• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
anyone playing on a rx 580 can comment on performance? My pc fits exactly the minimum requirements (ryzen 1600, 16 GB, rx 580) and I'm planning to play the game on the rift s. I should probably be able to overclock both the cpu and gpu, if baseline performance is decent enough to warrant the effort

I'm playing on a 6600K CPU and a RX 580. So far it plays fine on medium settings using an Oculus Quest. I'm currently on the third chapter.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's an ETA yet, though from the sound of the announcement it was supposed to be soon. If you want to try out the new Hammer I know there's a (probably less advanced) version with Dota 2. It's a lot nicer than the original Hammer.
Oh, it's not out? That's a bummer, says on the store page still that it launches with the game. Hope it's out soon, along with workshop support. Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

Just finished chapter 5 and the game has gone up a notch. Absolutely incredible.

To be honest I was a bit 'meh' with the continuous movement at the start. It felt very slow and I struggled with the first few encounters as I didn't feel mobile enough. However I have now got used to combining the continuous movement with the blink and gun fights now feel amazing.

Had to be strong and stop myself playing for the evening. I cant wait to jump back in tomorrow though.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
BTW thanks for the guy who posted FPSVR for performance monitoring. Totally worth the 3€ it costs. Very cool to monitor performance in-game. You can "wear" the performance information as a wristwatch. So it only shows up when you turn your arm. How cool is that?! :-D

I was now able to stick my problems to random CPU and GPU spikes that cause the stuttering. The game runs almost flawlessly on 72FPS (using the Quest, so only 72hz) even with 150% Supersampling through Steam @high settings. The stutters occur randomly, even when there is basically nothing going on on-screen and only when I move or change my weapon. As far as I can tell they don't appear when I stand still and just look around.
It wasn't me, but I've been telling people to buy it. It is such a great tool in general.
Btw, I also get random stutters, I suspect they are because the cpu is loading data.

GodlyTwins

Oct 30, 2017
I need to know before I purchase: I have a Rift S and a desktop upstairs in my living room with a 980ti/6700k, 8gb ram. Can I run this fine? The desktop in my room has a 2080/8700k with 16gb ram but I have no fking space at all to move around.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
BTW thanks for the guy who posted FPSVR for performance monitoring. Totally worth the 3€ it costs. Very cool to monitor performance in-game. You can "wear" the performance information as a wristwatch. So it only shows up when you turn your arm. How cool is that?! :-D

I was now able to stick my problems to random CPU and GPU spikes that cause the stuttering. The game runs almost flawlessly on 72FPS (using the Quest, so only 72hz) even with 150% Supersampling through Steam @high settings. The stutters occur randomly, even when there is basically nothing going on on-screen and only when I move or change my weapon. As far as I can tell they don't appear when I stand still and just look around.

I was experiencing something very similar to that while playing form a mechanical drive. It helped a lot to reduce it by moving the game to an SSD.

6600K (OC to 4.2Ghz), RX 580, 16GB RAM, Oculus Quest.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone playing with vive controllers? How is it?

It's totally fine. Mind you I've only played an hour so I can't comment on any weapons other than the pistol and any puzzle / environmental interaction that is still to come, but so far I don't feel like I'm missing out. Everythings works as intended and is intuitive. Using the Index Controllers would certainly be even more immersive, but IMO Valve has done a fantastic job making this playable on the good old Vive wands.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Protip: just let them kill you a few times. Get used to what it is like to die in the game from them, and it will help to diffuse the impact a bit of how scary they are in the moment. Remember, at the end of the day it is just a game and you can close your eyes or take a break when you need to.

Thanks for the kind words. I did it! Took a couple more attempts to power through but I have got more used to them now (that initial situation is definitely designed to freak you out a bit). Now on to Chapter 4!

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I need to know before I purchase: I have a Rift S and a desktop upstairs in my living room with a 980ti/6700k, 8gb ram. Can I run this fine? The desktop in my room has a 2080/8700k with 16gb ram but I have no fking space at all to move around.

