• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
the ending uses themes from Epistle 3 that those people seem to just gloss over
I forgot about some of that, I just re-read Epistle 3 and see what you're talking about.

We definitely will not get Epistle 3 as it was written, and that's for the better, as cool as it sounded, but this is in a different direction and is very interesting.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I only noticed a shadow pop in once and it was hardly that noticeable. I have my game installed on an NVME SSD which probably makes a big difference.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about some of that, I just re-read Epistle 3 and see what you're talking about.

We definitely will not get Epistle 3 as it was written, and that's for the better, as cool as it sounded, but this is in a different direction and is very interesting.

Yeah I talk about those themes and plot points they used in Alyx in the Spoiler thread if you want to find them.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marking spoilers just in case
I saw people discussing an interview where they said they want to make a new Half Life right away, anyone got a link?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
PC gamnig sucks big time. Updated my Asus drivers and now the game starts to stutter after pretty much exactly 20 minutes, sometimes so hard that it crashes. Even on low settings. WTF? Might have to reinstall my whole fucking PC to fix this crap. If it fixes anything at all.

Another things. Is it normal that Alyx only uses 4 GB of RAM?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using a Vive with Index controllers, anyone just have their left hand disappear? It's happened to me twice once it just sorta popped back up and second time I got it to come back by injecting myself. Only bug I've encounter and it's a strange one.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamnig sucks big time. Updated my Asus drivers and now the game starts to stutter after pretty much exactly 20 minutes, sometimes so hard that it crashes. Even on low settings. WTF? Might have to reinstall my whole fucking PC to fix this crap. If it fixes anything at all.

Another things. Is it normal that Alyx only uses 4 GB of RAM?
Asus drivers for what? Your motherboard?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized I totally forgot to update my geforce drivers before playing LOL. Well game ran great so no issues.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using a Vive with Index controllers, anyone just have their left hand disappear? It's happened to me twice once it just sorta popped back up and second time I got it to come back by injecting myself. Only bug I've encounter and it's a strange one.
It might just be losing tracking....do you have your base stations able to see where you are and see each other? Are you walking out of your "play area"?

If you can pull it off, I'd try to squeeze a small room-scale play area so you can have the chaperone grids on. I always had trouble doing the standing room only and would always walk out of the circle and not realize it.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tracking issues? Battery in the controller low?
It might just be losing tracking....do you have your base stations able to see where you are and see each other? Are you walking out of your "play area"?

If you can pull it off, I'd try to squeeze a small room-scale play area so you can have the chaperone grids on. I always had trouble doing the standing room only and would always walk out of the circle and not realize it.

It isn't a tracking issue because the controller still shows in the Steam dashboard and in the game menus, and it's tracking completely fine in those it's just in game itself it's gone.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I've had this happen a few times too with Quest + Link, and Quest + Virtual Desktop. Seems to get fixed by loading an earlier save.

Same thing though, that it shows up in the pause menu, just not the game. I've wondered if it's stuck on geometry elsewhere or something. Only ever on the left hand.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also yeah my playspace is pretty big but my base station are setup fine and can see each other, other than that weird bug it's tracked and performed beautifully just thought it was strange as I couldn't figure out how or why it was happening.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this happen a few times too with Quest + Link, and Quest + Virtual Desktop. Seems to get fixed by loading an earlier save.

Same thing though, that it shows up in the pause menu, just not the game. I've wondered if it's stuck on geometry elsewhere or something. Only ever on the left hand.
See I thought that too, that it was caught on something but if you inject hand or access it's wrist inventory it's still technically there and tracking.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Also yeah my playspace is pretty big but my base station are setup fine and can see each other, other than that weird bug it's tracked and performed beautifully just thought it was strange as I couldn't figure out how or why it was happening.
Do you see this happen in any other games?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once when I paused the game and came back in about 5 minutes my left hand was still tracking perfectly, but was about 3-4 feet above where it should have been. I was doing one of the globe puzzles so that may have been a trigger for it. Took me a bit of troubleshooting but manually turning the controller off and on again (by holding the button) fixed it. The only tracking or controller issue I've had.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game. This is the next step for VR and a revolution of gaming for me. I really HOPE now that the next Half Life is in VR. Valve sets the bar for shooters (again) and VR this time. Also they demolished all arguments that VR needs to be restricted much. Yes, there are still SOME restrictions, but it is the whole package, a complete Half Life experience on the level of the old games.The design, pacing, story, dialogue, set-pieces, ... are all very very good. Also the graphics, physics, lightning, animations, sound etc. all are incredibly good, even compared to non VR games.

Also, for some who think they might be too anxious because it is mostly a "Horror" game. I can't play normal Horror games (Anmesia, SOMA, etc.), but didn't have any problem in this game. Even some REALLY tense moments are just fun, because you are so into it. The game also never relies on Jump Scares or such things (well... ONE time near the end they got me GOOD).

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact for the day: It'll probably end up having dropped a percent or two by the time the rate of incoming reviews has settled, but Alyx's unfiltered review score on Steam has hit 98% positive (11k reviews), which puts the game ahead of Half-Life 2 and Episode Two as the highest-rated entry in the series (excluding the Portal games, both of which are also at 98% positive).
Valve da gawd

Less crunch, higher scores

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Jeff is a total Q-T π :3

One subtle bit about the story I really appreciate:

The "super weapon" is intended for off-world use; and when Alyx asks why the Combine doesn't use it on Earth, Russell tells her, "Because this war is already won." Alyx's actions in this game feel all the more selfless as a result, and it doesn't undermine Gordon Freeman's reputation as Earth's savior-in-waiting.

