• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I wonder if it's possible to make an Alyx Let's Play,, in VR.

Meaning there are VR videos you cam download and watch with a VR viewer like google cardboard and you get a full VR experience.
I wonder if you could do similar with Alyx.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Ok, I'm halfway through then.
Still sad that I'll probably have burnt through this in a couple of days. I can't stop myself from jumping back in tho!
I will 100% be playing this again on the hardest difficulty and spending some more time looking at things in detail. This will be the VR benchmark for years to come.

Oct 27, 2017
Watching gameplay for this makes me think that VR is the spark of life that would make the immersive sim really explode. The possibilities for systems-driven interactions seem limitless
This is absolutely where that genre should go, but I worry so many have disappointed financially that we won't see many more made anytime soon, especially not for a "riskier" medium.

Bioshock is probably the single most obvious AAA VR killer app after Half-Life. Thief too, but I'm not sure it's as well known these days.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I caved and bought the game. No buyer's remorse.

Running a 980ti/6700K with Medium settings (installed to my SSD) and the performance has been perfect 95% of the time. Deep into Chapter 3, which is like exposure therapy for arachnophobes and people afraid of the dark, but it's such a rush to overcome each obstable and drink in every new environment. The gravity glove flinging and tactile reloading never, ever get old; and fumbling to load your last shell as a zombie charges toward you is fucking exhilirating. And the few characters I've met so far are charming as hell. Half Life 2 was so ahead of its time in facial animation, and it's amazing to see Valve release a game with modern AAA performance capture.

It makes so much sense for a series defined by great physics to transition to VR, where picking things up and screwing around with the environment is half the fun. This is Half-Life 3 in all but name.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I can't stop thinking about the very opening shot. Just an absolute perfect way to open this game. I stood there for several minutes just saying WOW out loud and smiling from ear to ear. Source 2 is gorgeous

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone else getting significantly worse performance after updating to the latest Geforce driver? Was running perfectly fine yesterday even when I was streaming it and now it's so choppy.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Watching gameplay for this makes me think that VR is the spark of life that would make the immersive sim really explode. The possibilities for systems-driven interactions seem limitless

You are right to think that.

As someone who's been with the tech since day the OG Rift, the tech has single handedly rejuvenated my love for gaming (and technology in general). My only complaint is utilized potential. We are still only scratching the surface.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only somewhere in the middle of Ch 3 (maybe 3 hours or so?) but I'm really enjoying it. The Gravity Gloves are kind of addictive and I almost wish they were real.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You are right to think that.

As someone who's been with the tech since day the OG Rift, the tech has single handedly rejuvenated my love for gaming (and technology in general). My only complaint is utilized potential. We are still only scratching the surface.
All those faux-pick lockpicking mini-games would suddenly have a gameplay purpose

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on chapter 5 now, but chapter 4 was a lot of fun. Most action so far. Those big Combine soldiers are kind of intimidating in VR lol. I was just running away and throwing grenades before I was ganged by manhacks. It gets real intense when you run out of ammo and have to flee a bit to reload.

I'm a fan of the globe puzzles where you connect one blue color to the other while dodging the red ones. It's like a mini game in itself. I don't care for the other puzzles so far. That's my biggest complaint so far.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to leave these story-related thoughts here for now, and see how they look when I finish the game, but I'm on the chapter "Arms Race" (chapter 6):

There was that conversation earlier where Alyx was asking Russell how life was before the Combine took over...which is interesting, because shouldn't she have been there?

In Episode 2, the G-Man says he plucked her from Black Mesa, but Eli never mentions anything about Alyx being missing for years. Did she somehow lose her memory? Was she actually in stasis for a few years like Gordon was, just not as long? Alyx is 19 in HL Alyx, making her 24 in HL2 + Episodes. We don't know what precisely what years HL and HL2 take place, but still, the fact that Alyx was implied to have been born at the time of the Black Mesa incident, she was likely a baby back then.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious about comfort on the Index.

