• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I got to see the full game without getting spoiled but also a bit sad that I couldn't experience it myself. What an amazing game.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I praised their hand-physics earlier in the thread and how it rarely ever clips through anything and how it interacts. But I also got to give kudos to how they deal with the camera when it clips through walls or any object (can't take control of camera after all). The image fades out into orange with only the proper game world view-able (unless you are fully submerged) and sound gets muffled as if you are deep under water. Best take I've seen on this yet (I don't actually think I've seen world clipping/glitching so far later in the game as they seem to have set those bounds quite well). World feels more solid as a result.

Sep 21, 2019
This is incredible. They really nailed this game. When I first put on an Oculus DK1 6 years ago I dreamed of the day when VR would be implemented in a AAA game by incredible developers.

That day had finally arrived.

This shit is mind-blowing. And that's coming from someone who has played VR for 6 years through multiple generations of headsets.

This is the real deal. Valve have produced an amazing piece of kit and an incredible game to go with it. I'm in awe.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
In Chapter 3 now. And again, after an hour of play, I took my headset off and was just like
giphy.gif

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Krejlooc
Is there any way to force SteamVR games to run at half refresh rate without motion smoothing? I've been playing with my Index set to 80hz and when it drops to 40fps during some of the more intense fights it's really rough. I'd rather just run at a stable 60fps reprojected to 120hz than deal with the constant drops. I tried running it at 60fps w/ motion smoothing but the artifacts are too distracting so I'd like to disable that

edit:
Oh hey update just came out
It added smooth turning
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Half-Life: Alyx :: Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released

Half-Life: Alyx has been updated to version 1.1, adding the "Continuous Turn" option and a number of fixes.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't express how blown I am away from this game. The combat is like something out of an 80s action film. Big bad charges up his chain gun and fires, I hide behind 12 inches of cover, while bottles and boxes are blown to bits, he pauses to recharge, I swing around 180 degrees and land a perfect headshot and watch him drop like a sack of potatoes. Feels absolutely amazing in VR. A shot I could pull off a hundred times and not even think about it in pancake gaming, but puts a huge friggin smile on my face in VR.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter 5 now and dang, turns out the first four chapters were just the tutorial.

Just got past the poison headcrab sequence of that chapter and just, holy shit.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I just tried to
stop the train by pulling the lever (and failed).
How far into the game am I?

Please tell me I'm only 50% through!!

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I'm experiencing a reliable crash just after getting the grenades. I'm not sure if it has to do with me picking up the grenade basket, and bringing it along with me. Like if that's causing a physics nightmare? It's happened four times in a row now.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, that story actually calmed my nerves during that part.

Yep I was into it the entire way and loved the way he described how it was made with all the various ingredients and how over the top it sounded on paper. There are plenty of post-apocalyptic references in this game that resonate strongly with me in ways it wouldn't have a few weeks ago.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
1.1 version released? Paging Polyh3dron.

store.steampowered.com

Half-Life: Alyx - Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released - Steam News

Half-Life: Alyx has been updated to version 1.1, adding the "Continuous Turn" option and a number of fixes.

Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released
Changes:

Improved turning options in Preferences:
- Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
- Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
- Added option to disable controller turning.
Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
Fixed several crashes.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I see an update just popped on the game. Does it enable smooth turning? Just doing some study right now and resisting booting the game up!

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this game would set new standards and a high bar for VR, but I could not have imagined the depths it would reach. Even now, my body is undergoing a physical transformation. I am developing a finely toned ass from all the clenching in the dimly lit sections.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Pleased they've patched in smooth turning for those that want it. I, personally, can't stand it. I think I broke myself from too many awful sickness inducing home demos around the DK1 launch. Give me teleporting/snap turning comfort options or give me death (from being sick)!

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm kinda hating having the standard Vive controllers now. I can just imagine how much better it is with the grip controllers. Not a fan of the slide pads substituting the analog sticks.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Smooth turning is in for people. I can't stand it (I've gotten used to smooth movement but smooth turning is instant vomit city) but happy all those who needed/wanted it have it. Shame it wasn't there from the start (or was broken).

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Btw... Is it normal that I'm getting a warning everytime I start the game telling my I have low graphic memory available and that I should close other applications? I tried with pretty much everything turned off on my PC and I'm running the game on a i5-8400, 32gb of ram and a GTX 1080 8gb...

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm loving the combat but I'm still somewhat tempted to turn it down to easy, just because I'm always slightly annoyed by how bullet spongey the enemies can be.

If there was a way to raise my damage but keep the enemy damage where it is, I'd put it on that setting.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Btw... Is it normal that I'm getting a warning everytime I start the game telling my I have low graphic memory available and that I should close other applications? I tried with pretty much everything turned off on my PC and I'm running the game on a i5-8400, 32gb of ram and a GTX 1080 8gb...

