• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This graphic should be in OP......

Vvve4pb.jpg
Is this from Half-Life Alyx or did it exist before?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think it's good that they didn't just jump into Half Life 3 after so many years. I think this probably did make a good warmup for them.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Oh my... It looks so good...
Haven't been this hyped by a trailer since BOTW trailers...
And I'm not even a big Half Life 2 fan (I do really like 1 tho)

Seems indeed like a big game changer for VR.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
a lot of flat gamers in here, they could be put in a VR headset to prove games are not flat and not meant to be played flat and would still call it a conspiracy and retreat to their echo chamber conspiracy forums to discuss with other flat gamers.
jk

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was pretty cool. I dig into oculus rift a little bit but was underwhelmed by VR. Maybe this will change things? Perhaps these new next gen headsets are worth it.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the trailer has some quotes from HL2 might mean we play through what happens after HL1 into a bit of HL2? Maybe see the game through Alyx's eyes instead of Gordon?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought it was kind of a weak trailer personally. Not sure why they felt the need to replace the actor for Alyx. Eli.. looks and sounds off. Music, which is a massive component of HL, sounded pretty standard and not at all like it usually does in the franchise. It just.. didn't really have much of a HL feel, to me anyway. Probably just the way the trailer was cut.

That said, conceptually, it's awesome, and there's some really great artwork happening with the building of the citadel.

I'm going to need some in depth gameplay demos before even thinking about buying VR for this game.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
What if this "you should play Episode Two first" stuff is that this is all framed as a story that Alyx is telling Gordon on the helicopter ride to the Borealis because she's reminiscing about Eli and how it all started for her.

Like you just turn to your right and you see a fully modeled modern gen Gordon Freeman sitting in the next seat.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see a new installment but the art direction, especially with the characters lets me down a bit. HL2 is not really stylized, while this clearly goes into that direction. Something in the character stylization sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Not hating it, but its a bit.. I dont know how to word it. The old HL2 had a bit more finesse to it in the characters and the world, this feels too crowded and over the top. I saw the next graphical step in HL to have characters photo scanned from unique looking people and a certain look to the world that I am not really seeing here.

Anyway, never thought I would see the day VALVE announcing a new HL game! cant wait to actually play the game.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I must say that this does indeed look amazing and if you have disposable income you're jumping for joy. However, for those that do not have disposable income, which is probably most of us, this has to be one of the dumbest decisions by a developer ever. I understand that they have a vision, but you're also in the business of making money. There are people out there, mostly with common sense, that just aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars to play 1 game. I'm not that's for sure. But it does indeed look like VR finally has its killer app. I'll just wait it out until its affordable.

Valve doesn't expect anyone to buy a $1000 Index and $1500 PC to play this. This is for the millions of people who already have a modern gaming PC and have been thinking about buying (or already own) one of the cheaper VR headsets like Rifts, Quest, WMR, or Vive 1.0's. Anyone who could afford a PC capable of running this and has $60 to spend on singular videogames can come up with $200 or $300 for an HMD (far less if you're willing to buy second hand).

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the cheapest possible way to play this? I have no idea about VR headsets.

Valve spent the last several years making SteamVR. SteamVR is to VR headsets, what OpenGL or DirectX is to Graphics Cards. It lets VR applications run on any PCVR headset.

Buy the cheapest VR headset that explicitly connects to your PC. Those are usually the Microsoft Windows VR headsets. You can buy them on ebay for about $130.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it "looks" fantastic. Seeing it all again in a modern game, City 17, the Citadel, the Combine soldiers, G-Man at the end there... it makes me want a Half-Life game that plays in a conventional manner all the more. The VR stuff looks pretty neat. I'm sure people who want that are in for an absolute treat.

I don't think I've ever felt so utterly conflicted over a game as this before. I really want to play it because it's a new Half-Life; I really don't want to play it because it's VR. :\

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What if this "you should play Episode Two first" stuff is that this is all framed as a story that Alyx is telling Gordon on the helicopter ride to the Borealis because she's reminiscing about Eli and how it all started for her.

Like you just turn to your right and you see a fully modeled modern gen Gordon Freeman sitting in the next seat.
Or you turn to your right and see a fully modeled modern gen Alyx Vance sitting in the next seat, because you are now Gordon Freeman. Roll credits.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
If you read, it's basically ep3 (builds on ep2)
Exactly, and that enrages me a bit.

Before anyone could talk about port-begging: this is not the case.

Had the game been announced for any traditional platform I'd have simply considered buying it, just like any other exclusive.

In this case yet they announced what is basically a new chapter for a long-neglected saga for a completely different kind of platform. One which is not useable for everyone due to specific requirements and features.

Legit, of course.

Yet, this will for sure make my stand change regarding giving money to Valve.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Has it been made clear why Merle Dandridge isn't voicing Alyx?
She now sounds quite a bit older than alyx in HL2 (she came up on the VVN stream) and this takes place before that so she would be even a few years younger. its been 15 years, would be strange to have a younger alyx have the voice of an far older woman

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Either a Quest/Rift S (US$399) or a WMR set when those go on sale (I've seen good sales on the Odyssey+, like 200-300 USD range).
Valve spent the last several years making SteamVR. SteamVR is to VR headsets, what OpenGL or DirectX is to Graphics Cards. It lets VR applications run on any PCVR headset.

Buy the cheapest VR headset that explicitly connects to your PC. Those are usually the Microsoft Windows VR headsets. You can buy them on ebay for about $130.
Thanks folks! I'll look into all this.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019

There's definilty going to be some hook or framing device that's after episode 2.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actually pretty surprised about lack of lashback regarding VR here (steam forum for example is a mess). Guess it makes sense because Resetera have lot of familiarity with consoles; people are familiar with having to upgrade their device for newer games.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I have a Windows Mixed Reality headset but I'm sure it will not be the same experience.

The craziest thing about this is that the game comes out in 5 months. While there was always speculation about them working on Half-Life related VR, they managed to basically produce a full-length Half-Life game without any details or anything leaking.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good for sure and the HL vibe is there, but it screams to me that, creatively speaking, Valve is bankrupt in terms of storytelling.
It seems we're going back to the same events, over and over again, just viewed from a different perspective (which they already did back in the days with HL Opposing Force).

Will pass until it's either not on VR, or on a VR platform that is both very cheap and ubiquitous, hopefully in a few years from now.
Shame, I think Alyx deserved to have her own full blown sequel with HL3, and not constrained by VR.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll buy an Index just so I can have that Alyx (gun) skin in CSGO or whatever that will be.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Windows Mixed Reality headset but I'm sure it will not be the same experience.

The craziest thing about this is that the game comes out in 5 months. While there was always speculation about them working on Half-Life related VR, they managed to basically produce a full-length Half-Life game without any details or anything leaking.

Although no game footage has leaked, there has been plenty of information for a long time.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good for sure and the HL vibe is there, but it screams to me that, creatively speaking, Valve is bankrupt in terms of storytelling.
It seems we're going back to the same events, over and over again, just viewed from a different perspective (which they already did back in the days with HL Opposing Force).

Will pass until it's either not on VR, or on a VR platform that is both very cheap and ubiquitous, hopefully in a few years from now.
Shame, I think Alyx deserved to have her own full blown sequel with HL3, and not constrained by VR.

VR is not constraining anything. It's traditional keyboard and mouse that's constraining stuff.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

I get that people wish it were on a traditional platform, too, but stuff like this really make it seem like that would be hard to do and still retain the experience.