I've only really had a chance to sample the Rift, Rift-S and Vive (and DK1, 2 and PSVR but those aren't relevant here)

I found the Vive extremely uncomfortable with glasses while the original Rift was also relatively difficult to use for long sessions. Both fogged up and were not comfortable for me specifically.

The Rift-S was like a breath of fresh air in comparison and is the first headset I can enjoy for hours. I had spent a lot of time tweaking Vive and Rift and never found a way to make it fully comfortable.

So, the question is - does the Index compare more favorably with Rift-S here?
It's funny you mention how much more comfortable the Rift S is. I personally wasn't a fan of the Halo design on the PSVR and preferred my Rift CV1 comfort wise. Never liked how bulky it was and how it put pressure on my forehead. The Index is sort of a hybrid between the two designs and it's my favorite comfort wise of the 3 devices(CV1, PSVR, Index) I've owned. Tons of people rave about the PSVR(Halo) being the most comfortable of the manufactures but I just was never too hot on it. Comfort is a very personal thing that varies from person to person as it turns out lol

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to leave these story-related thoughts here for now, and see how they look when I finish the game, but I'm on the chapter "Arms Race" (chapter 6):

There was that conversation earlier where Alyx was asking Russell how life was before the Combine took over...which is interesting, because shouldn't she have been there?

In Episode 2, the G-Man says he plucked her from Black Mesa, but Eli never mentions anything about Alyx being missing for years. Did she somehow lose her memory? Was she actually in stasis for a few years like Gordon was, just not as long? Alyx is 19 in HL Alyx, making her 24 in HL2 + Episodes. We don't know what precisely what years HL and HL2 take place, but still, the fact that Alyx was implied to have been born at the time of the Black Mesa incident, she was likely a baby back then.

If I remember correctly
The time frame between HL1 and 2 is at least 10 years? So she would have been a child given she's 19 in this game, though tbh you'd think she'd still have at least somewhat of a memory.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
they don't. The squeeze thing is exclusive to index, at least for now.
You can actually do the squeeze on Rift controllers too, by squeezing both grip and trigger and one of the face buttons (forget which) - you can pick up a soda can like in the opening scene and crush it by doing this.

Haven't tried on other objects though - what else is squeezable?

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I can't believe the last time I played a game so much within the first 24 hours of launch.

Time clocked in at 17 hours and 42 minutes.

I posted my full ending review in the spoiler thread.

I am happy and I have been waiting these 13 years.

Jan 15, 2018
If I remember correctly
The time frame between HL1 and 2 is at least 10 years? So she would have been a child given she's 19 in this game, though tbh you'd think she'd still have at least somewhat of a memory.

Half Life 2 and Episodes take place somewhere around 20 years after Half Life 1, so she would have been around 4 when HL1 happened.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So to people who have finished it: how important did knowledge of Half Life 2 end up being? Would it be possible to get away with reading up on just some specific facts?

I should probably just watch a Half Life 2 recap video, but I have it in my head that maybe possibly I'll play Half Life 2 someday and I don't want completely to spoil the story. (I've tried playing Half Life 2 and I don't it, so I'm probably being silly, but I figure that tastes change as time goes on and such...)

Oct 25, 2017
The wireless kits, both the one from HTC and the one from TP Cast, are entirely external and don't use any additional system resources. As far as your system knows, you're connect to a normal cable.
I know that's true for the TPCast, but that's not the case for the Vive solution. The system/steamvr can't tell the difference (even if it has received software updates overtime to account for the accessory), but the DisplayLink Software HTC licensed does realtime compression of your videocard's output on the CPU before sending it to the vendor locked intel equipment that comes with the kit. The performance cost increases significantly in the jump from the OG vive to the Vive Pro, even giving people with 9700k/9900k's trouble.

