• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are these streams making anyone else dizzy or is that just me?

It's why you shouldn't watch someone play VR on a tv or any screen for a long time. The camera is mapped to their head. Any slight movement they make is shown. But it only works for them, not the person watching. For instance, say they are going to cock their head to the side, they are ready for it because their brain has already subconscious decided that movement. You however, have no way of telling from moment to moment which direction the camera will move, and all those little jittery movements that someone's head naturally makes add up to you over-taxing your eyes and your brain struggling to make sense and keep track of it.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Shit the game is glorious on my Samsung HMD Odyssey +. Playing on my Zephyrus S and so far it's smooth sailing @ max settings + supersampling.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's why you shouldn't watch someone play VR on a tv or any screen for a long time. The camera is mapped to their head. Any slight movement they make is shown. But it only works for them, not the person watching. For instance, say they are going to cock their head to the side, they are ready for it because their brain has already subconscious decided that movement. You however, have no way of telling from moment to moment which direction the camera will move, and all those little jittery movements that someone's head naturally makes add up to you over-taxing your eyes and your brain struggling to make sense and keep track of it.

There's a spectator settings menu, but the guide does note that smoothing out movement to the degree seen in official gameplay videos introduces display lag inside the headset, so there's a bit of a compromise to be made when streaming live gameplay.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am speechless. This is mind-blowing. Getting my random micro-stutters here and there very randomly, but nothing too bad so I won't tarnish the experience with troubleshooting. I just want to play this game.

Everything else works perfectly except free rotation. But I am fine with moving my head/body and using 60° for fine-tuning. And holy shit is this game a looker. This is an entirely new quality for VR. The graphics, the image quality, the polish, the immersion, the production value ... holy shit. This is next-gen for me. Next-gen can't reach that feeling without VR.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Well i'm an idiot. I jumped in RL to catch the pistol and ended up scratching the ceiling at the same time as grinding the vive wand. Suffice to say the immersion is great.
My buddy did the exact thing try to swat a balloon in The Lab. I was laughing my ass off but also secretly wondering if the controller was damaged. I didn't want him to feel bad about it because it happens to everyone.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Amazing so far, played for about 2 hours and taking a break because my head is so sweaty.

No spoilers but I love the dude you meet in Chapter 2

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Got up early this morning so I could give it a go. Played two hours. Loving it.
I'm playing on Vive, game runs well, despite my older rig. Defaulted to low fidelity, which still looks fantastic.

I'd love to somehow play this all day instead of working from home but I think they would notice haha. Might have to continue tonight after my son goes to bed.

Now I don't know when I'll get back to Doom Eternal.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first session, the game runs flawlessly on the highest settings with supersampling set to 130%. Got a 2080Ti and 9700K.

The shooting feels great and all the objects you can interact with makes it so much more immersive. The physics are really good.
I wish I had the index controllers, because my vive controllers keep bumping into each other when I reload.

Flicking objects back to you feels perfect.

The last level I finished was basically pitch black and all the light you have was a small flashlight on your glove, there were some really hectic moments there. :P

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
The computer in Russell's lab I'm pretty sure has the actual gameplay code for the gravity gloves on it.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Should be required knowledge because it's very important.

It's also worth noting that many (read: all) VR games are run better at 90/120 fps because it's important for head movement to be smooth (For the reasons listed above). Not only is it not your head, but the framerates on Twitch/YouTube are only going to be 60fps with added possible frame drops.

This means that VR games are ESPECIALLY hard to watch as a spectator. As someone who does have motion sickness issues, I hope that people don't think that their issues watching a stream translate to actually playing the game in 90 or 120 fps.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a spectator settings menu, but the guide does note that smoothing out movement to the degree seen in official gameplay videos introduces display lag inside the headset, so there's a bit of a compromise to be made when streaming live gameplay.
The in-game smoothing is fine and doesn't impact the experience inside the headset.

The extra CVARs, however, are another story. I tried them and nearly fell over with an immediate need to vomit. It's clear not made to be used that way.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
This is truly the next generation. This kind of graphics fidelity for a VR game is blowing my mind right now.

Dec 14, 2019
Not that many are playing this on Steam at the moment. The numbers of people watching it on Twitch is high. Going VR only was such a missed opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Oculus Rift CV1, damn. I should invest in an Index because this headset is very uncomfortable.

The game is really interesting with all this interactivity of the environment. Only on chapter 2 though. Gunplay feels good but I'm constantly a bit surprised by the audio.

Is it binaural audio?

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried this on an (overclocked) i5 2500k? I realize this processor is ancient by now, but I'm still curious if it's worth trying if the rest of the system meets or exceeds the system requirements (GTX1080, 16GB RAM, SSD, Vive). If it seriously hampers the experiences, I'll wait and buy the game when I upgrade my PC sometime next year.

Oct 25, 2017
do we have a centralized post with performance info for Oculus Quest? my game is still decrypting/unzipping, but performance has always been questionable for me with steamvr

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, thank you for the explanation. I'll hold back on watching.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, the Steam forums are filled with a bunch of losers crying about the VR requirement.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, I'm so torn. Im a freelancer and lost like all my work recently... but I've been looking forward to this game for a while...

I think I have to wait on it :(

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
do we have a centralized post with performance info for Oculus Quest? my game is still decrypting/unzipping, but performance has always been questionable for me with steamvr

Only can speak for myself but outside of the weird audio bug I mentioned earlier the performance for me on Quest has been great.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
hi all,
this might be dumb, but i want to change the right thumbstick to continuous movement like in a normal fps, not the snap turn.

I've tried turning that off in the settings but it didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
hi all,
this might be dumb, but i want to change the right thumbstick to continuous movement like in a normal fps, not the snap turn.

Any ideas?

It's bugged. You are supposed to be able to disable snap-turning but can't at the moment.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
hi all,

Any ideas?

Change your dominant hand in the settings.

EDIT; Didn't know there was snap turning issues.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
This is truly the next generation. This kind of graphics fidelity for a VR game is blowing my mind right now.
Yup. It's gorgeous, and because it's HL, still feels so familiar. Zombies are legit scary when you have to manually operate your gun.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Fucking incredible game. Been playing it with some friends watching and the spectator options are great. Folks were NOT kidding about it being horror-esque though. I've had to stop and breathe several times and just now I have to take a LEGITIMATE break because it got an actual, loud scream out of me. Fuck headcrabs.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
When I started the game I got a popup that I didn't meet the required specs (but I do), but now I see a new nvidia driver was released, guess that should fix things.

I was planning on playing this sitting down, but that doesn't feel right for this game so I'm standing. It's incredible though, feels so good to be back in this world, and VR makes it even bigger.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a total dumbass. I can't get past
the vort eye/push button puzzle
Somebody spoil it for me, I want to move the fuck on please, thx.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone trying this with a 970 want to comment on performance? I'd need to move my whole computer setup to get VR working again and I'm assuming I should just wait till an upgrade anyways given the game's reqs.

Oct 27, 2017
It's bugged. You are supposed to be able to disable snap-turning but can't at the moment.
Oh, thank god, I was wondering what the setting was for considering disabling it didn't really seem to do anything.

I'm still very, very early in the game but I'm not quite getting the interactivity I felt from Lone Echo in this which I thought it would at least be on par with. Again, very early in the game so that could change a lot.