• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Im entirely convinced people who complain about the game being too easy uses teleportation, I played it with smooth and the fights were really hard haha
Yeah sadly it's default. I think they could have presented the options in 3 big panels that each have a gif showing you the difference with a description. Instead they leave people to figure it out with the few words.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the things Sairento does that makes it possible to play without puking, are the things you are criticizing Half Life Alyx for (i.e. teleportation).

Honestly, this game went from "never heard of it" straight into the "future purchase" box after those amazing gifs.

What puzzles me is: I see obvious continuous motion in those gifs, with a point-toward-destination mechanic, but not "teleport", where I define teleport as a near-instant movement between two points with little or no inbetween (like in Alyx, where there is a slight move forward).

How is this not giving players motion sickness?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Another thing you should think of is sure the Combine stand out in the open a lot, but they won't hesitate to shoot your ass with perfect aim if you fuck up by sticking your head out for just a second. It's not a breeze through the park.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this game went from "never heard of it" straight into the "future purchase" box after those amazing gifs.

What puzzles me is: I see obvious continuous motion in those gifs, with a point-toward-destination mechanic, but not "teleport", where I define teleport as a near-instant movement between two points with little or no inbetween (like in Alyx, where there is a slight move forward).

How is this not giving players motion sickness?

Sairento has options for things like vision tunneling, which progressively dims the periphery of your vision and temporarily projects the world onto a flat surface when moving which are well understood VR comfort settings.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im entirely convinced people who complain about the game being too easy used teleportation, I played it with smooth and the fights were really hard haha
I use smooth, but use teleportation when moving between cover. I wouldn't use teleportation at all, but it's forced on me. Walking from cover to cover is pretty silly

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I had the sound of a thrown can glitch and endless loop where the first crabs are introduced.
Thanks game.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finally found a solution for the height problem I had, had to calibrate my room in a seperate Steam VR app. Now I still have the choppiness when I'm walking (free movement), have no idea how to fix that. Turning the gfx settings down doesn't help, disabled a supersample/motion smoothing setting in Steam VR video settings, didn't help... I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 2070 Super and using a Rift S headset. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I can still play the game fine but the choppy movement is annoying.

In chapter 9 now, just got some exciting info...

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played this yet but from videos I've seen graphically the game looks the same as Half Life 2...why hasn't Valve updated the Source Engine with the latest tech?...I'm not even talking about ray-tracing, graphics have come a long way since Valve released HL2: Episode 2 (tessellation, better ambient occlusion etc)

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
I haven't played this yet but from videos I've seen graphically the game looks the same as Half Life 2...why hasn't Valve updated the Source Engine with the latest tech?...I'm not even talking about ray-tracing, graphics have come a long way since Valve released HL2: Episode 2 (tessellation, better ambient occlusion etc)
Lol

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Half Life Alyx is legitimately the best looking game I've ever played

it looks nothing like HL2 beyond art direction

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hilarious. Every post from you is simply to shit on this game with the most asinine takes. I honestly have no idea why you are posting in this thread. Wouldn't you rather discuss games you enjoy rather than one you obviously hate?

Oct 25, 2017
Im entirely convinced people who complain about the game being too easy used teleportation, I played it with smooth and the fights were really hard haha
Honestly the whole teleport/continuous dichotomy is a pain and a half to balance and I can't blame them for not getting it 100% right with their first big VR game.
I tried to limit my teleport use to basically make it function like the sprint function in other games.
There are sections that can become trivial with teleportation. You can basically use it to kite Antlions forever in open areas without taking any damage for example.
On the other hand there are sections that are a pain to do with continuous only.
Good luck avoiding the Strider's fire without teleport.
I hope they rethink their movement mechanics a bit next time around. Something like a short cooldown for the teleport ability may be a good idea or an option to sprint instead of teleport for continuous players.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He's trolled multiple valve/alyx threads. Don't bother.

just because someone asks a question that goes against your opinion on something is not called trolling...or even if someone has a different opinion on a game it's not trolling...I'm legitimately curious about the graphics...my friend has an Oculus Rift so I'm debating whether or not the $60 is a good investment

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just because someone asks a question that goes against your opinion on something is not called trolling...or even if someone has a different opinion on a game it's not trolling...I'm legitimately curious about the graphics...my friend has an Oculus Rift so I'm debating whether or not the $60 is a good investment
Steam offers refunds for a reason. But, you knew that already.

