• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Finally someone recognizes the true GOTY in my opinion. The ending segments alone are some of the coolest gaming experiences I've had in years.

Also utterly baffled why anyone thinks Boneworks is better.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The nice part about VR these days is that it's cheaper to add VR to your gaming PC than it is to upgrade your monitor.

Certainly not cheap, but it's so much more accessible than it was even a year ago!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the most impressive game I played all year. Valve's level design continues to be fantastic, and each chapter brought a new "wow" moment, whether it was mechanics or visuals. Despite playing all the HL games as they released... I don't care much about the lore, but the gameplay was fantastic.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I really didn't think Alyx had a chance of winning GOTY because of the VR barrier.

It's no question my game of the year and a truly incredible experience that felt more next gen than anything I've played on my PS5. When this game comes out on PSVR2 I think we'll see a lot more people talk about the game and how damn incredible it is. There's not been a VR game I've played that has felt more like a traditional game inside a VR environment with room scale and motion controls. Usually those games still need to use a traditional controller. It's level and game design is impeccable and proves Valve haven't lost a single step in their mastery of the medium.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I've cried a few times during games this year, but I was openly weeping during the final moments of Alyx. It won't be my personal game of the year, but it's close. GameSpot made a good choice!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Super cool to see.

If everyone had tried it, it would have made more GOTY lists, believe me.

Probably the one super hyped game some people weren't disappointed with this year.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think 13 Sentinels has to go on my wishlist from all I keep hearing about it. Hades I'm pretty sure wouldn't be my cup of tea but that'd be the other obvious one from GOTY lists and talk.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Weird seeing the boneworks comparisons; I like boneworks and think it has deeper interactivity than half life, but half life is far and away a better-designed shooter, even if it's a bit safer on the VR immersion side of things. Give me BW with HL's narrative, level, and encounter design and now we're cooking

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
It's one of the weirdest games to be hyped for but unable to play. As if it's not out yet but previews are EVERYWHERE. As a console only gamer, I'm waiting for PSVR2 and really hoping they port it over.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Neat! Absolutely deserved. Felt a bit standard the first couple chapters but slowly ramped up and just got better and better. What a ride it was, nothing else like it this year. I hope everyone gets a chance to try it one day.

I feel like I shouldn't get my hopes up but the fact this game exists at all, the ending, and Valve' "not being afraid of Half-Life no more," I haven't been this excited about the future of this franchise in a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
I played Alyx with a below minimum spec laptop and an Oculus Quest, and it was the best experience I had this year, by far. No arguments from me. An amazing experience all around

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
About time for some common sense! I understand when the average gamer who didn't get to play it goes and hates it or dismisses it, it's whatever, but it's baffling to me how a journalist can play through Alyx on a good headset (specially that ending sequence) and then go and give videogame of the year to some random regular flatscreen game and even have the nerve of not mentioning Alyx in the top 10.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well deserved.

On a side note, if all of the outlets who were part of the voting committee for The Game Awards end up having different GotYs than TLOU2 it will make it seem a little odd as to why that game won.
Is this a budding conspiracy or a casual observation? It vary from site to site but often the editorial team decides goty but for vga/tga sometimes just the eic or equivalent sends votes.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
HL:A deserves it for so many reasons. I feel like it's so hard to appreciate just how amazing the game feels without seeing it in VR. So many VR games look good on a flat screen but when you play it you just feel how cut down a lot of things are in order to make it run properly. Flat and low-res textures really stand out, and not just in pancake conversions like Skyrim VR, but even games built from the ground up for the hardware. But in HL:A there was an insane amount of work done to maximize immersive aspects and just polish it more than any other VR title. Stuff like shaders that really take advantage of 3D so metallic reflections have the proper depth and shine correctly for each eye, and props like boxes of matches rattle realistically when shaken. It's just a level of polish that you wouldn't expect to make a big difference, until you stand there sloshing around the gasoline in a propane tank for a full minute like a maniac. And that's before even touching on the gameplay, enemy AI, level layout, or story.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I was miffed at not seeing it get even a nod for TGA GOTY. Kudos Gamespot, this was my personal favorite of 2020. I'm glad that this was the reason that got me into VR, it is so worth the experience. It felt old school Valve single-player in all the best ways possible, and is far and away the most polished VR experience available. You can tall every detail was implemented with the utmost care.

