• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing comparable from an immersion point of view imo is RE7, which obviously looks significantly worse on PSVR.
What blows my mind is just how much interactivity there is in the world. Bottles? Smash 'em. Cans? Crush 'em. Stuff on shelves? Shove it out of the way. Oh hey, here's a resin block I would've missed if I didn't pick up this bucket off the ground! Here's a few shotgun shells!

It's incredible how they made some of the most tedious stuff in games incredibly engaging and immersive. Valve should be proud of what they've done.
I'm not surprised. Wonder if they can eat resin too.

Curious how finite resin is, I was surprised when they dropped some so I'm wonder how hard it will be to upgrade everything.
They can! They'll drop it if you kill them. Same goes for ammunition.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Just played for almost 2h, this is it, this is by far the best VR game out there, it's crazy what a game studio can create when they have the proper budget, looking forward to the rest of the journey. But honestly, the new VA for Alyx sounds older than the OG VA :/

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This still has a lot of issues that are just inherent to VR, even with the Index: I'm experiencing a lot of jittering and clipping through objects and there's still a weightlessness to everything, but...

… it's by far the best VR game I've played and honestly makes me a little emotional at times. I forgot how formative Half-Life was for me and it's crazy they pulled this off and this fidelity. As far as I'm concerned it's the best-looking game ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
Steam VR update looks cool and so far seems functionally good, except it reintroduced the mouse inaccuracy in desktop view that was fixed only recently...

Alyx though, fucking awesome

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'll try in a few as I have the same specs, I'll re-quote you with results. Does it look significantly better?

Do people really want smooth turning? I never get sick in VR from smooth locomotion, but smooth turning destroys me.

That's the thing, I had no idea if it's actually worked that dramatically as for the first 10 minutes I was playing on Low, as recommended, but it still looked stunning.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
It's gotta be a bug. The option is there it just doesn't work. I'm holding out for a quick patch

Ahh thanks for the response. That's encouraging that it's there. But hopefully it's fixed soon.

On another note, I have a 7700 (the non-k version) and a 1080ti. Am assuming the game will run fine. But you can never tell with vr. Boneworks' framerate was dicey at times for me at times.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Few more thoughts after playing for a few hours.
  • This shit is super gory at times, particularly some of the dead bodies injuries...also anyone see the rat in the biological mechanism to open the
    quarantine zone
    ?
  • The returning enemies in VR feel like something else. The headcrabs feel really large to me, the barnacles look (and sound) disgusting.
  • The gravity gloves feel incredible, I used them 3 times to warm up when I hit the training area and instantly knew it was a game changer. Throwing and retrieving things in VR can often feel like such a pain and this nails both in a way I haven't seen in VR yet.
  • You can put more than 2 shells in the shotgun...worth mentioning.
  • Smooth locomotion works great if you are familiar to VR. Movement speed feels about the same to me as Saints & Sinners.
  • It's great to see Valve firing on all cylinders in terms of tech. The game is pushing my PC but still running well for how much is going on at times.
  • 3D model of the Valve guy logo on booting the game is a really nice touch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in 2014, when we first worked on Half Life 2 VR and put out our first demo using those razor hydras, I remember talking to Nate and Worm about how much I wanted a big, AAA budget title. We were doing everything for free, in our free time, taping controllers to our heads for positional tracking, but we'd dream about what could be done with a huge team of the best in the industry, lots of time, and lots of money. I'd play lots, and lots of VR games over the years, and I'd always long for a single game that took all the best bits of them all and put them into one package. Thousands of VR games, and each one would do one or two things very well, but usually at the expense of other things they couldn't concentrate or iterate upon.

HL:A is finally what I wanted for so long. It's everything that has been learned about VR game dev rolled into one impeccable package. Coming from a company with the clout and ability to make their own hardware, not relying on rolls of duct tape and trucker hats.

I had almost forgotten how much I love the half life universe. One of the most special things in all of video games. Games like HL:A are why I keep up with technology.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Stopped at the beginning of Ch. 3 for dinner.

I think Valve just dropped the best Half-Life game. Also, what the fuck, why are Headcrabs so BIG?

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This seems so cool! Glad to see Half-Life back!

Can't afford it myself at the moment, but looking forward to when I can :D

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the Northern Star!

