• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
im watching lirik playing it. Wish i can play it myself, even on stream it looks so good. The lighting is incredible

I about died laughing when Lirik couldn't leave the room because the enemy he naded glitched into the door.

Here is the clip:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
Do the Index controllers add any meaningful interaction? Or am I getting pretty much the same experience w/ Oculus Touch controllers?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
It really pleased me that the game let me put on the hat and mask. It blew my mind when the barnacle took my hat instead of me

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I about died laughing when Lirik couldn't leave the room because the enemy he naded glitched into the door.

Here is the clip:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
Best part of that was he was trying to pull the whole time. When he could have just pushed and it opened lmao.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many moments of goosebumps and I'm not even a half hour in. Amazing experience so far and excited to see how they crank shit up!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Bare minimum specs on my PC. The opening balcony stutters every time I move. Boy this will be rough but whatever, I get to play Half life. There aren't any visual settings? I want to turn off all the visual shit.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
This game is fucking legit. OMG! The head crabs are huge and there are legit scary scenes X_x; Lots of panic shooting and running out of bullets. You learn to reload very fast haha. Hearing the new Alyx voice was a bit jarring. Still not used to it.

I was surprise I could run the game on ULTRA with a gtx 1070. Also using a Rift S. Right now I'm using Shift for the control scheme. I wanted to use continuous but it doesn't seem to work? I turn my head but it doesn't change direction. I also had to change the turning on the left controller to the right one.

Only played 2 hours and no motion sickness. Also no crashes so far!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bare minimum specs on my PC. The opening balcony stutters every time I move. Boy this will be rough but whatever, I get to play Half life. There aren't any visual settings? I want to turn off all the visual shit.

There are, you just need to scroll down in the preferences menu. I imagine you're already set to lowest everything.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This might take the crown as the best game I've ever played and the best gaming experience ever. This is absolutely next level stuff right here. Like I literally can't believe some of the things I'm able to do.

Ori and the Will of the Wisp is the best 2d game I've ever played. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, as well as God of War 4, were the best games I've ever played until this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Stopping for the night after about 90 minutes of playtime. GOD DAMN it's really good.

So excited to get even more stuck into it.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
And it's alllll about not hiring a union actress.
For what it's worth, both actresses are SAG-AFTRA union members, so I don't think that was the factor.

Do the Index controllers add any meaningful interaction? Or am I getting pretty much the same experience w/ Oculus Touch controllers?
Seems like Index users can squeeze to crush cans, and probably a few other things, but nothing essential over other controllers.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, both actresses are SAG-AFTRA union members, so I don't think that was the factor.

Seems like Index users can squeeze to crush cans, and probably a few other things, but nothing essential over other controllers.

You can squeeze stuff with vive controllers too, needs to be done with your dominant hand since the other one opens the menu.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Buckled down and bought it after hearing about snap turning not being able to be shut off might just be a glitch since there's an option for it to be turned off. I managed to play up until chapter 3 before my legs started to cramp a bit.

I'm glad I did, this game is insane. If more people had easy access to VR, I could easily see this being as big of a gaming milestone and cultural phenomenon as the other Half Life games. It's absolutely phenomenal, and frankly I'm not even the biggest Half Life fan, nor was I really all too excited for this game.

I've played a ton of VR games, none of them have looked this gorgeous, had this much fidelity, controlled and felt this good, and were as well crafted as this one is. The closest game I've played to this experience was Resident Evil 7, and that's solely because it was another AAA game in VR. This absolutely lives up to the Half Life name.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is there a way to force the spectator display to be full screen? It opens in a tiny window on my TV. My GF wants to watch me play but it's just a tiny window that doesn't let me resize it.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a way to force the spectator display to be full screen? It opens in a tiny window on my TV. My GF wants to watch me play but it's just a tiny window that doesn't let me resize it.
Are you using an Oculus? If so you can just turn off the spectator display built in game and instead use the mirror mode executable that Oculus has in the following file path:
*whatever drive/folder you installed to*\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe
You should be able to full screen that.

If you're not using an Oculus then I'm not too sure.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Played 4 hours today and I loved it. Gorgeous, runs like a dream 99% of the time, writing is super charming, and it just feels really good. Some control stuff like doors feel a bit fiddly and combine combat is a bit hard right now, but I'm sure after a few more levels it'll click

It feels smoother and I go precisely where I want to go. My hands shake like a mofo and I move my head around a little too much for either analog option to feel steady. It makes me feel like I'm getting vaguely sea-sick when I use them.
Same. I was using blink but switched to shift on your recommendation and am finding it far better for keeping situational awareness.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
This is one of the best games of all time. There's like a few things I could see improved like making literally everything interactable because it's jarring with the few things that aren't. But so much is already that it is still mind-blowing. Loving it so much. I want Left 4 Dead 3 to be in VR. It would be insane.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Have a buddy that has an HTC Vive Cosmos Elite and she said it's playing well, looks great and functions fine with the Vive wands. Something to consider for those still looking for an HMD. Note: NOT THE VIVE COSMOS. THAT'S A NO GO.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
More than 6 years after my first modern VR experiences, and the thing about VR that still gets me every time is how scale translates. Scale you can't approximate on a conventional screen. The combine look 8 feet tall now. They are massive.

Felt this way about headcrabs. Like, they have to be big enough to eat your head because that's that they do since the HL1 but they always look so small in the games but in VR, NOPE, that thing really is the size of something that could eat my head!

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
any WMR user impressions?

