• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Non-VR games are fine for me, but I don't have PCVR yet sadly.

That's great to hear, do you have the 120hz feature turned on on your index?

I believe I had it on 144Hz. My laptop is finnicky with the MiniDP adapters, so I have to jump through a lot of hoops to avoid an HDCP error. But usually when it works its set to 144hz.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
How is the experience with the Rift S? With MoH also coming out I might be able to convince myself to just pick it up right now.

The two big issues are the audio and lack of physical IPD adjust. The audio is easily fixed if you use use your own solution. I have a cheap pair of earbuds and they sound good, it's just another step when putting on the HMD. My IPD is close to the recommend range so it's not a problem for me personally, for someone not in the recommend range it might be, definitely check yours.

Overall I've very happy with Rift S.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im assuming that wireless "works" as long as you have your router set up next to you, and dont mind the occasional wonk that will come with that.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so do I literally not need to use a Link with this? I just buy Virtual Desktop and it straight up, no hacks lets me remotely play the dang thing just by running SteamVR as if I was still using Link?
I would also love to know this question.

not totally straightforward, but not completely impossible either, good write up by Kinggroin a few pages back, be aware that some have experienced some slight lag introduced with VD, but could be wifi and CPU dependent.

Fully.

You need to first buy the Virtual Desktop app from within your Oculus Quest -- BUT DON'T INSTALL IT. This is only needed to give you a license.

Next, turn on the ability to side load apps (apk formatted) via the Oculus mobile app (you may need to apply for a developer account, which is free and takes seconds).

Then, using a Windows program called sidequest, you can install the custom version of Virtual Desktop to play your steam library over your quest.

Turning on the ability to sideload apps (install things from outside the store):
uploadvr.com

How To Sideload Apps And Games On Oculus Quest Or Oculus Go

If you want to find and install unique VR apps that aren’t available on the Oculus Store, or you want to use regular 2D Android apps like Amazon Prime Video and Steam Link, this guide explains how to achieve both. You’ll need a Windows computer with a USB

Instructions for setting up sidequest is here:
github.com

the-expanse/SideQuest

A open app store for mobile android based VR devices such as the Oculus Go, Oculus Quest or other android based devices. - the-expanse/SideQuest

Get the custom Virtual Desktop apk from here:
github.com

Releases · guygodin/VirtualDesktop

Connect wirelessly to your computer(s) to watch movies, browse the web, play games on a giant virtual screen or stream PCVR games. Virtual Desktop is a highly optimized, native application develope...

The windows streaming client here:

If you have a good 5ghz router, this will absolutely be worth it.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Wait so do I literally not need to use a Link with this? I just buy Virtual Desktop and it straight up, no hacks lets me remotely play the dang thing just by running SteamVR as if I was still using Link?
I had stuttering issues on initial launch through VD, so I switched to Link, but upon returning later Virtual Desktop runs near identical to the Link performance, so I'll be playing that way for the rest of the game. Just make sure you have a 5ghz router.

Oct 27, 2017
First three hours are super slow. I played up until the first gunfight and stopped. I understand why, it is VR, training to play in VR is a lot more complicated. Everything is much slower, enemies, movement, combat which again fine for VR but a bit jarring since HL is a non stop rollercoaster ride of action while this game is like a nice lazy river ride
That's not at all how I'd describe the HL series.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Fully.

You need to first buy the Virtual Desktop app from within your Oculus Quest -- BUT DON'T INSTALL IT. This is only needed to give you a license.

Next, turn on the ability to side load apps (apk formatted) via the Oculus mobile app (you may need to apply for a developer account, which is free and takes seconds).

Then, using a Windows program called sidequest, you can install the custom version of Virtual Desktop to play your steam library over your quest.

Turning on the ability to sideload apps (install things from outside the store):
uploadvr.com

How To Sideload Apps And Games On Oculus Quest Or Oculus Go

If you want to find and install unique VR apps that aren’t available on the Oculus Store, or you want to use regular 2D Android apps like Amazon Prime Video and Steam Link, this guide explains how to achieve both. You’ll need a Windows computer with a USB

Instructions for setting up sidequest is here:
github.com

the-expanse/SideQuest

A open app store for mobile android based VR devices such as the Oculus Go, Oculus Quest or other android based devices. - the-expanse/SideQuest

Get the custom Virtual Desktop apk from here:
github.com

Releases · guygodin/VirtualDesktop

Connect wirelessly to your computer(s) to watch movies, browse the web, play games on a giant virtual screen or stream PCVR games. Virtual Desktop is a highly optimized, native application develope...