I'm using that setup but with 16 gigs of ram. Runs great for me on my Rift CV1, but the right gpu/cpu with below minimum spec ram could make all the difference in the world.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a 1070, which is very similar to a 980ti and runs the game fine on Ultra. I have an 8700k, though. But, I don't think this game is CPU heavy at all, you should be perfectly fine.

edit: oh, 8 gigs of ram? That I don't know. You can grab another 8gb stick for like $25

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Anyone else noticed how if you pick up two shotgun shells and try to store them in your backpack the second one always falls to the floor? Do you pluck the second from one hand with the other before storing?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else noticed how if you pick up two shotgun shells and try to store them in your backpack the second one always falls to the floor? Do you pluck the second from one hand with the other before storing?
I have not noticed that? I've noticed if I pick up two they tend to come together in the air and store a the same time. This is on Vive with Vive Wands.
Guess I'll double check the next time I pick up shotgun ammo to see if it is actually storing both shells.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably not with that 8gb ram. I just drag my good PC into the living room when I'm playing. It takes like 5 minutes to set up

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. I did it! Took a couple more attempts to power through but I have got more used to them now (that initial situation is definitely designed to freak you out a bit). Now on to Chapter 4!
I totally understand your fear as an arachnophobe. Something about those hairy legs and the dark color on the poison headcrabs just tickles that phobia for me also.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I need a bigger play area badly. My Index controllers already have a few battle scars. Wouldnt bother me if these things werent so damn expensive.

GodlyTwins

Oct 30, 2017
I'm using that setup but with 16 gigs of ram. Runs great for me on my Rift CV1, but the right gpu/cpu with below minimum spec ram could make all the difference in the world.
I have a 1070, which is very similar to a 980ti and runs the game fine on Ultra. I have an 8700k, though. But, I don't think this game is CPU heavy at all, you should be perfectly fine.

edit: oh, 8 gigs of ram? That I don't know. You can grab another 8gb stick for like $25

Thanks! I think it's just best for me to move my 2080 upstairs this weekend lol. Can't wait!!

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
How do you do this? In the options it appears it's one or the other. Are you switching control schemes on the fly some how?

Im using Vive wands with continuous movement selected in the settings menu.

The left d-pad does continuous movement and down on the right d-pad allows you to blink/jump. Combining the 2 works really well.

I'm generally using the blink/jump to move between cover and get away from advancing enemies.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Can Era start following with all the threads asking for a non VR version as port begging?
That's an interesting question for the mods. I'd like to see their views on it if they read this thread.

If a user begs for a game to be ported to a system of their choice, they get warned or temp banned right? Isn't people begging for a non-vr version of a game the exact same thing?

Deleted member 64804

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
I'm new to the site - I haven't read through the thread yet but holy shit is this game good, like I've never played anything like it. Doesn't feel like a video game feels like you're in half life the movie or something. Like it's a totally new step in gaming that I didn't think we were even capable of yet. Anyone else feel like that?

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
I have not noticed that? I've noticed if I pick up two they tend to come together in the air and store a the same time. This is on Vive with Vive Wands.
Guess I'll double check the next time I pick up shotgun ammo to see if it is actually storing both shells.
Just tested it out with a pair of conveniently-placed twin shells. Was able to grab them both, they stored properly, and I accounted for each shell before and after. Not sure what to tell you, seems to be working here.
What headset are you playing with? If it is one with inside-out tracking, maybe it's losing your hands prematurely during the over-the-shoulder motion and letting go or mis-tracking one of the shells?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I was experiencing something very similar to that while playing form a mechanical drive. It helped a lot to reduce it by moving the game to an SSD.

6600K (OC to 4.2Ghz), RX 580, 16GB RAM, Oculus Quest.
Thanks for the reply, but I am already running the game from a M2 SSD.
I set up Process Explorer on my PC and will trace some more data tomorrow to find out what causes the random CPU/GPU spikes.
It wasn't me, but I've been telling people to buy it. It is such a great tool in general.
Btw, I also get random stutters, I suspect they are because the cpu is loading data.
Yeah FPSVR is great. I am really happy how simple and effective it is to use. This should be a standard feature for SteamVR.

