• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
We had very different experiences.

Ammo was low and I had to actually just run away from them in chapter 8. The next chapter, I got cornered by a handful of them and died at one point. I don't understand how you can just kill them all off so easily with multiple ones coming at you from different directions on hard difficulty, unless you're a real life robocop

I don't know about the next chapter but chapter 8 was really simplistic with them.
I am going very slow, I search every inch of the world for ammo and resin so I am well stocked. I don't see how they don't give you enough space to just hang back and shoot them. I would go backwards and fire at their legs which slow them down, then blow them up. They hardly even dodge, they sort of just march at you. And I never saw a situation in that chapter where they came from multiple sides, I always kept them in front and it was like a parade. That's how I experienced chapter 8. Hopefully the next is more intense.

Remember in episode 2 when they are coming in from multiple routes and you have to set traps and turrets and defend the location, why can't we have that? Don't spoil it if that's what we get later.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really want to point fingers at particular people or podcasts, but I'm sure a lot of us have heard more than a few hot takes already from whatever podcasts we do listen to recently about Alyx, or Doom Eternal, and.. it's going off topic a bit, but given what's going on the world right now I just feel really fucking lucky to have these great games we get to play, and I understand that people in the game critiquing sphere don't want to be pegged down as being hyperbolic or too excitable, or whatever, but right now I'm looking at this last wave of games and thinking "Holy hell, these are some of the best games I've ever seen" and I get excited to listen to podcasts and share in that excitement with them, and it's a real bummer to see that some people have these ridiculous, lukewarm attitudes to these monumental achievements. And I realize that opinions are just that, and they don't have to be shared, but I consider myself to a ... a pretty picky person, not easily impressed, and to have my insane expectations for some of these titles being blown away but to not have that excitement be seen or felt by the people I like to listen to kinda sucks, and the rationales feel hollow. Every day I'm coming in this thread and I'm seeing people having literally the time of their gaming lives, so I know I'm not unique here in how I feel about this game, but goddamn, definitely having moments where I'm wondering if some podcasters are playing the same game I am.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one feeling like this, you put it into words perfectly. Like I just wish they'd devote at least some of the same level of deep layered discussion about the negatives or critiques to the things the game excels at as well. There's plenty of objectively great things about the game to talk about, but they're like briefly mentioned in one sentence before going right back to the things they don't like.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
God fucking jeff

So many rollercoaster moments in here; "nice, I locked him in the storeroom! oh god, I have to go back in the storeroom. yes, I got the airlock open! oh god he wants to come in too. thank god I got it working! OH MY GOD HE'S IN HERE WITH ME AND I HAVE TO HIT THE BUTTON.

fucking masterful stuff. never been happier to put someone in a trash compactor

It's amazing, that's pure design brilliance.

Balancing every action you do so you don't drop a bottle is an experience impossible on a regular controller. Oh and if you go for all the resin, the things you have to do lol. Every inch of me was totally absorbed, I was opening carbonates with a hand waiting to catch something that might fall down, and I succeeded one time. One time I opened a locker to find a shit ton of bottles falling so I quickly slammed it. The gag with the headcrab dropping bottles, I caught two of them then it drops a whole crate lol.

When the lights go out and you need to activate it and let Jeff out, lol. And if you accidentally trip the alarm, my god. It's so good! I wish the whole game had as clever situations as this.

Oh and I need a Resident Evil game like this but with lickers. Please give me!

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017

Balancing every action you do so you don't drop a bottle is an experience impossible on a regular controller. Oh and if you go for all the resin, the things you have to do lol. Every inch of me was totally absorbed, I was opening carbonates with a hand waiting to catch something that might fall down, and I succeeded one time. One time I opened a locker to find a shit ton of bottles falling so I quickly slammed it. The gag with the headcrab dropping bottles, I caught two of them then it drops a whole crate lol.

When the lights go out and you need to activate it and let Jeff out, lol. And if you accidentally trip the alarm, my god. It's so good! I wish the whole game had as clever situations as this.

The covering your mouth mechanic is brilliant for the same reason; losing a hand is devastating and the fact that you have to go with one hand while you're near him is incredibly tense. Amazing stuff!