The windows streaming client here:

If you have a good 5ghz router, this will absolutely be worth it.

Yeah I asked about it earlier. I just tried it out and it works super well.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Quest users... If I already have a Link cable up and running on my Quest... Is there any reason to try the Virtual Desktop method? Any advantages over the Link Cable? Other than I think it's wireless?

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I took the day off work so I could play this today, just finished it with my steam time saying 9 hours.

The ending (huge spoilers, obviously)
Oh. My. God. I thought we might get a little bit of a tease and tbh I did suspect it wasn't in fact Gordon we were releasing. But holy shit we get sooooo much more than I expected.

Timeline wise I feel there's some confusion, Alyx still has to go through all the events of HL2 + Episodes for Eli to need saving and for her then to be extracted...

Also actually seeing Gordon's model?! And interesting the point about Gordon not wanting to serve apparently?

Also, this is now the second time we've had a cliffhanger in that friggin helicopter bay so we'd best be getting that fucking sequel now!

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Question for Quest users... If I already have a Link cable up and running on my Quest... Is there any reason to try the Virtual Desktop method? Any advantages over the Link Cable? Other than I think it's wireless?
For me it was the difference of playing in the smaller bedroom my PC is in (Link) versus playing in my much bigger living room, where I usually play native Quest games, and almost never see the Guardian borders (Virtual Desktop).

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone know why HL:A defaults to the lowest graphical settings, and says anything above that is not recommended for my HW?
MB: MSI Z270 MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM (MS-7A57)
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPUs: 2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti w/NVLINK SLI
GPU Driver: 445.75
Headset: Valve Index
RAM: 32GB DDR4

The game only runs at about 60FPS, with plenty of lost frames. Reading other posts, I should be blazing with this HW...

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Uhm, see that one post below my first one for further instructions, but yes, if you have a good 5Ghz Router it will work fine. :) No cable needed

Im assuming that wireless "works" as long as you have your router set up next to you, and dont mind the occasional wonk that will come with that.

Eh I have an old Asus Router (Diamond NC blablabla, could look that one up, but it's about 6 years old) which is two floors away through some walls and it works fine.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Would anyone know why HL:A defaults to the lowest graphical settings, and says anything above that is not recommended for my HW?
RAM:
I got defaulted to Low on a 1070/i7 4790k, but cranked it to Ultra and haven't seen any change in performance. It seems to be a common issue for folks, but definitely worth trying to bump it up

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
What's the cheapest VR headset that still provides an awesome experience with this game? Know nothing about VR, to be honest.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest VR headset that still provides an awesome experience with this game? Know nothing about VR, to be honest.
Most people are saying Oculus Quest, which is $399 USD, but seems to be out of stock everywhere. You'll need a link cable for it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/link-1...on-oculus-quest-black/6391780.p?skuId=6391780

I have not played it on a Quest myself, but I have seen general impressions in this thread playing that way have been positive.

I am playing on an HTC Vive (first gen) myself, with Valve Index controllers.

Edit: Appparently Windows Mixed Reality works, but I haven't heard any reports on how well.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Windows Mixed Reality is pretty much the low end while still being serviceable. Look at thesamsung odyssey plus for a good one. You could even look at picking up an older headset for cheap such as the original rift.

Mid range is mostly the Oculus headsets, Rift S & Quest.

High end is the Index.

This is a great video on 8 headsets:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Watching gameplay for this makes me think that VR is the spark of life that would make the immersive sim really explode. The possibilities for systems-driven interactions seem limitless

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically I always found VD to look better, Link has washed up colors for me.
But the main advantage would be the Wireless

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this, it works great if you're near your router, you'll still get the occasional fuck up but the latest beta is very smooth and it's just fun.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Watching gameplay for this makes me think that VR is the spark of life that would make the immersive sim really explode. The possibilities for systems-driven interactions seem limitless

It is worth looking up Walking Dead Saints & Sinners. It is as close as VR has nailed an immersive sim, my favourite VR game after HL Alyx.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Weird how the game defaulted to Low performance setting. (Running at 144hz though) I changed it to Ultra and saw no performance issues.

