• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Should I wait to upgrade before playing this on my Index? I bought it for the game but I probably should wait and upgrade my PC (i5 6500/GTX 1060 6GB) first.

I'm waiting for the newer GPUs to come out, but I could do a CPU upgrade in the meantime?

Tech stuff really isn't my thing but if it's in any way helpful for a ballpark, I played through the game the very first time on an i7-6700, 980TI, with 16Gig Ram and that defaulted many of the settings to low/medium. Just for shits and giggles I put EVERYTHING on low and it still looked incredible to my eyes.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I wait to upgrade before playing this on my Index? I bought it for the game but I probably should wait and upgrade my PC (i5 6500/GTX 1060 6GB) first.

I'm waiting for the newer GPUs to come out, but I could do a CPU upgrade in the meantime?
I think you can still play it good enough right now, then replay later in the year. I'm planning on replaying it when the new GPUs and new Ryzen comes out

Oct 28, 2017
I'd get it but the system requirements are insane. I'd need to spend an arm and a leg on a new PC and then an expensive headset on top of that. Waiting for a console port. Hoping it will be day 1 on PSVR2.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get it but the system requirements are insane. I'd need to spend an arm and a leg on a new PC and then an expensive headset on top of that. Waiting for a console port. Hoping it will be day 1 on PSVR2.
The expected PSVR2 controller seems great. So if they change their tracking, I'd bet on a port, as Valve is more interested in growing the VR market than exclusivity stuff.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Tech stuff really isn't my thing but if it's in any way helpful for a ballpark, I played through the game the very first time on an i7-6700, 980TI, with 16Gig Ram and that defaulted many of the settings to low/medium. Just for shits and giggles I put EVERYTHING on low and it still looked incredible to my eyes.
I think you can still play it good enough right now, then replay later in the year. I'm planning on replaying it when the new GPUs and new Ryzen comes out

I might do that, thanks for the advice.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Its not thread worthy, anyone can do guesstimates
The game selling minimum 1 million (and being then owned by roughly one third of the PCVR base on Steam) is threadworthy imo.

afaik SteamDB has a pretty good track record even after the changes for at least the floor of sales for games on Steam.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You can also use Virtual Desktop and a Quest. That's what I plan to do. Too expensive right now though (the game, given I just spent 400 on a quest).
I consider the Quest as "PCVR" - you don't even need Virtual Desktop, you can just connect with an USB3.0 cable. I played Alyx on a Quest :-)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The game selling minimum 1 million (and being then owned by roughly one third of the PCVR base on Steam) is threadworthy imo.

afaik SteamDB has a pretty good track record even after the changes for at least the floor of sales for games on Steam.

Sure, but this 3rd party source isn't reliable nor accurate.

They dont have a good track record. Ive seen estimates that are off by the millions.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Great success. Hopefully the game will come to hardware I can afford at some point. Wishing this success completely revitalizes Valve's interest in the Half-Life IP

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

Steamdb has a passionate developer behind it. Steamspy has basically been given up on since he got hired by a rival company for his work on it, but don't worry he still charges people for super inaccurate data he said he would get around to fixing.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, and as others have pointed out, the number is probably even higher than that. This game is incredible and is easily the best game I've played this year, and the best VR game available.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope Sony and Valve are working out a deal to put this on PSVR2. Or I hope PSVR2 is PC compatible.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much the VRless mod boosted sales.

Also, buyers who paid little attention and bought without knowing it's a VR only game.

Probably either zero or a few disappointed by the fact that a VR game is a VR game and can't be played well as a flat screen game.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Let's just say Half Life Alyx indicates big plans for the Half Life series in terms of story.

b14.jpg