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
You should probably save your money for the eye surgery you need if you think HLA's graphics haven't improved since HL2.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, no flat game compares to VR in terms of visuals.

you're one of the few people in this thread who actually makes sensible posts about the game...others are letting their fanboyism over VR take over and don't want to say anything negative about the game...it's OK to criticize something even if you happen to like it a lot...I saw the Digital Foundry and Linus Tech Tips video where they stated that the graphics on Low vs Ultra is not that big of a jump...I think Linus mentioned that the graphics aren't that big of a leap from HL2: Episode 2 (or maybe he was referring to the overall artstyle)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way a VR game can do rtx as of right now due to the high FPS (and resolution) requirements for VR. RTX would tank the framerate... which would be a big nono.
VR games have a natural advantage on immersion tho that is hard to notice when you dont play it (hint, maybe you should play it before doing armchair complains as everyone is telling you?) and even without that, HLA artstyle and geometry is very good.

you're one of the few people in this thread who actually makes sensible posts about the game...others are letting their fanboyism over VR take over and don't want to say anything negative about the game...it's OK to criticize something even if you happen to like it a lot...I saw the Digital Foundry and Linus Tech Tips video where they stated that the graphics on Low vs Ultra is not that big of a jump...I think Linus mentioned that the graphics aren't that big of a leap from HL2: Episode 2 (or maybe he was referring to the overall artstyle)
Have you seen the DF video? The guy is pretty positive in both artstyle and amount of stuff and shadows. The only cons he talks about is the difference wrt Boneworks in how physics are used (although noting he understands why Valve went a different way).

As a pointer, in chapter 7 alone, tehre are more "physic elements" than in all of Half Life 2.

Honestly the whole teleport/continuous dichotomy is a pain and a half to balance and I can't blame them for not getting it 100% right with their first big VR game.
I tried to limit my teleport use to basically make it function like the sprint function in other games.
There are sections that can become trivial with teleportation. You can basically use it to kite Antlions forever in open areas without taking any damage for example.
On the other hand there are sections that are a pain to do with continuous only.
Good luck avoiding the Strider's fire without teleport.
I hope they rethink their movement mechanics a bit next time around. Something like a short cooldown for the teleport ability may be a good idea or an option to sprint instead of teleport for continuous players.
You can just wait until the recharge to move. That is how you do it without teleport.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's more because the game looks drop dead gorgeous even on low. For one thing, the game uses photogrammetry in many parts to achieve photo realism. There are many, many parts of the game that are just unbelievably gorgeous. I just can't really post any pictures of them or describe them because they are spoilers, and the only pictures most people can show are of the opening of the game which takes place in a concrete city that naturally doesn't look too mind blowing. But trust me, there is some crazy awesome visuals in this game, way waaaay beyond HL2.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you read the thread at all? There's plenty of criticism going on in the posts right before yours. But saying things like HL Alyx looks exactly the same as HL2 isn't criticism, that's just plain trolling.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 days): antagonizing other uses over a series of posts
Have you read the thread at all? There's plenty of criticism going on in the posts right before yours. But saying things like HL Alyx looks exactly the same as HL2 isn't criticism, that's just plain trolling.

if you actually bother to read my posts instead of automatically getting all hostile you'll see that I stated where exactly I read the info...relax...I know you think VR is the greatest technological innovation ever...I'm looking for opinions from people that can be unbiased...and No I have not read all 3000 posts of this thread

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you actually bother to read my posts instead of automatically getting all hostile you'll see that I stated where exactly I read the info...relax...I know you think VR is the greatest technological innovation ever...I'm looking for opinions from people that can be unbiased
I've watched your trolling over multiple Alyx threads, I already know what to expect.

If you actually read MY posts, you would see the multiple paragraphs worth of criticism I have for this game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
no I criticize Alyx for being too slow and enemies acting like it's 5AM and they just got up.

as well as locomotion being broken in some places, the link I posted clearly slows that you can drop yourself from lethal heights with locomotion where with teleportation you will die from the fall, as intended.
It seems more of a bug on that area than anything (as you can see Alyx clips through some stuff). I have fallen off of areas and died using natural locomotion.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've watched your trolling over multiple Alyx threads, I already know what to expect.

If you actually read MY posts, you would see the multiple paragraphs worth of criticism I have for this game.