Kinda jonesing for another run now.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
No Flight Simulator or Ori and the Will of the Wisps in the nominees is sadness, but yes, Alyx is the right overall pick.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
So well deserved, despite personally losing all interest in VR this year Alyx is still my GOTY.

Right at the start when a strider moves between two buildings I literally had tears in my eyes as the whole situation was so amazing, Half Life has been with me since 1998 and this game made me realise how important the series still is to me.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The other nominees were:

- The Last of Us 2
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Animal Crossing
- Spiritfarer
- Hades
- Demon's Souls
- Persona 5 Royal
Why are you listing every nominee but Yakuza: Like Dragon?
Screenshot_2020-12-18_Best_Games_of_2020.png

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I was miffed at not seeing it get even a nod for TGA GOTY. Kudos Gamespot, this was my personal favorite of 2020. I'm glad that this was the reason that got me into VR, it is so worth the experience. It felt old school Valve single-player in all the best ways possible, and is far and away the most polished VR experience available. You can tall every detail was implemented with the utmost care.

Kinda jonesing for another run now.
Agreed. I just went back and replayed it now that they've added the commentary mode, and it's just as much of a blast the second time around.

Oct 28, 2017
If I had the ability to play it I would expect it to be my GOTY too. But I will confirm or deny that when it launches on PSVR2. And it better launch on PSVR2.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that Sony is in talks already for a possible port when it comes. HLA at launch for PSVR2 would be a megaton, and it'll be fun seeing a lot more people enjoying the game

Valve should demand astrobot gets ported to steam when they bring alyx to psvr2. That way everyone can enjoy both excellent games!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It is GoTY period. I had the pleasure of playing every game on that list and HL:Alyx is better than them all. It literally changes the way I viewed gaming. It was super immersive, gameplay mechanics were wonderful, pacing and length was spot on and the story was great.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Echoing everyone else wanting this for PSVR2. Have to imagine that Sony & Valve are working things out for launch. And picturing PSVR2 with the haptics & trigger effect of DualSense makes me very excited.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Echoing everyone else wanting this for PSVR2. Have to imagine that Sony & Valve are working things out for launch. And picturing PSVR2 with the haptics & trigger effect of DualSense makes me very excited.

PSVR 2 seems to be more in line with PCVR with all the patents we've been seeing so you guys should get a lot more of our PCVR games ported over.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed the first 1/3 of HL: Alyx and felt it dropped off. Probably need to pick it up again

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Holy shit, this is awesome! Didn't think a big website would ever award HL:A for GOTY, but here we are. Not only is this good for giving Valve their due recognition for this game, but it's also a great boost for the VR medium too.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I can't wait to be able to play it. Every time I think about moving into a larger space, this game comes straight to mind as one of the things I want to play right away.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Not the best 2020 game, but definitely in my top 5. Good to see it get some recognition.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I got this today. I picked up a can, threw that fucking can like a man. Fuck the Man

Need to wait until I get one of those things which protect the lens in the oculus from glasses first tho.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
This game looks bonkers and I shouldn't port beg but please Vale & Sony put this out on ps5 with psvr2 and I'll buy it day one. (Don't have a PC and don't wanna watch a play through on YouTube)

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best game of the year even if not many people had a chance to play it yet. GOTY shouldn't go to the most popular game but the best one and HL:Alyx absolutely deserves it. Gamespot in general have been really on point with many of their picks. I remember them giving the OG Demon's Souls years back their GOTY as well.