• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting in here so I can remember this moment. I bought a Valve Index Kit for this game (and to hopefully get into VR in general) and I could not be more excited. Brother is finishing Episode 2 for the first time in preparation as we speak & I can't wait for him to witness that cliffhanger that had us all in shock so many years ago. Hope you all enjoy the game!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
t1584982800z1.png

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So excited! Put my preorder in Friday and am preloaded now. I'll probably play some during lunch break tomorrow (one benefit of forced work from home).

Also, if you want to chat about HL Alyx or general VR gaming, come check out VR Era discord, link hidden below! If the link does not work, please PM me and I'll make a new one.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know you won't be able to tell until in-game, but is anyone planning on messing with the supersampling in Steam VR for this game? If so, what pc specs do you have and what percentage are you aiming for?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So excited! Put my preorder in Friday and am preloaded now. I'll probably play some during lunch break tomorrow (one benefit of forced work from home).

Also, if you want to chat about HL Alyx or general VR gaming, come check out VR Era discord, link hidden below! If the link does not work, please PM me and I'll make a new one.

[Hidden content]
this invite is expired.

Oct 25, 2017
Supposed to be off tomorrow and Tuesday just for this game. I'm grateful for having a secure job in these times, but this damn coronavirus.

Looking forward to jumping into this game, but might have to wait a bit.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished the HL2 episodes this weekend (yeah, I know) and I'm guessing the reason Valve has said that you probably want to play Episode 2 prior is because Alyx is going to get into why she is important to the Vortigaunts?
I think that's one possibility, but I think there's a couple of others:

1. In the first trailer for Alyx, one of the things Eli says is "Close your eyes, honey." It's the exact same line he says before he dies at the end of Episode 2.

2. The G-man also holds Alyx in some importance...maybe, since he did pluck her from Black Mesa. Given that the trailers have shown him appearing in some capacity, I would guess we may learn something about that. I'm also interested to know if Alyx is aware of the G-man's existence or not. The only clue we got to that was in Episode 2 when he tells her to tell Eli to "Prepare for unforeseen consequences", but seems to not know where she got that message. It's possible she has seen him but thinks he was a hallucination or a dream and chose not to think anything of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get over the fact that this is happening tomorrow. Given what is going on right now in the world I definitely have complex feelings at this moment, but the anticipation here is completely insane for me. I'm ready for this and more than that I feel like I really need it.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I demoed the unnecessary shelving behind my desk to add another 1ft of playspace, knuckles controllers are fully charged and ready, kids screen time locked and loaded for noon tomorrow.... LETS DO THIS!

I LOVE both Boneworks and Saints and Sinners so this is at the top of my list for new releases.

Can'twait.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It seems our hour has come again...

I can't believe this is happening tomorrow. I'l I'm so excited.

I'm really nervous about my PC though... 1060 6GB with a i7-6700HQ, and Quest+Link. I tried selling it to fund a new build, but nobody is buying. If I wind up having to wait, it will be brutal avoiding spoilers and discussion until 3060 or equivalent arrives, because you might as well wait at this point

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I finally finished the HL2 episodes this weekend (yeah, I know) and I'm guessing the reason Valve has said that you probably want to play Episode 2 prior is because Alyx is going to get into why she is important to the Vortigaunts?

TBH and I know it sounds insane, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a swticheroo at some point and you fast forward to some EP3 stuff.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm really nervous about my PC though... 1060 6GB with a i7-6700HQ, and Quest+Link. I tried selling it to fund a new build, but nobody is buying. If I wind up having to wait, it will be brutal avoiding spoilers and discussion until 3060 or equivalent arrives, because you might as well wait at this point

You meet the requirements, think you'll be totally fine.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I want to get ahold of a used vive.

