your way.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any walking in that trailer

A lot of VR games have continuous walking now with the thumbstick and I'm sure this one will as well. I don't know if it's just me getting my VR legs or if devs have started to figure out how to keep people comfortable but I no longer get any sickness walking around in VR. I do need to keep snap turning on though, continuous turn still makes me sick. I find it better to physically turn around in RL instead.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like she has some form of proto-gravity gun on her hands?

The one thing, the one thing, that worries me about this game, is that I am an absolute pansy when it comes to even mildly disconcerting environments in VR, and this looks to be a fully fledged horror game in some segments. I'm worried I will get it, then not be able to bring myself to play through some sections.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of VR games have continuous walking now with the thumbstick and I'm sure this one will as well. I don't know if it's just me getting my VR legs or if devs have started to figure out how to keep people comfortable but I no longer get any sickness walking around in VR. I do need to keep snap turning on though, continuous turn still makes me sick. I find it better to physically turn around in RL instead.

It has continuous walking, teleporting and "shifting. https://half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good for sure and the HL vibe is there, but it screams to me that, creatively speaking, Valve is bankrupt in terms of storytelling.
It seems we're going back to the same events, over and over again, just viewed from a different perspective (which they already did back in the days with HL Opposing Force).

Will pass until it's either not on VR, or on a VR platform that is both very cheap and ubiquitous, hopefully in a few years from now.
Shame, I think Alyx deserved to have her own full blown sequel with HL3, and not constrained by VR.

"constrained by VR"

LMAO

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see they brought in Stephen McHattie for Gman duty. Trailer looked awesome, I'll have to look for a cheap VR headset I guess.
Hyped more than I expected. Sad that Eli had to be revoiced and it's not quite the same as Robert Guillaume though, that'll be distracting

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

The one thing, the one thing, that worries me about this game, is that I am an absolute pansy when it comes to even mildly disconcerting environments in VR, and this looks to be a fully fledged horror game in some segments. I'm worried I will get it, then not be able to bring myself to play through some sections.

Grabity Gloves.

Is this a source engine game?

Source 2.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a source engine game?

All the info is on the website. It's a further updated version of Source 2.
vPXVPUS.jpg

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good for sure and the HL vibe is there, but it screams to me that, creatively speaking, Valve is bankrupt in terms of storytelling.
It seems we're going back to the same events, over and over again, just viewed from a different perspective
(which they already did back in the days with HL Opposing Force).

Will pass until it's either not on VR, or on a VR platform that is both very cheap and ubiquitous, hopefully in a few years from now.
Shame, I think Alyx deserved to have her own full blown sequel with HL3, and not constrained by VR.

Please point me in the direction of the non HL: Alyx official HL game set between HL1 and 2. I'm waiting with bated breath!

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
So how do I play this without throwing up all over the room?

I really want to get into VR but the few times I have tried didn't make me feel very good. Is it something I can adjust to over time?

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I really want to get into VR but the few times I have tried didn't make me feel very good. Is it something I can adjust to over time?
You can get your "VR legs" over time, yup. The first time I tried a game with non-teleporting movement I felt pretty bad, but I found out that playing cartoonish games helped a lot there (I got my "VR legs" with Compound VR, a sort of Wolf 3d like game). Of course, the time it takes for you to get adjusted to it might vary.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
What do you think is with all the alien gunk over the walls? I don't recall there being much like that in HL2, except the Antlion tunnels.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
Thinking it through and checking the videos I'm just not seeing myself playing a game with completely cut off surroundings, flailing my arms around.

This does not change the fact that HL: A, the game desing and the technology all does look great and everyone's excitement for it is completely valid. This is just a subjective thing that I can't really fancy the VR platform.

I'm hoping that I'm gonna get a more traditional, "flat" HL experience in the future, but if not that's also cool. I had my share of fun with the previous installments. Maybe one day I'll give this a shot over at a friend's place or something.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking it through and checking the videos I'm just not seeing myself playing a game with completely cut off surroundings, flailing my arms around.

This does not change the fact that HL: A, the game desing and the technology all does look great and everyone's excitement for it is completely valid. This is just a subjective thing that I can't really fancy the VR platform.

I'm hoping that I'm gonna get a more traditional, "flat" HL experience in the future, but if not that's also cool. I had my share of fun with the previous installments. Maybe one day I'll give this a shot over at a friend's place or something.

VR makes you "completely cut off from your surroundings" like wearing headphones makes you completely deaf to the outside world.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Play with the teleport movement or with the comfort options this will very likely have. Barring that, chew ginger candy while playing.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It seems we're going back to the same events, over and over again, just viewed from a different perspective (which they already did back in the days with HL Opposing Force).

This reads more like "constrained by my wallet".

which is true for many of us.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

A PCgamer article already confirmed that her gloves are a gravity gun prototype :D

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

It went away for me after a little while of using it. Used to get dizzy playing some of the launch stuff, Spell Fighter put me on my ass the first time I tried using smooth locomotion. Got used to it after a few sessions and now I can handle anything in VR even doing flips in Sairento. Everyone is different though can try taking it at your own pace or try using medicine or anything with ginger in it.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

VR legs are definitely a thing yeah. Back when I first started RE7 I thought I'd never get used to it, but a few hours of playing gradually made it better.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
VR legs are definitely a thing yeah. Back when I first started RE7 I thought I'd never get used to it, but a few hours of playing gradually made it better.
Can attest to this. When I started using smooth locomotion I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes at a time. Now I'm completely immune to it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

There are so many reasons why you may feel sick with VR, without context, no one can answer this for you.
- Poor quality, old headset, old tracking methodology, display methodology
- Poor FPS
- Poor Tracking
- Poorly designed game
- Poor resolution
- Poorly designed game
- Incorrectly set eye relief, IPD, field of view etc

If you tried mobile VR, or Labo, this is entirely unsurprising, as most are awful or can track poorly and thus making you sick