• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I just finished the game... the story goes places! A great milestone in VR. I played it standing with continuous movement (used shift/dash during the most hefty scenes). Oculus Quest w/Link + Vive Deluxe Audio Strap (a FrankenQuest setup). I will save my next play-through for the Valve Index & stronger rig (should be here in the next month). The Quest had what felt like a miniscule lag to it that I tolerated rather quickly but I bet the physics interaction can feel even better. My cold summaries of the game:

Nitpicks:
- Gameplay loop can feel a bit samey on a couple of occasions, one does a lot of searching (self induced perhaps).
- The loading of different sections takes one out a bit as they can take upwards of 20-30 seconds (I'm using a 2015 SSD). If you die you have to reload the level data fully it seems.
- The gravity pull can be slightly tricky sometime in the heat of things as it has half-a-second object-activation.
- Game could have put in some transition animations like vaulting, climbing off a ladder and such. Continuous movement can feel a bit 'skatey'.

Pros:
+ Next-gen Half-Life looks great! Lots of details to check out all over. And it is really well optimized. Runs just fine in low-fidelity on my 2015 rig with art shining through.
+ Very clear gameplay and interaction. They have tested this to a high degree. They made gravity pull a central part of your gear and not just unexplained VR feature.
+ Despite my comments about some repetition the game is overall actually quite varied, mostly in atmosphere. There's horror, there's big shoot-outs, there's exotic alien stuff and there's the weird & epic...
+ They have taken the VR innovations over the recent years and tweaked and polished them. They are all gathered under the package that is Half-Life: Alyx. Great interface with 'wrist pockets', weapon-selector w/1:1 movement, when you drop down a height the camera goes down slowly etc.
+ The physicality of the world is top notch. I love that the hands are true physics objects. I love that the camera fades out the view w/muffled sounds if you clip your head through the wall. The creatures are fleshy with elastic skin when touched, match-stick boxes have what feels like real non-gamey gravity to them. I can be creative during combat and use a broom to punch away headcrabs, hammering out shards in a window...
+ Gunplay is a lot of fun with all the manual reloading and dexterity required. In the end I had all the moves in like feeding a new magazine into my pistol when there's one bullet left so I don't need to pull the slide etc.
+ High quality 3D audio and music.
+ On point humor throughout. Story leaves one very satisfied in the end.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
My god I can't handle this anymore!!
The Index isn't going to be here anytime soon.
What are your thoughts on the Oculus Quest All-in-one VR Gaming Headset – 128GB?
Is it comparable to the Index?
I've never tried a quest and I'm sure it's fine but if you can afford an index I'd say wait for it because this game is an amazing experience that you only get one first time at. Understandable if you decide not to wait in fear of spoilers or needing to play it though.

People seem to think it looks and plays good on everything including Quest.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really hope that we end up getting a VR Orange Box.

Maybe in a couple of years when the PSVR2 is out and the XSX makes itself compatible with PCVR hardware.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are your thoughts on the Oculus Quest All-in-one VR Gaming Headset – 128GB?

I think the quest is overall the most attractive platform to consumers wanting to jump into VR. It's basically the closest there is to a VR console. It's a jack of all trades, master of none, but everything it does, it does pretty well. It's definitely a good enough platform to play Alyx with.

As a developer, I was initially mixed on the release of the quest because of some bad practices oculus had regarding getting on the quest store (which they've since sorta relaxed, but I still have problems with to a degree), but their support of Oculus Link has been an overall huge win for the VR industry since. They essentially doubled the PCVR market in one day when they released the Quest Link.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Pro-tip for anyone who's back might be giving them hell while they're playing standing... uh, make sure you have footwear on! Been playing lots of this badboy in my socks or slippers and turns out actual proper footwear makes a difference :-/

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pro-tip for anyone who's back might be giving them hell while they're playing standing... uh, make sure you have footwear on! Been playing lots of this badboy in my socks or slippers and turns out actual proper footwear makes a difference :-/

Huh, I normally don't wear shoes in the house but I'll give this a try. My back has been sore today, I feel like an old man lol.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I really hope that we end up getting a VR Orange Box.

Maybe in a couple of years when the PSVR2 is out and the XSX makes itself compatible with PCVR hardware.

VR Counterstrike 2 with on the new engine would be so fucking cool. I realize Pavlov sort of fills that niche right now, but I'm talking made by Valve, Source 2, new maps and everything.

