• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the flashlight part...have loved every second up to now but I am a huge arachnophobe....I have zero idea if I am going to be able to go any further.

Headcrabs I can cope with but these fuckers are something else entirely.

This kinda sucks, I just want to play.

Protip: just let them kill you a few times. Get used to what it is like to die in the game from them, and it will help to diffuse the impact a bit of how scary they are in the moment. Remember, at the end of the day it is just a game and you can close your eyes or take a break when you need to.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Did you try playing with teleport or continuous movement? If it was continuous and you found it disorienting, try blink teleport. In blink teleport, the game will never move you around independently of where your body actually moves in the room.
I used the scheme where I could walk around freely, and the turning was like quarter turns. I'll try the others.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Going to wait until I get my Rift S on Thursday to start Chapter 4. I'm so in love with every aspect of this and the Quest and Link combo isn't quite the way I want to experience this.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Some reason I can no longer reload my pistol. Its empty, but if I pull a clip out of the backpack it just kind of rams into the pistol lol. Every other weapon is loading normally. No idea what's happening here.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
It is extremely important you know the series before playing, as all the dramatic beats play off knowing that the player has more knowledge than Alyx Vance. And there are some enormous reveals to the overall story of Half Life in this game. Hell, the very, very first thing the game opens with, is acknowledging the cliff hanger ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2.
How deep into the story do I need to know? I mean, I played all the games, but years ago. lol
I think I will read all the story just to make sure I remember all the characters.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously fuck Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 isn't going to be any better, right?

Holy shit, what a game. Need a pause.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before starting Alyx I was coming off of playing Boneworks which was really amazing to me, I could basically move around with the sticks just like a normal FPS, and it actually worked without any snap turning, hand holding, teleportation, or any of that other BS designed to somehow mitigate motion sickness which breaks my immersion and does exactly the opposite to me.

Not only does Alyx not allow me to move around at the speed I could move around in Boneworks, I can't do smooth turning with the right stick.From everything I'm reading and seeing, the entire game seems fine tuned for teleportation and standing in place, basically a diametrically opposed game design philosophy to Boneworks. This really really disappointed me. The moment I found out I couldn't turn off the snap turning, I quit the game and haven't launched it since.

Boneworks IMO is a truly immersive VR experience that doesn't try to hold your hand in any way if you don't want it to. Alyx seems to force that hand-holding on you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure HL is as physics driven as Boneworks - physics play such a huge role in the core design of Boneworks (especially puzzle solving which is very free-form).

That's OK, HL doesn't need it - it's its own thing.

Boneworks, to me, feels like a continuation of what Trespasser started where you can make your own path and solve problems in multiple ways. It's far glitchier as a result but I think it's really engaging in that sense. Of course, HL does have body physics in that objects react to your invisible body and you can get stuck on things but, unlike Boneworks, it doesn't cause the view to move.

In Boneworks, you can pickup and use just about anything as a weapon or tool. Firearms aren't attached to your hands, you physically need to hold them, but when you run dry or drop a weapon, you can grab anything around you to immediately go on the offensive. You can also directly interact with enemies - pushing them, punching them, grabbing them etc. The weight of an object and how you hold it determines the amount of damage done as well. It's the sheer variety of options that makes it so unique.

They straight-up use headcrab like enemies in Boneworks and the difference between the encounters in both games is quite significant. You can directly grab them on your head in BW, pull them apart, use them as a weapon, smash them against the wall, throw them then shoot or smash them etc. There are so many options available at any point. I haven't found ways to deal with headcrabs in HL beyond shooting them, using an object to push them or blowing them up with a canister or some other explosive device. The encounters are still excellent, mind you.

Another example - very early on, when you encounter the first turret in Boneworks, I just grabbed a trashcan lid and used it as a shield. OK, cool. Got behind it and disabled it with the pull handle. I had a key to unlock a door ahead but there were enemies within and I had no real weapon (other than debris). The turret is difficult to carry due to its weight and physics so I used a dolly to wheel the turret up the ramp. I activated it and opened the door to wheel it on in then used it to kill the enemies. There was no need to do this, mind you, but that kind of scenario presents itself often - where you can use things within the world to solve problems. Everything being super physics driven and fiddly, however, can make it frustrating.

I think this is such an interesting topic, though, as they both take a different approach. I love them both equally though I'd recommend Alyx first to people as it's more polished and easier to get into.