Loving this game so far. A worthy successor for sure. Taking a break for now then more tonight.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Stopped at the beginning of Ch. 3 for dinner.

I think Valve just dropped the best Half-Life game.
Chapter 2 stuff:
The mural depicting HL1 events and Gordon and the following scene with the Vortigaunt....god damn. It's so good.
I just came off playing through the entire series again and I feel right at home.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
My only complaint right now is that Alyx's voice is muffled at certain points. It often sounds like they recorded her VO in a bathroom or something.

I agree that the default sounds this way. I found the sweet spot for my volume settings though, at 75% music, 85% SFX, and 100% Voiceover. Everything is way more audible that way.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
latest
And there we are, positive hmms.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Few more thoughts after playing for a few hours.
  • You can put more than 2 shells in the shotgun...worth mentioning.
  • 3D model of the Valve guy logo on booting the game is a really nice touch.
Similar to the shotgun, the handgun reservoir is kinda weird: when you fire the pistol, it fires bullets from the magazine first, then from the reservoir. It's basically an "I don't have time to reload and need more bullets" kind of thing, and not an extended magazine. When you load a magazine with the reservoir partly or completely depleted, it'll siphon bullets from the magazine and leave you with a partly empty mag. It's a bit of a pain, but it provides an interesting bit of insight into Half-Life: Alyx's ammo economy, and how well-considered bullets are as a resource you need to be conscious of.

Also, I miss the Valve logo from The Lab, which had you surrounded by dozens, if not hundreds of individually modeled valves.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Try disable/enable (depending on what's your current setting) Shadercache in your Nvidia settings.
Also set energy settings in Nvidia settings to maximum performance.
Also check your Windows Energy settings and set them to highest performance.

Updating my Nvidia driver did the trick seemingly. Played for awhile without issue.

I will say that chapter 3 section...

Where you're going through the dark with all of the explosive barrels was so intense. So few games make you go: "Thank christ for sunlight!"

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you have any issues with smooth locomotion in Boneworks? It got me super nauseous lol.
I got super sick in Boneworks after 15 minutes and played Alyx today for 2 hours straight with smooth locomotion and felt fine. I also think the option to 'move where your hand is pointing instead of your head' helps considerably. If I look at a thing to the side I'm not just running into the wall.

I think the slow movement helps, as well as no jerky weird animations. You climb ladders similar to Boneworks, but at the top they sort of just automove you to the very top. Even falling from a ledge is slower than gravity.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to change the pistol to burst fire? Just purchased the upgrade but it doesn't explain how to do it. I'm using the Vive wands btw.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also think the option to 'move where your hand is pointing instead of your head' helps considerably.

These are like fundamental lessons learned from VR Dev from 5+ years ago, that so many still get wrong. It's a huge thing that is discussed in development circles, that it blows my mind when they get it wrong.

It's things like this that really are why this game is going to be the template for VR going forward. The devil is in the details. Hundreds of small decisions that, when done in concert, for seemingly indescribable reasons, takes similar game design from "sick in 15 minutes" to "long play sessions without problem."

Those decisions are super important to the health and longevity of VR! Developers need to pay very close attention to how HL:A does things to avoid people getting sick.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Question: how does one chamber a round?

I am trying to slide the... slidey bit of the gun but it just seems stuck so I press B instead.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Updating my Nvidia driver did the trick seemingly. Played for awhile without issue.

Where you're going through the dark with all of the explosive barrels was so intense. So few games make you go: "Thank christ for sunlight!"
That's great to hear. What headset are you using?

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
So how many of are feeling real "presence" while playing the game?

I keep trying to kick away boxes near my feet, so I'd say they have done a very good job with making it feel like you are in the world.
Almost all the physics interactions with your hands feel so natural, so it only really pulls you out from the experience when you grab a pipe or something that won't come loose from wherever it's stuck and you have to jiggle it a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to adjust my position? I'm very low, like i'm sitting. If I actually stand it's fine, but I would rather sit while I play. I adjusted the view within the oculus setting, but couldn't see how to do it for the game.

using the quest with link

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These are like fundamental lessons learned from VR Dev from 5+ years ago, that so many still get wrong. It's a huge thing that is discussed in development circles, that it blows my mind when they get it wrong.

It's things like this that really are why this game is going to be the template for VR going forward. The devil is in the details. Hundreds of small decisions that, when done in concert, for seemingly indescribable reasons, takes similar game design from "sick in 15 minutes" to "long play sessions without problem."

