• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since the game was announced we have had many users say that they will wait for a non VR mod and play that when they are able to. Now I still have a VR backlog so I wont play Alyx for at least a month, and I have been in a media blackout so IDK how interactive it is but is it something you think will be modded into a playable non VR port at some point?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
No.

I can't imagine not having two virtual hands. The "hacking" would not work at all in many cases with a mouse & keyboard. You could not do anything else while shooting. You could not move some things out of your way. And I know someone will mod it to be non-VR, but it will be some horrible mess :P

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
There is (or will be) a mode that lets you play with one controller. I'm sure modders can work with that. It will probably be terrible tho.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. You would have to rebuild the game from the ground up to be workable, much less good. I'm 7 hours in and the biggest fight I've had was against... 4 dudes, I think? Compare that to HL2 where you fight dozens of dudes in the first hour.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Someone is going to eventually do it, and people will try it then say they don't understand the hype.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, all the best parts of it are tied directly into vr. You'd be better off just watching a playthrough.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
No. I beat the game nearly two weeks ago and had a lot of time to think about this. From my Ars Technica review:

The question I've seen again and again about HL:A is the following: Will it get a non-VR port? Having beaten the game, I can safely say that the answer is no, because a flat-screen version would (to borrow a popular phrase as of late) flatten the game's curve. You'd lose everything that makes the game's most memorable (and spoilable) scenes work. You'd also likely be bored and confused by the way combat plays out, since conventional control systems change the pace and speed of first-person action. HL:A would need a top-to-bottom redesign to flatten both of those extremes out.

In other words, the time spent redesigning HL:A to work outside of VR would *absolutely* be better spent on a brand-new flat-screen game with more plot stakes. The amount of work they'd need to invest would be staggering, that's how crucial head- and hand-tracking are to the way the game's geometry, dialogue, and combat sequences play out.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
No just playing it you can tell everything about this game was designed with VR and motion controls in mind. If you took those away and replaced them with simple button presses it just wouldn't be fun or anywhere near the same game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It can and will be done, but almost everything that makes the game unique and interesting will be lost.

You can't just map a whole environmental interaction with your own physical limbs to a button press and expect the same experience. You can't replicate a headcrab ACTUALLY jumping at your head in a flat way to inspire the same reaction.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Very strong no. They made this in VR for multiple reasons, and at the top of that list is user input. VR motion control input is extremely context-based like real life, which makes it extremely intuitive to do advanced things. It's like everything you do looks like a QTE but you have full control. Humans were given the gift of dexterity/fine motor control, and Valve makes use of it.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even on the highest difficulty it would be way too easy to just click heads in this and press r to reload

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Without the VR you're basically left with a super slow and boring version of Half-life 2.

I've yet to encounter the supposed revolutionary VR gameplay during my playthrough, but I'll admit that it wouldn't be nearly as fun if I couldn't see the models up close in 3D or toss chairs around. Things that are novel or entertaining in VR are super basic outside of VR.

If someone just wants to see the story/world and isn't expecting a traditional Half-life experience on par with the first two games, then I think it's perfectly doable for the most part.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I haven't even played the game, but from what I've seen from the end of the game alone: NO

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it can and will be done but it will lose the magic that makes it special. It really is designed for VR.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Still hope Valve does more VR games but maybe a potential Half Life 3 could be like RE7 that works both ways.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Someone will try, and it will be absolutely terrible. This game was not designed for flat screen gaming.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Feasible as in easily done? Absolutely not.

Feasible as in likely to happen? Probably, and it'll probably be awful.

Jan 15, 2018
I'm sure someone will figure it out, it'll probably be terrible since a lot of what makes the game so great is how the gameplay and story combine with VR.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No way, no how. Someone will do it anyway and it'll be atrocious but VR detractors will still use it as a faulty leverage point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dont you use motion controls to aim? That alone will be a pain in the ass to get around, let alone shooting your gun in 3 dimensions being a part of the gameplay

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the inevitable non-VR mod of HLA will be the the video game equivalent of the guy on The Simpsons bitterly eating the lemon.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Someone will do something with it. It'll also be entirely pointless, tedious and miss the entire point of the game - so I don't know why anyone would ever bother to either do it or try and play it that way.

If the point is to experience the story, then you're still missing a lot by not playing it in VR - but you're far better off just watching someone else play it.

To say you want Half-Life: Alyx without the VR is saying you want an entirely different game. Like me saying I want Super Mario 64 but as a 2D platformer instead because I don't like 3D platformers.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you could but it wouldnt be that enjoyable.
To make it enjoyable, you would just need to:
-Redesign level design to account for differences between VR and normal gaming in how levels are experienced.
-Redesign parts of the storytelling that are done environmentally taking advantage of VR and make them more clear for the user.
-Redesign encounters to account for differences between combat in VR and combat in normal gaming
-Playtest some areas as the feelings you want to imprint into the player might not be shown in the same way in VR and in normal gaming (for instance the whole quarantine area shown on the trailers).

Which basically would mean just making a game from scratch with just the pointers from the story. At that moment you might as well make a game from scratch.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
It's going to be pure dog shit if it does happen.

Completely losing everything that makes it special. This is like asking if you can make Half-Life 2 into a 2d side scroller.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No. No chance. It wouldn't work, or be able anywhere near as engaging, out of VR.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
VR dev here - all of the vr projects I've worked on have had a developer only "screen mode" that lets you move the character/camera and do basic interactions without being in VR. These modes / player controllers are made to make development and testing easier and faster. If you're just testing some basic scripting or a world element, you don't need to be looking at it in VR all of the time to do iterations, so not having to pick up your headset and switch from screen to VR and back a million times a day is helpful!

Many times these modes are used in conjunction with hotkeys / cheats to perform basic stuff - like a keypress could automatically act like holding your glove out and letting it go could act like the "wrist flick" that brings objects your way. Taking out a clip and reloading could be mapped to a keypress. An on-screen cursor could take the place of aiming, grab mechanics could be automated and mapped to a generic use etc.

I've played about 2 hours of Alyx so far, and depending on how hacky a mod could get (access core features like calling reload on the gun, advancing the next stage of a puzzle, or enabling something to be picked up with a cursor instead of two hands), it'd be possible to do a non-vr mod, but it still wouldn't *feel* like playing the game the way it was meant to be played would feel. It would be compromised and while you might be able to play through it, it'd likely feel hobbled or *not as good*, etc. But conceivably possible? Probably.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be like playing Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents with a controller. Sure, you can tap the button and spin the thumbstick, but it kills the design. Half-Life: Alyx is a VR game. It will get modded for flat screen and people will play it for the story, but it won't be half the game the VR experience is.