Until then, ill be joining in all the threads hearing your impressions at the risk of spoilers.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

The requirements are likely based on a 90hz refresh, so you will be fine.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Godspeed everyone. Wish I could be a part of this but the entry is just too costly for me. Can a high end iMac in boot camp play this?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, what am I missing? Why wouldn't it be better to download this in advance, assuming that's what "preloading" means?
Unpacking the preload usually takes a decent amount of time. Usually 30 min to an hour but sometimes even longer. This game's size isn't that huge so maybe not overly long. But with a decent download speed it's better to just wait to download at release. It'll probably take just 20 minutes for me.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Are there any spoilers out there? I tried searching for a thread but nothing came up. I'm not interested in VR but incredibly interested in more Half Life so I'd love to find out where this story goes.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I know I'm gonna need breaks in the head crab infested areas, especially if those toxic black rattlesnake sounding ones are about. Ugh. Gonna have fun throwing stuff in barnacle tendrils :D

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
TBH and I know it sounds insane, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a swticheroo at some point and you fast forward to some EP3 stuff.

I firmly believe this is going to be the case and I say this BECAUSE we supposedly have a 15+ hour game coming and we've only seen like maybe 3 locations?

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's heavily encrypted. The unpacking process takes a very long time. In many cases, it's better to just download it at release and not have to worry about that.

I see. Thanks for the response. Well, I probably won't be able to play when it unlocks anyway so the difference in time shouldn't make a huge difference. I just hope it launches without any glitches regarding the use of Oculus Link (I might have purchased the Oculus Rift S just for this game but you can't find the damn thing anywhere).

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I firmly believe this is going to be the case and I say this BECAUSE we supposedly have a 15+ hour game coming and we've only seen like maybe 3 locations?

Agreed, I mean...

Something has to happen for them to insist on the "refresh on the end of Ep:2" comments, and since it's already been stated that Alyx clearly doesn't know that much about the G-Man, I'm ready for stuff to get weird. I'm concerned though that the Edge review suggests that the story isn't that amazing, but after so many years I'll take whatever I can get

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I went to preorder the game and found out just now that I get the game for free since I own the Index. whoo hoo.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see any hint or implication the Laidlaw's Epistle 3 has any relevance in the story. Because that Epistle was a damn good story.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I decided to warmup for Alyx by playing Gorn and I smashed my controller and hand against the wall. A part of the trigger disconnected. It still functions but it doesn't require as much pressure to push down and it can get stuck. I can only imagine what will happen if I hit it again.

Big sad.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I decided to warmup for Alyx by playing Gorn and I smashed my controller and hand against the wall. A part of the trigger disconnected. It still functions but it doesn't require as much pressure to push down and it can get stuck. I can only imagine what will happen if I hit it again.

Big sad.

That's why I stopped playing Echo Arena, nearly broke my hand a couple times. Luckily the Rift CV1 controllers are really durable and sort of block my hand.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wonder if anyone can help me with my Quest + Link setup as I get ready for Alyx tomorrow?

I have a GTX 2060 and a Core i5-9600k and when using the Quest Link usually it runs really well.

But I was trying out The Lab for my first time and I was getting awful VR performance every time it was loading a new level, or if I hit the Home button to go back to Steam VR - it would run at like 2-3 fps and cause all sorts of weird things to happen.

Is this just something which happens with The Lab? Or could there be something I need to configure differently?

In general, it seems like the Quest has some issue with the Steam VR overlay and such. When using pure Oculus stuff it seems to run much better than whenever I load up Steam VR.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
First consumer edition yes. I thought the screen on the quest was better, you think the compression artifacts + latency will make it way worse?

I've been playing Budget Cuts on my Quest using Virtual Desktop on a 5Ghz router, and haven't been bothered by any artifacts, and only the rarest momentary glitch of latency (probably like 3 times total over the course of 50 hours of play, each lasting a second at most). I've been impressed in areas of low light, where I expected to find artifacting, but came away totally impressed. I'd imagine the Link is slightly better in terms of latency, but the Quest/Virtual Desktop wireless setup is how I'm gonna be playing Alyx.

I wonder if anyone can help me with my Quest + Link setup as I get ready for Alyx tomorrow?

I have a GTX 2060 and a Core i5-9600k and when using the Quest Link usually it runs really well.

