• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck this game on Valve Index running 120 fps with a 2080ti is blowing my fucking mind.

This is next level shit.

This is the VR game VR was made for. I feel like the game has finally caught up to the tech, and it is revolutionary.
God I cant wait until ampere is out. My 1080 is just barely getting by at 80hz on my Index. Even then I still get drops sometimes. I need an upgrade x.x

They even mix color correctly. If you draw on the television screen with them, the color you use correctly mixes with the color being displayed. I.e. if you use a red marker on a blue screen, it shows up as purple.

wtf??? I need to try that

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, y'all..

There are a handful of VR games that have like one area or moment where the lighting is just right or shadows and reflections are just right and I stop and think "holy fuck this looks real" and then I move on and never see anything like it again.

This game is ALLL that. The entire thing. Scene after scene. When I first went into that apartment hallway with the dirty floorboards it looked so fucking real and lived in.

And all the little things like haptic feedback and swish sound when shaking a beer bottle. The guns feel awesome. It's sooooooo good and gives me those first time playing half life feels.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, this game is really really good, holy shit. Already 4-5 hours in, which is big for me on the first day. Now this is the VR game I've been waiting for. I'm playing with the Vive/Vive controllers and tbh I feel no downside to using them, they did a good job. I do want the knuckles at some point for single finger tracking and letting go, but they can wait(and I'll do another play though when I get them).

As far as sickness goes, this game is giving me 0% at 4-5 hours. I'm playing on the smooth motion and feel nothing, which is great. I can't play games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 for more than 30 mins otherwise feel awful.

Also now I want a new CPU even more. My 6600k makes me have to play on low. Still looks fantastic though!

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my previous post got burried in the last page, but:

Has anybody tried running the game with only a 4GB GPU? I've asked before since I have an R9 Nano which has no issue with playing current gen games and VR titles, but I'm short by about 2GB. (The R9 Nano does have High Bandwidth Memory.)
If I can get away with playing Half-Life Alyx without needing to buy a new GPU, I'd rather take that route.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 btw. Hope the lower resolution helps with the headroom.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask what might have been asked a million time but what am I looking at if I want to fully enjoy the game?
i understand Windows VR is not enough so... ?

I never had any VR headset and don't know anything about the tech, I'm in for Half Life basically.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me how to switch to burst fire on the pistol? There wasn't a tutorial prompt and I've tried pressing every button

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask what might have been asked a million time but what am I looking at if I want to fully enjoy the game?

I never had any VR headset and don't know anything about the tech, I'm in for Half Life basically.

the windows VR headsets are perfectly fine for playing this game.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit on my WMR set. It looks like people with Indexes / better sets have more control over individual fingers, but that hasn't felt necessary once and honestly I'm having a grand time here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

I'm playing on a Samsung Odyssey Plus and the game runs and looks great. Alyx works on all headsets. I'm not sure where this rumor came from.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
On another note, I just watched Angry Joe's review, I didn't know you could grab headcrabs out of the air. Gonna be doing that tomorrow lol.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Wouldn't turning off the "Quick Turn" option normally actually turn off the quick turn and make the camera turning smooth with the right stick? I'm still moving in set angles even after turning off Quick Turn...

This is with a Quest and Link

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On another note, I just watched Angry Joe's review, I didn't know you could grab headcrabs out of the air. Gonna be doing that tomorrow lol.

speaking of grabbing things out of the air, anybody else tried telepathy-juggling? It's totally possible to juggle objects in the air, solely through the gravity gloves,without ever actually touching the objects being juggled. It's sort of hard because you need to fling upwards to keep them in the air, though.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland

Oh wow, I gotta try that...I shot one mid jump today and I felt pretty cool about it...hahaha.

VID

speaking of grabbing things out of the air, anybody else tried telepathy-juggling? It's totally possible to juggle objects in the air, solely through the gravity gloves,without ever actually touching the objects being juggled. It's sort of hard because you need to fling upwards to keep them in the air, though.

Haha that's kinda cool, I notice when I'm nervous around a corner I'll grab an item and keep it a float with my dominant hand. It feels good to smack things in this game, speaking of which...can you do a melee in this game?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha that's kinda cool, I notice when I'm nervous around a corner I'll grab an item and keep it a float with my dominant hand. It feels good to smack things in this game, speaking of which...can you do a melee in this game?

Not necessarily melee, but enemies react to objects being thrown at them. You can stun combine soldiers by throwing your empty clips at them, for example.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lmao, the belly rub

The first time I saw a head crab, I knelt down to look at it IRL, and tried to flip it over with the nose of my gun. I've played so many other VR games where doing that would just have the gun clip through the enemy, but it worked in HL:A and I got to see the under belly. In VR, up close, those things look so disgusting. Like a clump of teeth around a brain-shaped dome.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
lmao, the belly rub

The first time I saw a head crab, I knelt down to look at it IRL, and tried to flip it over with the nose of my gun. I've played so many other VR games where doing that would just have the gun clip through the enemy, but it worked in HL:A and I got to see the under belly. In VR, up close, those things look so disgusting. Like a clump of teeth around a brain-shaped dome.