You've confused my comment about the presence of such systems with an argument about utility and purpose in the game design. I'm not saying HL:A's core gameplay loop is as based around manipulating physics as boneworks is, rather that there is just as much physicality in HL:A as there is in any other game with complex physics systems. This goes back to my original topic on Boneworks breaking a lot of rules, because people on this forum boiled my argument down to a binary proposition that misrepresented what I was saying i.e. physics have no place at all in gaming, that boneworks did a poor job by merely having physics at all. My problem with boneworks has never been the presence of such physics systems, but rather the minutia of how they handle these interactions specifically in relationship to the head model. HL:A shows that it's not the presence of physics that is a sin, nor is having a gameplay loop heavily centered around physics a sin, it's that tying your head model to the physics system is wrong.

I know you're not a fan of Boneworks

And this is another thing -- I like boneworks ambition and level design and gameplay loop. I'm generally a fan of the game and the dev team. The only thing I don't like about the game is the head model being driven by physics, because it makes people sick. The decision to tie the head model to the physics system is such a weird, arbitrary decision that pushes the game from a must-have recommendation to something I advise people to stay away from. Removing the head model from the physics system wouldn't really affect the game or it's loop in any meaningful way outside of drastically reducing the number of people who get sick, which is why it's worth talking about in detail.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You've confused my comment about the presence of such systems with an argument about utility and purpose in the game design. I'm not saying HL:A's core gameplay loop is as based around manipulating physics as boneworks is, rather that there is just as much physicality in HL:A as there is in any other game with complex physics systems. This goes back to my original topic on Boneworks breaking a lot of rules, because people on this forum boiled my argument down to a binary proposition that misrepresented what I was saying i.e. physics have no place at all in gaming, that boneworks did a poor job by merely having physics at all. My problem with boneworks has never been the presence of such physics systems, but rather the minutia of how they handle these interactions specifically in relationship to the head model. HL:A shows that it's not the presence of physics that is a sin, nor is having a gameplay loop heavily centered around physics a sin, it's that tying your head model to the physics system is wrong.
And this is another thing -- I like boneworks ambition and level design and gameplay loop. I'm generally a fan of the game and the dev team. The only thing I don't like about the game is the head model being driven by physics, because it makes people sick. The decision to tie the head model to the physics system is such a weird, arbitrary decision that pushes the game from a must-have recommendation to something I advise people to stay away from. Removing the head model from the physics system wouldn't really affect the game or it's loop in any meaningful way outside of drastically reducing the number of people who get sick, which is why it's worth talking about in detail.
Ah ha, my mistake! Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you're totally right about these issues and, yeah, I agree!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How deep into the story do I need to know? I mean, I played all the games, but years ago. lol
I think I will read all the story just to make sure I remember all the characters.

Depends on how deep you want to go. It's kinda like the old half life and portal games, you can play straight forward, just taking the dialog and setpiece moments as the story, and you'd really only need to know the major beats of the overall story. But, like in Half Life and Portal, if you stop and start reading all the walls and letting the environment tell the story and listening to tidbits in conversations, you get a much wider view of the larger overall story that ties into the deeper lore.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Was going to finally play, steam gave an error message won't boot up, said to make sure steam vr was properly installed wtf?
did you get a fix? yesterday at work i Installed the game on my laptop with an external HDD and when i went to play it after work VIA virtual desktop, it game me that error to. i uninstalled/reinstalled steamVR and still didn't work. my GF was coming over after that so gave up. im going to try after i get off work to play it finally but need to fix this error..

its odd to because the night before my cousin wanted to play boneworks via virtual desktop and worked fine.. im thinking maybe it was installing on external HDD? but i doubt it:(

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone playing on a rx 580 can comment on performance? My pc fits exactly the minimum requirements (ryzen 1600, 16 GB, rx 580) and I'm planning to play the game on the rift s. I should probably be able to overclock both the cpu and gpu, if baseline performance is decent enough to warrant the effort

Willin

Oct 28, 2017

This is actually really cool. I'm hoping Valve or modders make a classroom environment for long distance teaching.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone playing on a rx 580 can comment on performance? My pc fits exactly the minimum requirements (ryzen 1600, 16 GB, rx 580) and I'm planning to play the game on the rift s. I should probably be able to overclock both the cpu and gpu, if baseline performance is decent enough to warrant the effort

Seeing people playing well below the minimum requirements saying it's just fine. Also, with those minimum requirements, you can run the game pretty much above the low and medium specs even though valve recommends them. The minimum requirements seem like they were very, very safe estimates.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually really cool. I'm hoping Valve or modders make a classroom environment for long distance teaching.