I've never trolled this game or any game...if by me saying that Alyx is not going to push VR into the mainstream is considered trolling by your standards then I don't know what to tell you...VR is a niche market...that's a fact...deal with it...but within that niche Alyx seems like the best VR game to date...both things can be true...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you actually bother to read my posts instead of automatically getting all hostile you'll see that I stated where exactly I read the info...relax...I know you think VR is the greatest technological innovation ever...I'm looking for opinions from people that can be unbiased...and No I have not read all 3000 posts of this thread

I mean, I'm glad you think I'm unbiased, I obviously think my opinions are well formed, but uh, I was a beta tester for the Steam Controller and Valve used me to help populate the steam controller configs prior to launch. At one point, they actually fully unlocked steam for me: every single item on steam was added to my account. Plus, I actually do think VR is the most significant technological advancement of... well not my lifetime, but definitely the last decade.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really like the fall damage. It feels weird because of the movement options. If I teleport down a long distance I'm fine but if I accidentally push forward on the stick it's instant death. Feels weird.

Teleport also won't push you over a ledge (makes sense) but again if you use continuous motion and move too close it's instant death again. Feels kind of dissonant sometimes

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I think Linus mentioned that the graphics aren't that big of a leap from HL2: Episode 2 (or maybe he was referring to the overall artstyle)

He said that while noting he was basing the comparison on what he remembered Half-Life 2 to look like. That portion of the video has a comparison, and the difference in fidelity is night and day despite the camera movement and YouTube's signature compression:

hlheadcrabcomparison9hjbk.jpg

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Got to play for about an hour or so on my Rift. Hot damn the game looks GOOD and the atmosphere is great. I'm still very early on, but I'm enjoying pretty much the whole package. I showed it to a friend who at first had a bit of trouble with the whole item pick-up mechanic, but after some 5-10 mins he also got used to it.

Can't wait to get back to it later. I'm alternating this and Animal Crossing. What a combination...

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He said that while noting he was going off memory. That portion of the video has a comparison, and the difference in fidelity is night and day despite the camera movement and YouTube's signature compression:

I'm sure he was referring to the graphics overall...he was just using that screenshot as a point of reference

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm sure he was referring to the graphics overall...he was just using that screenshot as a point of reference

Well, yes, of course. The comparison was inserted in post-production, over his comment, to show that his mind's eye was exaggerating Half-Life 2's graphics. The exact quote is, "Like, I don't have them side-by-side, but, realistically, these graphics do not look that much better than Half-Life 2." So, yes, he did make a sweeping statement, but he was clearly misremembering how dated Half-Life 2 looks nowadays.

But then he used a pic of a HL1 Headcrab instead.
Headcrab.jpg

Haha, good catch. Still a notable jump, though. Just not quite as big. ;)

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Again, he was going by memory. The comparison was inserted in post-production, over his comment, to show that his mind's eye was exaggerating Half-Life 2's graphics. The exact quote is, "Like, I don't have them side-by-side, but, realistically, these graphics do not look that much better than Half-Life 2." So, yes, he did make a sweeping statement, but he was clearly misremembering how dated Half-Life 2 looks nowadays.
I mean, you only need to see the last scene to have a clear showcase of the jump between HL2 and Alyx in graphics...

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
That's more because the game looks drop dead gorgeous even on low. For one thing, the game uses photogrammetry in many parts to achieve photo realism. There are many, many parts of the game that are just unbelievably gorgeous. I just can't really post any pictures of them or describe them because they are spoilers, and the only pictures most people can show are of the opening of the game which takes place in a concrete city that naturally doesn't look too mind blowing. But trust me, there is some crazy awesome visuals in this game, way waaaay beyond HL2.
You're damn right photogrammetry is unrivalled in terms of graphics. The VR immersion plus these environments = next gen experience. Early on in the game I had to grab a zombi with my hands, to help me go through a window. This felt reluctant as hell and no normal game can convey this. No 2D video can give this game justice.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Going to assume I am in the middle-ish of Chapter 5 now, the whole location is just incredible, but oh boy...I am glad I have managed to suppress my arachnophobia a touch.

Also, did anyone else hear the toilet flush at one point during an encounter? For such an intense few moments it made me chuckle.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never trolled this game or any game...if by me saying that Alyx is not going to push VR into the mainstream is considered trolling by your standards then I don't know what to tell you...VR is a niche market...that's a fact...deal with it...but within that niche Alyx seems like the best VR game to date...both things can be true...

If you want a very unbiased opinion, because i just finished both Alyx and Doom Eternal back to back (which I would say it's among best flat game i've ever played graphically):

Alyx model quality and texture solution is out of scale for videogames. I was constantly blown away just how hi-def everything is: you can slam most things in your face and they keep looking sharp and the lighting keeps being mostly credible. No kidding there: it's breathtakingly impressive even without the VR rose-tinged glasses. The game also has plenty of impressive vista and rock solid art direction.

