• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I see this comment quite a bit and I'm curious what VR games out there actually throw 15-20 enemies at a time at you. I haven't played every single VR game to date, but I've played my fair share and I've never encountered a ton of enemies before. I figured that's because they have to account for you actually aiming, emptying a clip, reloading and putting one in the chamber. I guess games could incorporate more enemies, but it would be more of a shooting gallery than anything I'd imagine.

What games would you suggest?

Robo Recall, Space Pirate Trainer, the Serious Sam VR games, Cosmic Trip, In Death, Raw Data, and Arizona Sunshine gets fairly high numbers but maybe not quite 15...?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Index being sold out is basically meaningless. Was it sold out because 100,000 people ordered and they made 50k, or was it sold out because 10,000 ordered and they only made 5k?

I would wager that Alyx is not the first VR game for the vast majority of people who have played it so far or will play it in the next several years. We're coming up on 4 years since the Vive/Rift were released. SM64 came out in 1996 not 2000. VR has already had a dozen or so mini-SM64 moments through various gameplay and movement concepts and all Valve has really done IMO is pick the ones they liked and added AAA polish.

I think Valve is intentionally not embracing a lot of the design choices that have become accepted in VR over the past few years. I don't think they would ever design a game around artificial locomotion, for example. That has the consequence of the game being smaller and slower than what other games have done. I don't see that changing in future games.

www.kitguru.net

Valve sold over 100K Index VR headsets after announcing Half-Life: Alyx - KitGuru

Since Valve is a private company, we rarely find out how much money the company makes, or how much f

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf... The game started crashing all of a sudden... Never got any crashes before tonight and just got two within 20 minutes...

Edit: Apparently, trying to put a bunch of items in a container will often make the game crash which happens to be something I started doing tonight so that might be it...

In other news... Anybody knows if there's a way to skip the Valve logo on boot? Not a super big deal but it gets annoying.

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I FRIKKIN KEEP GETTIN HECKIN SICK WITHIN HALF AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight I tried some ginger chews I bought. Didn't work. Thought they were 'cause at the start i was moving around all wacky kinda on purpose and felt great, then I stopped doing that and went to playing normally and sure enough after about twenty minutes BLARGH!

Tomorrow I'll try some dramamine. I'm not optimistic.

If that doesn't work I'll give in and switch to teleport. I know it doesn't bother me nearly as much, but I don't like it as a "game experience" compared to smooth locomotion.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
number of Valve Index headsets that sold in 2019 has been a bit of a mystery, although analysts reckon

Don't know why people feel the need to represent reports as some kind of gut feeling from someone. The article was a little bit longer than what you quoted and links to where the data came from. Did you take the time to read how Superdata gets their information? Anyway, I won't get into a discussion about how reports are just random numbers, instead of a informed opinions based on actual data. You seemed to be confused about if the Index was closer to 10K or 100K, I shared the information that shows it is closer to one side than the other. You are welcome if you cared to read it and found any value or just forget I answered if you didn't find any value and it is just as random as a gut feeling from anyone.

"Through proprietary data partnerships we collect point-of-sale and event data from publishers, developers, and payment service providers. This allows us to base our analyses on the monthly spending of over 160 million unique, paying digital gamers, worldwide. We also receive data and insights from major players in the XR space, bolstering our accuracy and coverage."

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's not necessary 15-20 all at once, it 's that you typically have a encounter of about 3-5 combine soldiers and then you don't see them again for a while. I mean, Half-Life is an action game first and foremost. I want extended chapters where my primary enemies are combine soldiers and my interactions with them are frequent. You got this in HL1 in Surface Tension with the HECU, and various chapters in HL2 against the combine civil protection/soldiers. I would be okay with alien enemies as well, but slow moving zombies, headcrabs, antlions, and barnacles don't even remotely offer a challenge in this game. That means, the only somewhat challenging enemy are the combine, and the encounters are so few.

The foundation they have built is extremely solid, I just feel they need to take the training wheels off and let Half-Life be Half-Life. I don't need or want my hand being held just because I'm in the VR space.

