• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Smooth turning made my life so much easier. Im so glad we have all options now.

Just got through chapter 3. Its Fucked. Fuuuuuuuuuucked. In the best possible way.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying very hard to take my time with this game. I wanna soak it all in with no rush to finish soon. Who knows when we'll get another milestone game like this, let alone even another half life game period

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best things about this game is that it's so unapologetic, it doesn't bombard you with tutorials, it expects you to figure shit out, I love that.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought a Rift S from the Oculus store, and I'm suddenly finding myself having to soak up all the lore in the next few days. Haven't played a HL game for years and remember next to nothing. Will be fun! Also I've never tried VR!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I just got grenades.

With the abundance of nades they give you in the first few rooms, I was frugal and had plenty left over. I filled both my pockets and tossed the rest with me down the hall to the next combat encounter with the combine and wrecked shop. Tossing these things around is so much damn fun.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best things about this game is that it's so unapologetic, it doesn't bombard you with tutorials, it expects you to figure shit out, I love that.

did you see the dev video they put out a while back? Really awesome insight into the design process:

Mind blowing part: They DID give you a tutorial. They consider that entire opening chapter a very long, very well designed tutorial that they put together with tons and tons of player testing.

It's not that they didn't give you a tutorial, its that their tutorial is so well designed that people don't even notice it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a Rift S from the Oculus store, and I'm suddenly finding myself having to soak up all the lore in the next few days. Haven't played a HL game for years and remember next to nothing. Will be fun! Also I've never tried VR!

You should try and make a quick play-through of at least the Half Life 2 episodes.

If this is your first taste of VR I can't imagine how mind blowing this will be, please post impressions. I haven't seen too many people whose first taste of VR is Half Life Alyx. As someone who's been deep into VR since 2013 already, and thus has seen the progression to this point, Alyx is still blowing my mind, so I'm actually envious of someone who gets to jump into the deep end right from the get go. When I first got my DK1, the novelty of being in VR alone, with no positional tracking and no hand tracking, was so strong alone that it mesmorized. You're going to get both your astonishment at what VR is, PLUS the astonishment of seeing a game this well put together in VR, all at once.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You should try and make a quick play-through of at least the Half Life 2 episodes.

If this is your first taste of VR I can't imagine how mind blowing this will be, please post impressions. I haven't seen too many people whose first taste of VR is Half Life Alyx. As someone who's been deep into VR since 2013 already, and thus has seen the progression to this point, Alyx is still blowing my mind, so I'm actually envious of someone who gets to jump into the deep end right from the get go. When I first got my DK1, the novelty of being in VR alone, with no positional tracking and no hand tracking, was so strong alone that it mesmorized. You're going to get both your astonishment at what VR is, PLUS the astonishment of seeing a game this well put together in VR, all at once.

I can't imagine how mind blowning Alyx must be for a first time experience. I've been deep into VR and it's still making me go "Woah", and I'm not even that far into the game.

It really takes all the ideas and concepts that previous VR games have had and combines them together into one incredible package.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did you see the dev video they put out a while back? Really awesome insight into the design process:

Mind blowing part: They DID give you a tutorial. They consider that entire opening chapter a very long, very well designed tutorial that they put together with tons and tons of player testing.

It's not that they didn't give you a tutorial, its that their tutorial is so well designed that people don't even notice it.

I haven't watched it, but I get what they're saying, I never felt I can't do something because the game didn't tell me about it, it's just it doesn't give you directions or objective markers to stuff, you go and explore and you'll know what you need to do when you see it, I just love that approach, even in normal games, Dark Souls comes to mind in that regard.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Im using Vive wands with continuous movement selected in the settings menu.

The left d-pad does continuous movement and down on the right d-pad allows you to blink/jump. Combining the 2 works really well.

I'm generally using the blink/jump to move between cover and get away from advancing enemies.
Holy crap do I feel like an idiot. Yeah that makes things way better. I literally had to switch in the options a couple times cause I had a tough time maneuvering through certain parts.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine how mind blowning Alyx must be for a first time experience. I've been deep into VR and it's still making me go "Woah", and I'm not even that far into the game.

It really takes all the ideas and concepts that previous VR games have had and combines them together into one incredible package.

My dad played through most of the day with me yesterday -- he has his own headset and has been right by my side in this whole VR thing since 2013. He's 70 and doesn't really play video games. He used to back in the Sega Master System days, but modern video game controls are too much for him. 12 buttons and 2 thumbsticks and a dpad and all that. He honestly has no idea how to hold a modern game controller, let alone use one.

So VR is a big deal for him because the abstraction barrier is so low that he can get it instantly. It's really just two buttons and a trigger at the easiest teleportation settings. You don't have to teach him how to aim in VR, he already knows how to do it from IRL experience. He played Doom VFR, but that's a much different beast from a modern narrative driven game, the sort that dominate the market.

So Half Life Alyx is basically his introduction to modern gaming after being away for like 30 years, and he keeps telling me outloud that he "never thought something like this could exist." He says he doesn't feel like he's played a game, it's more like he lived through something incredible, like an actual experience he has memories of.

Half Life Alyx is so damn cool, it makes me so excited about where VR games are going. I want more games of this quality, perhaps in wildly different settings. VR feels like you get to live an action movie.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So Half Life Alyx is basically his introduction to modern gaming after being away for like 30 years, and he keeps telling me outloud that he "never thought something like this could exist." He says he doesn't feel like he's played a game, it's more like he lived through something incredible, like an actual experience he has memories of.
This is really touching. And also super exciting, when you imagine what us modern players might experience in another 30 years. It will probably be like magic.