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
All these spoiler tags ! I need to get there, only four-ish hours in, savoring every moment and playing super slow.

It's so insanely good!

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Is there a way to adjust your height with a Rift S? I searched how to do it but I'm not finding anything except for the suggestion to use the "reset view" option, which only changed the direction I look in

I'd just like to be able to play it seated at times, but it makes the view way too low

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got home and played my first hour. This is the real deal, holy shit. I've had some incredible VR experiences over the past few years but nothing like this game. Absolutely loving it, I can't wait to play more later.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

It was amazing. But I wish they actually threw a couple headcrabs at us during that segment or another enemy to make me dread having to pull my gun out and make noise. It became very easy and barely scary later on. It was still extremely well done and one of my favorite parts of the game though for sure.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
God fucking jeff

So many rollercoaster moments in here; "nice, I locked him in the storeroom! oh god, I have to go back in the storeroom. yes, I got the airlock open! oh god he wants to come in too. thank god I got it working! OH MY GOD HE'S IN HERE WITH ME AND I HAVE TO HIT THE BUTTON.

fucking masterful stuff. never been happier to put someone in a trash compactor
I didn't try it on my first run, but I heard something happens if you let him out of the compactor after you open the tunnel.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, am I doing something wrong with the health syringes?
I've got one in each of my wrist pouches and am down to one heart, I pulled out a syringe and then...nothing. I'd swear that the tutorial one worked fine, just jab it into your hand and automatically use it, but now when I take one out and try to jab it into my hand nothing at all happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, am I doing something wrong with the health syringes?
I've got one in each of my wrist pouches and am down to one heart, I pulled out a syringe and then...nothing. I'd swear that the tutorial one worked fine, but now when I take one out and try to jab it into my hand nothing at all happens. Am I doing something wrong?
Click the button to extend the needle.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I didn't see anything there that's huge on its own, but there are a *lot* of locations shown and encounters... if you're planning on playing, I wouldn't watch it just to be safe.
Alright, thanks.

Ahh, it's so tempting to watch videos of this game because I'm not gonna own a VR setup any time soon, but I do really hope to play this one day.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else disappointed you can't crack open the beers? They catch on surfaces just like a real one would but no such luck :/

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I finished the game last night. Was left shook and in tears. 13 years... Is there anything for carrying that bottle of vodka with you? I carried it with me as far as I could go and I haven't noticed anything.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Is there a way to adjust your height with a Rift S? I searched how to do it but I'm not finding anything except for the suggestion to use the "reset view" option, which only changed the direction I look in

I'd just like to be able to play it seated at times, but it makes the view way too low

Run the Room-scale setup in Steam VR. It'll fix things for you. I had the problem where I was hovering 20 cm off the ground in Alyx, but this fixed it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just started Chapter 8 (Chapter 7 was fucking amazing). How long do I have left? Just wondering whether I'd be able to finish it tonight (starting at 20:00) or not. The Chapters have definitely varied in terms of length so far.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
bc3.jpg

Just started Chapter 8 (Chapter 7 was fucking amazing). How long do I have left? Just wondering whether I'd be able to finish it tonight (starting at 20:00) or not. The Chapters have definitely varied in terms of length so far.
Not long! There's 11 chapters and the last 2 are pretty quick.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do you need to have the main Steam client open to register achievements/playtime or should just running SteamVR as the game has to do obviously be enough? Trying to figure out why the couple hours I played last night didn't register for achievements/time tracker. I thought I had Steam up but I did launch it through the Oculus recently played list.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i just started last night and all i can say is...holy shit this game. ive been out of VR for a while now, with the last thing being played was beat saber and tetris effect. playing with the WMR hp headset really makes me wish i had a higher end VR set up though. the "sweet spot" for the headset is really hampering my experience. also with the movement options, teleport is by far and away the most comfortable for me, like its not even close. BUT on one had i feel that playing that way is really doing the game a disservice. And on the other hand playing with constant motion using the thumbsticks really jacks me up. I can only handle it for maybe 30mins or so. even now, ive had the headset off for maybe 10 mins and i still feel a bit loopy.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've saw that suggestion before too, but I'm not seeing the setup option in Steam VR and assumed it's because I own a Rift S which doesn't use base stations
But maybe I'm just being blind :s

VJ2UDdy.png

Oculus headsets also have their own boundry system called guardian. You can change that by going to the oculus app and going to "setting -> devices -> run full setup"

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I've saw that suggestion before too, but I'm not seeing the setup option in Steam VR and assumed it's because I own a Rift S which doesn't use base stations
But maybe I'm just being blind :s

I have a Rift S too. You need to run Room Setup on Steam. The Oculus and Steam systems will talk to each other to some degree, but you need to set them both up first.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Finished my 2nd playthrough with chompski.