I would think the issue is balancing. In Alyx, I'd deal with 3-4 combine and then another wave would come, later in the game anyway. Then again, I died quite a bit in certain areas, so it seemed fine to me.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Robo Recall, Space Pirate Trainer, the Serious Sam VR games, Cosmic Trip, In Death, Raw Data, and Arizona Sunshine gets fairly high numbers but maybe not quite 15...?

Robo Recall was basically a shooting gallery for me. I did not know Serious Sam had VR games. I'm gonna have to look into this now.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Um... I just opened my Oculus app on my PC and both ALYX and Arkham VR are currently sat in my Library section... is this normal?

pH53s3T.jpg

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf... The game started crashing all of a sudden... Never got any crashes before tonight and just got two within 20 minutes...

Edit: Apparently, trying to put a bunch of items in a container will often make the game crash which happens to be something I started doing tonight so that might be it...
Yeah, I've heard about this happening more frequently now. Funny enough, I had a crash earlier due to this, but it was a box full of stuff they intentionally placed and not one I had been lugging around.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think Oculus automatically add SteamVR games (unless you don't actually own those games...then in that case, yeah that's weird haha)

Ah okay, thank god for that... I own both and played both today but this is the first time I've seen this and was worried my PC was doing something stupid with the libraries.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Robo Recall was basically a shooting gallery for me. I did not know Serious Sam had VR games. I'm gonna have to look into this now.

The levels are pretty small, but it's fucking hard as hell to 100%. Also enemies swarm from all around. It's not story driven nor is it a traditional FPS, but I wouldn't say it's a shooting gallery at all.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The levels are pretty small, but it's fucking hard as hell to 100%. Also enemies swarm from all around. It's not story driven nor is it a traditional FPS, but I wouldn't say it's a shooting gallery at all.

I never felt in "danger." Thought it was kind of bland and boring. Refunded it after I hit 2 hours.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I could never get in to Robo Recall either.

hey guys, question

Whar are the two small orange lights right on top of the health indicator on the left hand?

They blink and beep sometimez but I don't know why?
I've wondered this as well, but haven't figured out if it actually means something.
I asked this a week ago and made a joke that I'd end up finishing the game before ever finding out and... well... I'm still unclear days after finishing it!
Glad I'm not the only one lol. Thinking back on it, all I can think of is that it might be an extra indicator to tell you if you have items in your wrist slots or not? Maybe? Feels be a bit redundant if true though.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is Valve so terrible at communicating the most basic stuff. They said the level editor would be available at launch, so, what's the deal? If they needed more time, cool, but can't they get the intern to give a news update on that with a rough estimate on when it would be ready?

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Tonight I tried some ginger chews I bought. Didn't work. Thought they were 'cause at the start i was moving around all wacky kinda on purpose and felt great, then I stopped doing that and went to playing normally and sure enough after about twenty minutes BLARGH!

If that doesn't work I'll give in and switch to teleport. I know it doesn't bother me nearly as much, but I don't like it as a "game experience" compared to smooth locomotion.

That's unfortunate but if you can't handle it I definitely recommend switching instead of trying to suffer through. I enjoyed it with smooth locomotion but used the teleport function pretty often to move faster or take cover quickly.

Just beat it a bit ago and i'd have to say it's my GOTY. Nothing else like it out there.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This game shines in the combat - even on normal. I think I'm juuuust about to wrap up Chapter 5, and just had a nice shootout with the combine.

Ducking behind cars. "Sliding" across to hide behind a fountain. Being able to really peak/lean, get the shot. Gravity Gloving a grenade toward you, setting it, and tossing it all while still firing with your primary. Shit is sick as fuck. Period. One of the coolest feelings in games, like, ever.

But everything in between - other than the phenomenal atmosphere itself - is merely "good" so far. I mean, it's a linear shooter with an over-reliance on repetitive puzzles. The story in 4-5 hours hasn't really grabbed me - "They got my dad, I gotta save them with the help of some mysterious friends" is about all its given me so far.

Don't get me wrong - I'm having a blast. But I'm really hoping the second half picks up the pacing in regards to story and action.

I will say, this game + Animal Crossing New Horizons might be my most favorite combo of complimentary games that released at the same time in like... ever.

