• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish I had a PCVR setup right bout now. Watched maybe the first hour of the game on twitch and wow is it high quality.

My sister has a Vibe, really pushing her to get this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a total dumbass. I can't get past
the vort eye/push button puzzle
Somebody spoil it for me, I want to move the fuck on please, thx.
If it is the one to open the vault to the Quarantine zone::

You need to put the things out and then rotate them so that the light goes through both of them

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel like a total dumbass. I can't get past
the vort eye/push button puzzle
Somebody spoil it for me, I want to move the fuck on please, thx.
If it's the one I'm thinking about, look directly towards the drawing of a person in the middle. I don't remember the precise sequence, but the solution is almost directly to the left of it.

This game uses some old Valve logic about puzzles. Let your eyes follow light sources and drift where they will. The moment you overthink it is the moment you miss the answer. I got stuck on a puzzle for like 15 minutes because I was overthinking it massively, despite them showing me the solution almost immediately.

My biggest tip after playing for 3 hours is to not take the environmental interaction for granted. Busting open a window so you can lean out and shoot a zombie before you open a door is absolutely incredible. It's why the game wouldn't work outside of VR.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I knew this game was going to be great after:

1. The first view you get of city 17
  2. Being able to crush cans with my hand (index)
  3. Write with a felt pen on a window and erase it again
  4. Feed a "thing" in a terrarium
All that in the first 10 minutes!

The index controllers feel incredibly well integrated. I hope a lot of future vr games will use this as an reference on movement and interaction.

The game also looks incredibly good for an vr game. Playing it on an og vive, 2080 and 16gb ram.

One of the rare games where you feel like a presence inside the game!

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
this game is absolutely incredible, VR or not this might be one of the best looking games I've ever played, this is nuts.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Anyone else with the index constantly losing their left hand when you two-hand grip your weapon? Not lose tracking, I mean Alyx herself lets go...I dunno If i should be even gripping or just letting my hand rest underneath my right hand?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Fired it up for a bit on the Oculus Quest using Virtual Desktop to play wirelessly. Works really well, didn't have a ton of time to spend on it since I'm officially working from home, will hop back in later when I'm done for the day.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
Holy shit I had high expectations and am still blown away. The flow of the combat is so good, how something as simple as reloading your gun becomes so intense in the middle of a fight. I just want to keep playing more and more.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this game was going to be great after:

1. The first view you get of city 17
  2. Being able to crush cans with my hand (index)
  3. Write with a felt pen on a window and erase it again
  4. Feed a "thing" in a terrarium
All that in the first 10 minutes!

The index controllers feel incredibly well integrated. I hope a lot of future vr games will use this as an reference on movement and interaction.

The game also looks incredibly good for an vr game. Playing it on an og vive, 2080 and 16gb ram.

One of the rare games where you feel like a presence inside the game!

how dare you, that "thing" is an adorable
snark
from the first game >:(

unless I totally missed the terrarium you're talking about lol

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The in-game smoothing is fine and doesn't impact the experience inside the headset.

The extra CVARs, however, are another story. I tried them and nearly fell over with an immediate need to vomit. It's clear not made to be used that way.
CVAR? What's that? Must have missed that setting

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's bugged. You are supposed to be able to disable snap-turning but can't at the moment.

Oh okay I was wondering about that too. Like I disabled it and it still didn't work. Thought I was missing something.

With the Quest I like that I can turn freely IRL but sometimes in the moment I want to turn with analog.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not playing, no VR available but from streams my impressions are:

- Probably more immersive in a VR headset. The warping can make the game appear jumbled at times.
- The narrative approach of radio chatter, oft-spoken protagonist and "huh-hoh, joke, joke" style Portal humor is not doing it for me. It lacks that Half Life tone to it.
- The graphics are alright but that's now why we're here.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at this question for the umpteenth time, hah. They tested both. Floating hands were the better alternative to janky arms with the current available tech. If you don't latch onto it, your brain will readily ignore the arm-less-ness, as you are focused on interaction and other things on the screen. It feels far more natural than improperly tracked arms.
lol and holy shit at the answer for the umpteenth time.

i get it. i've never used VR in my life. never meant to knock the game or anything was just genuinely wondering.

i would hope it isnt as dizzying as im seein in danny o dwyers vids too when you're actually in it. biggest takeaway is that i prolly need to try it to see without watching vids of it

Oct 27, 2017

- Probably more immersive in a VR headset. The warping can make the game appear jumbled at times.
- The narrative approach of radio chatter, oft-spoken protagonist and "huh-hoh, joke, joke" style Portal humor is not doing it for me. It lacks that Half Life tone to it.
There's no probably about this.