Not transformative but absolutely the best VR game I've ever played, just an all around solid linear experience with great environment/gameplay variety. Nothing over stays its welcome (not hot on that explosive xen goop though). Gravity gloves are so useful I want them in real life lol

That ending is the hypest thing I've ever grabbed.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played this with a Oculus Rift CV1? If so how does it look? I used mine primarily for sim racing but stopped because of the resolution/screen door effect. I felt like I was getting eye strain from trying to see details in the distance.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone played this with a Oculus Rift CV1? If so how does it look? I used mine primarily for sim racing but stopped because of the resolution/screen door effect. I felt like I was getting eye strain from trying to see details in the distance.

It looks really good to me. Yeah racing games look crummy because you're always staring into the distant horizon (although I think Dirt Rally looks better because it's usually closer stuff with all the elevation changes/turns). Alyx is much smaller areas for the most part so the detail looks absolutely fine. Best looking VR game for sure.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Looked great to me! You stop noticing the screen door effect fairly quickly, and I think my sharpness was limited more by not supersampling. Again, the game looks magnificent.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
phew. just played 2 hours of hla. pretty amazing. small thing that i discovered, as someone whose rig is probably too old to play it properly. i was getting a message about vram struggling, so i had the bright idea to drop my monitors rez, as it's 1440p, and i think that together with an older cpu was bottle necking stuff. it worked. i went from a stuttering mess to playable at medium details. play over link using an oculus quest. works surprisingly well.

i tried it on my old cv1 and it just feels really dirty, there's a lot of screen door. i've been trying it using a quest and link, and it's surprisingly good. i'd love to try it at a higher framerate (quest is 72fps), but yeah it's what i have right now, and it's still amazing. and the fidelity of the quest is a big improvement over cv1.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really good to me. Yeah racing games look crummy because you're always staring into the distant horizon (although I think Dirt Rally looks better because it's usually closer stuff with all the elevation changes/turns). Alyx is much smaller areas for the most part so the detail looks absolutely fine. Best looking VR game for sure.
Looked great to me! You stop noticing the screen door effect fairly quickly, and I think my sharpness was limited more by not supersampling. Again, the game looks magnificent.
i tried it on my old cv1 and it just feels really dirty, there's a lot of screen door. i've been trying it using a quest and link, and it's surprisingly good. i'd love to try it at a higher framerate (quest is 72fps), but yeah it's what i have right now, and it's still amazing. and the fidelity of the quest is a big improvement over cv1.

Thanks all! I'll give it shot as the game seems too good not to try it. I've been tempted to get an Index but I keep reading that the Vive Pro is better for sim racing which I do a ton of compared to regular VR gaming. That's why I've held on to the CV1 instead of selling it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I hope it comes soon. Imagine the possibilities!

Much of the stuff powering the VR side of things in Half Life Alyx has already been released to developers for years now through the SteamVR API or things like The Lab Renderer. Not Source 2, but you can use Steam Skeletal Input, for example, which is what handles the hands in Half Life Alyx, in UE4 and Unity by just checking a few boxes.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Had it in my mind, if I open that cupboard, and a bottle falls out .......... oh shit its actually happening, grabbed it, achievement! They knew what people would be experiencing, its great. I then put it back in and it rolled out again, missed the catch, oops.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Much of the stuff powering the VR side of things in Half Life Alyx has already been released to developers for years now through the SteamVR API or things like The Lab Renderer. Not Source 2, but you can use Steam Skeletal Input, for example, which is what handles the hands in Half Life Alyx, in UE4 and Unity by just checking a few boxes.

Oh, this is good to know, although I wonder how much of an influx of amateur development we'll see with the SDK release.