EDIT: Also, I really like how this game looks. Source 2 is a beast, and the art design is just... phenomenal. But even on the Index with a 2080/9900K on high/ultra settings, there's still a relatively tight FOV "scuba effect" and screen door effect/aliasing. After all the superlative reviews, I think I expected a bit more crisp. Don't get me wrong, it's a MASSIVE stup up from my Dev Kit 1 and PSVR, but it's still obviously a screen in front of your face.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Why is Valve so terrible at communicating the most basic stuff. They said the level editor would be available at launch, so, what's the deal? If they needed more time, cool, but can't they get the intern to give a news update on that with a rough estimate on when it would be ready?
Just when they were seemingly trying to be more transparent.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Saints and Sinners now. I usually only deal with 1 zombie at a time. Doesn't Sariento move you around like a crazy ninja? That probably helps with all the enemies. I need to buy it though. People keep bringing it up.

Later in the game you deal with roaming death squads that carry assault rifles and groups of zombies are more numerous. the area with the church will have a lot creep on you suddenly.

Sariento is pretty damn satisfying to play, while it barely has a story the combat makes up for it with it easily the best action game in VR and one of the best action games overall in years. I highly recommend it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed a bottle of Vodka for Russ since he asked, hoping the game would acknowledge it. Next Chapter he thanks me for carrying it around, well it's coming with me until the end I guess?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate but if you can't handle it I definitely recommend switching instead of trying to suffer through. I enjoyed it with smooth locomotion but used the teleport function pretty often to move faster or take cover quickly.

Just beat it a bit ago and i'd have to say it's my GOTY. Nothing else like it out there.
I certainly won't let my stubbornness last TOO long. Definitely intend to switch. I'm not gonna let something as silly as this stop me. :P

It's just kind of a bummer.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I grabbed a bottle of Vodka for Russ since he asked, hoping the game would acknowledge it. Next Chapter he thanks me for carrying it around, well it's coming with me until the end I guess?
I brought mine to the end. Check for an achievement about bringing him vodka. If you don't have it after he mentioned it maybe you do need to bring it to the end.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's the teams focus now that the game's out. There will be more info soon but we're working on it. Sorry I don't have a date beyond that but I'm sure there will be more communication soon. Most of last week was spent on post-launch patching and tech support.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love a way to be able to pass my gun between either hand :/

just got to chapter six and love how much the intensity is picking up, i think my only real complaint is the above.

Is anyone else playing on the quest? It looks awesome with a link cable, but unfortunately i face some weird issues with it: after playing for a few minutes the image freezes on the headset and the screen goes black after sometime, but the monitor shows that the headset and controller are still tracking properly and the audio comes through as well.

Fortunately virtual desktop streaming has been pretty awesome with a wireless experience and almost no lag noticeable but unfortunately there's noticeable compression in the image and dark areas can become pitch black. At least it doesn't freeze up or crash 😅

edit: I figured opus the issue - was using a USB extension cable that was causing the problem. Plugging my USB c cable directly to the pc works without any probl now.

Last edited:

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I switched from an Index to a Wireless Vive for the last few hours of the game. Ignoring the fact that the battery died with literally 2 seconds left in the game, I preferred the experience with the Vive.

The FOV is smaller. Details in the distance are harder to make out. The headset + audio strap + wireless adapter feel much heavier. Still preferred it. Vive has better contrast, god rays seemed less frequent, and for some reason it was much easier to get a consistently in focus image. Plus the obvious lack of tether which is just fantastic.

It's odd that no one has made a wireless adapter for index since wireless is a "solved problem" (gaben, feb 2017)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I switched from an Index to a Wireless Vive for the last few hours of the game. Ignoring the fact that the battery died with literally 2 seconds left in the game, I preferred the experience with the Vive.

The FOV is smaller. Details in the distance are harder to make out. The headset + audio strap + wireless adapter feel much heavier. Still preferred it. Vive has better contrast, god rays seemed less frequent, and for some reason it was much easier to get a consistently in focus image. Plus the obvious lack of tether which is just fantastic.