If we continue playing during that time, then the jumps may feel more incremental than what your dad describes, but if the reaction to Alyx is anything to go by, we should still be in for some treats.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017

Oh man, this is making me really, really excited! Nice to hear Alyx is still blowing your mind after all this this time in VR. Hope i won't be too much for me haha. It will arrive around april 2. Will definitely post impressions around then!
Was thinking of starting with black mesa actually, then working my way up as I got a little bit of time on my hands.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I love about HL:A is how much of a throw back it is to classic game design. Entirely single player campaign, no online elements, no regenerating health. It's cutting edge and endearingly classic at the same time.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I love about HL:A is how much of a throw back it is to classic game design. Entirely single player campaign, no online elements, no regenerating health. It's cutting edge and endearingly classic at the same time.

Don't have the game but watched all the plathroughs and have been reading the thread. I'm enthralled by how absolutely in love you are with this game. It's infectious haha

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Holy shit I just got grenades.

With the abundance of nades they give you in the first few rooms, I was frugal and had plenty left over. I filled both my pockets and tossed the rest with me down the hall to the next combat encounter with the combine and wrecked shop. Tossing these things around is so much damn fun.

Could have just taken the whole crate of them with you :D

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have the game but watched all the plathroughs and have been reading the thread. I'm enthralled by how absolutely in love you are with this game. It's infectious haha

It's very easily one of the best games I've ever played, it's a watershed moment for gaming and I've been following video games very closely for over 30 years now. It feels like one of those moments you know people are going to look back and remember. I haven't felt this feeling like it's a new frontier in gaming in a very long time. It's a tantalizing peak into the future of games, something I've been talking endlessly about for the last 7 years. Like, it's finally here.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you stay close to them they'll just waddle away from you. Just keep your gun pointed at their stomach while they waddle around, and eventually they'll try and raise up on you, and you pretty much get a free kill on them.

you can also flip them over with objects in the game. Grab something and throw it at them the right way and they can flip over exposing their weak spot.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It would be so satisfying to kick them though.

Do aggree. Or at least let us pick em up and toss em out a window.

you can also flip them over with objects in the game. Grab something and throw it at them the right way and they can flip over exposing their weak spot.

Didn't even think of doing that. I just like staying close to them so they try and waddle away to try and get distance on me.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Just a heads up for Oculus users with performance issues, found some redditors that claim updating to the Oculus public test channel might significantly help. Not sure what headset these people were using, but my guess is Quest + Link considering I have a CV1 and it works fine plus some complaints Quest users seem to be having. If it doesn't work/causes other issues, just opt back out and restart computer/OVRserver process and it should revert. Check your updates to see if it's downloading for both opt in/out.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, I needed to reach over the doors to take out the metal bar locking it from the other side.

I leaned in the door to peak around and see what was ahead and realized I was in a video game. There was nothing IRL to support me and I fell to the ground.

This shit is insane.

Also, the sound design... do we have a candidate for best sound design if all time?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Melee combat just isn't a thing right? I'm like 9 hours in. I really wish I had a crowbar.
You can technically kill headcrabs with bricks and other heavy things but it's pretty difficult to tell when you're damaging them and really doesn't feel right.

Sorry if it's been answered already, but does anybody know if there's a away to maximize the social screen? I'd like to make it easier for my wife to watch.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
You can technically kill headcrabs with bricks and other heavy things but it's pretty difficult to tell when you're damaging them and really doesn't feel right.

Sorry if it's been answered already, but does anybody know if there's a away to maximize the social screen? I'd like to make it easier for my wife to watch.
Alt-enter doesn't work?

Also did you check the spectator settings in the game?

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, chapter 5 :|

Look, y'all, if you're having ... issues with the black headcrab spiders -- just get over it. Do everything you can to get over it.

edit: also, *everyone* should be getting the laser sight for the pistol. Save up for it, it is TOTALLY worth it if you have issues aiming. You can actually aim from the hip with it easily.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so, I'm putting ammo away over my shoulder but when I go to pull it out to reload I'm told I have no ammo, is this some bug or am I not accessing it correctly?

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so, I'm putting ammo away over my shoulder but when I go to pull it out to reload I'm told I have no ammo, is this some bug or am I not accessing it correctly?

when you go to switch your weapons, it should show a visual display of exactly how much ammo you have for your weapon. Verify that you actually have ammo. If you do, the hot spot for where your ammo is is near your left ear.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
when you go to switch your weapons, it should show a visual display of exactly how much ammo you have for your weapon. Verify that you actually have ammo. If you do, the hot spot for where your ammo is is near your left ear.
yeah its saying zero and I've tried reloading the game, so I'm restarting and verifying files.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah its saying zero and I've tried reloading the game, so I'm restarting and verifying files.

so there's a possibility that you might have been accidentally dropping your ammo when you went to store it? If you are doing it correctly, you should hear a relatively distinctive sound when you let go of the ammo that sounds like a bag rustling or something. Do what you normally do and then check the floor to see if you accidentally have discarded the ammo. If that is what is happening and you are placing it in the right spot then it could be an occlusion issue or something — consider running through the steamvr room scale setup tool again to make sure everything is correct.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Are you hearing the confirmation "chirp" when you're storing the ammo? Also, are you using a Quest or WMR headset? Someone earlier here with a Quest/Link was having shotgun shells not completely go into their inventory when he stored them.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yeah I'm hearing the noise and I've checked the floor to be sure I wasn't just dropping and still nothing, but file verification said I was missing 11 files so hopefully that fixed the issue.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well verifying the files seems to have fixed the issue, crisis averted!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They likely have custom logic for handling the backpack for inside-out tracking HMD's (outside of tracking scope) and maybe there's a bug in regards to having it work for two shells?
Have never had it fail on the Rift-S which also uses inside-out tracking so I dunno.