• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Some of those scenes looked like stylized graphics, i.e. cg and not actually in game. It looks great but fuck if I'm spending $700 on a VR headset though. At least there are a lot used Vives on marketplace I guess.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
SnapCrab_NoName_2019-11-21_19-35-30_No-00.png

Global Top Seller list
This is crazy.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
For everyone pointing out the disconnected hands, it's far more jarring in a 2D space like a video vs. when you're actually immersed in the VR experience. I never noticed them when actually in-game and it's something I'd be sensitive to.
Definitely agree with this. Though I am a bit surprised considering how much they worked with the Boneworks guys. I was pretty sure a full body was going to be there, but it's still going to be one hell of a game nonetheless.

Neidii

Oct 30, 2017
It looks great and I'm definitely super interested in this game but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I really just wanted a sequel after that damn cliffhanger in episode 2 and it's been so long. I'm still very hyped though and it might convince me to finally buy a vr headset

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping they showed her face in-game. Want to see what she looks like with the new tech.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks awesome. VR is really starting to come into it's own with some big meaty games.

You don't have to spend NEARLY that much. A decent PC for VR will be way less than 1000 and you can get a Quest with a Link compatible cable for just over $400.
Pardon my complete ignorance, but what does the Link cable do exactly?

Also would quest be able to run this?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
It does look pretty good, but sadly VR-only means that I can't play it. Unfortunately

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. I forgot how asthetic city 17 was. Exploring it in VR will be genuinely exciting.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It works but it looks jank af, Lone Echo may be the best of the bunch in that regard.
Early implementations sure, but the algorithms got a lot better and they really don't look janky anymore. Hell, I'd say Until You Fall's is the best implementation I've seen even over Lone Echo. And again, look at Boneworks. At least the option to turn it on and off would have been nice which is something I've seen lately.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
So if I buy a Quest and then use Link to play this, is it basically running on my PC like any other VR setup would be running it?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked that they recast Alyx

Merle had even come back for some voice work on Dota 2 not that long ago

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
If you have the option of moving around or teleporting, how do they design the gameplay around that? If you're being shot at by enemies it seems like teleporting would give you an advantage, or perhaps a disadvantage because you're trying to point at where you want to teleport?

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Pardon my complete ignorance, but what does the Link cable do exactly?

Also would quest be able to run this?

Link cable lets you hook it up to your PC to play VR games directly from your PC.

The Quest natively running it is probably out of the question considering the minimum specs for it on the Steam page.

If you have the option of moving around or teleporting, how do they design the gameplay around that? If you're being shot at by enemies it seems like teleporting would give you an advantage, or perhaps a disadvantage because you're trying to point at where you want to teleport?

You do have 2 hands, so 1 could be used to teleport and one could be used to shoot. The teleport could just work on a cooldown during a firefight.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I was gonna get a Quest. But maybe if I have enough money I'll get and index and a new PC instead... Naaah I'll stick with the quest and pray to Satan for a good port or try that Oculus Link.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Early implementations sure, but the algorithms got a lot better and they really don't look janky anymore. Hell, I'd say Until You Fall's is the best implementation I've seen even over Lone Echo. And again, look at Boneworks. At least the option to turn it on and off would have been nice which is something I've seen lately.
Actually, in the latest trailer I really didn't like the way the hands moved with body, it's actually my job to do these things in animation and movies (rigger) and the way the hands move and the arm doesn't is legit distracting to me, but to each their own.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not perfect but I've played at least a few different games with full bodies and IK arms and they work just fine. Lone Echo, Until You Fall, Blade and Sorcery, and Boiling Point's beta off the top of my head. Boneworks is going all in with it and it looks great. Sure, there are moments here and there where your elbow doesn't perfectly line up but it really doesn't take me out of the game as much as not being able to see my body does. Plus in this context it would have added more points of physical contact. Like instead of clearing stuff off the shelf with just your hands, you'd be able to do it with you whole arm.

I've played lone echo and blade and sorcery, plus other games where you have a body, and I don't think it added anything to my experience. Certainly not enough to overcome the awkwardness of looking down at a torso and arms that don't look or move like mine.

Until they can do body tracking with external cameras or whatever, it seems like the best decision is to not represent what you aren't tracking.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
What I loved is that they are playing to so many strengths of VR as a medium like scale and also more notable suspense, for example when her hand is locked in the machine that's doing work on it and shes shooting either side as her enemies come towards her will feel x100 more intense in VR than on an old traditional flat game

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can connect it to your PC and use it as a PC headset with the Link cable. The Quest just becomes a headset, you don't "run" the game off it.
I see, so the Quest without the link cable requires the game to have some sort of partnership with Facebook and is exclusive on there?

So in other words, Valve won't port a Quest version?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Minimum requirements: GTX 1060 6 GB

Phew, right at the cut-off point

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the people who are playing VR for the first time because of this, and when they load up the game they're in pitch blackness and then they see this approaching them.
Ee4VZIY.png

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
2020 is truly going to be the greatest year in about 20 years for gaming.

Too bad I dont have a PC to play this on. But looks awesome.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
so how does the index work if i want to sit down and play this? do i still need the base stations?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not on rails. It's teleportation or full locomotion, depending on what you can handle.
So it's teleportation then for most people. Room constraints will give you a box to play in, but teleportation is still kind of a bum way to solve movement issues. I assume at this point, it'll be years until we solve one of the few problems I have with VR to begin with.

Finger tracking is cool, but not cool enough for me to drop bank on a VR setup in 2020. I can't even scrounge together an extra $1000 to build even a mid-range PC at this point and I'm not going to drop even more on top of it to meet VR for a single game...Half-Life or otherwise.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that, for those not using direct thumbstick movement, they offer the From Other Suns option: when you're artificially moving with the thumbstick, your character's body runs outside of your own, and when you stop moving your perspective zips to your body's new position.

So it's teleportation then for most people. Room constraints will give you a box to play in, but teleportation is still kind of a bum way to solve movement issues. I assume at this point, it'll be years until we solve one of the few problems I have with VR to begin with.
I don't think it's a given that "most people" are inherently incompatible with direct motion. Between FOV reduction and games using slower/more consistent movement, there are a lot of ways to handle game areas larger than one's IRL room and none of them are mutually exclusive.