• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

OKAY I'M PRELOADED!

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Doom Eternal, preloaded and connected my Rift S. My body is ready.
Game unlocks at 7 pm where I am so I hope I can spend some time with Black Mesa while I wait.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
First consumer edition yes. I thought the screen on the quest was better, you think the compression artifacts + latency will make it way worse?
Try for yourself, since you have both, but I expect the compression artifacts will be a bigger part than reduced resolution. Plus, you get higher refresh with your Rift.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really torn on whether to watch a playthrough or not. The virus killed my ability to play this for a minimum of months, and I'm almost certainly going to have stuff spoiled in that time. On the other hand, experiencing this game via YouTube just depresses me.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So what is the general consensus regarding preloading? Is it worth it to preload, or just better off to download it once it launches?

Depends on your internet speed and, to a lesser extent, your system specs. As an example, it took 15 minutes for Doom Eternal to unpack on my system (i7 8700K @ 4.7GHz and a Crucial M500 SSD). 41.59GB / 15 minutes = ~46MBps, so if you have a 450Mbps connection or better, then you'd most definitely be better off downloading Alyx at unlock o'clock.

Thanks, I'll plug it back in and report back :)

FYI, you can improve the streaming quality a bit by fiddling with the debug tool that comes with the Oculus client. UploadVR has a guide with recommended settings.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
They added a little bit to the guide, on some advanced techniques - one of which is how Valve captured their gameplay videos, but it will lag your game, so is definitely only making very specific "cinematic" cuts

pQgmYkm.jpg

thats cool i guess hope a good no commentary play-through is on YouTube by Tuesday or Wednesday... that's the only way im experiencing it.

Up to you how you want to do it. If it were me, I'd wait whatever amount of years made sense to me so I could afford to play it myself in the medium it was designed for and conveys the experience as intended, rather than experience it via a standard video the first time.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the folks just watching a video of a playthrough. It's just not the same for VR games. You miss out on the actual physical interactivity.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a few review scores through the grapevines... And it's looking very promising

I'm curious to see how many reviews there will be in total, since VR games generally receive limited coverage. Even big hits like Beat Saber and Boneworks have a very low number of reviews and it seems like Astro Bot might have the highest number of reviews so far (51 reviews on Metacritic).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
My point was that they were an IGN person, but everyone else says they loved what they played so never mind.

Not sure what the problem is. Didn't read anything into that post as much as you have.
FYI, Dan Stapleton is doing the IGN review. I generally quite like his reviews, mostly since we seem to have similar opinions on games and points to be critical about that he explains well. So I'd check his review out - - once I finish the game myself!

Oct 27, 2017
They added a little bit to the guide, on some advanced techniques - one of which is how Valve captured their gameplay videos, but it will lag your game, so is definitely only making very specific "cinematic" cuts

pQgmYkm.jpg

Up to you how you want to do it. If it were me, I'd wait whatever amount of years made sense to me so I could afford to play it myself in the medium it was designed for and conveys the experience as intended, rather than experience it via a standard video the first time.
i have no interest in VR what so ever. soo I doubt it... plus my pc is shit soo it would be 2k plus at minimum for me to get it with the shittiest/cheapest vr set or i could just lay back and watch a no commentary run on MAX settings and be done with it.. which is just the cost of my internet .

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried playing this game with a GPU of only 4GB VRAM? Or does the game prevent you from running it at all?

I have an AMD R9 Nano with 4GB HBM and it has been able to run current gen games and VR titles with no issues. I wouldn't mind getting this game but would be disappointed that I can't even "run" it in the same manner that Quake 2 RTX blocks you from playing it if you don't have an RTX GPU.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm a bit worried about this. My setup is an Oculus Quest + Link connected to an RTX 2070 Super/Ryzen 5 3600 computer. It should be OK, right? However I've definitely been having quite noticeable VR issues in certain games, and things just never seem to run as well as they should. So I'm just concerned that this is going to turn out the same despite my computer being well over the recommended specs...

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished setting my three cameras and all that other junk up, moving my pc into the living room. Such a hassle! Going to be so worth it :)

Time to mess around with some old favorites one more time and prepare for tomorrow!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I was lucky to find a Rift S in time so I'm ready for this tomorrow. You can play this sitting down right?