It's odd that no one has made a wireless adapter for index since wireless is a "solved problem" (gaben, feb 2017)

I pretty much refuse to upgrade from my HTC Vive with a deluxe audio strap and TPCast until a new headset with wireless capabilities comes out. Wireless VR is an absolute must for me. Ever since the DK1, I did pretty much everything in my power to get cables out of my way. I would even run cables down boom mic stands:

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

I even had a retractable cable installed in my ceiling at one point. I refuse to go back to tethered VR. That lack of wire makes an enormous difference IMO. It's so easy to get completely lost in the world when you have nothing holding you back. I completely lose myself in the world. I'll pull off my headset and have absolutely no idea what orientation or where I am in my room because the chaperone is just a big rectangle. It's so awesome. A few times I've gone out of VR and found myself facing the corner of two walls without really realizing it, haha.

I have a wireless kit for my Oculus Rift CV1 as well, and I could technically use the index controller with the rift by using one of my steam controller dongles, but the deluxe audio strap of the vive is more comfortable than the rift, IMO. I also have vive n chill coolers installed on my headsets, so I can turn a fan on to cool myself down during long play sessions. With the Vive, they plug right into the headset so I only need 1 battery for the TPCast at my belt. But with the rift, it doesn't have a USB slot in the headset, so I run a second USB cable tethered to the TPCast cable and need to use two batteries -- one for the TPCast, and one for the fans. I have 3 Anker batteries so it's alright, however.

But despite all that, I choose the Vive over the rift because of the superior tracking of lighthouse. Lighthouse remains undefeated IMO. I never, ever lose tracking. With my rift, I lose tracking in the edges of the room. Like, if I'm in a corner of my room like i described above, I'd lose tracking with my rift, and I have 3 cameras set up.

If Valve releases a wireless module for the index headset, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But as is, I'm fine with the old Vive and a pair of index controllers for now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

My first playthrough was exclusively with shift and snap turning, while I played sitting. Had a great experience. Second playthrough I started with standing and smooth locomotion, my legs got wobbly and I got head rushes. When I sat down it went away. Though, I still have to use snap turning. I've come to learn that turning is what really makes me sick. Going straight, back, and side to side doesn't cause an issue, but if I turn, its over.

I'd suggest playing with snap turning and if you get ill, try it sitting down. Nothing is wrong with being comfortable.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished it. I take my hat off to Valve. What an incredible experience this was and what an ending!!! This is my game of the year and I really doubt I will play anything else that will surpass this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 64804

Banned
Mar 24, 2020
I pretty much refuse to upgrade from my HTC Vive with a deluxe audio strap and TPCast until a new headset with wireless capabilities comes out. Wireless VR is an absolute must for me. Ever since the DK1, I did pretty much everything in my power to get cables out of my way. I would even run cables down boom mic stands:

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

I even had a retractable cable installed in my ceiling at one point. I refuse to go back to tethered VR. That lack of wire makes an enormous difference IMO. It's so easy to get completely lost in the world when you have nothing holding you back. I completely lose myself in the world. I'll pull off my headset and have absolutely no idea what orientation or where I am in my room because the chaperone is just a big rectangle. It's so awesome. A few times I've gone out of VR and found myself facing the corner of two walls without really realizing it, haha.

I have a wireless kit for my Oculus Rift CV1 as well, and I could technically use the index controller with the rift by using one of my steam controller dongles, but the deluxe audio strap of the vive is more comfortable than the rift, IMO. I also have vive n chill coolers installed on my headsets, so I can turn a fan on to cool myself down during long play sessions. With the Vive, they plug right into the headset so I only need 1 battery for the TPCast at my belt. But with the rift, it doesn't have a USB slot in the headset, so I run a second USB cable tethered to the TPCast cable and need to use two batteries -- one for the TPCast, and one for the fans. I have 3 Anker batteries so it's alright, however.

But despite all that, I choose the Vive over the rift because of the superior tracking of lighthouse. Lighthouse remains undefeated IMO. I never, ever lose tracking. With my rift, I lose tracking in the edges of the room. Like, if I'm in a corner of my room like i described above, I'd lose tracking with my rift, and I have 3 cameras set up.

