• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Watched the first few minutes and I don't think I've been this impressed with a game in decades.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody playing this with a 1070? I'm downloading now, hope it performs okay with my 8086K.
Seems to be more dependent on CPU by what people are getting as their default settings. Mine being 6700k GTX 1080, and another user having a 8600k with a GTX 1070 Ti, the other user defaulted to High fidelity, while mine defaulted to low.

Guys, what is the most comfortable way to play this? Sitting down or standing? Teleportation or full joystick locomotion?

This is up to preference alone I think. But I'd guess sitting with teleport would be least taxing on you. I'm playing standing with smooth locomotion though and having no issues.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
How does the game hold up in Quest ? I would like to know more about visual fidelity. I sold off my oculus headset and have been debating whether I should put $1000 towards Index or if Quest will work fine for this.

It's honestly pretty fantastic. It's certainly better than my CV1. I can easily look past any compression, and don't notice it at all, especially once immersed in the game. I notice zero latency issues. It's kind of remarkable (I'm sure the index is far superior, but I'm happy).

I've got 30 minutes in so far, and it's quite amazing. The details, the sounds, it's all pretty great. There is no way they could have replicated this without VR.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Seems to be more dependent on CPU by what people are getting as their default settings. Mine being 6700k GTX 1080, and another user having a 8600k with a GTX 1070 Ti, the other user defaulted to High fidelity, while mine defaulted to low.

This is up to preference alone I think. But I'd guess sitting with teleport would be least taxing on you. I'm playing standing with smooth locomotion though and having no issues.
Did you have any issues with smooth locomotion in Boneworks? It got me super nauseous lol.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first crash midway through chapter 3, but god damn. Working through this world is like walking through a theme park attraction that spared no fucking expense. It's extremely convincing and fucking unreal how great this all looks. I'm especially impressed with the character animation work too and how convincing it all is with these characters tracking and talking to Alyx. It really feels like that sort of Half-Life 2 leap all over again.

Guys, what is the most comfortable way to play this? Sitting down or standing? Teleportation or full joystick locomotion?

I think full joystick has been the best so far, just for ease of interacting with elements like doors and not making me feel that bad. If you can get away with it, you should.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is easily my GotY so far. I'm on the Superweapon chapter and am taking a break for a bit. This game is still blowing my mind.

THIS is what a good VR game is, THIS is a good new Half-Life.

I'm playing on a first gen Vive and the game still looks incredible. All the mechanics are amazing, the gravity gloves feel so natural. It took me a minute at the start, but after trying it a few times I understood it and it just felt second nature.

Classic HL enemies feel like they have a lot more impact in this game. Barnacles look more terrifying and disgusting than ever, and I love the ways they are utilized in the levels. Headcrabs.. Holy shit they still give me the creeps.

If you can get your hands on a VR headset you absolutely need to play this.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
How does the game hold up in Quest ? I would like to know more about visual fidelity. I sold off my oculus headset and have been debating whether I should put $1000 towards Index or if Quest will work fine for this.

Been playing on quest for about 5 hours now... For someone reason I kept dropping the link connection to my pc (i'm using the usb c on the front panel and I figured thats why) after a reset I didn't experience another dropped link.

Visually its great, you can see some compression in darker areas maybe but it looks fantastic and plays fantastic and the control scheme for the touch contollers works great and you get some guestimated finger tracking... All in all its a great compromise IMO.

This game guys... holy freaking crap. Nothing compares to this game.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone had issues getting it to run on an Oculus Rift S? I get as far as the click trigger to start screen and it crashes every time.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm playing on with a i7-6700k, GTX 980ti, and 16 Gigs of ram and it defaulted to Low. Just for shits and giggles I moved it up to High and... I don't notice any huge loss to performance. Is it bugged out? No slowdown or anything, so I'm gonna stay playing like this for now.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's just after 10pm, I've played for ~5 hours with only 2 small drink breaks. It's damn fantastic! I upped the difficulty from normal because I was finding it a little too easy and now it feels like the perfect balance between preserving ammo and utilising VR space. The world looks amazing, the guns feel amazing, the story is super interesting. It honestly feels like it's firing on all cylinders, something no other VR game has done for me.

Going to continue playing when I wake up tomorrow. Hope you all continue to enjoy it as much as me while I sleep!

