• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
First 30 min: mindblown. Had to take a break to let it sink in. Works well on medium settings with 980Ti/6700k although I haven't hit a bunch of action yet.

I've played a lot of VR, had the most tingles in this first half hour than I've ever had elsewhere. This is the fucking future.
huh, defaulted to low for me with GTX 1080/6700k, did you manually change it? what's your SteamVR supersampling set to?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Any early graphical settings tips? What is more demanding or what can be turned down without much visual loss

why do they go w the floaty rayman hands look? couldn't they include arms or something to make it more immersive
Only showing hands actually makes it more immersive when you're actually playing in virtual reality, those hands are floating in front of you 1:1 with your actual hands/controllers so it feels right and immersive, and your brain fills in the missing arms, you just don't notice or care that they're missing. Putting arms there connecting your hands to the camera takes you out of the experience because it doesn't match your actual arms position most of the time. Floating hands only look "bad" when watching someone play on youtube and if you have no idea what things look like in VR.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Game definitely suffers quite badly from visual compression artefacts when using the Quest + Link but your mind definitely overlooks it unless it's almost completely pitch black. The graphics, though, are absolutely incredible and it's by far the best running VR game I've tried (outside of stuff like Beat Saber) despite it simultaneously being one of the best looking. Valve are masters at optimisation and polish, it seems.

As for the game itself... oh boy this is good. The level of interactivity on display is just incredible and it 100% has Valve's incredible level of pacing and level design.

I was up against an armoured headcrab and, instead of shooting it, I managed to incapacitate it with a box. That's something you could never do with just a flat screen, and it was amazing.

Nov 1, 2017
I have a serious phobia when it comes to creepy crawlies so I'm kidding myself that I'll actually finish this thing, but Jesus, Alyx is impressive. I've played for about an hour and I've loved every second of it.

Tech-wise, I'm using an Index with a 2080 Ti and it's buttery smooth maxed at 150% SS.

Last edited:

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait... you're joking right? Snap turning is an absolute dealbreaker for me, it totally ruins immersion and disorients me when I'm playing.

Nope. I am sitting on my couch right now not sure I want to even continue. It would be worth it to push through but what if someone mods smooth turning in somehow? I'd wait a year to play without snap turning. I was sooooo hyped, ugh.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Runs like butter on Ryzen 5 3600+ and Radeon VII using Oculus Link. Defaulted to high settings, just left it there.

spent 5 minutes drawing on the glass

also really like how they gave things weight. It makes the motions not match one to one but feels more immersive.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Any GTX 970 performance impressions? Waiting on my Quest to update and then I have two meetings so I won't be able to play for a couple of hours :(

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
huh, defaulted to low for me with GTX 1080/6700k, did you manually change it? what's your SteamVR supersampling set to?

It defaulted me to low as well, probably does so just based on hardware...I've just spent 3 years tinkering with stuff ;)

I'm playing on a Rift CV1 so if you're playing on something with higher resolution it would make sense to keep it on low/mid. Actually I set a couple things to low (things like shadows/particles I think?) Like I said, I may have to lower it if busy scenes start to slow my framerate.

As far as I know, SteamVR settings don't apply to Oculus headsets, so it's just native resolution (I don't have it supersampled through Oculus Debug tool either). But I changed it to match my headset resolution just in case, so it is well below 100% to match my native resolution (100% on SteamVR is considerably higher than native res for whatever reason).

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck why is my unpacking taking three more hours. It's been unpacking since release ahhhhh

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Game defaulted me to High settings on my GTX 1080 + 9700k + 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz on a Index @ 80hz w/ 100% SS
Changed Audio, Character Model, and Texture quality from High to Ultra
Have had an occasional hitch but its been smooth sailing for the most part

Game is absolutely breath taking though and probably has the best graphics of any VR game to date. Everything about this is blowing me away right now. My only complaints so far are that I wish my ammo was on my waist/belt instead of back, smooth turning is broken right now(?), and I wish I could sprint

Holden

Oct 25, 2017
how do you store ammo? says to release over your shoulder...? does not work im confused

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I've done is get the gun and interact with every single object in the world. The level of fidelity is incredible, and somehow free movement doesn't bother me at all, even ladders. Comparatively I would have already yakked if I was playing Boneworks.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaints so far are that I wish my ammo was on my built, smooth turning is broken right now(?)

Do you think it's just temporarily broken? You may be right because there is that option that seems like it should turn snap turning off but seems to do nothing instead. I would be hugely relieved if smooth turning was coming at some point, I'm probably done playing for now until I hear more.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's just temporarily broken? You may be right because there is that option that seems like it should turn snap turning off but seems to do nothing instead. I would be hugely relieved if smooth turning was coming at some point, I'm probably done playing for now until I hear more.
Yeah I expect it'll be fixed. Maybe even today lol

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only issue I have is the teleport functionality still existing on the thumbstick on the continuous locomotion setting. I hit it by accident pretty often. Maybe as I play more it won't be as big of an issue.

Leeroy605

Oct 30, 2017
This game is incredible. My god. The interactivity, graphics, sound and atmosphere all come together so well. It's half life through and through.

Although saying that I am already stuck. Can anyone help? I imagine I am being stupid...