I really like the accessibility features for getting through narrow openings or getting on ladders. I wish the gun wouldn't stick to my hand though, but I understand why they did it.

I'm using the free movement option, played for an hour until I got stumped by a puzzle.

I liked what I played, but it's hard for me to really enjoy it because I was so exhausted and this corona shit is turning joy into ash in my mouth.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm, see that one post below my first one for further instructions, but yes, if you have a good 5Ghz Router it will work fine. :) No cable needed

Eh I have an old Asus Router (Diamond NC blablabla, could look that one up, but it's about 6 years old) which is two floors away through some walls and it works fine.
What are your walls made of? ;) It will also depend on how many devices are connected to your Wifi. But I guess as long as the signal is strong enough it will work. I have to look into this solution as well because wirelss VR is best VR.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everybody who wants to dip into wireless VR with your quest, try ALVR.
Its free and works as good as Virtual Desktop / Oculus Link, at least for me.

make sure you are using the fork from JackD83:

ALVR Fork

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, think I figured out my jitter issue. Even with a 2080ti/9900k, 144hz is pushing it too much with this game.

Even 120hz at low settings doesn't seem to give 100% smoothness going by the frametime graph in SteamVR. Fortunately, Ultra at 90hz seems to have zero problems, at least in the first level. We'll see how if that holds up the entire game.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MB: MSI Z270 MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM (MS-7A57)
GPU Driver: 445.75
Headset: Valve Index
RAM: 32GB DDR4

The game only runs at about 60FPS, with plenty of lost frames. Reading other posts, I should be blazing with this HW...

Disable SLI?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hmm, think I figured out my jitter issue. Even with a 2080ti/9900k, 144hz is pushing it too much with this game.

Even 120hz at low settings doesn't seem to give 100% smoothness going by the frametime graph in SteamVR. Fortunately, Ultra at 90hz seems to have zero problems, at least in the first level. We'll see how if that holds up the entire game.

Do you have RGB software like Asus Aura Sync running?

I had jidder in every game, couldn't figure it out, then someone suggested uninstalling Aura Sync. 100% fixed it as dumb as it sounds.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I really want someone to get into the mod tools and hack together a new Half Life Deathmatch VR 😂

I also want to know what Alyx looks like on the world. Just a pair of floating hands and maybe a hardhat? Should be hilarious 😂

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have RGB software like Asus Aura Sync running?

I had jidder in every game, couldn't figure it out, then someone suggested uninstalling Aura Sync. 100% fixed it as dumb as it sounds.

I don't have that software.

I really do think it's just that the game is too taxing for higher framerates. Incrementally busting down the settings/refresh rate kept giving me better and better performance until the frametime graph was 100% green at 90hz and the jitter/stutter was completely removed.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I yeah, I got a "bug" riiiight at the beginning , super beginning. I found a bucket and put it on my head. But then couldn't take it out no matter what I tried, so I had to reload save

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Quick question - in chapter two when you first run into some enemies and there's a pipe laying around, are you supposed to be able to swing that pipe at enemies to harm them?

I tried swinging at them, stabbing at them, etc. and the enemies just didn't react at all. I had to shoot them to take them out.

Using a Quest + Link if it helps. Tracking otherwise works perfectly for me.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Windows Mixed Reality is pretty much the low end while still being serviceable. Look at thesamsung odyssey plus for a good one. You could even look at picking up an older headset for cheap such as the original rift.

Mid range is mostly the Oculus headsets, Rift S & Quest.

High end is the Index.

This is a great video on 8 headsets:

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Got to try it out today. Dunno if I can play it though. Became very disoriented with the movement. :( Looks spectacular though.

Did you try playing with teleport or continuous movement? If it was continuous and you found it disorienting, try blink teleport. In blink teleport, the game will never move you around independently of where your body actually moves in the room.