Those decisions are super important to the health and longevity of VR! Developers need to pay very close attention to how HL:A does things to avoid people getting sick.
This is a great summary of how I feel about this game. Top of class art direction definitely helps, but it's the multitude of tiny interactions that you can't hell but notice in VR that we're never even thoughts in game dev before.

Not to gang up on the game, but on paper I thought Boneworks was going to be THE VR killer app. I might have put 2 hours total into it just from the sickness related. I feel like a bunch of devs out there just wanted to try 'new' ideas on VR rather than try to perfect the basics.

It's really cool to now have this big tentpole AAA VR game folks can point at for a good example, instead of saying 'well these folks got locomotion right, this other game got inventory working well' etc.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a small thing, but the throwing feels so good in this compared to Boneworks. I could reliably throw a can at a distant pigeon after a couple of throws

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
It's fucking wonderful. I've just played for well over an hour and feel fine. All the movement controls set to sick and not a hint of nausea. Very impressed with myself.

More impressed with Valve mind. It's incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is [VERY STRESSFUL], but at the same time pretty generous. I'm not going to lie, I really appreciated
the segments were Alyx asks Russel to talk through the dark areas of the game after getting the flashlight - I was also really fuckin' scared, I really needed that -
before taking the training wheels off.

Also, I got stuck on a puzzle again. I got through it, but it took me a minute. These are not my favorite portions of the game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to adjust my position? I'm very low, like i'm sitting. If I actually stand it's fine, but I would rather sit while I play. I adjusted the view within the oculus setting, but couldn't see how to do it for the game.

using the quest with link
In Alyx's Accessibility settings, there's an option to adjust your height, try that.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is super gory at times, particularly some of the dead bodies injuries...also anyone see the rat in the biological mechanism to open the
quarantine zone
?

I saw that and was like, huh, is that rat... happy? Seemed kinda upbeat to me. PRETTY FUCKED UP, VALVE.

Also, in the same area, moving the dead zombie out of the window so you can crawl in was surprisingly freaky for me. I blame the ragdoll physics.

In Alyx's Accessibility settings, there's an option to adjust your height, try that.

Is that what that does? I read the explanation and it sounded like it was tied to motions/buttons on the controller for when you had to duck under stuff/climb stuff, not specifically about the height of your head/camera.

Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2014, when we first worked on Half Life 2 VR and put out our first demo using those razor hydras, I remember talking to Nate and Worm about how much I wanted a big, AAA budget title. We were doing everything for free, in our free time, taping controllers to our heads for positional tracking, but we'd dream about what could be done with a huge team of the best in the industry, lots of time, and lots of money. I'd play lots, and lots of VR games over the years, and I'd always long for a single game that took all the best bits of them all and put them into one package. Thousands of VR games, and each one would do one or two things very well, but usually at the expense of other things they couldn't concentrate or iterate upon.

HL:A is finally what I wanted for so long. It's everything that has been learned about VR game dev rolled into one impeccable package. Coming from a company with the clout and ability to make their own hardware, not relying on rolls of duct tape and trucker hats.

I had almost forgotten how much I love the half life universe. One of the most special things in all of video games. Games like HL:A are why I keep up with technology.
Its almost unbelievable. I could only play for thirty mins before needing to go to work, but even during that time I kind of couldn't believe they actually did this.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Had to stop. Was stuck on the puzzle for chapter 3 after fighting the combine. I'm really bad at stuff like that, so I'll probably be stuck there until I cave and look it up lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the performance flawless for you now or do you get small micro-stutters here and there - totally random? What settings are you using ingame, in Oculus Debugger (if any) and Steam VR Supersampling?
I was getting stutters, but restarting the game fixed it. I also raised the priority of the OculusServer priority to "real-time", not sure if that helped. But from the point it was completely stutter free.

I also did a clean install of the latest drivers, but that was before the first launch with the stutters, so not sure.

Plum

May 31, 2018

I must have died about 5 times on that bit alone, but it wasn't frustrating because they were all my own dumb mistakes. A few of them were from me literally forgetting to chamber my gun...

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Just woke up. Haven't read anything or seen anything about the game today. Going to play through this damn thing in one sitting. See you when it's over!
cdY9mRM.jpg