• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
Has anyone here tried playing this with a CV1 Oculus Rift? That's what I have and I've read that it's not a recommended headset but should work ok-ish. Any hands on?

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to play for a little while. Definitely enjoying it so far. The main mechanic has become kind of addicting honestly. Fun to just fling shit right into your hand. Need to develop my VR legs a bit more though cuz I needed a break after about an hour and a half.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The biggest improvement is gunplay. It can't really be explained how much more involved and outright fun guns are in VR than in any other medium. There is a component of manual dexterity, actual physical skill involved. It outright can't be translated to non-VR without losing basically everything that makes it great. There is some real intensity as you fumble around to load shotgun shells during a firefight.
I can aim fairly well in modern FPS games and the like but I have absolute shit aim in VR since I'm just not used to needing the manual dexterity involved. It's fucking nuts.

Also, has anyone else tried to use their legs to move things around without realizing what you're doing? I was trying to scoot a large crate and went to go kick at it to give it a little extra push lol. Never had that experience in VR and it made me feel real silly.

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play for a little while. Definitely enjoying it so far. The main mechanic has become kind of addicting honestly. Fun to just fling shit right into your hand. Need to develop my VR legs a bit more though cuz I needed a break after about an hour and a half.

If you can play for that long sustained, then I'd say you have your legs. Some people can only play for 10-30 minutes at a time. I can go for like an hour, hour and a half, and then I need a bit of a break (playing room scale on your feet also contributes to the need), and I've had VR for a while now (including PSVR)

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched a guy on twitch spend 10 mins trying to avoid a head crab because he was doing a pacifist run only to get frustrated and kill the head crab by grabbing it mid jump and throwing it against a wall. This game is prime for meme runs.

Jan 9, 2018
After an hour and 20 mins I'm not loving it but it's solid
I've played a large amount of VR so maybe it's that.
It's sitting in the high 7 area so far for me.
Performance is perfect
I know the game will expand and throw so curve balls but I'm in the middle right now. Running on oculus rift as well.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can aim fairly well in modern FPS games and the like but I have absolute shit aim in VR since I'm just not used to needing the manual dexterity involved. It's fucking nuts.

Also, has anyone else tried to use their legs to move things around without realizing what you're doing? I was trying to scoot a large crate and went to go kick at it to give it a little extra push lol. Never had that experience in VR and it made me feel real silly.

There's a reason I always recommend Space Pirate Trainer to people. Conceptually, it's nothing more than galaga in VR. A wave space shooter. The really only novel thing it does, it that it's in VR and thus you have manual dexterity. Yet, that change is so enormous that it carries the title. Being able to manually aim in VR with your hands is a strong enough change to let a game devote essentially the entirety of it's "gimmick" to it and retains its fun factor, shit, 5 years later now. I still play Space Pirate Trainer, because gunplay in VR is extremely compelling.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Having some more issues now.

When I first load in all the textures will be fine but as I move further into the level textures simply never load in properly and look incredibly low res and out of place. My settings are still on High/Ultra.

Also still getting that Low GPU memory which I'm not sure why since there is plenty of free memory when running the game.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Has anyone here tried playing this with a CV1 Oculus Rift? That's what I have and I've read that it's not a recommended headset but should work ok-ish. Any hands on?

I'm using a Cv1. it works just fine. My gripes are with it and not the game, just wish it had higher resolution - but the game looks incredible on it just the same

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This may be the only time I think I'm seeing a difference with owning a pcie 4.0 SSD lol. 3 - 4 minutes to unpack.

Still stuck at work though :(

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Tweaked from settings and it runs better now. A couple drops here and there but it's rare and I can barely tell (as opposed to when that happens in other games). I'm usually sick in 15 mins of VR but i played 1.5 hours of this and I feel great. Gravity gloves rule too

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
The facial animation in this game is absurdly good. Took a break at the start of Chapter 3. Virtual Desktop + Quest was stuttery for me, but I've had no issues running things on Ultra wired in through Link. This game is magical and everything I was hoping for. Love the character interactions and the pacing so much. Seeing appropriately scaled characters up close is terrifying and amazing.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
People need to try the other movement options, because the teleport/blink movement is super non-immersive in these games. I'm using slide movement--where you point at a location and when you let go the character physically moves to that location--and it's a really happy medium between teleporting around and using full analog. I still get to see the entire environment and I'm not blinking around constantly. The full analog often makes me feel pretty sick in closed quarters, which this game mostly is.

