• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
People are making custom campaign/maps now even without official tools. This one looks cool:

Alyx Mods

The Home of All Things Half-Life Alyx Custom Maps and Mods

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
People who don't make mods don't understand, but official tools are very often worse than community driven tools. There was never a need to wait for "official" support. Valve themselves even says this.
Kind of makes sense. I've yet to make any Beat Saber maps with the official editor because the fan made one is so much better and easier to use.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So I'm getting a PC soon and ICANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!! Quick question how are people using a quest + link cable enjoying it?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
the tools don't really have anything to do ease of installing or using mods. Workshop support is a distribution system, not a modding tool. Plenty of titles on steam with workshop support are wrapping community tools.
I mean that when there are official tools, there's official support, as in easier options to launch.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that when there are official tools, there's official support, as in easier options to launch.

that's exactly what I replied to. Steam workshop support turns mods into a one-click launch experience. You're talking about the distribution system for the mods, which doesn't really matter if they are official tools or not.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
People who don't make mods don't understand, but official tools are very often worse than community driven tools. There was never a need to wait for "official" support. Valve themselves even says this.

I simultaneously agree and disagree with this. Modders aren't constrained by the business need to ship a game, so they can spend as much time working on tools as they want. However, the tools Valve will ship will be far better than anything modders can come up with in the short term. Obviously lots of Source 2 stuff is public already, but there's going to be a bunch of new stuff coming with Alyx, specifically geared for developing the game. Over time, as you saw with games like TF2, community tools will outpace the official tools, but in the short term: no way that'll be true.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
that's exactly what I replied to. Steam workshop support turns mods into a one-click launch experience. You're talking about the distribution system for the mods, which doesn't really matter if they are official tools or not.
Not just distribution system, but also launch/in-game system, which would go hand in hand with official tools. They're not going to implement either (distribution system or launch/in-game system) without official tools.

We might be talking past eachother here though.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
However, the tools Valve will ship will be far better than anything modders can come up with in the short term

Valve themselves disagree:

They say explicitly in this lecture that one of their core beliefs is that passionate fans who turn to modding will ultimately create the best tools available, and that as content creators, it's best to merely facilitate their tools with workshop than to try and best them.

"The community will make [tools] better, because they can experiment and iterate faster than [valve] ever could"

Last edited:

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Valve themselves disagree:

They say explicitly in this lecture that one of their core beliefs is that passionate fans who turn to modding will ultimately create the best tools available, and that as content creators, it's best to merely facilitate their tools with workshop than to try and best them.

"The community will make [tools] better, because they can experiment and iterate faster than [valve] ever could"

I'm not disagreeing with that. The keyword you use is "ultimately." What I'm trying to say is that it will take time before community modding tools are higher quality.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
...anyone happen to have a save file from midway through chapter 3?

I lost my save data. On an offline computer with no Steam Cloud.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack, chapter 1 available

store.steampowered.com

Half-Life: Alyx Soundtrack on Steam

The official soundtrack to Half-Life: Alyx. Following the story and locations of Half-Life: Alyx, the soundtrack evolves and combines industrial, electronic, experimental and orchestral cinematic pieces, alternating between abstract environmental, emotional soundscapes and direct action oriented...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Soundtrack, chapter 1 available

store.steampowered.com

Half-Life: Alyx Soundtrack on Steam

The official soundtrack to Half-Life: Alyx. Following the story and locations of Half-Life: Alyx, the soundtrack evolves and combines industrial, electronic, experimental and orchestral cinematic pieces, alternating between abstract environmental, emotional soundscapes and direct action oriented...

Also on Spotify:

open.spotify.com

Half-Life: Alyx (Chapter 1, "Entanglement")

Valve · Album · 2020 · 9 songs.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I am a pretty big Half-Life fan having caught up with just about everything in the universe. Being a Mac user I just had to build a high spec PC and buy the index kit to play this long-awaited entry.

Firstly, wow, this game is so incredibly immersive. Valve has done an excellent job of adapting the Half-Life world to VR.

But man is this game stressful. I could barely play it initially, being absolutely terrified of what might be around the corner.
Walking around in the pitch black as well
... oh lordy is that not just the worst.

