• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game makes me wonder what other action games would become horror games if you gave them the full VR treatment.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
So I just cleared out my garage and I'm going to put my computer and Vive in there....does this game allow total free movement? I should have plenty of space, so I'm hoping I can just use normal movements with a little bit of teleportation.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
For those playing with quest (or maybe rift as well?) how do you activate burst fire on the pistol? Nothing seemed to do it. I did unlock it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just died for the first time because I ran out of ammo. I've been super reserved with my ammo, but ran into too many enemies at once.

just found the shotgun and ran into a bunch of enemies. Are others finding it hard to have enough ammo?

can you do anything against head crabs without ammo? Tried bashing them with the pistol, but that did not seem to work.

How do you get a headcrab off of you? Not sure if it was because I was freaking out, but couldn't figure out how to get it off. The. A second one attacked and I was done.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through chapter 3 and this has exceeded my already high expectations. It is amazing.

One problem I'm having though. When I first loaded the game while sitting, I was the correct height. Now, the only option that keeps me at the correct height while sitting and playing is the sitting crouch option. The main menu and loading screens put my viewpoint as if I were crouching, but when the game loads I am at the correct height. Any idea how to fix this?

Using a CV1.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
God, headcrabs are so terrifying. I keep having to stop playing because my poor little heart can't take it. The sewers are ROUGH for us horror babies.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
So I haven't played HL, though I did play HL2 about 10 years ago, I didn't really take anything in and can't remember it. I do want to go back and play them, but that's gonna take and while and this just looks so damn good in VR I wanna jump straight in. I'm seriously tempted to just buy this and play it rn, then go back and play the first 2 and then do a replay of Alyx. Would I be doing myself a disservice by doing that though?

Like aaaa it just looks so fun.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a VR set and I've kinda shat on VR for years but ohhhh man

This game is so amazing looking. I'm just watching gameplay and seeing stuff like crushing cans and using markers is legitimately mind blowing

Some day I'll play it, hope everyone's having fun

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Weird, my display takes up the whole screen. I didn't see any settings to change this unfortunately.

Weird.

Are you using an Oculus? If so you can just turn off the spectator display built in game and instead use the mirror mode executable that Oculus has in the following file path:
*whatever drive/folder you installed to*\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe
You should be able to full screen that.

If you're not using an Oculus then I'm not too sure.

Yeah I am using an Oculus. I'll try that next time!

Matheus

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I'm blown away. I did expect it to be good, but holy fuck. I'm in chapter 3 and just got jumpscared by a headcrab. I threw ammo at it. With my hands. I lost that ammo. This is soooo good. BTW, i'm using an Oculus Quest and it's playing/looking great. Pretty happy to be able to play it even without the steam headset

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Halfway through chapter 3 and this has exceeded my already high expectations. It is amazing.

One problem I'm having though. When I first loaded the game while sitting, I was the correct height. Now, the only option that keeps me at the correct height while sitting and playing is the sitting crouch option. The main menu and loading screens put my viewpoint as if I were crouching, but when the game loads I am at the correct height. Any idea how to fix this?

Using a CV1.

just go into your oculus device settings and adjust floor. I had to do this just recetnly. I was way too tall, it was kind of jarring once I fixed it lol

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
So I just cleared out my garage and I'm going to put my computer and Vive in there....does this game allow total free movement? I should have plenty of space, so I'm hoping I can just use normal movements with a little bit of teleportation.
So long as your play area is around 10m-12m square, roomscale movement works great. Unless you're wireless, bigger issues will be cord management and not walking through walls. There's a fair bit of elevation variation during gameplay, so you'll likely have to shift/teleport in places. Sounds like a great setup though!
edit: whoops, meant meters, not feet.

Just died for the first time because I ran out of ammo. I've been super reserved with my ammo, but ran into too many enemies at once.

just found the shotgun and ran into a bunch of enemies. Are others finding it hard to have enough ammo?

can you do anything against head crabs without ammo? Tried bashing them with the pistol, but that did not seem to work.

How do you get a headcrab off of you? Not sure if it was because I was freaking out, but couldn't figure out how to get it off. The. A second one attacked and I was done.
I think you can just pull them off with your hands? You can also block them with a box/lid/large solid object. Can't kill them with melee as far as I can tell. 19yo Alyx Vance ain't quite the badass she is in HL2 just yet.

As for ammo, make sure you're loading 7 shots in your shotgun whenever possible. Those rounds can be hard to come-by early on, so I guess make them count? Shotgun is really crappy at range in this game. Also check in corners and off the beaten path, because Valve has hidden ammo all over (also in/under things).