As for the loading: Maybe it's just that simple, yes. My brother gets some stutters here and there, too. He uses an RTX 2060 S. But lots of people don't seem to have any stutters at all. Google "RTX + Stutter" and you find a lot of people with similar problems and there isn't a simple solution. I will investigate further. Gladly it isn't gamebreaking and rare enough for me so I can still enjoy Alyx. Can't wait to continue tomorrow but I am also a little bit afraid of Chapter 8 :-D
I'm new to the site - I haven't read through the thread yet but holy shit is this game good, like I've never played anything like it. Doesn't feel like a video game feels like you're in half life the movie or something. Like it's a totally new step in gaming that I didn't think we were even capable of yet. Anyone else feel like that?
Yes, it's surreal at times. It doesn't feel like a regular videogame or even other VR games. It's just that more advanced than anything else at the moment. Everything comes together perfectly.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

I'm going through the 3rd chapter now and this is looking like a game of the year candidate already for me. Incredible atmosphere and gameplay. The gravity gloves and how you interact with everything never gets old and it feels second nature to bring things over to you. I would recommend everyone to try this game, I'm pretty sure most would agree that Half Life 3 must also be a VR game after playing this.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Chapter 7 was one of the most amazing sequences I've ever played and it wouldn't have worked nearly as much outside of VR. Amazing the next chapter was just as stunning, I love the environments so much. On chapter 9 now and the beginning was already exciting but I am stopping for today. Got a good 5 hours in.

GOTY for me. I was sure Cyberpunk would be it and maybe it will but damn right now I can't even imagine an experience better than what Valve's given us.

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A great VR experience so far but the only thing I really, really dislike is the weapon reload mechanic.

I reach around the back of my shoulder to grab ammo and 50% of the time I grab thin air...I dont know if I am doing it all wrong but this shit is just infuriating and getting me killed over and over when I need to reload in firefights.

On vive with original wand controllers

Are any other Vive users with the original wand controllers having similar issues to me with grabbing ammo ? I have taken on board all suggestions to my orig post above, but it still seems very hit and miss if I can actually grab ammo when I desperately need it.

It's really killing the experience for me.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

I have nearly the exact same setup. A 1070 though. Runs fine with 8 GB RAM. Only issue is just after loading a new level, there are minor stutters that clear up in a couple seconds.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it today! 10 hours for me. That was an AMAZING experience. Chapters 7 and 11 were the highlights for me. Great game, great uses of mechanics you could only pull off with VR. I also loved the story and ending.

I love Jeff!!

PS - save your resin for the laser sight upgrades on all of the guns. Also the autoloader on the shotgun. Those are the upgrades I consider essential.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I'm loving the game so far but I'm getting some stuttering every few seconds when I use continuous movement. Anyone else have this issue?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Tried out the continuous movement and it feels good. Stomach drops going up stairs too fast, so I just shift move up and down those.

I'm just surprised continuous was so comfy for me. I move my legs though when Alyx walks forward. The miming helps keep things comfy.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Played through chapters 4-6 today. I died a handful of times on chapter 6. Was glad to be done with that and move on haha. Was intense hearing those heavy gunner combine soldiers creep their way up the steps to me while I was low on ammo.

Someone mentioned that A.I. does not flank in this game. Well, I totally died because a combine soldier just ran behind me and lit me up lol.

I'm really liking the game, but it keeps freezing with my Odyssey+. I also get dizzy pretty quick.

I'm using an Odyssey Plus as well. What PC hardware ya got? Might need to turn the in game quality down a notch.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it today! 10 hours for me. That was an AMAZING experience. Chapters 7 and 11 were the highlights for me. Great game, great uses of mechanics you could only pull off with VR. I also loved the story and ending.

I love Jeff!!

PS - save your resin for the laser sight upgrades on all of the guns. Also the autoloader on the shotgun. Those are the upgrades I consider essential.
Reserve ammo reservoir on the pistol is also a REALLY good QOL improvement.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The term people use for VR products that elicit the feeling you're describing is an "experience." It really does feel like something different than video games, movies, plays, etc. Like, the core gameplay loop of most video games is to shuffle you from combat encounter to combat encounter. But HL:A isn't really like that. The vast majority of the game is spent creeping through settings, taking in the world, just being there and living through the set pieces.

It's funny because on my first time through a new area, I'll go extremely slowly, taking everything in. But if I die and have to redo the section, I'll speed through. If I wasn't absorbing everything in the world around me, the game would be much shorter. But, unlike most games where I feel no obligation at all to, like, stare at a wall or texture, that feels like the entire purpose of HL:A. Like, the main draw for me is to just gaze at these environments.

"Experience" really is the best term. It feels like you lived through an event.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
*slowly open door*
*headcrab hisses at me*
*roll grenade into room*
*pull door shut*
BANG

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I approached a game with such high expectations and had it meet them all. I've been hyped through the roof for games before, but I expected HL:A to be more than just a good game. I went in expecting something that will be studied going forward for decades to come and it's delivered.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Tried out the continuous movement and it feels good. Stomach drops going up stairs too fast, so I just shift move up and down those.

