• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm in Chapter 3, looking for a battery for a train section -- can't find it anywhere. Just those bad guy lockers with one weird alien disc in it -- can someone point me in the right direction? I'm genuinely stuck.

There's two doors leading from that room. I had the opposite problem where I found the battery but couldn't find the disc

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does it feel like you're missing out by not using index controllers at all?

most of the magic of the hand interactions comes from a seemingly endless amount of animation and bone rigging done. The hands animate against basically everything, which goes a long way towards making your brain fill in gaps. My buddy across the state is playing with a windows VR headset, he was asking me earlier how the game could "figure out what his fingers were doing" when he'd do things. The game isn't actually tracking his fingers, it's just that it's really, really good at predicting what you want to do and having the fingers match even if the controller has no tracking ability for that.

I'll give an example with the index controllers from the very beginning of the game. You start in front of a radio, and when you move your hand towards the dial, even on the index controllers which do full finger tracking, even if you don't move your fingers, as you get closer to the dial, your hand's index and thumb start to move like they're anticipating grabbing the dial. It works because, IRL, most people who are going to grab that dial will position their fingers like that naturally. The animation happens with the index controller even if you don't move your fingers that way. Those kinds of animations fool you into thinking there is an insane level of finger tracking going on.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in Chapter 3, looking for a battery for a train section -- can't find it anywhere. Just those bad guy lockers with one weird alien disc in it -- can someone point me in the right direction? I'm genuinely stuck.
I'm pretty sure the battery was in the same room as the control station for that one. I might be remembering wrong though.

EDIT: Actually I think TheMango55 is right, but I'm certain the battery is inside one of those connected rooms.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no words right now. The short time I've had with the game so far has been absolutely mind blowing. Everyone needs to play this game.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
For the life of me I can't store ammo, it just keeps dropping to the floor and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing wrong.
I tried both shoulders, on them, in them, behind them.

Ahh, it's because the pop up in the tutorial comes up too fast you need to move to the next section for it to work, dumb.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oculus Rift (not the S) and a 1060. Also, my CPU is a 4960k

that's good to know that the game is playable even with the non-S Rift...I'm not sure if my friend has the Rift or Rift S so I wasn't sure if it was playable with the older model...I hear the original Rift doesn't come with the Touch controllers

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
that's good to know that the game is playable even with the non-S Rift...I'm not sure if my friend has the Rift or Rift S so I wasn't sure if it was playable with the older model...I hear the original Rift doesn't come with the Touch controllers

You want the Touch or the Index controllers. Definitely stay away from the Vive ones.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
most of the magic of the hand interactions comes from a seemingly endless amount of animation and bone rigging done. The hands animate against basically everything, which goes a long way towards making your brain fill in gaps. My buddy across the state is playing with a windows VR headset, he was asking me earlier how the game could "figure out what his fingers were doing" when he'd do things. The game isn't actually tracking his fingers, it's just that it's really, really good at predicting what you want to do and having the fingers match even if the controller has no tracking ability for that.

I'll give an example with the index controllers from the very beginning of the game. You start in front of a radio, and when you move your hand towards the dial, even on the index controllers which do full finger tracking, even if you don't move your fingers, as you get closer to the dial, your hand's index and thumb start to move like they're anticipating grabbing the dial. It works because, IRL, most people who are going to grab that dial will position their fingers like that naturally. The animation happens with the index controller even if you don't move your fingers that way. Those kinds of animations fool you into thinking there is an insane level of finger tracking going on.
oh wow that is very, very encouraging

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
I had very high expectation and I am disappointed.

When the game begins there are pens that you can pick up. There is paper nearby but you can't draw. The objects that you can pick up and throw have very simple destruction animations. The way they bounce and sound is not very satisfying. There is an animation for putting your hands in your mouth but nothing happens with the way Alyx sounds if you do that.

I am using a Vive and the way the hands interact with the objects is a bit frustrating. The objects are often grabbed in an awkward way, the hands don't interact smoothly with surfaces. With the Index controller it should be better but I also son't think it would be great.

You can pick a broom but it's awkward to hold, the weight feels wrong and it doesn't make any sound when scrubbing the floor. You can pick a bicycle but it's very hard to turn the wheels and when you do the pedals don't move and it doesn't make the delicious tic tic tic sound.

The trailer suggested that it would be what you would expect from a Valve HLVR game: great physics and a world fun to explore and interact. The bucket physics seemed amazing and it's one of the only parts that is indeed very good, but not as good as in the trailer. Pushing objects too.

Heavy objects are frustating to pick up.