But I was trying out The Lab for my first time and I was getting awful VR performance every time it was loading a new level, or if I hit the Home button to go back to Steam VR - it would run at like 2-3 fps and cause all sorts of weird things to happen.

Is this just something which happens with The Lab? Or could there be something I need to configure differently?

In general, it seems like the Quest has some issue with the Steam VR overlay and such. When using pure Oculus stuff it seems to run much better than whenever I load up Steam VR.
I've encountered the same thing, and think it's mostly to do with how Unity is loading things in, or in instances of the Portal demo, it's handing off to Source 2 I guess. I've also found a lot of success using the Oculus software to add the Steam games as native shortcuts, rather than launching into Steam VR and then launching into a game. I think you have to check a box that allows 'Unknown Sources' or something on the Oculus side, but that helped me out a lot.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Big sad.

Reminded me of people smashing TV screens with their Wiimotes.

How did you manage to hit the wall like that?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
That's why I stopped playing Echo Arena, nearly broke my hand a couple times. Luckily the Rift CV1 controllers are really durable and sort of block my hand.
Yep some games are too intense. I doubt I'll revisit Gorn because the locomotion makes it harder to keep track of where I am in physical space. I wish the knuckles were more durable. Hopefully I'll be able to RMA after Corona blows over.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a little confused, why are there no reviews for this game yet outside of Edge? Shouldn't metacritic be inundated with reviews before release?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Were you also getting low frames in the SteamVR home environment (modern looking structure with a patio overlooking mountains)? My perf can sometimes dip like this, best advice I can give is close steamvr and steam down, same for Oculus app (may want to try restarting the Oculus service in services under task manager too). Restart pc, Quest, etc you get the idea. Lab runs fine for me on similar setup using Quest and Link fyi.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Reminded me of people smashing TV screens with their Wiimotes.

How did you manage to hit the wall like that?
In Gorn the locomotion is weird so I lost track of where I was in the physical space. The gameplay can get intense as well. Also my chaperone border is easy to look passed when things are intense (and my playspace is pretty small).

It's my fault for choosing immersion over a more noticeable chaperone border.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused, why are there no reviews for this game yet outside of Edge? Shouldn't metacritic be inundated with reviews before release?

Embargo lifts at 10 a.m. PST today. Edge magazine sends a copy out a little earlier to subscribers. That's the only reason why their score is floating around.

Last edited:

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've encountered the same thing, and think it's mostly to do with how Unity is loading things in, or in instances of the Portal demo, it's handing off to Source 2 I guess. I've also found a lot of success using the Oculus software to add the Steam games as native shortcuts, rather than launching into Steam VR and then launching into a game. I think you have to check a box that allows 'Unknown Sources' or something on the Oculus side, but that helped me out a lot.

Ooo, interesting, thanks! I'll try this out. I already had to enable "unknown sources" just to launch Steam VR at all but I didn't realize I could launch Steam games without first loading the Steam VR UI.

Were you also getting low frames in the SteamVR home environment (modern looking structure with a patio overlooking mountains)? My perf can sometimes dip like this, best advice I can give is close steamvr and steam down, same for Oculus app (may want to try restarting the Oculus service in services under task manager too). Restart pc, Quest, etc you get the idea. Lab runs fine for me on similar setup using Quest and Link fyi.
The SteamVR home environment itself ran well. It just seemed to get screwed up temporarily while transitioning from one thing to the other.

FWIW SteamVR used to run horribly for me, but then I realized it was because my PC was set to 4K resolution and SteamVR was picking that up automatically. Once I scaled my desktop resolution down to 1080p, SteamVR worked great (except for while loading stuff)

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

Depending on the game, SteamVR can give Oculus headsets trouble performance wise(although I never had that problem with the Lab). I'm pretty sure the resolution settings in SteamVR don't affect Rift, but you may want to change them just in case. It often sets your resolution unreasonably high by default, so you may want to lower that to whatever the native resolution of the Quest is. In the "general" tab, also turn off SteamVR Home. I'm not sure what else to change right now since SteamVR got a new UI/big update recently, so I may have to explore that as well. Hopefully it's not something Quest specific causing your problem.