tl;dr: people need to look into the other movement options because blink/teleport doesn't feel ideal for this game.
The slide movement is what I am using now and it feels really good. Usually I go fully analog with movement but the slide works really well.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Omg this game is amazing. A real next gen game and its Half Life. I couldn't be happier with it.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely bananas when you see those combine for the first time. I actually felt my self tense on when I was confronted by them. The scale of everything is so insane, I just cant believe it. Valve has once again revolutionized the genre. I've only just begun really, but I've spent 2 hours just checking out all the rooms, top to bottom, searching every corner of the room for resin. The detail and interactivity of everything is nuts.

Anyone else play with the markers on the window when they first started? I was amazing how accurate the input was. Lol

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Impressions after several hours: without question the best VR game to date, impeccable sound design (best use of binaural audio in VR hands down), the visuals are goddamn gorgeous practically photo realistic in parts, this is no surprise but almost every encounter with a headcrab feels as chilling as the first, it is legitimately spooky which as a horror nut I'm thankful for. I felt a sense of ecstatic joy just from being immersed in the world, it really is that convincing and transportive and leagues beyond most other VR titles in terms of world building and atmosphere (obviously City 17 helps). Need to take a break now because I'm so damn sucked in I'd probably finish it in one sitting but this is something I want to savor and pace out more over a few days. Valve has done it and there wasn't much doubt. Half-Life is back!

Other thoughts: the character animation on Russell looks like some next level shit, they really have advanced their facial animation system a bunch from HL2.

All the little mechanical details and moving parts is a nice continuation from Portal 2.

If you aren't using a headset with attached headphones already you absolutely must find a decent pair to experience Alyx with, seriously this is probably the best sound design and 3d audio I've heard in a game period. At the beginning just hearing a
strider
lumber into view was one of the most oh shit moments I've had in VR to date, and a lot of that is owed to the audio.

To reiterate this is next level VR game design ya'll. Just across the board polish. Can't wait to go back in again later.

Oct 27, 2017
The facial animation in this game is absurdly good. Took a break at the start of Chapter 3. Virtual Desktop + Quest was stuttery for me, but I've had no issues running things on Ultra wired in through Link. This game is magical and everything I was hoping for. Love the character interactions and the pacing so much. Seeing appropriately scaled characters up close is terrifying and amazing.
So happy to hear this. Source 1 had such amazing facial animations.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm in Chapter 5, finding it a little easy so might bump it up above Normal but also just absolutely loving it. There's been some incredible set pieces already and the sounds in this game take me back to the early 2000's so quickly.

Olly

May 13, 2018

When I first load in all the textures will be fine but as I move further into the level textures simply never load in properly and look incredibly low res and out of place. My settings are still on High/Ultra.

Also still getting that Low GPU memory which I'm not sure why since there is plenty of free memory when running the game.

Do you have any background processes that might be using GPU memory?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
People need to try the other movement options, because the teleport/blink movement is super non-immersive in these games. I'm using slide movement--where you point at a location and when you let go the character physically moves to that location--and it's a really happy medium between teleporting around and using full analog. I still get to see the entire environment and I'm not blinking around constantly. The full analog often makes me feel pretty sick in closed quarters, which this game mostly is.

tl;dr: people need to look into the other movement options because blink/teleport doesn't feel ideal for this game.
How does slide movement not make you just as sick as full analog? Is it a little smoother or something?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK

That's presence! :D

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, I've kicked at a few crates lol. Also, there's one train car thats on an incline. Going back down, I found myself leaning backwards to balance myself, it's insane

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK

How much Vram you got? Its using 10.5gb of my 1080ti on ultra textures.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How does slide movement not make you just as sick as full analog? Is it a little smoother or something?
It feels smoother and I go precisely where I want to go. My hands shake like a mofo and I move my head around a little too much for either analog option to feel steady. It makes me feel like I'm getting vaguely sea-sick when I use them.