The 2 weapons I used so far are very good. It's a very good game, I love HL and I will enjoy it as another HL game. But I don't think it's revolutionary and I think they should have given more attention to detail.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The original Rift didn't come with the Touch controls if you bought it at launch. They bundled them (plus two constellation tracking stations) later (and also sold them on their own, I believe). I have a CV1 with two tracking stations and the Touch controllers, the game works perfectly with it.

Sep 21, 2019
Holy fuck this game on Valve Index running 120 fps with a 2080ti is blowing my fucking mind.

This is next level shit.

This is the VR game VR was made for. I feel like the game has finally caught up to the tech, and it is revolutionary.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a bit of controller jitter on my Index controllers that don't appear in SteamVR Home and other games. Anyone else?

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life gives me major Radiohead vibes. Decks Dark is about an alien invasion. I thought people in this thread may appreciate it.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You want the Touch or the Index controllers. Definitely stay away from the Vive ones.

cool...I didn't know you could mix and match touch controllers from different manufacturers

The original Rift didn't come with the Touch controls if you bought it at launch. They bundled them (plus two constellation tracking stations) later (and also sold them on their own, I believe). I have a CV1 with two tracking stations and the Touch controllers, the game works perfectly with it.

that's good to know...hopefully my friend has the bundle that came with the Touch controllers

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

This trapped me for a while too:

Lift up on the Toolbox doors in the room directly across from the panel. I kept pulling back on them assuming they hinged open, only to no avail so I wrote them off as Static, only to lift up on them in desperation later and find that they slid up instead.

Anyway, minor observations based off gameplay regarding Headcrab/Zombie lore:

1. Gonomes seem to be canon again. As of Chapter 4 I've not encountered any Gonomes nor do I expect to BUT a trait of the Gearbox vision of Zombies has made its appearance in a Valve game for the first time in 19 years. Everyone wrote off the Glowing Green Tumor of Gearbox Zombies as being "Just some stupid thing Gearbox added that isn't canon", but lo and behold, the Glowing Green Tumor has made its triumphant return after going AWOL for Half-Life 2. As far as I can recall, that's supposed to be the first stage of a Zombie's mutation into a Gonome.

However, a notable new trait in this case is that shooting said green tumor will be an effective One Hit Kill against zombies with it, as if it is damaged the zombie in question will explode a second later.

2. Decrabbed Zombies heads are intact in the back with no visible puncture wounds of sorts where it is assumed the headcrab would have pierced into their brain, or Brainstem for that matter - Whilst their faces are completely mutilated - CONCLUSION: Headcrabs beaks are in the front-side of the headcrab and they breach through their victim's face to zombify and control them. Which means the whole process is just that much more fucked for the victim than us DEEPEST LORE experts on the Half-Life series assumed prior.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow that is very, very encouraging

Keep in mind, Half Life Alyx is like Valve's showcase for all the VR tech they've been working on the last 6+ years. It's the grand unveiling of a lot of technologies they've spent a ton of money and time working on. The stuff i described above is called SteamVR Skeletal Input. The entire purpose of SteamVR and these technologies is to be to VR equipment, what OpenGL/DirectX is to GPUs. It's meant so that it doesn't matter if you have a rift or a windows VR headset or a vive or an index, doesn't matter if your controller does enormous amounts of finger tracking or none, from the developer's perspective it all just works and blends together. When you make VR games using steam skeletal input, it's like you have a virtual hand as your controller, and that hand itself is mapped behind the scenes by valve for all the different controller configurations and permutations.

peRIDef.png

The tech inside HL:A is honestly pretty amazing. This is one of the most advanced games on the market in many ways.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Played for 30 minutes, didn't even get in combat yet but the amount of detail and the interaction with shit so far is fantastic.
Playing this on my 1070 laptop since I'm in the middle of moving, despite the load times I've been completely immersed.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
When the game begins there are pens that you can pick up. There is paper nearby but you can't draw. The objects that you can pick up and throw have very simple destruction animations. The way they bounce and sound is not very satisfying. There is an animation for putting your hands in your mouth but nothing happens with the way Alyx sounds if you do that.

You can draw and erase on the glass right next to the pens.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I had very high expectation and I am disappointed.

I am using a Vive and the way the hands interact with the objects is a bit frustrating. The objects are often grabbed in an awkward way, the hands don't interact smoothly with surfaces. With the Index controller it should be better but I also son't think it would be great.

You can pick a broom but it's awkward to hold, the weight feels wrong and it doesn't make any sound when scrubbing the floor. You can pick a bicycle but it's very hard to turn the wheels and when you do the pedals don't move and it doesn't make the delicious tic tic tic sound.