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Anybody playing this with a 1070? I'm downloading now, hope it performs okay with my 8086K.
1070, 7700k, 16gb of RAM here. Played the first few chapters and the game runs great. It defaulted to low when I started it up, but even setting it to ultra was mostly fine. A few areas with noticeable frame drops, but after setting things to a mix of medium/high/ultra it's running really great. I believe I have the resolution set to 118%, using an Odyssey+.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
The story is one of the absolute best part of the half life universe (and portal is a very big part of that story, too). HL:A is the latest chapter in a long running story with lots of details. It very much expects you to be caught up with things.

To give a comparison, it's kind of like jumping into MGS3 without knowing the previous MGS stories.

Dang ok. I watched a recap video on HL1, but in the video, they said to stop here if you plan on playing HL2 after Alyx (since this is a prequel). I already dove in and played for about an hour or so. I might get HL1 and 2 and try and play them to get caught up, but if not, ill settle on the videos until I have time to go back.

So far though, the game is amazing. It set me on low fidelity at first (rtx 2060) but cranking it up to high didnt seem to effect it at all. However, I did experience a crash after about an hour or more. Ill hop back in later, but its really something else. My only complaint right now is that Alyx's voice is muffled at certain points. It often sounds like they recorded her VO in a bathroom or something.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
You really need 16gb RAM?? what in the heck.. I've got 8 and I don't think it's been an issue before! I have a 1080 but dang, I didn't think I'd need to upgrade for this

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is the most amazing VR game I've ever played. I don't think I'd go so far as to say the most innovative game I've ever played, period, but damn. Valve has clearly paid attention to how VR games evolved over the past three or four years, and it paid off. HLA is incredible.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I suggest starting with the default teleportation method and do the entire intro sequence without interruption. Wait until the moment you are given a pistol (it's an early and obvious point), at which point you'll be in a sort of parking lot. You can burn through as much ammunition as you want in this sequence so long as you don't open the locked door leading to the next sequence... you'll constantly be given extra ammo if you run out, cuz otherwise, you'd be trapped.

At this point, go into the menus and test all the different motion options. Practice moving and shooting. Take your time.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone know how to find the
missing brain cylinder thing for the control panel? Soon after you first fight the combine?

Also the combine take a lot of headshots from that pistol.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
I can aim fairly well in modern FPS games and the like but I have absolute shit aim in VR since I'm just not used to needing the manual dexterity involved. It's fucking nuts.

Also, has anyone else tried to use their legs to move things around without realizing what you're doing? I was trying to scoot a large crate and went to go kick at it to give it a little extra push lol. Never had that experience in VR and it made me feel real silly.

Do you close one of your eyes to aim in VR? If so do you know which of your eyes is your dominant eye? If you are closing the wrong one that could be why your aim is off.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm playing on with a i7-6700k, GTX 980ti, and 16 Gigs of ram and it defaulted to Low. Just for shits and giggles I moved it up to High and... I don't notice any huge loss to performance. Is it bugged out? No slowdown or anything, so I'm gonna stay playing like this for now.

Sorry to quote myself but anyone else experience this?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fool and never got around to the original games in the series... Even though I kept telling myself I would. I can probably contain the hype and be patient so...

Should I sort myself out and play through the previous games first? Or should I just say screw it and jump right into this?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I just started chapter 3, it's excellent so far. The animation on everything is amazing.

I will say I thought the Reflex sight upgrade was a no brainer but I actually feel like my aim actually got worse with it, since I got used to the iron sights here and am used to it from other VR games.

Also pro-tip, kill barnacles even when you can avoid them. They will typically drop ammo or resin.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Do you close one of your eyes to aim in VR? If so do you know which of your eyes is your dominant eye? If you are closing the wrong one that could be why your aim is off.
My right eye is my dominant and if I do close one eye it's my left. I just have zero experience with this particular sort of hand-eye coordination, so it's just a matter of practice!

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile
I played the first two hours of the game and am amazed. The atmosphere, the terror, the graphics. It is everything and more than I had expected. Just listening to a headcreab makes you cautious. The first times a Strider appears ... perfection.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
You really need 16gb RAM?? what in the heck.. I've got 8 and I don't think it's been an issue before! I have a 1080 but dang, I didn't think I'd need to upgrade for this

12GB is the minimum. It'd probably run with 8GB, but I presume Valve recommends at least 12GB since even throwaway items are highly detailed and as much game data as reasonably possible needs to be held in RAM to minimise pop-in and such.