Goddamn right. It's the reason I love VR as much as I do. The immersion is extremely next level.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, surprised how well it's running on my 1070 in ultra. I haven't checked my FPS, but I haven't seen a single hiccup yet. Just flawless.

Oct 25, 2017
i just played the first section and, and i'm totally a ridiculous human being, but i was kind of in awe? like holy shit, i can't believe they actually did this.

for anyone reading this for whom its relevant: i played with an oculus quest with link, and after restarting once, it played flawlessly with a i5 6600K and a GTX 1080 on high settings.

i have to go to work, but man, wow.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels smoother and I go precisely where I want to go. My hands shake like a mofo and I move my head around a little too much for either analog option to feel steady. It makes me feel like I'm getting vaguely sea-sick when I use them.

Goddamn right. It's the reason I love VR as much as I do. The immersion is extremely next level.

The classic example of VR presence thus far has been the budget cuts demo, when people inevitably try to put their face through the floor because they think there's a hole there.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any background processes that might be using GPU memory?

I don't think so.

How much Vram you got? Its using 10.5gb of my 1080ti on ultra textures.

Assuming I looked in the right place I see this:

VI2ujiZ.png

Is this not enough?

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone trying this with a 970 want to comment on performance? I'd need to move my whole computer setup to get VR working again and I'm assuming I should just wait till an upgrade anyways given the game's reqs.

I'm running it on a 970 & overclocked 2600k @ 4.1ghz, everything on Low apart from the Textures on Medium. Runs pretty consistently at 90 unless lot'ss of enemies turn up but it does settle down; I've played 2 hours and enjoyed it thoroughly. Tempted to lock it to 45 and see how I cope so I can turn some settings up.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing wirelessly with my wireless adapter is so good. I love those moments when I take the headset off and I'm in a completely different part of the room than I thought I was in. Having absolutely no wires or tether makes it so easy to get lost in the world. You feel like you're there.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried my pc was going to struggle with this but on low fidelity it runs great.. until I crashed grabbing something from the backpack

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
After an hour, I have to say that I'm underwhelmed... I've played enough VR games that the VR gimmicks don't impress me any longer and if this was a non-VR game I wouldn't be impressed by it.

It's well done for what it is, but I don't think it's anything special at all.... at least not after the first hour!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying it so far, my only complaint is that you can't remove the weapon attachments once they've been equipped. I'd really like to remove the reflex sight off of the pistol because it was way easier to aim with just the iron sights.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you can play for that long sustained, then I'd say you have your legs. Some people can only play for 10-30 minutes at a time. I can go for like an hour, hour and a half, and then I need a bit of a break (playing room scale on your feet also contributes to the need), and I've had VR for a while now (including PSVR)
Fair enough, I just started feeling a bit off so I saved and shut down. Hoping to hop back in a bit more later perhaps.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Playing wirelessly with my wireless adapter is so good. I love those moments when I take the headset off and I'm in a completely different part of the room than I thought I was in. Having absolutely no wires or tether makes it so easy to get lost in the world. You feel like you're there.

Yes, I invested in the HTC Wireless kit last year and since then I've struggled to consider even any other headset (aside from a Vive Pro) because I cannot...will not....go back to being tethered.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I'm forcing myself to stop for the night since it's quarter past 9 and I dont wanna be playing to close to when I go to sleep but holy shit, I've played about 2 hours and it's everything I could imagine.

The only complaint so far is that I couldn't always seem to grab more ammo from my shoulder when I needed it in the heat of the moment which was obviously fairly crucial.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
does anybody know how to make the spectator window full screen? Not the Steam VR mirror, but the one the game itself creates that displays the HUD and allows smooth movement for viewers.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I invested in the HTC Wireless kit last year and since then I've struggled to consider even any other headset (aside from a Vive Pro) because I cannot...will not....go back to being tethered.
I could have gotten a valve index headset, but passed because I refuse to go back to a wired setup. Fully wireless PC VR is my absolute minimum.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Played about 3 hours and had to take a break, VR is a ton of work. Absolutely incredible game. Took a half day at work tomorrow so I can just play it all day.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So about how long is the campaign? I'm interested but I'm hesitant to buy if it is really short for full price.