• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I'm on my second playthrough already, since this game is so damn good. But there's a moment at the start of the game that gave me pause. I'll spoiler tag the rest, but I really want to hear the thoughts of other folks regarding how this game affects Half-Life as a whole.
The game opens with the same spiel as it ends: "Subject: Alyx Vance, yada yada", etc. It's all clearly G-Man's work. But the fact that it appears at the onset of the game, and has been updated by the end indicates something to me: this entire game was G-Man's gambit. And not just G-Man as he was in Half-Life: Alyx, because this incarnation is clearly aware of the events of Episode 2. Potentially, he has some degree of foresight, or might even experience time in a non-linear fashion. Either way, the whole of Half-Life: Alyx is G-Man "scouting" Alyx to determine if this specific incarnation of her is going to be good enough to replace Gordon, given that in five years' time, Gordon will be plucked from G-Man's grasp by the Vortigaunts.

So, why does this game take place five years before Episode 2? Why didn't G-Man offer Alyx the chance to get Eli back then instead of before? Why doesn't she remember this opportunity to change the future in Half-Life 2 and onward? Simply put: the events of Half-Life 2's episodes, and possibly Half-Life 2 itself were a gambit to put the Combine in a position where they'd be weakened, Gordon would serve his purpose, and most importantly: Eli Vance would die. Because with the Combine weak and Gordon no longer subservient, the G-Man would need a new agent to do his bidding. Who better than the woman who, against all odds, fought alongside Gordon almost every step of the way, to the top of the Citadel and back?

Alyx in HLA is emotionally distraught. She's constantly terrified for her father, and his multiple brushes with death leave her terrified of the idea of losing him for good. This makes this younger, more brash incarnation of Alyx more susceptible to the manipulations of the G-Man than an older, wiser Alyx (with the guidance of Gordon and the warnings of her father of the G-Man).

In other words, G-Man picked this point in Alyx's life to "scout" her as "talent", as this is where she's at her most emotionally vulnerable. When offered the opportunity to reverse her father's inevitable death (which it's implied Eli knew was coming in Episode 2), she takes it without considering the consequences of such brash actions. A mysterious man who the Combine locked up in a vault offers her the chance of a lifetime, and doesn't detail what he expects in return.

No wonder Eli is losing his mind over Alyx's sudden disappeared by G-Man's hands at the end of the game. He knows his death was coming, and when his would-be murderer was instead a charred grub on the floor, it became immediately clear to him just how long G-Man has been playing his family like a fiddle.
Finished the game tonight and remembered that I was intrigued to read this post once I would no longer be spoiled. Glad I went back and found it. Good stuff.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
And I really wouldn't consider the button cheating, it's really only for chambering. You still have to manually put mags or shells in from your backpack.

Also, a real pistol has a button for dropping the mag and a button for (I don't know the term) for re-sliding the...slide?

So using the buttons for this is accurate.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just finished. Best game I have played in a long, long time.
Ending was amazing, I seriously need a drink or I will never sleep tonight.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Their mostly all novelty attractions, but not really engaging experiences. But thanks for the tips. I'll try them.

If you are looking for long form narrative shooter like Alyx you're not going to find it outside of Stormlands. I'll send my recommendations list to you in a PM. It's long filled with gifs and don't want to clutter this page.
There's still a bunch of cool things out there like Blade and Sorcery and Compound. Other wise you could also use mods to play other games like HL1 in VR or Doom 3 or something. Alien Isolation in VR if you want to shit your pants.

Last edited:

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Yep....my 2nd playthrough is on hold until they release fixes, I cannot play 1.2 longer than around 30mins before crashing (ie hlvr.exe has stopped responding).
I have seen some people suggesting updating steamvr to the beta branch which I haven't tried yet

I was getting crashes almost immediately when starting the game this morning after the patch. I moved my headset USB cable from a 3.1 slot to a 3.0 slot. Haven't had a crash since, and it also fixed an issue I had where the sound would blow out and become staticy every time I died/respawned.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game tonight and remembered that I was intrigued to read this post once I would no longer be spoiled. Glad I went back and found it. Good stuff.
I gotta tell ya, that folks would sift through half a week's discussion to read that post is quite flattering. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you!
Also, a real pistol has a button for dropping the mag and a button for (I don't know the term) for re-sliding the...slide?

