• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Valve Index

Upgrade your experience.

What alternative are y'all turning to if it ain't the Index for Alyx? Not sure if Valve will even get more in time for launch, but hopefully they do.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Thankfully I have a Vive so I'll be able to play it.

... doesn't mean I don't want an Index though lol

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Bought a Quest in January entirely because of this game lol

Would love to have an Index, but I don't have the space or money to really justify it.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a Quest that should be coming before Alyx is out. A new shipment of Indexes before launch would make sense but I wonder if manufacturing issues could prevent that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely don't need an Index. You're fine with most other headsets that are available or any that you've had for the last four years or whatever. I'll be on a Rift CV1.

www.youtube.com

Half-Life: Alyx Hands-On! Tested on 8 VR Headsets

We've played some Half-Life: Alyx! Tested spent a day playing Valve's upcoming full-length VR game across 8 different headsets to evaluate how the game looks...

Last edited:

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be using by Quest for it. It's been working fantastically for my other PC games so far.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I've been thinking of getting the rift S but I heard some complaints, it's either that or waiting for the next gen...

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last week they said they'd talk "soon" about availability again. Hopefully it's this week.
I wonder if the coronavirus is affecting production

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I believe Quest+Link is probably the best overall alternative at the moment, but the OG Vive and Rift S are both still perfectly fine products.

Edit: I just remembered that the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap is basically impossible to find now, so the Vive isn't that great anymore.

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Quest with link baybee

$1,000 for a wired-only headset with external sensors, hardest of passes

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been waiting on a deal for the 64GB Quest for month now - since for the announcement of Alyx.

Nowhere to be seen, this thing seems to sell just fine. I just don't wanna pay more that 400 Euro new.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of great headsets. You aren't exactly losing much by going with a different company's headset. Even if you don't want to go with Oculus for one reason or another the WMR and Vive headsets are perfectly fine.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I believe Quest+Link is probably the best overall alternative at the moment, but the OG Vive and Rift S are both still perfectly fine products.
For PCVR only the Rift S is vastly superior to the Quest in ergonomics and quite a bit better on the display side of things (save for contrast). It also has better tracking due to the extra camera, and game performance is better overall given that compressing a video feed in real time isn't required. I was actually surprised when looking at some benchmarks, sometimes 10-15 FPS slower than the same game running on Rift S. Now, reprojection kicks in in such cases but it isn't really something you should be looking for.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I have a Vive but I'd really prefer to wait for the Index or at least the controllers.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Best to go with rift s since it'll most likely like the quest down the line get finger tracking.

Despite Carmack saying the Rift S is perfectly capable of supporting hand tracking, Facebook has been decidedly non-committal on whether it'll actually happen, which suggests to me either Carmack neglected to account for some sort of technological shortcoming, or, now that Oculus Link exists, Facebook is leaning towards gradually phasing out the Rift in favour of doubling down on hybrid headsets like the Quest.

While there's certainly an argument to be made that the Rift S is the better choice, especially if PCVR is your only/chief concern and the added weight the Quest has may adversely impact your comfort level (speaking from experience, it's not a problem for everybody), I wouldn't operate on the assumption that it'll also get hand tracking.

Last edited:

SONofZARDOZ

Nov 26, 2019
I want a Valve Index but didn't have that money to spend so I went with the Samsung Odyssey + since it's on sale for $230 (and that includes the controllers which is all you need since it's inside-out tracking). I have been loving it. Screen looks great. Controllers don't have the functionality (finger tracking) of the Index but custom controller bindings go a long way in making it comfortable to play. This will tide me over for some time and was a great way to get into VR since it's my first real VR setup.

If anybody goes the same route I would highly recommend the replacement face cushion from VR Covers (it's soooo much more comfortable) and extension cables so you have more freedom to move or even just more slack when sitting. I've had the replacement cushion for a couple of weeks now and it's a massive upgrade in comfort. My extension cables just came in yesterday but already made a difference last night (and worked like a charm).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Definitely don't need an Index. You're fine with most other headsets that are available or any that you've had for the last four years or whatever. I'll be on a Rift CV1.

www.youtube.com

Half-Life: Alyx Hands-On! Tested on 8 VR Headsets

We've played some Half-Life: Alyx! Tested spent a day playing Valve's upcoming full-length VR game across 8 different headsets to evaluate how the game looks...