I'm just surprised continuous was so comfy for me. I move my legs though when Alyx walks forward. The miming helps keep things comfy.

How do you shift move when using the continuous movement option? I've tried pressing everything on my Oculus Touch controllers and it doesn't seem to work.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to set up the Oculus Quest. Dear god, I forgot how insufferable this thing is at times. Updating the firmware seems to involve some weird feng shui voodoo, and now it's making me go through the UNSKIPPABLE first-run setup process. It's been half an hour.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Just tested it out with a pair of conveniently-placed twin shells. Was able to grab them both, they stored properly, and I accounted for each shell before and after. Not sure what to tell you, seems to be working here.
What headset are you playing with? If it is one with inside-out tracking, maybe it's losing your hands prematurely during the over-the-shoulder motion and letting go or mis-tracking one of the shells?
Quest w/Link. Seems totally consistent on my end that always the second shotgun shell falls behind me and I have to pick it up after.
i7 6700K, 980Ti, 16GB RAM, SSD.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I approached a game with such high expectations and had it meet them all. I've been hyped through the roof for games before, but I expected HL:A to be more than just a good game. I went in expecting something that will be studied going forward for decades to come and it's delivered.

It's by far the most comfortable VR game I've played so far. I haven't had 1 headache or dizzy spell. I'm taking advantage of all the options they gave. It's also the most polished VR game I've played to date. Devs should take note.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Just reached chapter 8 and will be calling it a night.
Chapter 7 was a lot of fun. Good thing I played Amnesia for the first time recently... HL:A in comparison has very clear gameplay rules so it's not nearly as intense but that in return makes it a good deal more fun. First-time VR players will probably soil their pants. It can get quiiite tight sometimes...

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Quest w/Link. Seems totally consistent on my end that always the second shotgun shell falls behind me and I have to pick it up after.
i7 6700K, 980Ti, 16GB RAM, SSD.
I wonder if any other Quest with Link or WMR users have had the same issue? The inside-out tracking without the Rift's top camera is the only reason I could think of as to why this would be happening.
With the Vive, I have never had an over the shoulder backpack interaction fail once in this game. Which is pretty amazing, considering it still happens once in a while in other games with the same mechanic.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any other Quest with Link or WMR users have had the same issue? The inside-out tracking without the Rift's top camera is the only reason I could think of as to why this would be happening.
They likely have custom logic for handling the backpack for inside-out tracking HMD's (outside of tracking scope) and maybe there's a bug in regards to having it work for two shells?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just playing on normal, the difficulty for the first 1.5 hours is pretty gentile - like VR experience gentle, but it really does pick up. I'm thoroughly in regular game difficulty zone right now.

In fact, I'm thinking hard would have been a real struggle, depending on how much they twist the difficulty.

Side note, I don't know if anyone noticed, but those supply stations you have to hack into definitely have dynamic loot. One time I hacked this one station, only had a health syringe. The next time I didn't bother because I had full health. Fought some baddies. Came back - it had a health AND a grenade! Max Payne-ish I assume.

Spaaaaaaaaace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Played through chapters 4-6 today. I died a handful of times on chapter 6. Was glad to be done with that and move on haha. Was intense hearing those heavy gunner combine soldiers creep their way up the steps to me while I was low on ammo.

Someone mentioned that A.I. does not flank in this game. Well, I totally died because a combine soldier just ran behind me and lit me up lol.

I'm using an Odyssey Plus as well. What PC hardware ya got? Might need to turn the in game quality down a notch.

I have i5-9600
32 ram
And a 2070 super

I should be able to run on high I believe.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Also I wasn't sure it was going to be this way, but...

Man, the grenade launcher upgrade for the shotgun is awesome in some areas, and I highly recommend the laser sight for the combine assault rifle. For the pistol I really like the extra ammo reserve (I really love the way that functions too - being able to load up two magazines is cool).

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah. This a completely next level videogame experience, nothing out there can compare. I just lose myself into it like I'm in the matrix, but it's fucking City 17. My wife had to learn to aproach me with Steam VR's knock knock thingie, after giving me a couple of huge jumps scares by talking to me or touching me while I was playing.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
I think I played the game too long. I'm trying to gravity glove stuff to myself IRL. Damn muscle memory.