You can always refund if the experience is poor, and you can use Offline Mode to experiment with settings as long as you need to, as time played while offline doesn't count against the refund window.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just started chapter 3, it's excellent so far. The animation on everything is amazing.

I will say I thought the Reflex sight upgrade was a no brainer but I actually feel like my aim actually got worse with it, since I got used to the iron sights here and am used to it from other VR games.

Also pro-tip, kill barnacles even when you can avoid them. They will typically drop ammo or resin.
Fun fact about barnacles. They can eat ammo if you try and pull a magazine out from under them. :')

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
So is it really the case that there's no smooth turning? Only snap? That's a bummer if so. I have no issues with motion sickness and far prefer smooth locomotion and turning whenever possible.

Nevertheless, excited to give this a go later today!

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, my aim also got worse with the sight on. I keep pointing my gun down more than I should. I usually do better when I just go by feel and don't really aim down the sight.

Really fun throwing around bottles and shooting them in the air.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
chapter 3 now, really really enjoying it, but fuck if this isn't the first VR game that's given me both headaches and stomach aches. God dammit. Love it otherwise but fuck it's doing a number on me, never had that before at all.

Oct 25, 2017
missing brain cylinder thing for the control panel? Soon after you first fight the combine?

It's in the room to the left behind the control panel. There are a bunch of red handles you can pull to reveal the brain cylinder.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
This is the most amazing VR game I've ever played. I don't think I'd go so far as to say the most innovative game I've ever played, period, but damn. Valve has clearly paid attention to how VR games evolved over the past three or four years, and it paid off. HLA is incredible.

The only thing comparable from an immersion point of view imo is RE7, which obviously looks significantly worse on PSVR.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

that took few a few minutes to figure out. The door next to the closet has a handle I didn't see at first and can be opened. There's combine lockers in there and it's in one.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Only played a short while, but wow. It's unbelievable - everything works and feels so natural. It looks fantastic, it sound great, it's amazing.

Nothing else I've experienced in VR comes anywhere close to this. Which of course is understandable - no one else has invested this much time and money into a VR game before, most companies aren't anywhere close to as fortune as Valve.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang ok. I watched a recap video on HL1, but in the video, they said to stop here if you plan on playing HL2 after Alyx (since this is a prequel). I already dove in and played for about an hour or so. I might get HL1 and 2 and try and play them to get caught up, but if not, ill settle on the videos until I have time to go back.

So far though, the game is amazing. It set me on low fidelity at first (rtx 2060) but cranking it up to high didnt seem to effect it at all. However, I did experience a crash after about an hour or more. Ill hop back in later, but its really something else. My only complaint right now is that Alyx's voice is muffled at certain points. It often sounds like they recorded her VO in a bathroom or something.

You wouldn't have been able to tell, but in the reveal trailer for Half Life Alyx, the trailer ends with the very last line of dialog spoken in the entire half life universe so far, indicating that it at least references the totality of the current Half Life story.

Don't want to get into too much spoiler or lore discussion, but there is an entire race of characters in Half Life that experience time in a non-linear fashion. So "prequel" doesn't really mean too much necessarily.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Just trying to get some clarification, is the not being able to disable the snap turning bug happening to everyone or is it just an issue for particular headset/controller setups?

Hoping for a quick fix as I'd much rather continue this journey with smooth turning instead of the immersion factor being reduced every time I turn.
Wait, is smooth turning possible? I don't really like the snap turning but turning it off just made it so I couldn't turn at all

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
So is it really the case that there's no smooth turning? Only snap? That's a bummer if so. I have no issues with motion sickness and far prefer smooth locomotion and turning whenever possible.

Yeah this has been my only let down. Please add smooth turning Valve!!

Oct 27, 2017

It's gotta be a bug. The option is there it just doesn't work. I'm holding out for a quick patch

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent over 5 hours playing the game and only quit because one of my controllers ran out of battery.

This is incredible. This is absolutely incredible. This is, at least so far, the best VR game I ever played.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
chapter 3 now, really really enjoying it, but fuck if this isn't the first VR game that's given me both headaches and stomach aches. God dammit. Love it otherwise but fuck it's doing a number on me, never had that before at all.

Are you using teleport or some of the other options? I get motion sickness very easily and have had absolutely no problem in this game with the standard teleport.