So using the buttons for this is accurate.
I believe they're called "slide stops", though I learned to call it a slide release when cleaning handguns with my dad. I like the touch with the slide stop being the upper button on your dominant hand while the mag release is on the lower button, just as it is on more modern handguns.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if there's going to be an official OST release? The music in Alyx is just too damn good. Especially all the combat tunes.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if there's going to be an official OST release? The music in Alyx is just too damn good. Especially all the combat tunes.
If there is, I'm buying it ASAP. The music in Alyx gets me so pumped up and ready for action.

Yes there is. Mike has said it will be on all major streaming platforms and Steam Music once ready.
Mike has released one track to BBC 3, which played on their video games music show - but the title Is a spoiler of sorts. I suppose the music is too for some people

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
One piece of advice for people jumping into this on your first playthrough: If you're able to, I HIGHLY recommend playing standing and without any height modification buttons (as in no crouch button, etc.). You have to squat or get on the floor for some things, but it's honestly a lot more fun that way I've noticed. Especially in Chapter 7.

Am I the only one that's not a fan of some of these gun mods like the laser sight for the shotgun is kind of annoyingly large and intrusive.

I got use to the sight on the pistol but I wish we could remove the mods if we want. They seem designed to hand hold players new to vr who can't aim well.
I think a lot of things are pointed at people not quite used to VR, but Valve has done some of these things in unique ways to set the trend for the industry here. The Gravity Gloves are one of the biggest ones that I think is going to set a lot of trends for VR games going forward. On my second playthrough I'm not getting any laser sights. I even regret getting the Reflex Sight on the pistol, but that's fine. Learning to get a feel of where your gun is pointing is fun.

I agree and wish you could turn off modules as you please though. Once I got used to aiming I would have liked to go without the Reflex Sight on my pistol.

Honestly the laser sight for the shotgun is overkill IMO, as it's a shotgun. You point at the dudes in your face and shoot. The one place the laser sight really comes in handy on the shotgun is when using the grenade launcher.

This playthrough I've grabbed the following upgrades:

Pistol
Reflex Sight
Bullet Reservoir
Burst Fire

Shotgun
Autoloader
Grenade Launcher
(will probably get the double shot)

SMG
Extended Magazine

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm getting so much enjoyement watching my kids play through this.
Even my non gaming wife likes it.
It's going to be important for people to realize that HL:A literally represents the absolute best VR can offer right now across any platform or space. Like, if you got a VR *just* for Alyx, that's awesome, but now you need to make a controlled descent through a library that has a bunch of fucking awesome games, but nothing that will give you that same quality of experience you just got with HL:A. I'm sure people could make a list, but I'd consider:

1) Boneworks
2) The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
3) The Room VR
4) SuperHot VR
5) Beat Saber

In almost exactly that order, too. Each one of these games, especially Boneworks, will show you how VR has been one big experiment to reach HL:A, and how HL:A will almost certainly be the start of a new ladder of quality and refinement moving forward. I think it's an *incredible* time to be joining VR now, but people do need to realize that the current backlog of experiences is going to be all over the place in terms of quality, and how they solve various problems in VR.
Please also don't skip over Synth Riders which is easily as good as (i even prefer it to) Beat Saber

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the OST is top notch. One of the years best so far for sure

It's good but i think the combat music writes checks that the encounters can't cash.

HL2-esque music kicks in, 2-3 enemies show up, I kill them in 45 seconds, music winds down.

I get why encounters aren't larger, but it always feels like the music is setting up something more epic than what actually happens

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a program that allows you to do it in VR but I literally forgot what it was called, it was basically a unity launcher that you start through the desktop interface in steamvrhome, if I remember it I'll let you know, but it would allow you to change everything regarding positioning without the need to run the setup again....
Please do, I tried searching around and didn't find anything.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty significant bug I have been able to replicate in both playthroughs. I can't remember who it was, but I know someone from Valve was posting in this thread and might want to know about this.