The section where you first see which I presume to be vortigaunt hieroglyphics in the canal. There's a power box with many yellow buttons on it. How do I progress from this area?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
It defaulted me to low as well, probably does so just based on hardware...I've just spent 3 years tinkering with stuff ;)

I'm playing on a Rift CV1 so if you're playing on something with higher resolution it would make sense to keep it on low/mid. Actually I set a couple things to low (things like shadows/particles I think?) Like I said, I may have to lower it if busy scenes start to slow my framerate.

As far as I know, SteamVR settings don't apply to Oculus headsets, so it's just native resolution (I don't have it supersampled through Oculus Debug tool either). But I changed it to match my headset resolution just in case, so it is well below 100% to match my native resolution (100% on SteamVR is considerably higher than native res for whatever reason).
right, thanks. Running OG Vive with about 130% SteamVR SS, so I'll just leave it at that, games look fucking fantastic even on low.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Game is absolutely breath taking though and probably has the best graphics of any VR game to date. Everything about this is blowing me away right now. My only complaints so far are that I wish my ammo was on my waist/belt instead of back, smooth turning is broken right now(?), and I wish I could sprint

The most likely reason they made it behind the shoulder instead of waist is because tracking doesn't know where your waist is turned. Multiplayer shooters like pavlov/onward have decent solutions, but it is awkward at times. You have to sometimes move forward for your waist to properly match up with your real body.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Works well on medium settings with 980Ti/6700k although I haven't hit a bunch of action yet.

I've played a lot of VR, had the most tingles in this first half hour than I've ever had elsewhere. This is the fucking future.

*dabs forehead*

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The most likely reason they made it behind the shoulder instead of waist is because tracking doesn't know where your waist is. Multiplayer shooters like pavlov/onward have decent solutions, but it is awkward at times. You have to sometimes move forward for your waist to properly match up with your real body.
I keep instinctively reaching for my waist because of my hours in Pavlov :x

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why do they go w the floaty rayman hands look? couldn't they include arms or something to make it more immersive
Holy shit at this question for the umpteenth time, hah. They tested both. Floating hands were the better alternative to janky arms with the current available tech. If you don't latch onto it, your brain will readily ignore the arm-less-ness, as you are focused on interaction and other things on the screen. It feels far more natural than improperly tracked arms.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of any good no commentary walkthroughs of Half Life Alyx (or folks in the process of one)? May not ever be able to play, just want to experience it.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
It's mindblowing seeing all this familiar stuff not in just a higher fidelity, but in three dimensions.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Smokers they did it! Congrats to Valve. I just played about 75 minutes and it was every bit as amazing as I had imagined.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
GTX1080, i7-6700k, 16GB ram defaulted me to low fidelity presets, and my mind is still blown by the fidelity of the image presented... played about an hour, and break now for some food, but fucking hell this game looks gorgeous.

I'm running a 1070 Ti, i5-8600k and 16GB RAM and mine defaulted to High Fidelity. I've pushed everything to Ultra and it runs without any problems whatsoever.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where is the smooth turning option? I dislike that snap turn. I just want the right stick to behave like a normal camera.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Can't believe this is my first Half Life (since 1) that I won't play week 1. I'm really not in the financial situation to get myself a PC VR.

I hope the OST is good, that's something I can achieve I guess.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to upload screenshots of this game to Steam? I took some but it they don't show up after I exit the game.

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
Anyone played this sitting down? Does it Control ok sitting?
I'm playing with a Samsung Odyssey+ or whatever, seated in pretty tight quarters and it works okay. Definitely have run into some glitches with hand stuff completely spazzing out, but that's likely due to hardware more than anything. Being able to grab items with the gravity gloves almost completely solves any issues I've had with reaching for things, though certain motions and puzzles will still require you to contort yourself somewhat. After about 90 minutes, I'd say the game is still mostly completely fine seated.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Played an hour so far.

Loving it, such a great looking game, so clean in its visual representation and clarity.

Physics are awesome as well and the attention to detail is stunning, especially the knobs on the electronics.

Very impressed.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Watching on twitch, I thought this game only had that weird teleport movement from the trailers, but can see its normal analogue stick to walk. Looks way better.

Senior Lurker

Nov 4, 2017
Just got done with my first session of about 104 minutes.

Based on what I've seen so far: this is everything I have hoped for and more!

It has a similar sense of quiet, anticipatory pace like HL2, with better visuals and a great immersion due to the VR. I played on the most comfortable movement setting as per the menu choice (instant teleport) and had no problems playing a long session. I only stopped because I want to go to bed early and continue tomorrow.

Combat is freaking scary so far and I love it! Especially since reloading is a manual step (I fumbled once when a Zombie got close and I had to run away lol).

It was great to finally see the Valve Software startup logo and sound!

Welcome back HL!

Those of you who are playing; enjoy it mates!

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is it possible to upload screenshots of this game to Steam? I took some but it they don't show up after I exit the game.

Are they not listed in the client? There's a "Screenshots" section on the right-hand side. You may have to scroll down a bit to see it.

Edit: If they're not there, find out where they're saved to, move them to Steam\userdata\[account ID]\760\remote\546560\screenshots, then restart Steam:

hlascreenshotmyjcc.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
Upland
How the fuck did 2 hours fly so fast.....this has set a massive bar....fuck this game is good.

Aside from the visual spectacle, the audio is fucking massive... holy shit they nailed it. That shotgun is probably one of the most satisfying sounds, damn. Charging up and I'm going to dive back in.