As any game with lots of freely moving objects though, it needs badly to switch toward fully raytraced lighing. You notice it more on Alyx because almost everything can move, and almost everything fills your field of view with its size if you look directly at it or interact with it, the approximation of correct lighing will likely fail to produce a good result (as in any game without RT). So, if we allow a comparison apples to oranges, comparing Alyx to a game where nothing moves and almost everything can be prebaked, like Doom Eternal, then yeah, Alyx lighting model looks noticeably less consistant, and the game lighing feels more old fashioned.

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
It seems more of a bug on that area than anything (as you can see Alyx clips through some stuff). I have fallen off of areas and died using natural locomotion.

I don't remember dying once by walking off ledges from lethal height with continuous movement. Which was funny, using the jump function would show red skull and crossbones and an occasional quip from Alyx that such a jump would kill me and yet I could float down nice and gentle by just walking off.

Finished the game tonight. Was amazing and highly recommend.

A highlight: Too many to pick but I'll choose the whole Jeff chapter.
A lowlight: Not enough tense firefights. It was an amazing feeling coming out on top after a great battle. Just wish there was more of them. I'll replay on hard if / when I play again.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember dying once by walking off ledges from lethal height with continuous movement. Which was funny, using the jump function would show red skull and crossbones and an occasional quip from Alyx that such a jump would kill me and yet I could float down nice and gentle by just walking off.

Finished the game tonight. Was amazing and highlight recommend.

A lowlight: Not enough tense firefights. It was an amazing feeling coming out on top after a great battle. Just wish there was more of them. I'll likely replay on hard if / when I play again.
I have died several times due to it, mainly on some stairs lol

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm still really early (only in chapter 3 with all of the exploding barrels everywhere) but I'm liking this game a lot more now that I managed to get into a decent groove. I'm still maybe not as blown away as some people have been (though maybe it will come later), but I'm having fun which, after having trouble finding the right settings that didn't make me super sick, is an achievement in itself

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Just got to the point where you get some grenades and the throw sensitivity serioiusly needs to be increased. If you try a gentle throw because you've got limited space and are worried about hitting something then it barely goes anywhere.
Also pretty shit that you can carry only one thing per wrist pouch, rather than being able to store multiple grenades in one and multiple syringes in the other.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

Finished the game tonight. Was amazing and highly recommend.

A lowlight: Not enough tense firefights. It was an amazing feeling coming out on top after a great battle. Just wish there was more of them. I'll replay on hard if / when I play again.
Yup, fall damage is definitely bugged to a point where there is none when you're just walking, but it's there when you try to teleport, I don't know how they managed to miss that...

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Totally agree. I think it's a great game but it could be so much more. It is a refined VR experience, not a revolutionary one.

Unlike you though I am an action fan and to me HL2 is one of the best paced action games ever made. The sheer variety in situations and new gameplay mechanics every hour is incredible. This game is so so so so scaled down. I know it's "Alyx" so I shouldn't expect the full HL experience but still, they could have expanded more. So much of the game is just rooms and hallways.
Oh I'm definitely an action fan, I enjoy every genre of games lol, and I agree with your sentiment on HL2 (might not have been clear from my post but I LOVED HL2 for all of its parts).

I think part of my problem was high expectations, due to both:
1. My own hype about HL coming back after 13 years (this was gonna happen no matter what HL came back as)
2. The way the game was talked about/shown/describes prior (a lot of the VR gameplay footage released by Valve showed situations or interactions that often didn't matter or didn't work without significant effort. Also, "most story we've ever put in a HL game" was quite the exaggeration by one of the devs).

Am hyped for HL3 though seeing how we (once again) have a major cliff hanger!

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Yo, I personally hated it but I think you might actually really enjoy Boneworks. It doesn't have much of a story but is basically all physics puzzles and there are headcrab like enemies that you can kill by bashing them into walls or using whatever is around. It's definitely a game for VR veterans.

To parrot you, even though this was possibly the greatest gaming experience I've ever had - there is certainly room to improve (similar to how I felt about BOTW) I hope the next half life is also in VR and next time around they expand on the physics interactions (make it so you can harm enemies with world objects and also be able to light matches, flick lighters, open books and binders etc).
After playing HLA I definitely plan on getting boneworks and Walking dead, especially now that I'm more used to continuous motion lol. I'm also excited that this release should reinvigorate VR as a platform, plus the release of the Hammer tool for people to make custom levels is really exciting!

As a VR experience I definitely think HLA is one of the best and most cohesive packages out there, but yeah, it could definitely be better both as a VR game and as a HL game.