I haven't toyed around like that before. I'm just now discovering you can do stuff like that lol. I'm excited to play more tomorrow.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't toyed around like that before. I'm just now discovering you can do stuff like that lol. I'm excited to play more tomorrow.

The little details in this game are insane. Like, the blue gel in the healing pens? If you hold them up to your face and shake it around, you can see the goo inside swirling around like it's a liquid.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm about 3 hours in, most of which I was just screwing around exploring every inch of every area and interacting with everything, but it's really good. I debated holding off until I had a better GPU but I'm glad I didn't. This is shaping up to be my favorite VR game. Nothing really revolutionary gameplay wise (yet) but everything is just so well paced and polished and 100% feels like a Half Life game. I would have kept playing but I was getting tired of standing.

1070, 1600x, 16gb runs the game very well on my Rift S. The setting defaulted to high and I've had no issues, looks really good.

As far as sickness goes, this game is giving me 0% at 4-5 hours. I'm playing on the smooth motion and feel nothing, which is great. I can't play games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 for more than 30 mins otherwise feel awful.

Same here. I haven't touched VR in a few months due to being busy with work and playing some non VR games so I was a bit worried how my stomach would hold up. Usually I have to ease back into smooth motion and build up a tolerance but I was able to go 3 hours straight without any discomfort. The snap turn helps a lot here but I will use smooth once it gets fixed. This gives me hope a lot of the motion sickness people get from VR can be overcome with better design.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, the belly rub

I find it extremely difficult to look at all of the dead zombies lying around. I two hand pulled the one leaning out of *that* window with my back turned. I also put a grub canister into a med station while doing everything in my power to avert my gaze from the corpse lying right next to it on a gurney.

This game is very visceral. It's kind of a relief that Alyx and Russel are mostly calm about all of this crap, because if they weren't there for levity's sake, I would have lost my nerve several times already.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it extremely difficult to look at all of the dead zombies lying around. I two hand pulled the one leaning out of *that* window with my back turned. I also put a grub canister into a med station while averting my eyes from the corpse lying next to it in a gurney. This game is very visceral.

I jumped over that dude without pulling him out. Just grabbed the ammo off of him and ran past.

The visuals in this game are great. I'm loving the patented valve method of story telling through small details in the backgrounds. I assume everybody has been reading the scribbling on the walls? There are lots and lots of interesting tidbits being told in those, just like in the original HL2 and Portal series.

Incidentally, I love how they keep showing a symbol of an arm grabbing a crowbar, which winds up making the half life symbol. It seems to pop up in the background often.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Good lord this game is really incredible. I switched it to hard mode after running through a couple levels, makes it a little more intense but if you search everything you'll have enough ammo.

Took a clip - it's smooth on my PC so there's maybe some capture issues, but this fight fairly early on was just incredible. Playing on an Oculus Quest thru Oculus Link.
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Every fight I have with the combine is so real. I don't know what it is about the combat here but it's so intense. Might be the best shooting against AI I've experiences in any VR game? Seriously I can feel my heart rate accelerate as I'm shooting. Crouching and ducking behind cover is so goooooood

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord this game is really incredible. I switched it to hard mode after running through a couple levels, makes it a little more intense but if you search everything you'll have enough ammo.

Took a clip - it's smooth on my PC so there's maybe some capture issues, but this fight fairly early on was just incredible.
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

My dad is playing this game with me, he used to play video games back in the 70's and 80's, but largely stopped playing games after the Sega Genesis. When Doom VFR came out, he played through that a bit which blew his mind as he'd played the original doom before when it was new, but for the most part, this is his first introduction to modern games.

We've been switching off and it's annoying because when he plays, he misses all the ammo. He asked me how I knew which boxes to break or where to look to find ammo, and all I could tell him is that after playing these kinds of games for decades you sort of have a sixth sense about where they'll hide. See some sort of wooden box in a corner? Dollar to dime there's ammo in there.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My dad is playing this game with me, he used to play video games back in the 70's and 80's, but largely stopped playing games after the Sega Genesis. When Doom VFR came out, he played through that a bit which blew his mind as he'd played the original doom before when it was new, but for the most part, this is his first introduction to modern games.