HTC didn't tell people this - to this day their system requirement page for the WA is the same as the cabled vive - and as a result people with 4c/4t cpus have had a bad time.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I think at this point, my only gripe is that objects aren't s interactive as I thought. Or rather, I'm not able to manipulate objects as much as I'd like to (dumping paint out, opening bottle caps, breaking wooden planks, eating things). Anyone that's played Job Simulator knows what I mean.

And it wouldn't bother me typically, but the crafted world is so believable and so rich in detail that my mind automatically expect these things to work.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I know that's true for the TPCast, but that's not the case for the Vive solution. The system/steamvr can't tell the difference (even if it has received software updates overtime to account for the accessory), but the DisplayLink Software HTC licensed does realtime compression of your videocard's output on the CPU before sending it to the vendor locked intel equipment that comes with the kit. The performance cost increases significantly in the jump from the OG vive to the Vive Pro, even giving people with 9700k/9900k's trouble.

HTC didn't tell people this - to this day their system requirement page for the WA is the same as the cabled vive - and as a result people with 4c/4t cpus have had a bad time.
I had no idea about the cost increase from the OG Vive to Vive Pro. I have the OG Vive and bought the wireless adapter and started using it about two weeks ago, and hadn't really noticed a difference. I'm using an i9-9900k.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Pretty good on a i5 6600 and 1070. I'm already stuck inChapter 2 and had a few scares with the giant robots, but it's really promising.

rabidtanuki

Oct 28, 2017
Played through the 1st chapter last night. Going to really dive into it today. Would you suggest starting on normal or hard difficulty?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can't stop thinking about the very opening shot. Just an absolute perfect way to open this game. I stood there for several minutes just saying WOW out loud and smiling from ear to ear. Source 2 is gorgeous
Absolutely. Can't wait to replay this, over and over.

Did you all throw something to startle the cat chilling on the balcony behind the table on the intro or was I the only asshole?

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about the cost increase from the OG Vive to Vive Pro. I have the OG Vive and bought the wireless adapter and started using it about two weeks ago, and hadn't really noticed a difference. I'm using an i9-9900k.
Yep, from about 80% picture quality on the OG to under 50% on the Pro (if you go by the math I did based on that reddit post). Higher resolution=Needs more compression=Needs more power to fit in the ~5 gb/s limitation. Quest users should breath a sigh of relief that Oculus Link uses their GPU for compression instead. The DisplayLink software does scale linearly with more threads, I think up to 24 (I cannot find the reddit post where I gleaned that from, so YMMV).

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Using the OG HP WMR headset (because I'm too lazy to set up my Vive and lighthouses), and it's working surprisingly well! Biggest issues is just the headset itself isn't that comfortable (not a huge fan of the sliding and twist-to-tighten headband) and that the space I'm playing in is like 5x3ft because of some furniture that I can't move, haha. No issues with reloading weapons or grabbing/putting away ammo into my pack. Looks freaking awesome to boot!

Wish I had a bigger space to play because I'm constantly having to check my surrounds and rotate myself to bend down to pick stuff up. If I wasn't having to do that, I'm sure I could just get lost in the game for hours at a time.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, from about 80% picture quality on the OG to under 50% on the Pro (if you go by the math I did based on that reddit post). Higher resolution=Needs more compression=Needs more power to fit in the ~5 gb/s limitation. Quest users should breath a sigh of relief that Oculus Link uses their GPU for compression instead.
TBH I have barely noticed a difference in picture quality from wireless vs wired. Even if it's really as much as 80% of it on the OG Vive, it's worth it IMO. Alyx still looks great on wireless.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point, my only gripe is that objects aren't s interactive as I thought. Or rather, I'm not able to manipulate objects as much as I'd like to (dumping paint out, opening bottle caps, breaking wooden planks, eating things). Anyone that's played Job Simulator knows what I mean.