I feel like part of the reason it hurts my back is because I sit too damn much. It's like our bodies trying to fix shit, sore now, feels better later.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I normally don't wear shoes in the house but I'll give this a try. My back has been sore today, I feel like an old man lol.

It can feel especially strange when you're wearing your trainers alongside... erm... "lockdown-appropriate attire" is all I'll refer to the rest as.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Fuck I hope that Valve employee is being clever in his response and other Valve games were put on pause to finish Alyx but that they had some substantial progress on them and will now resume and release soon-ish. I neeeed more. I want Left 4 Dead VR or a fantasy VR adventure in the beautiful Dota world. Or an incredible game in a fresh new IP so we don't have so many people whining.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck I hope that Vakve employee is hbeing clever in his response and other Valve games were put on pause to finish Alyx but that they have some substantial progress on them and will now resume themp. I neeeed more. I want Left 4 Dead VR or a fantasy VR adventure in the beautiful Dota world. Or an incredible game in a fresh new IP so we don't have so many people whining.

I feel the same. I want Valve to make Half-Life 3 of course, and for it be on PC's, consoles, whatever. But seeing what they can do in VR, I don't want this to end here. L4D, Dota, new IP, HL: Barney, whatever it is, I just want more now.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Half-Life Alyx OST!!!

www.youtube.com

Half-Life: Alyx - Complete Soundtrack

Half-Life: Alyx OST Includes every song from the game

Pretty cool. Gotta say I think I'm partial to Half Life 2 sountrack. I like the droning industrial beats it has a lot. But a lot of cool ambient stuff here and a couple neat heavy hitters. Almost sounds like NIN Ghosts album lol.

Fuck I hope that Valve employee is being clever in his response and other Valve games were put on pause to finish Alyx but that they had some substantial progress on them and will now resume and release soon-ish. I neeeed more. I want Left 4 Dead VR or a fantasy VR adventure in the beautiful Dota world. Or an incredible game in a fresh new IP so we don't have so many people whining.

I would love a new Valve IP made just for VR. The only existing Valve IP I would in VR would really hope for is a new Counterstrike...but I feel like that would get even more flak than Half Life because it's still so active as a competitive game. Well I'd also love to see Portal VR but I get why they quickly dropped that idea.

I think there's almost no way they'll give up on creating VR games at this point considering they made their own headset (that remains sold out), and the praise this game is getting.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Finished chapter 8. I'm not sure if this even counts as a spoiler, but I'll tag it to be safe.

After I finished my electrician work at the end of chapter 8 combine soldiers shown up and I decided to put down an explosive barrel and stay back until they approached it. During this time, they had some interesting chatter while they looked for me. One of them said, "Alyx! Hey Alyx!" in this friendly sounding tone and the other combine soldier died laughing about it. Then I shot the barrel. Thought that was neat

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished it and that's the best game I've played in a few years. As someone who is new to VR (my Index arrived exactly a week before the game launched and I had about an hour total of experience with the PSVR) there were some sections, mostly combat sections, that were incredibly frustrating. It was all well worth the frustration.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

I'm being optimistic about it. He said that currently they aren't working on other games because most people shifted to work on Alyx late in development. Hopefully, the reception this game has will inspire them to continue work on another one. Gabe did say in the IGN article that the reception to this game is huge for them and will control their conversation for the next 18 months.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Parted with Jeff earlier, what a great level.

The guy you meet at the start of the level complimented my helmet as well that I had put on. :D

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use the 64 version and I love it.
In terms of comparison, the Index is, of course, a much better headset to the Quest, it's also a lot more expensive.
In the end, it really depends on what you want, if it's the best VR experience available go with the Index.
If you're open to having a great VR experience and the ability to play standalone games and wireless PCVR, go Quest.
Either way, you'll have a great time and that is important to point out, WHICHEVER headset you'll get, you will have an amazing time.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything they do has a deeply thought out and intended purpose, even if it doesn't resonate with everyone.

This is going to be, I think, the story of Half-Life: Alyx over the next couple of years as people break down the brilliance of this game. Sure, right now, it's an experience limited to a very few due to extenuating circumstances, but as VR continues its breakthrough performance -- aided in large part by this game, I'd think -- the conversation is going to be about how nuanced every single decision Valve made with this game. There's so much stupid, little shit that most people aren't even going to think about as they play that adds so much to the experience, it's like a Naughty Dog level of polish and consideration but in VR. One of my favorite features is the sound / physics simulation from Alyx's clothes and items as you teleport; when Valve mentioned that they had done the work to simulate the movement you *would* do moving from point A to B, and using that simulation to figure out what sounds should happen and then replaying those quickly once you finish your teleport, I knew I would be listening for that during my playtime. It's such a fucking small thing, and yet, it's insane how much it helps to keep you in the world, and now allow the obvious limitations of something like a teleport to ruin the sense the player has of immersion.