You can. No idea what the experience would be like. I've only played cockpit style games, platformers and some non-vr games in theatre mode, sat down.
I think after getting over the height / difference of you being sat down but the character stood up + crouching via a button, it should be fine. I do wonder about frantic moments though, when you need to quickly turn and feel present in the world, it might get a bit difficult.
Personally, I get really into physical movement and want to do everything even if it exhausts me, so I'm luck to have room scale setup, or would otherwise do standing.

Work tomorrow is going to be pure torture waiting to get out for this.

Same, though I'm lucky the game launches just 30mins after I finish work, so will be ready to go!

Pretty hyped to watch my favourite streamers to play this and not myself :(

It will be on console VR eventually if you can hold out that long...
I can't wait to see how others react and their play styles / choices for encounters, which is so much more vibrant and diverse in VR.

There are only 2 streamers I watch regularly, and for both a new HL game is what got them to buy their first proper VR headsets. Seeing them have their first expeiences in VR and really enjoying themselves has been fun, just at is whenever I see others try for the first time and be blown away by it

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
bought and preloaded and somehow im so fuckin nervous to play this. not sure if it's because I can't believe it's happening and haven't played a HL game in forever, or because I haven't plugged my VR in in over 18 months and am dreading getting that set up. I'm stoked as fuck to play but some weird feeling over me. What if I don't like the game? I think it's that..

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
One more sleep and then it's a good day to do what needs to be done by me and help my alyx defeat the E N E M I E S!

I have to kill fast, and bullets too slow!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
bought and preloaded and somehow im so fuckin nervous to play this. not sure if it's because I can't believe it's happening and haven't played a HL game in forever, or because I haven't plugged my VR in in over 18 months and am dreading getting that set up. I'm stoked as fuck to play but some weird feeling over me. What if I don't like the game? I think it's that..

It definitely sucks when something you've hyped a lot for a long time doesn't end up satisfying, but I have faith this will be an extremely polished and well designed game. It has a lot of the same design and writing talent that worked on the old games in addition to Portal 2. They playtested the fuck out of this, and Gabe says he thinks this is them at their best and is genuinely invested in what the reception will be. I mean it's possible you won't like it but just try to go into the experience with optimism, and remember these are some of the best devs in the industry. It's gonna be great 😊

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's been a worry for me, despite trying my best to keep expectations in check. What I'm most concerned about is how any negative reception of this game might be interpreted at Valve. I hope they won't take it as evidence people don't care about Half-Life anymore. Another dozen years of no Half-Life would be awful.

I've decided that as long as the game world feels like "Half-Life" and the gameplay is fun, that's all I should ask for at this moment. Valve has been out of the "singleplayer game" game for a while now. That, and it being a whole new medium to develop for. From the beginning, I saw this as a sort of learning project and bridge for Half-Life 3. I'm sure it will be a great game, but there will lots of lessons learned, good and bad, after the fans get their hands on the game. I think that's inevitable bringing an established franchise with a unique game play to a whole new medium.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished the HL2 episodes this weekend (yeah, I know) and I'm guessing the reason Valve has said that you probably want to play Episode 2 prior is because Alyx is going to get into why she is important to the Vortigaunts?

gman7722

Oct 24, 2019
I'm a bit worried about this. My setup is an Oculus Quest + Link connected to an RTX 2070 Super/Ryzen 5 3600 computer. It should be OK, right? However I've definitely been having quite noticeable VR issues in certain games, and things just never seem to run as well as they should. So I'm just concerned that this is going to turn out the same despite my computer being well over the recommended specs...
I have pc switch similar specs and the quest + link cable. Hopefully the quest + link serves us well.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
If this ends up being the second coming of christ for VR I might have to commandeer the entire living room for this, otherwise I'll use my reasonably sized office for it. Gonna try to stream it as soon as I can after launch.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm curious to see how many reviews there will be in total, since VR games generally receive limited coverage. Even big hits like Beat Saber and Boneworks have a very low number of reviews and it seems like Astro Bot might have the highest number of reviews so far (51 reviews on Metacritic).
I know at least two fairly large publications are posting their reviews on Monday, but that's all I know

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
dusted off my vive and it took me about half an hour to troubleshoot why my base stations were all out of whack. everything seems to be in working order. i'm ready as shit. i can't believe this is happening.