We've been switching off and it's annoying because when he plays, he misses all the ammo. He asked me how I knew which boxes to break or where to look to find ammo, and all I could tell him is that after playing these kinds of games for decades you sort of have a sixth sense about where they'll hide. See some sort of wooden box in a corner? Dollar to dime there's ammo in there.
Don't all the ammo boxes have yellow stickers? That's how I know where to look for them. They look similar to the ones in HL2

Cant find any images of the Alyx version of the box

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I found Angry Joe's review interesting..."if you already have a VR setup then this is a must have game but if you don't have one then don't bother, it's not a system seller"...all 3 of the review guys say it's the best VR game they've ever played but it's not worth buying a $1000 Valve Index for...all 3 got motion sickness with it and couldn't continue playing (and they have never gotten motion sickness in any VR game prior)...they switched to the Oculus Rift S and had no issues all the way through

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't all the ammo boxes have yellow stickers? That's how I know where to look for them. They look similar to the ones in HL2

Cant find any images of the Alyx version of the box

you can find ammo and other items like resin in lots of unmarked boxes. The general rule I've found so far: if it's made out of wood, there's something inside of it. If it's made out of plastic or cardboard, there's likely nothing inside (but sometimes there are things under them). I keep seeing little handheld-sized boxes here and there that I'll smash open and find a goodie inside.

Other small details I love: how glass breaks. Oh man, I've been having so much fun just dicking around breaking panes of glass to watch them shatter. I keep trying all sorts of objects to break against glass and they keep impressing me. The first time I threw a bottle through an already broken window, and only the shard of glass it hit broke off, blew my mind.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
you can find ammo and other items like resin in lots of unmarked boxes. The general rule I've found so far: if it's made out of wood, there's something inside of it. If it's made out of plastic or cardboard, there's likely nothing inside (but sometimes there are things under them). I keep seeing little handheld-sized boxes here and there that I'll smash open and find a goodie inside.

Other small details I love: how glass breaks. Oh man, I've been having so much fun just dicking around breaking panes of glass to watch them shatter. I keep trying all sorts of objects to break against glass and they keep impressing me. The first time I threw a bottle through an already broken window, and only the shard of glass it hit broke off, blew my mind.
Gotcha. I'll have to pay more attention then. I've found plenty of resin but I'm not really sure if I've found any in unmarked wooden boxes. I just assumed there was nothing in them

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I found Angry Joe's review interesting..."if you already have a VR setup then this is a must have game but if you don't have one then don't bother, it's not a system seller"...all 3 of the review guys say it's the best VR game they've ever played but it's not worth buying a $1000 Valve Index for...all 3 got motion sickness with it and couldn't continue playing (and they have never gotten motion sickness in any VR game prior)...they switched to the Oculus Rift S and had no issues all the way through
Joe said he thinks it's a $400 system seller. In other words, a Rift S/Windows MR seller.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there will be update for smooth turning, rather than locked at certain angle. Smooth is all I need. Surely I can just rotate the head left and right, but I tend to use thumbstick almost all the time.

Oct 25, 2019
How exactly are you launching the games? I would suggest trying to add them to your Oculus library (using the plus icon pictured below) and launch directly from Oculus home rather than going into steam VR and then the application.

piThoOu.png
I play 99% of my games through Steam VR and NMS and The Lab are the only two games to ever give me crashing issues. All of my other games work just fine, so here's to hoping.

Wow this thread moves fast lol. Just wanted to thank you both for your responses on this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the story telling and foreshadowing in this game so far, with stuff Alyx doesn't understand but we, with the benefit of foresight, understand completely. It makes these moments we experience later feel a lot more impactful.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
After an hour, I have to say that I'm underwhelmed... I've played enough VR games that the VR gimmicks don't impress me any longer and if this was a non-VR game I wouldn't be impressed by it.

It's well done for what it is, but I don't think it's anything special at all.... at least not after the first hour!
I felt exactly the same way during the first hour but it escalates beautifully and now it's one of my favorites.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the hotel and I straight up feel horrible for having to kill one of the specific enemies in there.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Played through the end of Chapter 2. It's beyond incredible that after over a decade I can honestly say this was worth the wait. The level of presentation here is mindblowing, somehow this is the best looking game ever made while running at the high framerates needed for VR. Put it on the Ultra preset and it runs without a hitch on my GTX 1080.

The Russells are Valve genius at its very best, sheer elegance. They did have a learning curve of a few minutes for me, which was worsened by how both the triggers and grips on the Rift CV1 Touch controllers can be used to grip objects. I fumbled for a bit trying to figure out how best to perform the pull and catch, being used to using the grip buttons to actually grip things, but not liking using the grips for both the pull and catch. I settled on using the triggers for the pull and the grips for the catch. I also had to figure out how much I had to open my hand to activate the soft lock on, at first thinking that pointing my index finger at what I wanted to pull would be best, but ultimately finding that a fairly relaxed hand posture is just fine. After that period of adjustment it was smooth sailing and by the end of my session it was second nature. It's amazing to experience as a layman player but I'm sure understanding what they're doing with it technically is even more impressive.

Gripping simple geometric objects is probably handled programmatically, but it seems like there are a ton of bespoke hand positions for more specific objects. Like, check out the number of ways you can grip a random empty boot. I can't believe they put in the work for that kind of detail, but I have no idea how else that could've been done. What a joy this is. Can't wait to continue.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
got to half way of chapter 2 and enjoyed what I played so far. Controller died but I need some sleep. I'll continue more tomorrow!