I understand what Half-Life is about and that there have been some pretty scary moments in past games and the whole thing is designed to pretty tense, but this just feels like torture. I would like to see
more going on above ground, or combat with Combine rather than creatures

I just finished the
hotel
and am seriously considering watching somebody stream the remainder if they
send me back underground or into some dark location again

I want to experience the story but VR is just too much for this I guess. I'd say the same for Resident Evil or Doom - as much as I enjoy those series, I'm not going anywhere near them in VR. I guess I should just stick to the more tame/family friendly VR experiences.

Not to mention it didn't help that my phone started blaring an emergency alert alarm followed by a mg.5 earthquake while playing yesterday! Oh my heart...

As much as I appreciate what they have done here I do hope and pray that if there is to be a Half-Life 3 it is a non-VR game :(

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I am a pretty big Half-Life fan having caught up with just about everything in the universe. Being a Mac user I just had to build a high spec PC and buy the index kit to play this long-awaited entry.

Firstly, wow, this game is so incredibly immersive. Valve has done an excellent job of adapting the Half-Life world to VR.

But man is this game stressful. I could barely play it initially, being absolutely terrified of what might be around the corner.
Walking around in the pitch black as well
... oh lordy is that not just the worst.

I understand what Half-Life is about and that there have been some pretty scary moments in past games and the whole thing is designed to pretty tense, but this just feels like torture. I would like to see
more going on above ground, or combat with Combine rather than creatures

I just finished the
hotel
and am seriously considering watching somebody stream the remainder if they
send me back underground or into some dark location again

I want to experience the story but VR is just too much for this I guess. I'd say the same for Resident Evil or Doom - as much as I enjoy those series, I'm not going anywhere near them in VR. I guess I should just stick to the more tame/family friendly VR experiences.

Not to mention it didn't help that my phone started blaring an emergency alert alarm followed by a mg.5 earthquake while playing yesterday! Oh my heart...

As much as I appreciate what they have done here I do hope and pray that if there is to be a Half-Life 3 it is a non-VR game :(

There is one more dark bit, it doesn't last very long. There are a few more bits where the flashlight gets turned on, but only briefly. After Chapter 7 the game doesn't really have any more extended horror sequences. You can do it! As somebody who also struggled with the dark environments, it's really worth persevering.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
There is one more dark bit, it doesn't last very long. There are a few more bits where the flashlight gets turned on, but only briefly. After Chapter 7 the game doesn't really have any more extended horror sequences. You can do it! As somebody who also struggled with the dark environments, it's really worth persevering.
Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm glad to hear they tame down the horror aspect later into the game. I'll keep pushing through.

I absolutely love the exploration aspect and the "Russells" gravity gloves and various gestures are so much fun. But seriously, calm down on the jump scares! 😂

Oct 25, 2017
fuck...fuck...fuck...fuck fuck fuck fuck

this game was really good for the longest time, really neat interactions satisfying combat across different, absolutely clever use of making VR just mindblowing like
whenever you try to stop the train and the handle breaks off, and then you pull the track change lever then have to hold it as the train crashes

So cool, but then....then you get to the latter parts of the game, and fuck nothing has ever compared to this

Gameplay got really cool as I got the laser sight and antlions showed up, really enjoyed every encounter at that point, but then the fucking moments from there. trying to connect the bridge to the vault and having it crash in your face, it was like Modern Warfare's nuke moment ratcheted up. Then the fucking Strider. I'm so glad I can use artificial locomotion, because charging between hiding points and using jump to rush gaps was exhilarating. But the the fucking turret. I've never ever enjoyed a turret before. Then you get this one, and you are cranking fucking rounds at the strider. I was cracking a smile the whole time.

Then just literally everything from there on out. The crazy warped corridors and upside shit at the start of the vault, then walking into the room and realizing you were about to have to fight, then that moment you figure out how you will fight. Then just goddamn flinging fucking lightning everywhere like a fucking wizard. Incredible experience.

And then getting into the vault, and just realizing how fucking wrong the gordon freeman assumption was as you see G-Man's sillhouette and knowing you were about to break him out.

And then just everything talking to him, the audio was so fucking good here and the changing scenarios and planet views, and taking the briefcase. fukcing amazing.

