• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I think the quest is overall the most attractive platform to consumers wanting to jump into VR. It's basically the closest there is to a VR console. It's a jack of all trades, master of none, but everything it does, it does pretty well. It's definitely a good enough platform to play Alyx with.

As a developer, I was initially mixed on the release of the quest because of some bad practices oculus had regarding getting on the quest store (which they've since sorta relaxed, but I still have problems with to a degree), but their support of Oculus Link has been an overall huge win for the VR industry since. They essentially doubled the PCVR market in one day when they released the Quest Link.
Hypothetically, if I were to buy an Oculus Quest and link it to my crappy laptop, would I be able to play Alyx? Does the Quest do all the legwork, or am I totally misguided?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know they've talked about unwillingness as of yet to release a Source 2 SDK code base, but mannnnnn it could revolutionize VR if they chose to. Maybe with another game or 2 when they have more assets and Source 2 is more polished.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, has anyone seen this clip? When are we all starting crate runs?

Yep, it's what I've been doing. Makes a huge difference in big firefights to have a ton of grenades.

See:

Carry a bucket around so you can carry more than your 2 wrists & 2 hands worth of grenades / health items. Sometimes it can be a little tricky, but laying down a bucket of 10 grenades before a big firefight will really give you an advantage, especially if you get the grenade launcher shotgun upgrade!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I reset my view? I've found that I'm far away from my "feet" when I look down and I'm in a better position.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Valve does a ton of things with painstaking detail that will be referenced for years; however, one exception I would mention is smooth locomotion. Yes it could be argued that I'm not playing the way Valve originally intended, but they did include it and I don't think it's quite right. I would say a few other games do it slightly better (although I still don't think any game does it perfect), and I think Valve just came to the smooth locomotion party a little too late. It's still totally acceptable and in some ways the slowness of it makes it that much more atmospheric, but more than just the slowness, my feet feel very disconnected from the ground. I'm not asking for Boneworks like body physics, but things sometimes feel very "slidey", and sliding over slightly protruding objects along the pathway doesn't always feel right. A single slow base speed also makes combat feel pretty awkward sometimes. I may try blink for my second playthrough to compare.

As an aside, don't forget that during combat you have complete freedom to use the jump / warp option to get around quickly; I find that helps keep the combat fast-moving and fair since you need flanking options and the enemies have a pretty good aim on them.

The thing about locomotion in Alyx is that, like most things in the game, it's been implemented in a way that prioritizes the player's comfort more than anything else -- yes, even at the expense of presentation. When you fall, for instance, you're not falling quite as fast as you'd expect to; they appear to have purposefully slowed your descent down to keep falling from inducing any discomfort. Likewise, when you're mantling, that operation is very smooth -- again, not trying to rock the boat. This is extended to other operations too: climbing ladders is a funny one, because you can hold on to the ladder with just your left hand for instance and by rotating your left hand around effectively rotate your body around. It's not realistic; presentation here is sacrificed to keep climbing ladders about as easy as possible and will no accidental upsets. Likewise, large falls result in deaths. When you're at the top of a ladder, they game once again decides to prioritize comfort; smoothly interpolating the player's current position to the "top" of the ladder without any input needed you from you. I realize you said you didn't need or want Bonework's style physics here, but a lot of decisions have been made here to avoid having to deal with the problems that Bonework's welcomes with open arms.

I do think they could insert a head-bob for people who want a bit more physicality to the movement, and maybe that would help. All of these decisions, though, are just that: decisions. Like, there's nothing stopping Valve from simulating IK so your position could ebb and flow as you walk across uneven surfaces (hell, the two little feet that project out in front of you when you go to warp actually have IK, hilariously, implemented. Go and see!), but vertical movement is a thing that can cause a lot of discomfort. Valve definitely chose a model for locomotion that I think is the common denominator for people and keeping peoples' lunch firmly planted in their stomachs. Even with that said, there are times that the game can make even hardened VR people feel a bit uneasy, and the game's smooth turning I find surprisingly difficult on me.

I see them adding even more options as we move forward, but I do want to be clear here: even the surprisingly simple approach to locomotion here is very clearly done with the intent of prioritizing player comfort. I can understand why that might not be the best choice for some players from an immersion standpoint, but it's not a shoddy implementation or anything, just a safe one.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My only issue with movement is not being able to sprint. Having to choose between walking to the next point of cover or teleporting isn't ideal.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game had a NG+ feature so I could blow through it again with all my upgrades and keep getting more resin to finish them out.