Almost every mechanic, physical interaction, enemy design, environment, etc. has been given that level of attention. Hell, I think even the lighting is designed in a way to limit the amount of God Rays that occur on the Valve Index; I have noticed WAY less of those because there are less emissives and stark contrasts or bloom in the game than I see in a lot of games, and I understand that those are the main offenders with the fresnel lenses. Even the way that Valve layers the control model, partially transparent, on the player's hands when it becomes necessary to push a button in certain tutorials is a reminder that they actually care strongly about the experience, and they know that this is a LOT of peoples' first experience in VR. So, it's not enough to tell me to push some face button named "B" or whatever, I need to see it, especially since my eyes are covered. It's been an absolutely pleasureful experience so far.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I hope PSVR 2 has proper 360 degree tracking so Alyx can launch on PS5. This would sell shitton of PSVRs and maybe let the VR market grow overall.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished chapter 8. I'm not sure if this even counts as a spoiler, but I'll tag it to be safe.

After I finished my electrician work at the end of chapter 8 combine soldiers shown up and I decided to put down an explosive barrel and stay back until they approached it. During this time, they had some interesting chatter while they looked for me. One of them said, "Alyx! Hey Alyx!" in this friendly sounding tone and the other combine soldier died laughing about it. Then I shot the barrel. Thought that was neat

Funny since when they did that the first time and I was like uhhhh did they just say... and then Alyx says the same thing I was thinking.

Perfect writing

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Damn cutting those cables to the vault is one of my favorite moments so far, the scale feels immense in that moment. I'm going through it in 2-3 hour sessions so it may take me a while to beat, but this is a game that needs to be savored. I also get a sore throat after I'm playing for a while, probably because I forget to swallow at times lol. It's very (in)tense. I may also take that shoewear tip to heart, my feet and back hurt right now.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Lol I wouldn't risk not using shoes when playing an intense game that requires a decent amount of motion.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
This is going to be, I think, the story of Half-Life: Alyx over the next couple of years as people break down the brilliance of this game. Sure, right now, it's an experience limited to a very few due to extenuating circumstances, but as VR continues its breakthrough performance -- aided in large part by this game, I'd think -- the conversation is going to be about how nuanced every single decision Valve made with this game. There's so much stupid, little shit that most people aren't even going to think about as they play that adds so much to the experience, it's like a Naughty Dog level of polish and consideration but in VR. One of my favorite features is the sound / physics simulation from Alyx's clothes and items as you teleport; when Valve mentioned that they had done the work to simulate the movement you *would* do moving from point A to B, and using that simulation to figure out what sounds should happen and then replaying those quickly once you finish your teleport, I knew I would be listening for that during my playtime. It's such a fucking small thing, and yet, it's insane how much it helps to keep you in the world, and now allow the obvious limitations of something like a teleport to ruin the sense the player has of immersion.

Almost every mechanic, physical interaction, enemy design, environment, etc. has been given that level of attention. Hell, I think even the lighting is designed in a way to limit the amount of God Rays that occur on the Valve Index; I have noticed WAY less of those because there are less emissives and stark contrasts or bloom in the game than I see in a lot of games, and I understand that those are the main offenders with the fresnel lenses. Even the way that Valve layers the control model, partially transparent, on the player's hands when it becomes necessary to push a button in certain tutorials is a reminder that they actually care strongly about the experience, and they know that this is a LOT of peoples' first experience in VR. So, it's not enough to tell me to push some face button named "B" or whatever, I need to see it, especially since my eyes are covered. It's been an absolutely pleasureful experience so far.

I agree that Valve does a ton of things with painstaking detail that will be referenced for years; however, one exception I would mention is smooth locomotion. Yes it could be argued that I'm not playing the way Valve originally intended, but they did include it and I don't think it's quite right. I would say a few other games do it slightly better (although I still don't think any game does it perfect), and I think Valve just came to the smooth locomotion party a little too late. It's still totally acceptable and in some ways the slowness of it makes it that much more atmospheric, but more than just the slowness, my feet feel very disconnected from the ground. I'm not asking for Boneworks like body physics, but things sometimes feel very "slidey", and sliding over slightly protruding objects along the pathway doesn't always feel right. A single slow base speed also makes combat feel pretty awkward sometimes. I may try blink for my second playthrough to compare.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I've always enjoy VR since the early days and I've always wanted to come back for more but it's so different with Alyx. I NEED more. No VR game has made me want to slam the headset back on my head so I can dive back in. Valve is amazing.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Recorded a little footage of my son playing earlier, Chapter 2 with no spoilers.