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself using a mix of teleport and continuous movement depending on the scenario. During fights, teleport actually has really legitimate usages (getting from point A to B without taking damage), and of course it's a little easier -- if not more natural -- to use teleport to jump on different levels above or below the current floor your own. Since there's no run button (or I didn't find one, anyway) if I want to move from place to place quickly while backtracking for instance the warp is actually pretty nice. Continous makes a lot of sense though when I'm fighting certain enemies and want to have my gun aimed and ready as I move forward or backward, and for general exploration.
if we could mix shift with teleport that would be great for combat, or just give a sprint button of some sort

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Is the continuous turning not working? Even if I turn it off, it's still snapping.

by the way, this game is friggin gorgeous, even on a CV1. There's a lot of nice interaction, but I keep wanting to Boneworks my way around the levels!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
what's the best VR kit to use for this outside of the Index?...is playing on Low settings that big of a difference in VR compared to High?...meaning is it the same as any non-VR games' Low versus High settings?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
what's the best VR kit to use for this outside of the Index?...is playing on Low settings that big of a difference in VR compared to High?...meaning is it the same as any non-VR games' Low versus High settings?

im playing on low fidelity and honestly, it looks great. still blown away by all the visuals

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Only ammo I've ran out of several times was for the shotgun. I have quite a bit of handgun ammo. I've been using explosive barrels a lot to reserve it. I also back out if I'm getting swarmed to take my time and take good shots. It's also all over the place. I've been exploring every corner so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Only ammo I've ran out of several times was for the shotgun. I have quite a bit of handgun ammo. I've been using explosive barrels a lot to reserve it. I also back out if I'm getting swarmed to take my time and take good shots. It's also all over the place. I've been exploring every corner so far.

I might have to do a restart. I've been finding ammo, but it definitely sounds like I've been missing some.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So at the Northern Star

Is there a trick to the lightning headcrab or do I just need to pump bullets into it? My first time fighting it I shot him with 20 pistol rounds and 7 shotgun rounds, which was about half my total supply, before I decided that was too much and loaded a save.

Or do I just need to avoid it?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the talk about snap rotation and such, if you're playing with a wireless kit, becomes completely moot. I don't use any stick to rotate, I actually turn in place IRL.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
seriously, even on low it's one of the best games I've ever seen. the lighting and materials are incredible

Low settings kinda means something different in VR games than with regular games. Low still has to be a good experience and hold a very solid framerate, so even meeting low spec means you'll have a great time. Low spec in a lot of regular/flat games tends to be merely passable and not the greatest experience.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
For the life of me I can't store ammo, it just keeps dropping to the floor and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing wrong.
I tried both shoulders, on them, in them, behind them.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
seriously, even on low it's one of the best games I've ever seen. the lighting and materials are incredible

Just bumped mine up to high and had been playing on low, looks phenomenal on all settings really. The lightning and geometry on objects is really something else.

Is it just me or does it or stereoscopic 3D more, or just more effective than other games? Couple scenes really made me notice it in ways I haven't before especially when
the vortigaunt pops his head out at you through the lil window on his hide out in the sewers

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This game revolutionizes VR graphics. I am shocked at how good it looks.

Vibration is used well to simulate touch. I could lean over a balcony while I was given a vibrating cue for when my hands are touching the railing. I saw a woman biking away. I forgot it wasn't reality for a few seconds. Moving a dial on a radio was also on fleek.

The movement systems, hand system and gameplay info are all top notch. With that said, I couldn't open a matchbox, or the pages of a book, or take a VHS tape out of its sleeve. Clearly VR controls still have a ways to go.

There is some 3D/VR wonkiness and you must adjust your fingers well on the Index before playing or the middle finger might not be properly recognized. I managed to insert a bike into a wall and to clip into some walls. There are many objects that are non-interactive such as a tv settings sliders. Room for improvement there but nothing unforgivable.

That's what I got from 1h of gameplay.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
All the talk about snap rotation and such, if you're playing with a wireless kit, becomes completely moot. I don't use any stick to rotate, I actually turn in place IRL.

I'm glad snap rotation is an option. I've been using that along with shift movement. I haven't had a headache yet. I did try smooth locomotion and turning my head to move about and it instantly gave me a mild spinning sensation. Noped out of that real quick.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'm taking a break now too lol. Gonna be back at it soon. The first encounter I had with the combine really had my heart pumping too. It was so goddamn intense. It did however highlight to me how the game wasn't built for smooth locomotion. Could really use a run/sprint button during those encounters :\
Use the jump function on the right stick. It's basically the same thing as the shift teleporting. Continuous + jump is the best of both worlds tbh.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017

I don't have a wireless kit since I'm playing with a WMR headset, but I largely stopped using the snap rotation after the first hour or so. Yeah, sometimes I'll turn 270 degrees to the left instead of 90 degrees to the right because I don't want to get wrapped up in the cable, but its still a better solution than snap turning.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else find throwing things in VR really difficult? I always botch it.

The big trick, honestly, is to think about it from the perspective of the game: you want to give your throw nuance -- exaggerate the action, but don't worry about "speed" -- and then just release. If you're talking about accuracy, sure, it can be tricky, but sometimes people botch it because they are trying to throw too hard or too fast, and most VR games don't put too much stock into that. They just want exaggerated movements. It's like throwing the boxes and breaking them on the ground: next time, just grab them, hold them up, and then do an exagerated and slow arc downward and release; you'll get the same result.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried making products involving throwing objects in the past, I did a whole basketball thing for the Rockets that involved throwing basketballs. I can't stress enough how impressive valve's physics for throwing things are here. It feels natural, and I don't know what kind of wizardry they are doing to achieve it. I have never felt another VR game nail the feeling of throwing stuff so well, even entire games that revolve around physics and throwing items, like H3.

If you've never actually tried to make this kind of system before, you just can't appreciate how impressive it is. That saying, "when you do something right, nobody will be sure you've done anything at all" applies.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm in Chapter 3, looking for a battery for a train section -- can't find it anywhere. Just those bad guy lockers with one weird alien disc in it -- can someone point me in the right direction? I'm genuinely stuck.