Then that last moment where you are Gordon and the game ends with you taking the crowbar. What a fucking moment.

fucking hell, easily one of the best games I've ever played. Top 10 for sure. Fuck I want more, so much more.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

this game was really good for the longest time, really neat interactions satisfying combat across different, absolutely clever use of making VR just mindblowing like
whenever you try to stop the train and the handle breaks off, and then you pull the track change lever then have to hold it as the train crashes

So cool, but then....then you get to the latter parts of the game, and fuck nothing has ever compared to this

Gameplay got really cool as I got the laser sight and antlions showed up, really enjoyed every encounter at that point, but then the fucking moments from there. trying to connect the bridge to the vault and having it crash in your face, it was like Modern Warfare's nuke moment ratcheted up. Then the fucking Strider. I'm so glad I can use artificial locomotion, because charging between hiding points and using jump to rush gaps was exhilarating. But the the fucking turret. I've never ever enjoyed a turret before. Then you get this one, and you are cranking fucking rounds at the strider. I was cracking a smile the whole time.

Then just literally everything from there on out. The crazy warped corridors and upside shit at the start of the vault, then walking into the room and realizing you were about to have to fight, then that moment you figure out how you will fight. Then just goddamn flinging fucking lightning everywhere like a fucking wizard. Incredible experience.

And then getting into the vault, and just realizing how fucking wrong the gordon freeman assumption was as you see G-Man's sillhouette and knowing you were about to break him out.

And then just everything talking to him, the audio was so fucking good here and the changing scenarios and planet views, and taking the briefcase. fukcing amazing.

Then that last moment where you are Gordon and the game ends with you taking the crowbar. What a fucking moment.

fucking hell, easily one of the best games I've ever played. Top 10 for sure. Fuck I want more, so much more.

I hear ya. I seriously doubt any other game will come out this year that is better for me than this.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah similar for me. I found myself also getting super energetic in every stressful area / battles etc, and really using the space of my room. Made me feel cool as fuck haha

It's the best game experience I've ever had, and I've been playing since the 90s

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah similar for me. I found myself also getting super energetic in every stressful area / battles etc, and really using the space of my room. Made me feel cool as fuck haha

It's the best game experience I've ever had, and I've been playing since the 90s
im old too...I'm not one of those people thats started feeling disconnected with games, i still enjoy so much, but I don't remember the last time I've felt this insanely impressed. Uncharted 2 maybe? Its beena while for sure

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
This game just keeps getting better for me. Can't remember the last time I was so impressed by character models either. I love doing even the simple things: opening doors by the handle and pushing them open, reloading the various guns, and even just aiming the flashlight separately from the gun. I just wish I had more room to play. I really wonder if anytime soon we will get an even better option for full body movement without risk of bumping into anything.

I've also noticed something weird after playing in VR for a while, and I'm not quite sure how best to describe it. When I'm holding something out in front of me with a hand, like a phone, it just doesn't quite feel quite right sometimes, like I'm too used to having VR hands in front of me or something. Is that like, a thing?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I've also noticed something weird after playing in VR for a while, and I'm not quite sure how best to describe it. When I'm holding something out in front of me with a hand, like a phone, it just doesn't quite feel quite right sometimes, like I'm too used to having VR hands in front of me or something. Is that like, a thing?
Probably a sort of tetris effect. I add depth to 2d images if I played VR enough that day.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Madjoki has found that they are updating the depot a ton with regards to Workshop and Editor support so we might get news about it soon!

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I catch myself sometimes going to gravity glove objects in real life. "Oh my phone's over there, I'll just pull it... oh."

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
There has been such a void after playing through HL: Alyx a couple of times. I have nowhere to go from here lol.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017

That exact same thing happened to me while playing Alyx. Sometimes I'd look down at my IRL hands holding something and for brief moments they almost felt like they weren't attached to my body and were floating VR hands lol.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Workshop is live! Also, Vulkan rendering has been added!

store.steampowered.com

Half-Life: Alyx - The Half-Life: Alyx Workshop is now open - Steam News

Expand the world of Half-Life: Alyx with new levels and addons made by the community, or make your own with the level editing tools beta release.

There has been such a void after playing through HL: Alyx a couple of times. I have nowhere to go from here lol.

Pistol Whip is my new obsession, it's just perfect.

Last edited:

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I am so excited to break down the AnimGraph of Combine soldiers. It's such a rare opportunity to see how these assets are actually built in a AAA game. Paragon is the only game I know of which has made such assets available to the public, and even then, they're stripped down versions of the real thing.

