• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
steamspy.com

Half-Life: Alyx -

Steam Spy automatically gathers data from Steam user profiles, analyzes it and presents in simple, yet beautiful, manner. Steam Spy is designed to be helpful for indie developers, journalists, students and all parties interested in PC gaming and its current state of affairs.

According to Steamspy, Half-Life: Alyx has 1 to 2 million owners as of now

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't doubt Alyx reaching 1M+ owners but steam spy is quite inaccurate since the GDPR update some years back. So OP, please don't use it as a reference for steam owners next time :(

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome. My Index is still on backorder, delayed due to covid. But I'm still anxiously awaiting it and checking the status daily. And I already have a Vive.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Hope they solve their supply issues soon. Tempted to buy one on eBay but they're going for 2,000 USD

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
steamspy.com

Half-Life: Alyx -

Steam Spy automatically gathers data from Steam user profiles, analyzes it and presents in simple, yet beautiful, manner. Steam Spy is designed to be helpful for indie developers, journalists, students and all parties interested in PC gaming and its current state of affairs.

According to Steamspy, Half-Life: Alyx has 1 to 2 million owners as of now
So about a minimum of one third of all PCVR owners (going by latest steam stats)? not bad. still room to grow.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing it's never coming to Quest. I think all the VR fragmentation is one of the most damaging things to getting it off the ground.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing it's never coming to Quest. I think all the VR fragmentation is one of the most damaging things to getting it off the ground.

It is not possible to run on the Quest alone. And Valve tested and released Alyx to work on any VR headset connected to PC. Including Quest with Link cable. Valve doesn't block other devices or release exclusives like Oculus.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt Alyx reaching 1M+ owners but steam spy is quite inaccurate since the GDPR update some years back. So OP, please don't use it as a reference for steam owners next time :(

Steam Spy is inaccurate in that its numbers are too low. The numbers they pull are the ones that opt in, so their numbers are always lower than the actual.

Thus, HL:A likely sold more than reported.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

If you mean coming to Quest natively (instead of via a cable), there's no way that's going to happen. You'd be porting a high end PC game to an Android phone, effectively.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

When no PSVR version was confirmed that basically deconfirmed a Quest version. While the Quest does have better tracking it's still a much weaker system due to the mobile GPU.

PSVR2 and Quest 2 could be far far more likely tho.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Why inaccurate, damn son, must be the fastest selling VR game. I think Beat Saber or Superhot VR might have sold more, but not as fast.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if I could put a laptop in a backpack to run Alyx through link cable. First i'd need a link cable and a laptop.

If I went and looked at Alyx recommended specs, would that be good guide for laptop I'd need to get that's ideal for VR?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing, well deserved. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for "AAA" VR PC games.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Steam Spy is inaccurate in that its numbers are too low. The numbers they pull are the ones that opt in, so their numbers are always lower than the actual.

Yeah, when SI announced Football Manager 2018 had hit 1m sales, I got curious and looked at SteamSpy's supporter-only data, and even that was off by around half a million. Valve's GDPR-related changes were utterly catastrophic for SteamSpy's accuracy, but in cases like this, the data isn't entirely useless.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
I wonder if I could put a laptop in a backpack to run Alyx through link cable. First i'd need a link cable and a laptop.

If I went and looked at Alyx recommended specs, would that be good guide for laptop I'd need to get that's ideal for VR?
My laptop runs it OK, and it's got a GTX 1060, 16GB of RAM and an i9 laptop range processor.

My PC runs it better even though it's got a worse processor and a 1080 instead of a 1060.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd be worried about ventilation if I did that with a laptop; they get really hot when running a game so I wouldn't want them stored in a heat-insulating area with no proper ventilation while I was doing that.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
My laptop runs it OK, and it's got a GTX 1060, 16GB of RAM and an i9 laptop range processor.

My PC runs it better even though it's got a worse processor and a 1080 instead of a 1060.

Good to know thanks

I'd be worried about ventilation if I did that with a laptop; they get really hot when running a game so I wouldn't want them stored in a heat-insulating area with no proper ventilation while I was doing that.

Good point, might just need to put up with cable.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Sounds like a pretty huge success, and that's perfect for the VR platform. And Valve said they have a few big games like this too, can't wait to see what's next. Still too expensive for me to get involved, but Alyx is on the list for when I do jump in. Avoiding spoilers like a beast right now.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wonder how much the VRless mod boosted sales.

Also, buyers who paid little attention and bought without knowing it's a VR only game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of these sales are from grandmas whos grandchildren had installed steam ages ago and thus it starts automatically when the computer starts and are actually just errant clicks that purchased the game and installed it and ran it by accident

I also wonder how many of these sales are from people who had constant driver and static bracelet issues with their computers, so they bought an entirely new $5000 PC and thus rebought the game on a new steam account while setting up their new PC

not insignificant either number, I'd bet.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many of these sales are from grandmas whos grandchildren had installed steam ages ago and thus it starts automatically when the computer starts and are actually just errant clicks by accident

I also wonder how many of these sales are from people who had constant driver and static bracelet issues with their computers, so they bought an entirely new $5000 PC and thus rebought the game on a new steam account while setting up their new PC

At least 50% being conservative.

Probably another 25% thought it was Alexa finally launching on PC.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

So if Steamspy reports a game at 1-2 million, the number is guaranteed to be over the given minimum (1 mil)? I remember a lot of people writing it off because it's "inaccurate".

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable game from start to finish. Easily my fav game of 2020 so far and nothing come close.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many of these sales are from grandmas whos grandchildren had installed steam ages ago and thus it starts automatically when the computer starts and are actually just errant clicks that purchased the game and installed it and ran it by accident

I wish I knew what you were parodying lol

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
tbf there's about a thousand downloads of the novr mod on Nexusmods, so you need to take that into account.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I knew what you were parodying lol

Parody? There's nothing funny about Valve deceiving players like this.

RBC96MT.png

There are barely nine warnings on this page about needing a VR headset, they should be more clear so they don't trick people into buying a VR game without them knowing.

Truly, Alyx is succeeded because people are buying it to not play in VR. Every single download on Nexus of the "non-vr" mod, for example, are coming solely from people without VR headsets.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Well deserved. A truly spectacular game. Alyx was the first VR title I played and I have not been this blown away by a video game since 1997. Bought an Index to play it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parody? There's nothing funny about Valve deceiving players like this.

RBC96MT.png

There are barely nine warnings on this page about needing a VR headset, they should be more clear so they don't trick people into buying a VR game without them knowing.

Truly, Alyx is succeeded because people are buying it to not play in VR. Every single download on Nexus of the "non-vr" mod, for example, are coming solely from people without VR headsets.
Quality posts as always, having a great chuckle šŸ˜‚

We can account for at least a couple dozen Valve Friends & Family keys I gave out during my time heavily skewing these figures.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Should I wait to upgrade before playing this on my Index? I bought it for the game but I probably should wait and upgrade my PC (i5 6500/GTX 1060 6GB) first.

I'm waiting for the newer GPUs to come out, but I could do a CPU upgrade in the meantime?