When you get to the part where you have to find the 3 Combine batteries, if you throw a bottle as far as you can past the Combine barrier, Jeff will go back there, and if you threw it far enough, he won't move anymore. You can throw bottles, even shoot him and the most he will do is turn around and just stand there.

When you get all the batteries and try to activate the control panel, he will still burst through the door as he should.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty significant bug I have been able to replicate in both playthroughs. I can't remember who it was, but I know someone from Valve was posting in this thread and might want to know about this.

When you get to the part where you have to find the 3 Combine batteries, if you throw a bottle as far as you can past the Combine barrier, Jeff will go back there, and if you threw it far enough, he won't move anymore. You can throw bottles, even shoot him and the most he will do is turn around and just stand there.

When you get all the batteries and try to activate the control panel, he will still burst through the door as he should.
Portraiture_-_Jake_Rodkin.png

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was getting crashes almost immediately when starting the game this morning after the patch. I moved my headset USB cable from a 3.1 slot to a 3.0 slot. Haven't had a crash since, and it also fixed an issue I had where the sound would blow out and become staticy every time I died/respawned.

I'm using an original Vive, so my audio is fed via the breakout box which plugs into a single USB 3.0 port....so this isn't the solution for me. I'll just wait for version 1.3 to see if that fixes it...

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
I just finished Chapter 7....this is the best fucking game I've had the pleasure of playing in a long time...good lord.....I don't remember the last time a game has been in my thoughts so much.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys feel a HL3 could work as both a pancake and VR experience? While I really loved and enjoyed HL: Alyx, I do feel like it compromised more than I'm comfortable with as far as the gameplay is concerned.

Maybe it was the limited of scope of the project, but I feel like HL2 was quite a bit more ambitious in terms of level design and gameplay. Looking at the early areas of HL2 in the sewers/canals section, you already get quite a bit of action in the game. There's a pretty big onslaught of enemies for a good while before you reach the air boat.

In HL: Alyx, you generally face about 3 combine and that's basically it before you continue on to the next section of the level where it's back to just zombies, headcrabs, and barnacles. I'm not exactly asking for endless waves of combine, but there should definitely be extended sections where you fight combine soldiers from area to area, room to room. I feel like the action the series is known for is all but gone. You see a little bit of it in the last few chapters, but that's it.

There's also the missing variety of environments and gameplay variations you get from using the air boat and muscle car. How cool would it have been to drive one of these in VR? Or at least sit in an AI driven vehicle on a mounted gun and defend against combine soldiers, striders, and a combine helicopter or something.

And even smaller little touches like the scripted events where the combine drop flaming barrels at you in the sewers or where you have to set up the turrets to defend against the combine counter attack in Nova Prospekt.

HL2 took us from the sewers, to the canals, to the coastline, a prison complex, to the city, a combine palace, and then to the citadel. We fought combine helicopters, spaceships, striders, and elite combine military soldiers. And we used a wide variety of weapons too.

I could go on, but you get the idea. I feel like scope of the game was far more limited than I was expecting. If the next game is be in VR, they would need to be far more ambitious with the game or just keep it pancake style. If they could successfully make it great with a 2D mode and a VR mode, that would be ideal. I just don't want to have to compromise so much in the next HL game to make it work in VR, despite all the amazing benefits VR brings.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had my third session last night and I switched from teleportation to continuous movement. This is the first time I've been able to use continuous movement, I played the game for like two hours without any issues. I'm really loving the game so far, just got to the first part with Combine soldiers.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following the thread too closely to avoid any possible spoilers so this might have been posted already, but I came across this way to adjust the continuous movement speed. It lets you adjust the regular walking speed and combat speed independently too. Personally, I think the explore speed is fine, but think the combat speed is way too slow if you don't want to resort to teleport.

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Increase movement speed

Simple guide to increase Alyx's movement speed by modifying the game's launch options...

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Do you guys feel a HL3 could work as both a pancake and VR experience? While I really loved and enjoyed HL: Alyx, I do feel like it compromised more than I'm comfortable with as far as the gameplay is concerned.

Maybe it was the limited of scope of the project, but I feel like HL2 was quite a bit more ambitious in terms of level design and gameplay. Looking at the early areas of HL2 in the sewers/canals section, you already get quite a bit of action in the game. There's a pretty big onslaught of enemies for a good while before you reach the air boat.

