• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Look awesome.

Can this be played sitting down moving the character with a joystick? I don't want to stand for hours playing a game, plus I have no room in my gaming area to be standing around waving my arms.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Ridiculous - and the Portal demo in the lab is a clear example of this.
In VR, the fidelity you can see at the macro level, is going to be huge. This absolutely is a huge leap - even looking at just the trailer. I can tell you that from the sheer comparison of the Portal demo for video capture, to actually playing it in VR and looking at individual objects.

I used to work in the VR industry so I'm familiar with the Portal VR stuff. It looks good (art style change not withstanding), but it's more that it looks good for a VR game. If this was a normal Half-life game I would expect something more in line with the 2003 reveal.

Resident Evil 7 looks much more realistic to me.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found some footage of what From Other Suns does:

Your character runs out of your body as you hold the thumbstick, and your view snaps to the new body position when you stop moving. This isn't how I'd play Alyx, but I think it's a very good comfort option to have and preferable to bog-standard teleportation. I don't think "Shift" in that diagram is referring to something like this.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I was going to upgrade my pc for Doom Eternal, but now I have no choice. Aand i'll need a VR set too I guess.

This trailer feels surreal, they even did G-Man

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my laptop meets the minimum requirements. Can't wait.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
oh shit I didn't make the connection but Dario Casali is one of the dudes that made Plutonia for Doom 2 back in the day. I knew he worked at Valve but didn't realize that was him.

so we can expect a lot of Chaingunners in HLVR

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
God damnit, now we need someone to help us fools get into the VR game. I have no idea what to look at and buy.

Don't wanna go too cheap, don't wanna go all out cause I dunno how much VR I'm going to do. Shit.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also props to them for announcing this before Black Friday/Cyber Monday so people can more cheaply upgrade their PC's if need be.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

qtamir1

Oct 28, 2017
Looks pretty amazing for a vr experience. Really hope they will invest some time and try release also like a normal non-vr version for normal players, because this feels like a full pledged game to me for some reason.

Let's Hope it's the start of a new era for valve which they will go back to releasing quality games!

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
What part of hl2 wasn't basically a straight line to the next area?

Also the trailer showed about 1 minute of a 15 hour game.. maybe hold off on judging until more than 0.1% of it has been shown
I didn't claim the game was nonlinear. I'm saying within that linearity there was lots of chances for exploration and experimentation with the games physics. I remember spending hours just messing around with the gravity gun, just seeing what I could manipulate.

I can only go by what's shown but this seems more like a straight forward cinematic style game as opposed to the sandbox style of the first two.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh FFS Valve you bastards, I want to be able to play it but have no VR and no room for VR.

I am both very salty and very sad right now

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Source 2 has been used to power Dota 2 for quite a while. Is there something new to this version?
Well Dota 2's src 2 is very much specifically for that game and nothing else. But as far as Valve says this version will be the full legitimate release of SRC2, and it's tools.

I can only imagine that they will have a completely finished SFM, Hammer and the rest of the tools not available in the Dota 2 SDK currently will as well.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't claim the game was nonlinear. I'm saying within that linearity there was lots of chances for exploration and experimentation with the games physics. I remember spending hours just messing around with the gravity gun, just seeing what I could manipulate.

I can only go by what's shown but this seems more like a straight forward cinematic style game as opposed to the sandbox style of the first two.

literally everything Valve has been releasing in VR for the last several years have been insanely interactive small demos. Valve is one of the best studios in the world right now for building insanely interactive VR.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
if you told me Valve would announce a new Half Life game and I wouldn't give a single shit about it then I wouldnt have believed you.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people consider the S as having much less value nowadays, but I do think it definitely is still better. Comfort-wise, refresh rate (only 8 hz higher) is better and it natively runs on the PC so it has less compression issues. And a bit better tracking.

However, with the Quest you can also wirelessly play mobile VR games, which is great too, so people tend to recommend that. If you really only are interested in playing PC games I would go with the S though.

Thanks for the reply. Is the Quest just as accurate without the sensors?

Yeah, but only on the quest games, which are much less interesting than the PC lineup.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Final Fantasy 7 Remake and a new Half Life game comes out in the same month...

we have gotten Kingdom Hearts 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3...

Never give up.
Banjo Kazooie announced in 2020 >:)