Long long ago, when the HTC Vive first released, Valve released an add-on for unity for VR development called The Lab Renderer. It was a set of tools and shader sources they used for the lab demos, and one of the shaders controls the texture painting they use for the whiteboard. The markers in HL:A are evolutions of the shader they used all the way back in The Lab it seems:

So valve actually released this stuff to independent developers, for free, like 6 years ago.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
did you get a fix? yesterday at work i Installed the game on my laptop with an external HDD and when i went to play it after work VIA virtual desktop, it game me that error to. i uninstalled/reinstalled steamVR and still didn't work. my GF was coming over after that so gave up. im going to try after i get off work to play it finally but need to fix this error..

its odd to because the night before my cousin wanted to play boneworks via virtual desktop and worked fine.. im thinking maybe it was installing on external HDD? but i doubt it:(
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work, even after uninstalling and reinstalling and verifying the files. Got a refund :(

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Have the Boneworks devs ever commented on this peculiarity? Or are they part of the hardcore git gud "git VR legs" crew that say screw those that can't handle it? Seems like not such a hard thing to implement as an option, tons of other games do the fade out to black/wireframe from head occlusion (including Alyx, which does it fine). I've long wanted to get into Boneworks, but a few design choices like those have kept me from taking the plunge.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know if there's a sort of New Game+ with the upgrades? There's no way I'm never replaying this, the game is phenomenal, but I'd love a powered-up playthrough at some point too.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but compare/contrast this with Boneworks.

I've tried Boneworks many times but ultimately the nausea i feel, combined with the oppressive atmosphere and IMO bad pacing make it just a downright miserable experience. It feels like a fever dream and I just can't play it.

HL:Alyx nails pacing and presence while keeping me comfortable and I really respect the decisions Valve made with this one.

Leading up to Boneworks I thought that it was going to be the superior game, but IMO I was completely wrong.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, folks that are diving into VR for the first time with Alyx, what HMD are you using and how have you been liking ii so far? I'm super curious to hear impressions from people who were maybe apprehensive about VR before and have a different opinion now that they have their own HMD.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
I can't help but compare/contrast this with Boneworks.

I've tried Boneworks many times but ultimately the nausea i feel, combined with the oppressive atmosphere and IMO bad pacing make it just a downright miserable experience. It feels like a fever dream and I just can't play it.

HL:Alyx nails pacing and presence while keeping me comfortable and I really respect the decisions Valve made with this one.

Leading up to Boneworks I thought that it was going to be the superior game, but IMO I was completely wrong.

Boneworks feels very basic now in comparison. I really liked a lot about BW. But since Alyx is out, I dont think i could ever go back.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the Boneworks devs ever commented on this peculiarity? Or are they part of the hardcore git gud "git VR legs" crew that say screw those that can't handle it? Seems like not such a hard thing to implement as an option, tons of other games do the fade out to black/wireframe from head occlusion (including Alyx, which does it fine). I've long wanted to get into Boneworks, but a few design choices like those have kept me from taking the plunge.

they commented on the thread to the effect that I just didn't like VR and wanted to stir up trouble or something like that. "Git gud" is their official stance, they misunderstand that being able to tolerate VR sickness isn't a sign of skill, and in many cases, is something outright not possible for certain individuals. VR Sickness should be treated like accessibility options. It would be pretty insulting to insinuate that someone biologically incapable of using your product just isn't "good enough."

last comment about boneworks ITT from me: I really, really wanted boneworks to be a tentpole title for VR that I could recommend to everybody. For a very long time, it was my most anticipated game period. And I still had fun playing it. It's just not something that could be used to drive adoption for VR headsets like a tentpole title should. Because if someone's first impression of VR is getting extremely sick and being told that either you'll just get used to it, or you're not good enough, that really turns people off. The only people who would keep playing something that physically makes them sick to "get good" are those who were sold on the technology before trying it. And that's the wrong pitch for VR.