I recorded at 120fps to ensure a nice 60fps encode. Might be interseting for people who have not got VR at the moment. Please let me know if the link does not work.

Also use headphones if possible as the binaural audio should still work through YouTube.

Half LIfe Alyx 60fps VR footage.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could play this on my CV1, but it won't stop crashing. Never had a problem with any other VR game.

Usually within a few seconds of starting gameplay, but sometimes even right as the menu appears to load/start a new game. I've tried everything. Is a 1080ti, i7 5820K, 32GB RAM not enough for this?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Absolutely incredible game. Just fantastic. Everyone should play it for themselves.

(Finished on CV1)

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I simply cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to play this seated. It's the only thing stopping me from finishing the game tonight (I'm on Chapter 10). I've tried using the in-game options to sit, then setting it to standing scale, I've searched around Steam VR itself to see if I can find seated. This is a genuine question, I'm not being grumpy here just generally curious, but is it really difficult to incorporate into a VR game's settings that you want to sit?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Carry a bucket around so you can carry more than your 2 wrists & 2 hands worth of grenades / health items. Sometimes it can be a little tricky, but laying down a bucket of 10 grenades before a big firefight will really give you an advantage, especially if you get the grenade launcher shotgun upgrade!

As someone who is new to VR (my Index arrived exactly a week before the game launched and I had about an hour total of experience with the PSVR) there were some sections, mostly combat sections, that were incredibly frustrating. It was all well worth the frustration.

I was interested to hear impressions from people new to VR. To me the game was pretty easy on normal, although not boring. But man they gave me a ton of health that I didn't need.

I wonder if there's an achievement for saving the snarks or grubs or whatever those things in the health machines are...

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on chapter 6 on Hard and so far the game is tense at times but not very difficult. What's actually affected by the difficulty?

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
I simply cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to play this seated. It's the only thing stopping me from finishing the game tonight (I'm on Chapter 10). I've tried using the in-game options to sit, then setting it to standing scale, I've searched around Steam VR itself to see if I can find seated. This is a genuine question, I'm not being grumpy here just generally curious, but is it really difficult to incorporate into a VR game's settings that you want to sit?
You should not have to change anything in SteamVR. Enable "height adjust" in the accessibility settings. If you're sitting you should be able to just turn on "Stand toggle," which I believe enables a toggle to standing height vs your natural sitting height by clicking on the left stick. There are other options in the height adjust setting as well including having both digital sit and stand, which I think are bound to the left and right stick click respectively. (The binds change depending on your controller but for most it's a stick click. I'm most familiar with Index binds though.)

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile

What I do is sit down, open Steam Room Setup, then configure the viewer in standing mode (but while I'm sitting), and at the moment of measuring height, I enter 1.70 cm, and that's it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
That final level, that music, that ENDING!

It's been almost 13 years since Episode 2, and four years into the retail consumer VR future. This game had a lot to live up to, and boy did it deliver. Valve was right to wait this long: Half-Life is a VR franchise now, there's no turning back.

And once more for good measure:
I ran this on a Rift CV1 with a GTX 980 TI/6700K rig, 16 GB of RAM and basic Samsung SSD, set to Medium preset, and the SteamVR graph thingy showed I kept within my 90 Hz budget almost all the time (save for occasional data streaming hitches.) This game is OPTIMIZED!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got to Chapter 8, that setting is so cool! This game has been a wild ride so far, and it only keeps getting better and better.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
You should not have to change anything in SteamVR. Enable "height adjust" in the accessibility settings. If you're sitting you should be able to just turn on "Stand toggle," which I believe enables a toggle to standing height vs your natural sitting height by clicking on the left stick. There are other options in the height adjust setting as well including having both digital sit and stand, which I think are bound to the left and right stick click respectively. (The binds change depending on your controller but for most it's a stick click. I'm most familiar with Index binds though.)

Thanks so much Jake, just managed to get this working finally! I just wasn't understanding the description well enough so this is very much on me.

Congrats on the game, by the way. It is absolutely incredible.