An interesting note from the AnimGraph docs, which I think heavily implies that Source 2 CS:GO is a thing:
The AnimGraph keeps a cache of the most recent pose recipes so that older poses can be evaluated when necessary. For example, when performing hit testing in a networked environment it is often useful to evaluate the pose from the time that the shot was taken to determine whether or not the shot was was successful.

Also, lol:
Tags are data driven. Each graph can define its own set of unique tags without any modification to code. AnimEvents must all have a unique entry in a static list defined in the code. This list has gotten very big as new events have been created over the years, and events that might be unique to one project will still show up in the builds of all the others, leading to leaks about unannounced projects.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Am I doing something wrong that the game seems pretty blurry? I think I've got the lens distance about right on the Index, but things seem more low res than I would have thought (maybe the lens got dirty somehow?). Is VR just generally like that on every headset?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Am I doing something wrong that the game seems pretty blurry? I think I've got the lens distance about right on the Index, but things seem more low res than I would have thought (maybe the lens got dirty somehow?). Is VR just generally like that on every headset?

I played on an Odyssey + and thought it was pretty clear. Do you usually wear glasses?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I played on an Odyssey + and thought it was pretty clear. Do you usually wear glasses?

I don't, although I know my husband tried playing with glasses at first, so I didn't know if maybe there was any chance his glasses smudged the lens or something. I might just be expecting more from VR at the moment than I should though; I can still see pretty clearly, but it feels like it can get out of focus quite easily.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
VR is blurry. it will not look like the images/video you see in trailers--its basically that but strapped centimeters from your eyes.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back to it and finish the game at some point... I kinda stopped playing for whatever reason once I got to the museum.

Roughly how long do I have left to do?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't, although I know my husband tried playing with glasses at first, so I didn't know if maybe there was any chance his glasses smudged the lens or something. I might just be expecting more from VR at the moment than I should though; I can still see pretty clearly, but it feels like it can get out of focus quite easily.

There is a very slight blur, but not enough to ruin the experience. I have no idea how blurry it is for you though.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a few days with the Index to realize that I had to tighten the headset itself to remove a lot of the blurriness. Try to fiddle with the dial on the back of the head.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

Make sure the headset is snug on your face and move the headset around until things look clear than pull all the straps or tuirn all the knobs so it's tight and won't slip (but also comfy).

VR can be blurry when angles are slightly off or it's not sitting perfectly (and the lens distance and pupil distance slider are off).

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Do not wear glasses in your headset, you will scratch the lenses eventually. The amount of posts I have seen since the Index launch on scratches lenses is insane. Either wear contacts or get prescription lens add ins.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I wear glasses and it's fine. I did put lens protectors in, watch face anti-scratch thingies and they work great. Make light bloom a bit in the dark (white on black) but it's not that noticeable and you get used to it and it lets you see in VR without worrying about scratches or having to get expensive lens inserts or switching to contacts.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I wear glasses and it's fine. I did put lens protectors in, watch face anti-scratch thingies and they work great. Make light bloom a bit in the dark (white on black) but it's not that noticeable and you get used to it and it lets you see in VR without worrying about scratches or having to get expensive lens inserts or switching to contacts.
Lens protectors would also be an option, point is don't use without something with glasses. On Reddit there was about a post every day for the first 3 months of the Index release of someone complaining about their lenses getting scratched. The index lenses are plastic and glasses are glass, index is going to lose every time and most people don't realize they are rubbing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back to it and finish the game at some point... I kinda stopped playing for whatever reason once I got to the museum.

Roughly how long do I have left to do?

Only a couple of hours more...and BOY does this game have a great final two hours.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well I played a bit more today and got to Chapter 9.... The story just took an interesting turn haha...

Btw... Is there no ways to increase the brightness in the game? Some parts are awfully dark on my Quest... If only I could manually turn on the Flashlight whenever I want it would already be better!

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't dived into the remapping options but I was wondering- I'm using an original Rift/touch kit and i keep flubbing with the movement controls because the rotation left-right and step back are on one controller stick but the other one does forward teleport no matter which direction you press. It doesnt seem to do the thing where you can pick your direction post teleport by pointing the telep;ort stick in a different direction, and I keep accidentally moving forward when I try to move back. Is it possible to map it so that both sticks do forward for teleport, left and right for rotation, and back for back step? OR map it so teleport stick lets me pick a direction?