And it wouldn't bother me typically, but the crafted world is so believable and so rich in detail that my mind automatically expect these things to work.
Wonder how much of it is a performance thing.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Using the OG HP WMR headset (because I'm too lazy to set up my Vive and lighthouses), and it's working surprisingly well! Biggest issues is just the headset itself isn't that comfortable (not a huge fan of the sliding and twist-to-tighten headband) and that the space I'm playing in is like 5x3ft because of some furniture that I can't move, haha. No issues with reloading weapons or grabbing/putting away ammo into my pack. Looks freaking awesome to boot!

Wish I had a bigger space to play because I'm constantly having to check my surrounds and rotate myself to bend down to pick stuff up. If I wasn't having to do that, I'm sure I could just get lost in the game for hours at a time.
Oh yeah this, even with a 2x2 meters play space I feel anxious not to hit a wall...

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
o8iAo2p.jpg

I know some people were looking for a no-commentary playthrough of Half Life: Alyx. I am recording my playthrough right now (using Valve Index controllers and a wireless Vive) and am uploading the gameplay-only videos to my secondary channel, Pure Gameplay, for those that want it. I explore and read everything, so if you're looking for someone who is rushing through to see the story, my videos are not for you! The first hour of my playthrough can be found below, and the full playlist, which will be updated frequently until I beat the game, is here. The titles for these videos will not contain any spoilers.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31 - Final episode!

I am also doing a commentated playthrough. The full playlist of that can be found here, and the first part is below. This is the only time I will ever mention my videos in this thread, so I suggest checking out the playlist daily if you are interested in seeing more!

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31 - Final episode!

--------------------------------------

Just some quick thoughts I had during the first hour of the game:

Crushing cans with the Valve Index controllers feels amazing.

The weight to bodies feels real in a way I am not accustomed to, particularly the neck and head. Lifting a body off the ground and having the neck and head slump back has a weight to it that makes it feel extra gross!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I have barely noticed a difference in picture quality from wireless vs wired. Even if it's really as much as 80% of it on the OG Vive, it's worth it IMO. Alyx still looks great on wireless.
You're absolutely right, its very clean and there's basically no latency. Most of the compression is in the color information/contrast. I never want to go back to the wire!

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to people who have finished it: how important did knowledge of Half Life 2 end up being? Would it be possible to get away with reading up on just some specific facts?

I should probably just watch a Half Life 2 recap video, but I have it in my head that maybe possibly I'll play Half Life 2 someday and I don't want completely to spoil the story. (I've tried playing Half Life 2 and I don't it, so I'm probably being silly, but I figure that tastes change as time goes on and such...)

Very important.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

The literal first second of the game spoils the very last thing that happens in Episode Two.

I have NOT finished the game yet, but am somewhere around halfway through.

There's been a couple of nods to HL2 + the Episodes that I think would hold no significance to people that haven't played them, even though the characters do draw attention to them. One such example:

When you crash the train, you go in the train car looking for Eli and the first thing you see is a bunch of sleeping Combine Advisor pods, and Alyx and Russell are like "wtf are those?!", seeing as one of those ends up being what kills Eli at the end of Episode 2.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am legitimately having a hard time going back because I'm in Chapter 3 and the headcrabs everywhere are fuckin' freaking me out. I wanna play but maaaaaaaan why headcrabs. I'm pretty sure I'm only about halfway through too!

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

In the first 10 seconds this game spoils the ending of HL2 and HL2 episode 2. Not to mention what starts to go down after...

The game expects you to have played those games.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I am legitimately having a hard time going back because I'm in Chapter 3 and the headcrabs everywhere are fuckin' freaking me out. I wanna play but maaaaaaaan why headcrabs. I'm pretty sure I'm only about halfway through too!
There is one chapter coming up a few chapters ahead of where you are you are not gonna like then, hahaha.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a couple of videos there was a bunch of neat little goodies I missed in Alyx's apartment right off the bat, such as the Snark or the Dog photo and design documents. In that room I was focused on the camera, haha.

I'm definitely going to jump back in and play through it again once I finish.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Had my first VR accident and I'm sitting down lol. I don't know how I ended up so far but I definitely knocked over a glass of water that I thought was well out of my reach lol.