I would also love some kind of arena mode that lets you pick from a few of the encounters in the campaign and replay them or an extended version of them. No other game has felt as good as far as VR combat for me, and I'd love the option to jump back in and fight some combine troops, xen, or antlions (or all 3) casually. That would really give the game some extra staying power for me, because I want to keep playing it but don't want to spend time redoing a lot of the puzzles and stuff. Hopefully they consider adding something like this!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So people who have finished... without spoiling anything, do you feel like Valve is going to make another HL game soon or was this more of a one-and-done, stop-asking-about-HL game?
I think they will. I mean it's technically possible it could get delayed and be like what happened after Episode Two again, but this ending really makes me feel optimistic about the series.

Deleted member 64804

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
I'm guessing the impact of this game is greater if this is one of your first VR experiences but from what I've played thus far I'm not sure how this game separates itself from some other VR experiences which is what I was expecting going in. I mean it's great being in the Half-Life universe and all and the visuals are top-notch for a VR game but for instance I'm not having the same sense of presence as I did in something like Lone Echo where you really could interact with a lot of the environment and control your momentum, etc. Maybe I just need to get further in the game. Nothing wrong with it per say but I guess I have those Valve expectations. Hope to blown away at some point as I'm only in Chapter 3.

I dunno I was pretty blown away from the get go honestly. The graphical fidelity is like nothing I've seen in other VR games - plus the animation and amount of objects you can mess with. For reference I've only played a lot of: Boneworks, Blade and sorcery (with lightsabers and force stuff) h3, budget cuts, Skyrim VR, Vader Immortal, and the Walking Dead, all of which had their moments but felt nothing like this to me.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any way to reset it? I found a better spot.

I don't understand what you mean. You don't have to stand on those feet, that's just a way for the game to tell you where the middle of your room is. This uses roomscale, you are free to move around the entire room and shift the world around you with analog sticks or teleportation. The game accounts for where you are in your room at all times.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
As an aside, don't forget that during combat you have complete freedom to use the jump / warp option to get around quickly; I find that helps keep the combat fast-moving and fair since you need flanking options and the enemies have a pretty good aim on them.

The thing about locomotion in Alyx is that, like most things in the game, it's been implemented in a way that prioritizes the player's comfort more than anything else -- yes, even at the expense of presentation. When you fall, for instance, you're not falling quite as fast as you'd expect to; they appear to have purposefully slowed your descent down to keep falling from inducing any discomfort. Likewise, when you're mantling, that operation is very smooth -- again, not trying to rock the boat. This is extended to other operations too: climbing ladders is a funny one, because you can hold on to the ladder with just your left hand for instance and by rotating your left hand around effectively rotate your body around. It's not realistic; presentation here is sacrificed to keep climbing ladders about as easy as possible and will no accidental upsets. Likewise, large falls result in deaths. When you're at the top of a ladder, they game once again decides to prioritize comfort; smoothly interpolating the player's current position to the "top" of the ladder without any input needed you from you. I realize you said you didn't need or want Bonework's style physics here, but a lot of decisions have been made here to avoid having to deal with the problems that Bonework's welcomes with open arms.

I do think they could insert a head-bob for people who want a bit more physicality to the movement, and maybe that would help. All of these decisions, though, are just that: decisions. Like, there's nothing stopping Valve from simulating IK so your position could ebb and flow as you walk across uneven surfaces (hell, the two little feet that project out in front of you when you go to warp actually have IK, hilariously, implemented. Go and see!), but vertical movement is a thing that can cause a lot of discomfort. Valve definitely chose a model for locomotion that I think is the common denominator for people and keeping peoples' lunch firmly planted in their stomachs. Even with that said, there are times that the game can make even hardened VR people feel a bit uneasy, and the game's smooth turning I find surprisingly difficult on me.

I see them adding even more options as we move forward, but I do want to be clear here: even the surprisingly simple approach to locomotion here is very clearly done with the intent of prioritizing player comfort. I can understand why that might not be the best choice for some players from an immersion standpoint, but it's not a shoddy implementation or anything, just a safe one.