I have a 2080 Ti and got that message the second time I launched the game. I wouldn't worry about it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2080 Ti and got that message the second time I launched the game. I wouldn't worry about it.
Haha ok thanks... Yeah the game is still totally playable (it defaulted to the second highest setting) and I'm using a Quest + Link so not too worried. Just thought it was weird.

I did get some massive performance issues near the end of my play session tonight... Not sure if it's the patch or maybe the level I am at... Dunno... Anyway... Really enjoying the game but enough VR for tonight

_Oni

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm trying to change the resolution in steamvr settings but it no matter what res I put, the image quality is the same in game. Is there any other setting I'm missing? Using the Index at 144hz

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
So, I'm trying to change the resolution in steamvr settings but it no matter what res I put, the image quality is the same in game. Is there any other setting I'm missing? Using the Index at 144hz
I think I saw somewhere else that the game ignores the steam resolution slider but also that there's one in the game options somewhere? I could misremembering...

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
As a side note... I'm surprised that the game doesn't have trading card considering it's an actual Valve game? Not a big deal by any mean obviously... Just found it a bit odd

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I'm really really enjoying what ive played so far. Fairly sure I'm nearing the end of chapter 3 now. But I'm getting that feeling I sometimes get with massively anticipated games where I worry about it being over too quickly, and that anxiety hampers my enjoyment. It's ridiculous I know, and totally non-rational.

Does anyone else get this sometimes, and how do you deal with it?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really really enjoying what ive played so far. Fairly sure I'm nearing the end of chapter 3 now. But I'm getting that feeling I sometimes get with massively anticipated games where I worry about it being over too quickly, and that anxiety hampers my enjoyment. It's ridiculous I know, and totally non-rational.

Does anyone else get this sometimes, and how do you deal with it?
I've never heard anyone express this, but I totally get it too. With Alyx, I'm finding that I only really have it while I'm not playing the game though. I'm so "in it" in the moment that I forget about it.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't play this game if I'm a few hours away from going to sleep because I feel I'll be having nightmares of meeting head crabs in the dark. Seriously those things are terrifying in VR.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I've never heard anyone express this, but I totally get it too. With Alyx, I'm finding that I only really have it while I'm not playing the game though. I'm so "in it" in the moment that I forget about it.
Thanks for the reply. The feeling I get is that I'm not taking full advantage of the moment, that I'm not soaking the game in the right way somehow. It's difficult to explain. On a rational level I can conceive of how silly this is, but on an emotional level it eats at me.

It's something to do with my expectations, because if they're not overburdened, I can just enjoy the game guilt free. Playing black mesa in the lead up this was like that, just oure unadulterated fun haha

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
1.1 version released? Paging Polyh3dron.

store.steampowered.com

Half-Life: Alyx - Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released - Steam News

Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released
Changes:

Improved turning options in Preferences:
- Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
- Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
- Added option to disable controller turning.
Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
Fixed several crashes.

Oh shit did this just release? I was just about to hop on and play a bit more.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just played for the first time. Holy shit. I can't believe that this even exists. A full-on big budget Hal-Life game for VR.

God, I love just screwing around with the physics props.

Dream game. Hope it holds up until the end.

I switched to continuous movement after a bit. Took a little getting used to but I prefer it.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I have i5-9600
32 ram
And a 2070 super

I should be able to run on high I believe.
I'm running on Ultra with my 2070 super, steady 90fps on my OG Vive...

I don't know if it's bug or an intentional feature but I think the fall damage is completely bugged, or shall I say there is none which kinda made me miss out on one room:

The first room you get into that has that one crane at the bottom of the room and a room on the left that has the controls hanging in the middle through the window, when you aim to jump down Alyx says that she'll die if she does that (which actually happens if you try to teleport), I was in the process of figuring out how to get into the room when I just walked a little bit too far to the side and I just landed on the floor, never got to go into that room lol.

and

I just finished this chapter and I got to say, this shit blew my mind, especially the elevator scene having to inch forward to the button with Jeff right there, this shit is the future of gaming I swear to God, in a flat screen game I would've just pressed the button,, here it was bracing myself lol Really great chapter, can't wait what's in store next, it just keeps getting better

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When MGS3 came out, it made me into a fan of Big Boss because the adventure he went on was frankly unbelievable. The game did a good job of making him seem like a legend.

I'm feeling the same way about Half Life Alyx regarding Alyx Vance. She's a major badass considering she goes through all this shit without flinching.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished, I'm off to the spoiler thread with my thoughts on the ending and all, but in short: really fucking good, you need to play this. This is the Half-Life game I've waited 13 years for.