I'm playing on the OG HP headset. I know there is a loss of fidelity that I'm missing out on, but have had very little complaints with the WMR controllers. I had some trouble early on putting ammo in the backpack since that requires you to let go of an item over your shoulder and with the inside-out tracking that can be finicky. Eventually you dial it down right and hasn't been much of an issue after an hour or two.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Laying in bed at 1:20am, can't stop thinking about the game. I'm so excited to continue playing tomorrow, which is something I haven't felt since like BOTW.

This feels like Halo CE or Mario 64, a real next gen wow moment, the next consoles or PC GPUs have nothing on this.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
This game is fucking legit. OMG! The head crabs are huge and there are legit scary scenes X_x; Lots of panic shooting and running out of bullets. You learn to reload very fast haha. Hearing the new Alyx voice was a bit jarring. Still not used to it.

I was surprise I could run the game on ULTRA with a gtx 1070.
Also using a Rift S. Right now I'm using Shift for the control scheme. I wanted to use continuous but it doesn't seem to work? I turn my head but it doesn't change direction. I also had to change the turning on the left controller to the right one.

Only played 2 hours and no motion sickness. Also no crashes so far!

Ultra on a 1070? I was going to hold off on this game till I got a better rig because I thought my 1080 would suffer a bit with this game.
But that is interesting to hear, it makes me more willing to buy a new headset and jump back into VR.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game
Ultra on a 1070? I was going to hold off on this game till I got a better rig because I thought my 1080 would suffer a bit with this game.
But that is interesting to hear, it makes me more willing to buy a new headset and jump back into VR.
Yep, I have a 1070 as well, flawless so far on Ultra, 4.5 hours in the game.

anyone know how to access the Valve Hammer tools for HL: Alyx? I wanted to dick around for a little while, but can't figure out where the tools are..

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Chapter 3 and I don't think I've ever been more anxious playing a video game before

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
giphy.gif

Blackrobe

Nov 1, 2019
Just got done with 2 hours of it! They really did it, they pulled it off.

They summed of everything that's been accomplished in 2020 VR and then pushed it a little further. It's so much fun!

It's been 6 years since the DK1, imagine what these games will be like another 6 years down the line. Wow.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I put the first bucket I saw on my head, which was funny. But then I couldn't get it off. Had to reload the checkpoint.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the most budget friendly vr set out there? Curious to try it but itll be a while before investing in vr for me

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Six hours in and had to drag myself away from it as it's like 01:30 here. Incredible experience, truly.

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
any WMR user impressions?
I played for about 2 hrs today on a Samsung Odyssey+, and it runs great. The WMR default bindings with SteamVR make sense and all functions seem to be mapped out correctly, so I would say dive in if you have a set. I did experience the snap turning glitch though, so once that gets patched out, I think the dual sticks in either one would work out perfectly.

There is a small hitch with WMR when it comes to holding your hands together for a pistol grip based on the size of the controller rings showing the limits of the inside-out tracking on WMR, but I've managed to find the sweet spot when shooting with two hands and it hasn't bothered me too much. The Tested video demonstrating impressions of HL:A are pretty spot-on.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
First couple of hours have been stunning - more overwhelming than I ever expected. What a surreal experience to hunt a headcrab in VR.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Not gonna lie even though I know the whole thing about scale in VR compared to out of VR and I've always kind of laughed when people talk about how much it blows them away -

When that first fucking Strider crests the buildings and stars scaling them, stamping into the roof four feet away from you - it just about made me fall over. DAMN THEY'RE BIG BOYS

Oct 25, 2017
I've put about 3 hours into the game so far and I have to say I am ... just absolutely thrilled that it turned out so great. It's a rare pleasure to play a game that feels absolutely designed for the hardware you use to play it, and Alyx on a Valve Index -- not to say the other platforms aren't great -- is a superlative example of homogeneity in game and hardware design. Each button press, wave of your hand, and physical interaction feels incredible; the connective tissue between the visual performance and the controller feedback gives you just enough physicality to focus on the task in the game, but also feel that much closer to the experience. Finally, the crisp quality of the sound design and visuals turn every environment into a virtual haunted house where each detail begs for the player to slow down and explore to get the most out of it. Playing HL:Alyx in room scale is an additional added pleasure; I knew ever since I played Boneworks that room scale play was the only way I wanted to play VR from then on out, and doing it here has been incredible.

And this is to say nothing of what Valve has delivered here for Half-Life fans. This *is* the next Half-Life game, and it makes me so happy to be able to say that it fits in that heavy hitting pantheon of titles. It is, to be sure, its own experience, hand-crafted for VR in a way that is clear from moment to moment; from the pacing, the encounter design, and the gameplay design of each portion, it's clear that Half-Life wears a bit of a different hat in VR. It's slower, more personal and intimate. It's way, way scarier. It's oppressive atmosphere. Half-Life: Alyx is scary in a way I never expected, and yet the fear it generates is a natural by-product of what Half-Life actually IS in VR; Valve hasn't *done* anything special with Half-Life to accomplish this: it simply is this way when given a faithful VR translation. The visual language of Half-Life speaks so much more loudly in VR, and it is a genuinely special experience that vindicates the purchase of any headset, but especially the Index.

I'm not done with the game, and I hope I won't be done with it for another few days. I can't wait to spend more time with it, unravel its secrets, and then go right back in on Hard and re-experience it. But more than that, I can't wait for Valve to make more Half-Life games and, I hope, I pray, more VR titles. This is VR's moment, finally, right here. There's more to say about the game in contrast with other VR titles like Boneworks, and in general, but I'll save it until I finish this game; for anyone who is on the fence today, though: do it. Buy a VR kit. Play this game. You will not be disappointed.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 3 and holy shit
bruh the fucking train crash was probably the best set piece of I've ever seen in VR? The physics were fucking crazy I was blown away[

Also the entire segment in the dark with all the explosive barrels and barnacles was terrifying /SPOILER]