Some good points. That's true about using the teleport for quick shifts during combat while still using the smooth movement setting, I kind of forgot about that. And I definitely don't think it's a bad implementation of smooth locomotion...but I'm admittedly not entirely convinced that Valve found the right balance when it comes to comfort vs. playability here. Based on interviews, they really spent a lot of time with teleport, and I think that and blink are natural solutions to high comfort play. Not saying they should go full Boneworks with smooth movement, but if you look at a game like Pavlov, there's exclusively smooth locomotion with sprinting, and that game is the most popular VR multiplayer game on Steam. The non-sprint base speed is even significantly faster than HL: Alyx. One thing that game does really well is that when you're sprinting, your gun bobs up and down in your hands. It seems like a small deal, but it really adds something. Also, if you sprint and look laterally, it force stops the sprint. Maybe that game's movement also feels better to me because there is less going on in the environment and there are no pacing problems with being able to constantly sprint around the map, whereas with Alyx, you're meant to move through tighter rooms in a much more methodical manner. There's also just far more geometry/objects around in comparison to a game like Pavlov.

But another issue that I mentioned about the smooth movement is how small ground protrusions make you feel like you're on wheels. When you step on a slightly raised object in real life, you step on top of it and you have sort of a smooth height change transition. In Alyx it feels like when you hit something that is say, an inch higher, the camera just suddenly pops up an inch. This is all sort of in retrospect from my play time yesterday (haven't played today) so don't hold me to that, I need to go back in and see if that's really the case. I don't know if other games have found a solution to this besides just keeping the ground flat rather than having minor changes in elevation because of game objects.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you still early in the game or just starting. My tip to you is to save your resin and get the laser sight for your pistol. It makes shootouts a lot less frustrating lol.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
When do the horror elements ramp up in this game? I just got to chapter 4 and it really isn't doing much for me now ( I'm not invested in the Half-Life story at all), but I hear it becomes a horror game which really excites me. The graphics and animations are incredible, just can't wait for the gameplay and atmosphere to excite me the same way. I keep hearing people talk about chapter 7, will that be what I'm looking for?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
When do the horror elements ramp up in this game? I just got to chapter 4 and it really isn't doing much for me now ( I'm not invested in the Half-Life story at all), but I hear it becomes a horror game which really excites me. The graphics and animations are incredible, just can't wait for the gameplay and atmosphere to excite me the same way. I keep hearing people talk about chapter 7, will that be what I'm looking for?
Chapter 5 is spooky, chapter 7 is definitely on the horror side.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so Valve lied when they said that VR was the only possible way to play this game?...the presence of the "vr_enable_fake_vr_test" flag implies that the tools needed to play Half-Life: Alyx without VR are already in place

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you still early in the game or just starting. My tip to you is to save your resin and get the laser sight for your pistol. It makes shootouts a lot less frustrating lol.

On the other hand, if you're good with firearms handling it's really not needed.

I'd say save those resin for other upgrades if you are proficient.

(The trick is using the sights and not trying to fire from the hip like a video game character)

When you fall, for instance, you're not falling quite as fast as you'd expect to; they appear to have purposefully slowed your descent down to keep falling from inducing any discomfort.

This is a big one I noticed that no other VR games does. Alyx has a much lower terminal velocity. Prevents that "stomach drop" I get in literally every other VR game, still even with years of VR legs. (I kinda like the drop tho...)

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is it normal that some edges tend to shimmer a lot? Is that just a limitation of the headset (Valve Index) itself?
Also how do I know at which resolution & fps the game is running at? I've got a 1080+3700x, all graphic settings maxed and I have no idea if I'm even hitting 90 let alone 120 fps...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
so Valve lied when they said that VR was the only possible way to play this game?...the presence of the "vr_enable_fake_vr_test" flag implies that the tools needed to play Half-Life: Alyx without VR are already in place

Probably for debugging/testing? A quick way to do stuff without having to put a headset on and off multiple times.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Just completed it. Was everything I wanted it to be, and I had the most ridiculous expectations. Can't wait for whatever comes next, and the end credits music was fucking amazing.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, if you're good with firearms handling it's really not needed.

I'd say save those resin for other upgrades if you are proficient.

(The trick is using the sights and not trying to fire from the hip like a video game character)

yea I know how to aim a firearm. My first upgrade was the reflex sight and it made things go downhill. Wish I could remove that.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's a tripwire on chapter 6 that blows up every single time and I can't figure out why.

Does story difficulty make you immune to traps?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Just finished it, 9h of gametime (which is surprising because I took my damn time with each area and every review said there's 15-17h), after this I don't want to imagine a Half Life game in anything other than VR, this game spoiled my gaming experience for life.