If Valve releases a wireless module for the index headset, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But as is, I'm fine with the old Vive and a pair of index controllers for now.
This game shines in the combat - even on normal. I think I'm juuuust about to wrap up Chapter 5, and just had a nice shootout with the combine.

Ducking behind cars. "Sliding" across to hide behind a fountain. Being able to really peak/lean, get the shot. Gravity Gloving a grenade toward you, setting it, and tossing it all while still firing with your primary. Shit is sick as fuck. Period. One of the coolest feelings in games, like, ever.

But everything in between - other than the phenomenal atmosphere itself - is merely "good" so far. I mean, it's a linear shooter with an over-reliance on repetitive puzzles. The story in 4-5 hours hasn't really grabbed me - "They got my dad, I gotta save them with the help of some mysterious friends" is about all its given me so far.

Don't get me wrong - I'm having a blast. But I'm really hoping the second half picks up the pacing in regards to story and action.

I will say, this game + Animal Crossing New Horizons might be my most favorite combo of complimentary games that released at the same time in like... ever.

EDIT: Also, I really like how this game looks. Source 2 is a beast, and the art design is just... phenomenal. But even on the Index with a 2080/9900K on high/ultra settings, there's still a relatively tight FOV "scuba effect" and screen door effect/aliasing. After all the superlative reviews, I think I expected a bit more crisp. Don't get me wrong, it's a MASSIVE stup up from my Dev Kit 1 and PSVR, but it's still obviously a screen in front of your face.

You know I've seen a couple saying playing on the index actually made them more aware of the flaws. Which is super weird - I'm on a rift S and a majority of the time it looks straight up photorealistic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a bunch of teleportation options in alyx, and it does things to make it go a long way towards making you feel like you're physically moving in the game. Shift teleport is pretty cool because it's kind of like fast forwarding while walking in a straight line. You still see the motion, it's just quick. And the game will simulate the audio of you moving, so you still hear the foot steps and you bumping objects and your clothes moving. But it's still teleportation. Even with full fade teleportation they do the audio cues.

Give it a try, there is a high level of polish to their teleportation mechanics.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough was exclusively with shift and snap turning, while I played sitting. Had a great experience. Second playthrough I started with standing and smooth locomotion, my legs got wobbly and I got head rushes. When I sat down it went away. Though, I still have to use snap turning. I've come to learn that turning is what really makes me sick. Going straight, back, and side to side doesn't cause an issue, but if I turn, its over.

I'd suggest playing with snap turning and if you get ill, try it sitting down. Nothing is wrong with being comfortable.
I use snap turning but I haven't tried just sitting down. Seems so obvious now that you say it lol

There's a bunch of teleportation options in alyx, and it does things to make it go a long way towards making you feel like you're physically moving in the game. Shift teleport is pretty cool because it's kind of like fast forwarding while walking in a straight line. You still see the motion, it's just quick. And the game will simulate the audio of you moving, so you still hear the foot steps and you bumping objects and your clothes moving. But it's still teleportation. Even with full fade teleportation they do the audio cues.

Give it a try, there is a high level of polish to their teleportation mechanics.
Neat!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know I've seen a couple saying playing on the index actually made them more aware of the flaws. Which is super weird - I'm on a rift S and a majority of the time it looks straight up photorealistic.

It could be a case of this, essentially:

1LLpZbg.png

NcPEkjH.png

Because I agree, Alyx looks photorealistic in lots of spots to me.

EDIT: I will say though that I think it's a legitimately great thing for VR that there are so many options and configurations available at widely different price points, and they all play the exact same games. That is such an incredibly great thing. Everybody can find a headset with features they are personally happy with.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game had an option to change gun angle like pistol whip. I find it difficult to initially line up my shot because it doesn't feel like the correct angle with the oculus controllers.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving it so far. Just reached my first combine encounter.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

What is that you're standing in? Did you make it yourself or is that something people can buy?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this game had an option to change gun angle like pistol whip. I find it difficult to initially line up my shot because it doesn't feel like the correct angle with the oculus controllers.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving it so far. Just reached my first combine encounter.