The trailer suggested that it would be what you would expect from a Valve HLVR game: great physics and a world fun to explore and interact. The bucket physics seemed amazing and it's one of the only parts that is indeed very good, but not as good as in the trailer. Pushing objects too.

Heavy objects are frustating to pick up.

The 2 weapons I used so far are very good. It's a very good game, I love HL and I will enjoy it as another HL game. But I don't think it's revolutionary and I think they should have given more attention to detail.
They were markers, not pens. And you can use them on windows and white boards! I drew everywhere.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
God, headcrabs are so terrifying. I keep having to stop playing because my poor little heart can't take it. The sewers are ROUGH for us horror babies.
Yup, this is where I'm at right now. Had to call a friend on discord just to calm my anxiety. The thing is, even though I'm scared shitless I'm still just as excited to go back on and finish it. It truly is an incredible experience.

And man it's surreal playing a Valve game where recycled hl2 assets from 2004 don't show up somewhere. It's crazy how detailed even the most mundane props are. I really underestimated what Valve was capable of as a game studio.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
cool...I didn't know you could mix and match touch controllers from different manufacturers

Unless I'm mistaken, with an Oculus headset you can only use Oculus controllers (and the correct ones for its generation, so the CV1 uses the first gen Touch, while the Quest and the Rift S use the new ones that have the tracking ring for the cameras). You can't use Vive wands/Knuckles with the Oculus headsets.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
*Edited for readability*

I am disappointed.

1. There are pens that you can pick up. There is paper nearby but you can't draw.
  2. The objects that you can pick up and throw have very simple destruction animations.
  3. The way they bounce and sound is not very satisfying.
  4. There is an animation for putting your hands in your mouth but nothing happens with the way Alyx sounds if you do that.
  5. It's very hard to turn the wheels of a bike and when you do the pedals don't move and it doesn't make the delicious tic tic tic sound.
  6. Heavy objects (requiring 2 hands) are frustrating to pick up.
  7. The bucket physics seemed amazing and it's one of the only parts that is indeed very good, but not as good as in the trailer. Pushing objects too.
The 2 weapons I used so far are very good. It's a very good game but I don't think it's revolutionary and I think they should have given more attention to detail.

You, sir, have very high standards.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't use Vive wands/Knuckles with the Oculus headsets.

You can if you use a steam controller dongle, actually. The main problem normally is that the mechanism that the controllers talk to isn't standard bluetooth and resides in the headset. But it's the same tech as the steam controller dongle, so you can use that. SteamVR actually will let you connect multiple controllers all mix matched so long as they can communicate. That's how the extra vive pucks work for leg tracking.

But not the other way around, no way to use a Touch on a Vive or an Index, because, for the same reason, the touch controller communicate through the oculus rift headset. But unlike Steam controllers, there is no oculus dongle out there.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time with my cheapo Dell Visor. Playing on a laptop with a 1060 and can do high graphics flawlessly (haven't tried ultra)

Only thing I really felt like i'm missing out on is fun times throwing stuff at enemies. Getting a good overhead swing is almost impossible on Inside Out tracked controllers.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
As solid as this is, the writing is really not doing anything for me. The Firewatch style is extremely noticeable and I didn't care for that game much either. It's just two characters throwing way too many not very good jokes/quips at each other.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting a good overhead swing is almost impossible on Inside Out tracked controllers.

Windows VR controllers are not inside-out positional tracking. The headset is, but the controllers are outside-in positional tracking. They do not contain cameras to see out into the world. They contain tracking dots which outside cameras (on the headset) track. Hence the term, outside-in tracking. There is honestly no difference between the way Windows VR controllers track, and the way the original oculus rift CV1 touch controllers track, except that the camera is on your head instead of on the wall.

In the future, once prices come down a little bit more, probably with the next generation of windows or oculus headsets, the controllers will have actual inside-out positional tracking, just like the headset, and occulusion like you experience will no longer be a problem. Inside-out tracking will actually solve what your issues, the issue you have is actually the lack of inside-out positional tracking.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
~2 hours in. It's pretty cool but I have the same complaints I have with any VR... and after the hype I was expecting next level interactivity, but so far there's nothing new. You can pick up and grab objects like in other games, but with slightly better animation. Throwing objects is more natural than in most games, but it's not really anything that new. Interactivity is still limited. Why are there aerosol cans everywhere if you can't spray them? Every time I pick one up I just immediately want to spray it, but there's no way to do that. Markers can mark on windows but they can't mark on *paper*.