In HL: Alyx, you generally face about 3 combine and that's basically it before you continue on to the next section of the level where it's back to just zombies, headcrabs, and barnacles. I'm not exactly asking for endless waves of combine, but there should definitely be extended sections where you fight combine soldiers from area to area, room to room. I feel like the action the series is known for is all but gone. You see a little bit of it in the last few chapters, but that's it.

There's also the missing variety of environments and gameplay variations you get from using the air boat and muscle car. How cool would it have been to drive one of these in VR? Or at least sit in an AI driven vehicle on a mounted gun and defend against combine soldiers, striders, and a combine helicopter or something.

And even smaller little touches like the scripted events where the combine drop flaming barrels at you in the sewers or where you have to set up the turrets to defend against the combine counter attack in Nova Prospekt.

HL2 took us from the sewers, to the canals, to the coastline, a prison complex, to the city, a combine palace, and then to the citadel. We fought combine helicopters, spaceships, striders, and elite combine military soldiers. And we used a wide variety of weapons too.

I could go on, but you get the idea. I feel like scope of the game was far more limited than I was expecting. If the next game is be in VR, they would need to be far more ambitious with the game or just keep it pancake style. If they could successfully make it great with a 2D mode and a VR mode, that would be ideal. I just don't want to have to compromise so much in the next HL game to make it work in VR, despite all the amazing benefits VR brings.

None of that is a VR issue though. You can play plenty of other VR shooters where you are fighting 20-30 guys at once. As for scripted events there is nothing about VR that limited that. I can see them not wanting to do any vehicle sections for new comers to VR though. But the rest there just isn't a reason other then this is the tone they were going for with this game.

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
None of that is a VR issue though. You can play plenty of other VR shooters where you are fighting 20-30 guys at once.

I was going to post something similar. None of the concerns sleepnaught listed are due to VR, except perhaps a vehicle section which maybe too intense (I don't know, I haven't really tried any vehicle VR games).

Everything else Valve did were just design decisions / project scope limitations.

A game should almost (get out of jail card) never be designed for VR and 2D gameplay.

And personally I'll be disappointed if we go back to 2D Half-Life. But I'll still play it!

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully by the time whatever they're working on next comes out the Index will be available in Australia.
TBF, by that time they might have BCI ready too :)

I enjoyed it just fine, but I've seen some pretty mixed reactions. Depending on how Valve moves forward with it, will make or break the ending here.

Purely anecdotally from what I've seen (in the spoiler OT and elsewhere) is that people who played it don't really have mixed reactions, the mixed reactions come mostly from people who've watched playthroughs, or even just watched the ending.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it yesterday afternoon and I'm still thinking about that ending, absolutely blown away.

I know it might be a bit too soon but my hopes for a sequel are they improve the combine combat encounters by making the AI smarter, less bullet spongy and more of them. I'd also like to see more weapon variety like in the previous Half Life games and some two handed weapons as well, they work great in VR and it was dissappointing not to see them in this game.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Finished it yesterday afternoon and I'm still thinking about that ending, absolutely blown away.

I know it might be a bit too soon but my hopes for a sequel are they improve the combine combat encounters by making the AI smarter, less bullet spongy and more of them. I'd also like to see more weapon variety like in the previous Half Life games and some two handed weapons as well, they work great in VR and it was dissappointing not to see them in this game.

You get it. Just more of them and less bullet spongy. Also agree with the weapons. Also improvements have been made in the melee VR space since Alyx went into development, so hope to see more of that kind of stuff implemented into what ever Half-Life game is next.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
How old are your kids? My Niece is 12 and it's so much fun watching her play Beat Saber because she's been in dance class since she was 5 and goes all into it when she plays.
My eldest is 16, 14 and 9.
At the moment Synth Riders is our game of choice. That game is awesome and a pretty good workout in it's own right.
When you play through on harder difficulties and can pull off a 100% play through, the feeling is straight up euphoric.
Watching them play through Alex and using the motion movement controls (as they don't have VR legs yet) was most amusing.
However they are too scared to play through the more darker areas (for obvious reasons) :D
They found seated play slightly leaning against something felt fine.
Oddly enough they didn't get this feeling when playing on the Rift S, only the Vive cosmos made they jelly legged.