Most people will tell you to go for the laser scope upgrade, but I find that takes a lot of the fun out of gunplay. I'd say go for the reflex sight instead, it'll let you instantly know which orientation your shot is in.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The weirdest thing happened. I played through the entirety of this game on my previous machine and the quality, through the Oculus Link, looked amazing for what it was (i7-6700, GTX 980ti). But now I have a new PC, an i9-9900KF, 2070 Super, and Alyx (as well as Walking Dead) can run with much higher graphical and performance fidelity, but the compression is markedly WORSE. It's actually quite amazing to see.

First thing I did when I got set up on this new machine was jump into Alyx and fire up a chapter at night with cool lighting, and parts of the shadows/dark areas looked like goddamn watercolour. I thought it might have been a recent patch upsetting things, but then when I played Saints & Sinners earlier today, the opening suffered the same thing.

Really, really frustrating... I can now play these games with even more incredible graphics and performance and yet, at times, the darkness can look like goddamn liquid!

Had you previously adjusted the resolution in the oculus debug tool and not changed the settings on the new PC?

forums.oculusvr.com

Oculus Link Resolution with v12

With the release of v12 for the Oculus PC runtime, we now allow overriding the default Oculus Link Resolution using the Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) which is located under the .\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ folder of the Oculus PC runtime install path (e.g. c:\program Files\Oculus). Keep in mind, this...

Tweaking those settings may help.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

I love my Index but coming from an OG Vive with TPCast I feel the same about wireless. You can get used to the wire but you really don't realize how much it's subtly taking you out of the experience until you play without it. In hindsight I think I might have preferred an upgrade to Vive Pro with the wireless kit and Index controllers rather than the Index headset. Really hope they have a solution in the works. I'm in sync with you in that I'm not upgrading to a new headset until it has a wireless solution (though eye tracking enabling foveated rendering would still probably get me to bite).

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Is the wireless for the vive pretty intense on the CPU? I am sure I remember people saying it takes quite a toll on it.
it does have an effect on the CPU, how much exactly, I'm not sure, but it does the encoding of the video stream sent to the HMD on the CPU iirc.
Anyway, i7-6700k here and didn't really notice any problems here with Alyx and the Vive Wireless (defaulted to low fidelity for me though).

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
My Index Kit arrived yesterday afternoon; pretty much my first experience with VR apart of two short demonstrations (PSVR, Cardboard). So yeah, my mind was pretty much blown throughout the night.

The way I felt my fear of heights ingame, the way Russel winced at me when I tried to virtually touch his face, how intimadating a strider feels in VR (I felt really tiny and hoped it would not notice me), the way I anxiously open a container slightly and first point my gun inside. I could go on and on.
This feeling of having experienced something compeltely different and new, not knowing what to expect, is so rare. The first time I saw a NES running Mario Bros in '89, Doom in '94, controlling Mario 64 for the first time, and now this?? What a treat.

Two questions for now:

I play a standing experience because my play area is a tiny bit too small for room scaling (currently considering putting a saw into my desk to create space; I have an L-shaped desk and if I go rectangular I can go room scale). I really have to control myself to not step towards things and bump into stuff in my room lol. Can somebody explain to me what the easiest way is to force a recentering of the blue circle around me?

Is there some way I can see my real world environment through the headset so I don't have to take it of to see if I'm still in the centre of my play area? I'm not sure if the front facing camera's are even able to do that, but it would really improve my experience. It would also help to not forget to drink fluids occasionally lol.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Is there some way I can see my real world environment through the headset so I don't have to take it of to see if I'm still in the centre of my play area? I'm not sure if the front facing camera's are even able to do that, but it would really improve my experience. It would also help to not forget to drink fluids occasionally lol.

There are a number of settings for passthrough options on index, some of the options seems really cool such as a picture in picture mode on the controller. This blog post seems pretty comprehensive about the options but I don't have an index so can't say it's 100% accurate.

skarredghost.com

How to test the different passthrough modes on the Valve Index

How to activate passthrough mode on the Valve Index and experiment with all its different options, that let you mix the real and virtual reality