Brilliant stuff.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Man, I wasn't too hyped on this but now I want it.
Then I saw that my AMD FX 8350 is not powerful enough for it. I'll probably have to upgrade my whole rig (mobo/processor/RAM) soon....

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the impact of this game is greater if this is one of your first VR experiences but from what I've played thus far I'm not sure how this game separates itself from some other VR experiences which is what I was expecting going in. I mean it's great being in the Half-Life universe and all and the visuals are top-notch for a VR game but for instance I'm not having the same sense of presence as I did in something like Lone Echo where you really could interact with a lot of the environment and control your momentum, etc. Maybe I just need to get further in the game. Nothing wrong with it per say but I guess I have those Valve expectations. Hope to blown away at some point as I'm only in Chapter 3.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, the Jeff sequences have been my favorite so far. So many chuckles and fuck yous happening at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah..hearing this scares me a bit. I managed to scrape by through Chapter 3 despite full on nope-ing out twice in the initial encounter.

I would 100% be one of those people who would mod them out if I could.

I don't think you need to be scared about this but you should know that it's coming, and you will need to get use to it to get through the game. I have faith in you, though, and they do introduce something that makes it way easier to deal with them, too. So don't stress too much about it, but do know that it's always darkest before the dawn.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you need to be scared about this but you should know that it's coming, and you will need to get use to it to get through the game. I have faith in you, though, and they do introduce something that makes it way easier to deal with them, too. So don't stress too much about it, but do know that it's always darkest before the dawn.
Yeah I was gonna say, there's actually a couple of things in that chapter they give you to deal with the poison headcrabs.

The Xen grenades that you can keep dropping down and the pulse rifle.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated, why almost no VR games lets me control movement direction based on stick direction (relative to the controller) instead of head or controller tilt direction? It's a big pet peeve of mine.

Because many people developers don't pay attention to the discourse from other developers who experiment as much as you'd assume. Keeping up with all the best design practices is tough, especially right now for VR because it's still so new. By comparison, if you're making a conventional FPS on a flat screen, you have decades worth of examples to crib from when designing the controls. It's the reason why you can pick up any random FPS today and they all sort of control the same, over many, many huge selling examples, the controls and practices for flat games have become codified in the zeitgeist of gamers.

Decoupling body orientation from gaze is an early design idea that was discussed very heavily in oculus developer forums back around 2015 once it became possible. But over time, many devs haven't heeded that design decision. This is part of the reason Half Life Alyx is a tentpole, mario 64-style release: It presents all the best practices that have been learned in VR game design in the last 7 years, in a huge and polished enough package that everybody pays attention. Suddenly, when subsequent games from others are lacking options that HL:A had standard, you'll have players experienced and knowledgeable enough to ask why they are missing in the first place. It's legitimately a great thing for VR.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the impact of this game is greater if this is one of your first VR experiences but from what I've played thus far I'm not sure how this game separates itself from some other VR experiences which is what I was expecting going in. I mean it's great being in the Half-Life universe and all and the visuals are top-notch for a VR game but for instance I'm not having the same sense of presence as I did in something like Lone Echo where you really could interact with a lot of the environment and control your momentum, etc. Maybe I just need to get further in the game. Nothing wrong with it per say but I guess I have those Valve expectations. Hope to blown away at some point as I'm only in Chapter 3.

I'd give it a few more chapters. I'm on chapter 7 and its really ramped up since chapter 3.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, chapter 5 :|

Look, y'all, if you're having ... issues with the black headcrab spiders -- just get over it. Do everything you can to get over it.

edit: also, *everyone* should be getting the laser sight for the pistol. Save up for it, it is TOTALLY worth it if you have issues aiming. You can actually aim from the hip with it easily.
Yeah..hearing this scares me a bit. I managed to scrape by through Chapter 3 despite full on nope-ing out twice in the initial encounter.

I would 100% be one of those people who would mod them out if I could.

I will say this: Chapter 5 features one of the most memorable, horrifying, and ultimately gratifying experiences I've had in a video game.

Word of advice: if you ever feel overwhelmed, stop fighting and start running.

Fuck chapter 7. That was scary as fuck. I screamed at ~2:30am and I live in an apartment lol. Very good.

And yet Chapter 7 didn't bother me at all.
Blind monsters don't really scare me, though the sounds he makes are very nasty, and that elevator ride is no picnic.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sorta had your same feelings, but all that went away in Chapter 5. It picks up BIG time. Can't promise you'll feel any different, but it's a whole new game after that point, I felt like.

The first few chapters were just an introduction to VR for newer players. I think they had to strike the right balance, they didn't want to overwhelm people new to VR.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sorta had your same feelings, but all that went away in Chapter 5. It picks up BIG time. Can't promise you'll feel any different, but it's a whole new game after that point, I felt like.

Everything up to chapter 5 is honestly like a long tutorial. It's mainly a series of one on one encounters as they introduce all the enemie encounter types in the game. Once you get to chapter 5, the real game begins.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So I still haven't played this yet but I'm reading Alyx talks? Isn't that pretty nuts for a Half Life game?!

I'll have to try the game, but, I, uh, really don't like it when VR games don't have mute characters. The point of VR is I am the character—it's me, right there, in the world. That doesn't work if someone else is speaking for me.

I had to stop playing Lone Echo because of this...