Thanks for the link, some good info in there.

I'm still gonna hold out for the Index, even if it means that I won't be able to play Half-life: Alyx on day one.

Quest sounds pretty viable, with some compromises. They didn't mind the compression and latency, but they said the weight on the face was uncomfortable after 30 minutes of play.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Rift CV1 for me. I was going to pick up a Rift S as a little upgrade but I learnt it has a fixed PD, that doesn't fit my own. Shame really as the Index is way too expensive.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an original Rift. it's still pretty good and I don't use VR enough to justify upgrading to something that isn't a massive leap.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I still have trackers on Quest & the Link cable and those frequently go in and out of stock. Seriously get the feeling this game has been HUGE for every VR headset on the market, not just the Index.

I work for a company in the medical field and we've been in conversations with Oculus related to their "Oculus for Business" VR Enterprise service where they would supply our company with Quest headsets and Enterprise software but their distributor is having problems getting headsets out to companies like ours because of how insane sales have been at retail for the Quest.
Can I connect the Rift S to the pc via cable for the added GPU power?

I think you're confusing the Rift S & the Quest. To play PCVR games with the Quest you need to connect it to a high enough spec PC via the Oculus Link cable (or a cable of their recommended specs... but if you're going to go this route splurge for the official Link cable).

Last edited:

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i bought a quest shortly after HL Alyx was announced. it's a fantastic bit of kit.

just a reminder. the oculus quest is stand alone, ie you can buy and play games on it, it has its own hardware built into the headset, but you can also connect to your pc using a cable to stream games from a PC (which is how you'd play HL Alyx). the Rift S always requires you to be linked to your PC for anything you do with it.

Last edited:

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
i bought a quest shortly after HL Alyx was announced. it's a fantastic bit of kit.

just a reminder. the oculus quest is stand alone, ie you can buy and play games on it, it has its own hardware built into the headset, but you can also connect to your pc using a cable to stream games from a PC (which is how you'd play HL Alyx). the Rift S always requires you to be linked to your PC for anything you do with it.

quest is sold out every where I look too :(

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it was produced in china its possible that they cannot get enough restock for now

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Just ordered an Odyssey+ on sale. The only headset I could really justify paying for on my budget, so hopefully it doe the job.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered an Odyssey+ on sale. The only headset I could really justify paying for on my budget, so hopefully it doe the job.
Odyssey+ is pretty good, definitely a great "bang for your buck" headset with good visuals and no need for external sensors. Its only real issues are the headset doesn't support larger heads and sometimes the sweet spot can be a bit tough to "dial in" because it's kinda small.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Odyssey+ is pretty good, definitely a great "bang for your buck" headset with good visuals and no need for external sensors. Its only real issues are the headset doesn't support larger heads and sometimes the sweet spot can be a bit tough to "dial in" because it's kinda small.
Yeah, thats what I've heard. A couple friends have it and said the sale price was worth it so I decided to give it a shot. Should be getting here Thursday and I'm pretty excited to try out VR for the first time.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
For PCVR only the Rift S is vastly superior to the Quest in ergonomics and a quite bit better on the display side of things (save for contrast). It also has better tracking due to the extra camera.
Yeah, I think really comes down to preference and what the customer wants since the Quest has the obvious advantage of having access to all the wireless stuff.

If it was produced in china its possible that they cannot get enough restock for now
Valve does all their manufacturing in the US now AFAIK.

Edit: nope

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Valve does all their manufacturing in the US now AFAIK.

Out of genuine interest, do you have a source for this. I know the lighthouses are assembled in the US, but I was under the impression that at least the majority of the headset construction was done overseas.

Edit: Alright, assembly in the US I could believe.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think Valve thought this one through, unless they have some bundles ready to drop alongside it, in which case they're geniuses.