I was also really hoping for some actual gore but there is none. You shoot things and it just uses a litle bullet marker stamp. No detail, nothing approaching games like RE2rm.

It's knit picking, but so far the game just seems to be a higher quality version of other games we've seen before (like saints and sinners). Same stuff, but a bit better. Which is good, but not a revolution.

Granted I'm early in the game, I don't expect anything to massively change but we'll see. I can only go 2 hours at a time in VR before I'm tired of standing and tired of fussing with the wire on the headset.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can if you use a steam controller dongle, actually. The main problem normally is that the mechanism that the controllers talk to isn't standard bluetooth and resides in the headset. But it's the same tech as the steam controller dongle, so you can use that. SteamVR actually will let you connect multiple controllers all mix matched so long as they can communicate. That's how the extra vive pucks work for leg tracking.

But not the other way around, no way to use a Touch on a Vive or an Index, because, for the same reason, the touch controller communicate through the oculus rift headset. But unlike Steam controllers, there is no oculus dongle out there.

Wait, does that mean you can use Knuckles with a CV1, for instance?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I love how scary the shotgun is to shoot. Walking dead was a quick refund with it's super soaker
Fuck man, I had that damn shotgun ready to smoke some MFs. Next thing I know, a goddamn head-crab jumps on my face and I'm frantically trying to reload that thing and get that damn crab off my face. Zombies were coming and more head-crabs were too. Dude in my ears yelling "get it off, get it off"

I almost had a stroke.

Oct 27, 2017
do we have a centralized post with performance info for Oculus Quest? my game is still decrypting/unzipping, but performance has always been questionable for me with steamvr

for what it's worth, I'm playing with a laptop 1060 6GB, which isn't even officially supported, and it still works very well. Even on low the graphics and sound are great

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
~2 hours in. It's pretty cool but I have the same complaints I have with any VR... and after the hype I was expecting next level interactivity, but so far there's nothing new. You can pick up and grab objects like in other games, but with slightly better animation. Throwing objects is more natural than in most games, but it's not really anything that new. Interactivity is still limited. Why are there aerosol cans everywhere if you can't spray them? Every time I pick one up I just immediately want to spray it, but there's no way to do that. Markers can mark on windows but they can't mark on *paper*.

I was also really hoping for some actual gore but there is none. You shoot things and it just uses a litle bullet marker stamp. No detail, nothing approaching games like RE2rm.

It's knit picking, but so far the game just seems to be a higher quality version of other games we've seen before (like saints and sinners). Same stuff, but a bit better. Which is good, but not a revolution.

Granted I'm early in the game, I don't expect anything to massively change but we'll see. I can only go 2 hours at a time in VR before I'm tired of standing and tired of fussing with the wire on the headset.
just do it till the end...itll be worth it.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I pre-ordered this game, but I likely won't have the chance to play until this weekend. It's taking a lot of strength for me not to read through the comments in this thread, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

And now there's a spoiler thread on the front page... taunting me....

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
4h in and I had to make myself stop from playing, damn Valve magic where you don't wanna stop. Enough for today, but yeah this week is completely dedicated to getting through this game. Also:

I laughed out loud when you hear the toilet flush before the zombie gets out of the bathroom, classic Valve comedy right there.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
This feels like a whole generational leap over anything out right now. Absolutely bonkers what they've pulled off.

The only thing breaking my immersion is my game starts to get real chuggy and the VR view gets all fucked up after a few hours of play. I have to close the game and restart it. As soon as I close Alyx and get into steam VR home, the framerate and constant flickering stop.

Not sure what it is. But once I restart the game it works fine again for a few hours

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm taking my sweet ol time. Exploring every inch and taking regular breaks. After waiting so long for a Half Life title, idk why anyone would rush through their first playthrough. Let it all sink in.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking my sweet ol time. Exploring every inch and taking regular breaks. After waiting so long for a Half Life title, idk why anyone would rush through their first playthrough. Let it all sink in.

I am not rushing but I don't want to be spoiled either. So I'm playing as much as I can all while exploring and taking my time in game.

I'm at 11 hours and 4 minutes played now. Going to bed now haha

I will finish the game in the morning. I haven't been spoiled yet!

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried running the game with only a 4GB GPU? I've asked before since I have an R9 Nano which has no issue with playing current gen games and VR titles, but I'm short by about 2GB. (The R9 Nano does have High Bandwidth Memory.)
If I can get away with playing Half-Life Alyx without needing to buy a new GPU, I'd rather take that route.