VirtualReach

Jul 21, 2019
Manged to get in 110 minutes before my controllers died on me.

Holy shit this game is fantastic! The sound design, the sense of scale and interactivity are top tier. Valve have done a great job of making the object physics, in terms of throwing and flicking, as close to reality as I've seen so far. Usually in VR games I have no idea how far an object I throw will go but everything has been intuitive so far

I'm playing on Quest via Link and have had 0 issues with the streaming. The game is really making me want to buy an Index though...Must...Resist....

The in-game hands are wonky with the touch controller, their implementation for Oculus controls leaves a lot of room for improvement in terms of the different gripping/resting animations. Seems like something that could reasonably be patched though. Considering that next gen VR devices will probably be gravitating to more Index-like controllers in the future it's understandable.

Picking up a corpse and shaking it while looking for ammo was equally gross and hilarious. I haven't laughed this much playing a game in a lonnngggg time. Valve have still got it.

Can't wait to play more and hope this helps push VR forward. We're still 1-2 gens of headsets away from reaching the mainstream gamer market IMO

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow, this is so good. I can't believe how immersive this is. and the fidelity of all the environments. just fucking... incredible

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ah I take it he tried to use the console from within the HMD instead of a monitor then?

Nah. He means he used the commands to get trailer-like movement smoothing (which is beyond what you can achieve with the in-game options, as the game isn't at all supposed to be played like that) and found the gameplay experience to be incredibly disorienting.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

People need to try the other movement options, because the teleport/blink movement is super non-immersive in these games. I'm using slide movement--where you point at a location and when you let go the character physically moves to that location--and it's a really happy medium between teleporting around and using full analog. I still get to see the entire environment and I'm not blinking around constantly. The full analog often makes me feel pretty sick in closed quarters, which this game mostly is.

tl;dr: people need to look into the other movement options because blink/teleport doesn't feel ideal for this game.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dam I'm staying away from Spoilers and Streams, but the impressions all are overwhelmingly positive which is amazing. Might have to convince a friend a borrow is in order...

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
About to dive in. I have an Oculus CV1 with Touch and 3 sensors. RTX 2060, i7 6700 (non K), 16gm ram. Will report back with performance once I get a chance to play. I have never really played Half Life before, so I hope I dont need to know much about the previous games to get the story.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Just played for >2 hours, still extremely good game. But holy shit, it is a REALLY intense atmosphere throughout so far....
When you get the Flashlight it gets dark, you can't see shit outside of the flashlight sometimes :D

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Getting no audio from my Valve Index as soon as I got home from work, because why would everything just work....

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? My sound settings simply show "steam streaming audio" instead of the Valve index HMD audio
You have probably got it sorted by now but pull the breakaway cable out and back in and that should sort it.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
This is just a crazy experience. Like the vr aspect completely changes everything. I find myself wanting to just explore and look at the environment more than I have in every other game. The art direction has been stunning as well. Like, I can't believe how good the set pieces are it's fucking amazing. Taking off the googles and looking at it on my monitor flat is an entirely different thing, not comparable in the slightest. Just fucking wow. Even with everything set to low it still looks incredibly real. The texturing, lighting and materials are blowing my mind right now. My only gripe is with my headset. I think it's too low Rez for my eyes and I got intense eye strain after just an hour. Gotta take a big break to refresh myself. I think if I had a better set it would be even more mind blowing. That and repositioning my setup so I had more than two feet around me. But first impressions, just wow.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Kind of funny, after my session I played some Warzone and Doom....I want to pick up everything but I can't...LOL

wYlF4u1.jpg

Let me pick the boxes up!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More than 6 years after my first modern VR experiences, and the thing about VR that still gets me every time is how scale translates. Scale you can't approximate on a conventional screen. The combine look 8 feet tall now. They are massive.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody else with AMD having issues with Oculus Link? It locks up and crashes every 10 min or so....Event Viewer seems to indicate AMD driver crash.

Oct 25, 2017
lol, this game has some seriously fucking scary shit in it, and it's not just "moments" of horror either; there are sustained, scary segments of this game. Chapter 3 is a nightmare lol

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just a crazy experience. Like the vr aspect completely changes everything.

The biggest improvement is gunplay. It can't really be explained how much more involved and outright fun guns are in VR than in any other medium. There is a component of manual dexterity, actual physical skill involved. It outright can't be translated to non-VR without losing basically everything that makes it great. There is some real intensity as you fumble around to load shotgun shells during a firefight.