Last edited:

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else watching the game on YouTube? I'm a huge fan of of the first and second games but I've moved on from PC gaming many years ago and I'm not really interested in VR. I have to say even just watching a playthrough is soo good. I hope Half Life 3 will at least be playable for non VR owners.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
BTW thanks for the guy who posted FPSVR for performance monitoring. Totally worth the 3€ it costs. Very cool to monitor performance in-game. You can "wear" the performance information as a wristwatch. So it only shows up when you turn your arm. How cool is that?! :-D

I was now able to stick my problems to random CPU and GPU spikes that cause the stuttering. The game runs almost flawlessly on 72FPS (using the Quest, so only 72hz) even with 150% Supersampling through Steam @high settings. The stutters occur randomly, even when there is basically nothing going on on-screen and only when I move or change my weapon. As far as I can tell they don't appear when I stand still and just look around.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work, even after uninstalling and reinstalling and verifying the files. Got a refund :(

I was running into the same problem via quest and both link and VD werent working. I eventually got it working by rolling back my NVIDIA drivers (from 445.something was the most recent down to 442.74). I'm not sure if that will help either of you but I thought I'd let you know.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I was running into the same problem via quest and both link and VD werent working. I eventually got it working by rolling back my NVIDIA drivers (from 445.something was the most recent 442.74). I'm not sure if that will help either of you but I thought I'd let you know.
SWEET! ill try that in about an hour. i remember installing the most recent one that was yesterday for half life specifically but you might be right! thanks

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Man that sewer section was so tense, felt like it went on forever. But in a good way of course.

I don't get it: I bought a burst upgrade for the handgun which can be toggled... but they never told me how? Didn't get any prompt and I've been turning the gun and inspecting it to figure out how to switch. I've reverted to a previous save because it's probably better to save for the laser sight. I just can't aim with the reticle + the weak point upgrade. That yellow color blurs the reticle and it takes a while for the reticle to show up or for me to see it.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
they commented on the thread to the effect that I just didn't like VR and wanted to stir up trouble or something like that. "Git gud" is their official stance, they misunderstand that being able to tolerate VR sickness isn't a sign of skill, and in many cases, is something outright not possible for certain individuals. VR Sickness should be treated like accessibility options. It would be pretty insulting to insinuate that someone biologically incapable of using your product just isn't "good enough."

last comment about boneworks ITT from me: I really, really wanted boneworks to be a tentpole title for VR that I could recommend to everybody. For a very long time, it was my most anticipated game period. And I still had fun playing it. It's just not something that could be used to drive adoption for VR headsets like a tentpole title should. Because if someone's first impression of VR is getting extremely sick and being told that either you'll just get used to it, or you're not good enough, that really turns people off. The only people who would keep playing something that physically makes them sick to "get good" are those who were sold on the technology before trying it. And that's the wrong pitch for VR.

I actually ended up refunding Boneworks fairly quick because of all the reasons you state. And I agree I was hoping for so much more from it and to be the big killer VR thing I'd read it could be when I picked it up but your sentiments on it really do resonate with me because it's exactly how I feel about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting this for anyone reading the thread who might be looking into it: I'm playing with a Quest, and I've tried both via Link and via the side loaded wireless virtual desktop method and the experience has been wonderful in both cases. Playing without wires is as good as you'd expect. I can't recommend it highly enough

edit: just reading back a few posts, this isn't meant to contradict those having issues! This was apropos of me wanting to gush about the experience!

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Man that sewer section was so tense, felt like it went on forever. But in a good way of course.

I don't get it: I bought a burst upgrade for the handgun which can be toggled... but they never told me how? Didn't get any prompt and I've been turning the gun and inspecting it to figure out how to switch. I've reverted to a previous save because it's probably better to save for the laser sight. I just can't aim with the reticle + the weak point upgrade. That yellow color blurs the reticle and it takes a while for the reticle to show up or for me to see it.
On Index controllers you double tap the face button that doesn't drop the clip.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They don't tell you until your next encounter for some dumb reason. You have to double click B on the Index controllers to enable it. Not sure what it is on other controllers

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
My custom resolution scaling in Steam VR doesn't work, any ideas on what could be wrong?
Ya it doesn't seem to do anything. There doesn't seem to be anything in the video.txt file that would hint at it either. The defaultres argument seems to be for the desktop view. It is probably choosing the res based off of headset and GPU.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ya it doesn't seem to do anything. There doesn't seem to be anything in the video.txt file that would hint at it either. The defaultres argument seems to be for the desktop view. It is probably choosing the res based off of headset and GPU.
For some reason, the game doesn't change resolution until you restart it. Weird, because every other VR title I have will change on the fly.