Dizfy

Oct 17, 2019
Finished my gnome run yesterday, now have 100% achievements in the game.
Still can't stop thinking about it, such a great title and very excited for the future of the franchise!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I was really disappointed about was
that the ant lion tunnel you go into to get to the zoo wasn't actually an ant lion tunnel. The idea of exploring something like what was in Episode 2 with that torch and in VR... ugh would've been sick.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished with Jeff last night before bed. What a tense experience. I do get the GPU memory warning whenever I start up but the game runs beautifully anyway. I'm pretty sure it's just reacting to Firefox claiming to own all the GPU memory on the entire planet. I have a fairly high spec PC (9th gen I7 and a 2070). I just left the GFX settings on auto and the game looks absolutely stunning to the point where I feel no need to fiddle. I'm playing on a Rift S and everything happily works brilliantly.

A watershed moment in VR gaming to be sure. Here's hoping for a new full Gordon Half Life in VR. Can't wait to finish work today so I can play more.

Philxor

Oct 27, 2017
Coventry, UK
I just finished with Jeff last night before bed. What a tense experience. I do get the GPU memory warning whenever I start up but the game runs beautifully anyway. I'm pretty sure it's just reacting to Firefox claiming to own all the GPU memory on the entire planet. I have a fairly high spec PC (9th gen I7 and a 2070). I just left the GFX settings on auto and the game looks absolutely stunning to the point where I feel no need to fiddle. I'm playing on a Rift S and everything happily works brilliantly.

A watershed moment in VR gaming to be sure. Here's hoping for a new full Gordon Half Life in VR. Can't wait to finish work today so I can play more.

Absolutely. Just finished this myself last night and what a chapter...Valve taking so many ideas and weaving them together so well. As someone who can't normally stomach that sort of chapter, it was an incredible ride. Was absolutely broken by the end but it was fantastic from start to finish. Watershed is exactly the term.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pure VR moment -

The Jeff bit, where you need to attach the valve handle to open the grate, while holding the grate open, you can slide open the bottom drawer on the tool chest to keep the grate slightly open, lets you yoink things and have them fall straight out. Alternatively, just get everything on the ramp then open the grate and they will slide out immediately. Options!

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone has found a way to enable photo mode in the game? Maybe like it's in there but have to be activated with console command, code or something like developer or debug mode.

I wish I can capture some moments in the game while in main menu, paused state. Hoping there's a way for it or better available in next update.

Half-Life-Alyx-9-Minutes-of-Gameplay-IGN-First.mp4_snapshot_06.17.028-scaled.jpg

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question about the Gnome achievement -

At the north star hotel, can I leave it outside while I do everything, then once back outside, its still there? Or do I need to carry it throughout?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Question about the Gnome achievement -

At the north star hotel, can I leave it outside while I do everything, then once back outside, its still there? Or do I need to carry it throughout?
I believe the outside of North Star Hotel gets respawned, as in you have at least from what I could tell new items available to pick up, so might be the Gnome is gone, can't say for sure though.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the outside of North Star Hotel gets respawned, as in you have at least from what I could tell new items available to pick up, so might be the Gnome is gone, can't say for sure though.
On my second playthrough, I was pretty thorough and picked up everything out there before going in. After taking the elevator down, there was a ton of stuff I could see and grab just from right in front of the elevator, so yeah, I'd assume the gnome is definitely not safe being left out there.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
I really liked the game. It looked amazing, there was great level-design (except having some hard virtual walls at some places instead natural barriers) and the gameplay was solid.

My main complain is something. which isn't really the games fault, but i really notice the issues with actual VR gaming:
First i need to make a lot of extra space in my apparent to play the game. Since my daughter was born early this year, she already inhabits one part of my office and she will get the rest of it later. So i had to move a lot to play in the living room.
Second besides having a space of 3x3m, i still was fighting the VR setup. Constantly moving myself, so that i could shoot behind corners or grab something from far away. Then there was reposition my VIVE on my head, when it lost focus and even getting to the limits of the cable.