• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the OT. Should we make a review thread as well? I wasn't sure since VR games do not get reviewed as much.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't thing HL3 will ever happen... not in the way people think anyway. I think half life needs a reboot at this stage. You can't just carry on a story 13+ years later like nothing happened.

That's why I think they've taken the prequel route with alyx. It establishes the brand again, it's a refresh since it's a prequel. And I think whatever half life follows it will have stronger ties to alyx then it will with half life 2 or episode 1/2.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't see why they WOULDN'T port it to PSVR 2, as long as its controllers are half-way decent.

Considering Valve hasn't released a console game since CS:GO in 2012 (which was never patched on either platform), and the one console game it was working on was the result of promises made prior to the acquisition of the developer, I think a PS5 version will come down to whether Sony makes the PSVR2 PC-compatible. If that ends up being the case, which now feels like a distinct possibility in light of Sony beginning to follow in the footsteps of Microsoft in terms of viewing the PC as complementary rather than a competitor, then the question of "Since we're working with a PlayStation-compatible VR headset, why don't we port Alyx to the PS5?" is more than likely to come up.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Considering Valve hasn't released a console game since CS:GO in 2012 (which was never patched on either platform), and the one console game it was working on was the result of promises made prior to the acquisition of the developer, I think a PS5 version will come down to whether Sony makes the PSVR2 PC-compatible. If that ends up being the case, which now feels like a distinct possibility in light of Sony beginning to follow in the footsteps of Microsoft in terms of viewing the PC as complementary rather than a competitor, then the question of "Since we're working with a PlayStation-compatible VR headset, why don't we port Alyx to the PS5?" is more than likely to come up.
I mean, what has Valve been working on since then? They've been all in on TF2 Hats, CS:GO gambling, DOTA, Artifail and Underlords. Nothing really that one would consider a "good fit" for consoles. All their live service stuff was focused on making and monetizing marketplaces, not adding "content".

Assuming the PSVR 2 is close enough to feature parity with most of the PCVR space, there's little reason why it couldn't or shouldn't also be on a PS5-based VR solution.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what has Valve been working on since then? They've been all in on TF2 Hats, CS:GO gambling, DOTA, Artifail and Underlords. Nothing really that one would consider a "good fit" for consoles. All their live service stuff was focused on making and monetizing marketplaces, not adding "content".

Assuming the PSVR 2 is close enough to feature parity with most of the PCVR space, there's little reason why it couldn't or shouldn't also be on a PS5-based VR solution.

You got to remember that Valve only has like 350 employees and they basically print money with Steam, DOTA, CS, TF2, etc. They don't need the extra money a port would bring in the same way most other companies would.

I honestly don't think Valve themselves would ever port it. They probably just lack the manpower considering how much they have to work on and how few employees they have. I could totally see them outsourcing it to another studio to port for them. It probably would be a good way to continue to build the relationship between Valve and Sony.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Underlords is on mobile also, and there'll eventually be a mobile version of Artifact, too (that was supposed to happen last year, but then the game released to a decidedly tepid reception, forcing Valve back to the drawing board). They're as not any worse a fit for consoles than, say, Gwent.

Sure, from a technical standpoint. But, thus far, Valve has shown exactly zero interest in returning to the console space, even when asked, which is why I see any motivation to the contrary being context-driven -- it Valve returns to consoles, it's going to be because it was working on something peripheral to consoles, not merely the fact they exist and don't have some sort of fundamental shortcoming.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx | Rise and Shine
This would get my vote, maybe full quote "Rise and shine, Ms Vance, Rise and shine"
I did and it still says the 23rd for me. Checked the store page and it says it unlocks in 1 day, 11 hours.
Yeah I restarted steam and it went back to 23rd for me.
Half Life Alyx... 3 words? HL3 confirmed!
just having the OT be "HL3, Confirmed" (Or simply HL: Alyx |OT| Half-Life 3), but that would rustle too many feathers I think :)

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
You got to remember that Valve only has like 350 employees and they basically print money with Steam, DOTA, CS, TF2, etc. They don't need the extra money a port would bring in the same way most other companies would.

I honestly don't think Valve themselves would ever port it. They probably just lack the manpower considering how much they have to work on and how few employees they have. I could totally see them outsourcing it to another studio to port for them. It probably would be a good way to continue to build the relationship between Valve and Sony.
Yeah, they likely would outsource it. They'd probably just have to do the initial work getting Source 2 up and running on a PS5 first, which might be the biggest hurdle. Though not out of the question, because Valve has developed for FreeBSD in the past, and still develop for Linux. It just comes down to the demand being there (likely), and the passion from inside Valve to spread their vision of VR's future to more platforms.

Underlords is on mobile also, and there'll eventually be a mobile version of Artifact, too (that was supposed to happen last year, but then the game released to a decidedly tepid reception, forcing Valve back to the drawing board). They're as not any worse a fit for consoles than, say, Gwent.
Mobile is a better fit for card games and whatever genre Underlords is. There's still no Hearthstone or MTG for the current consoles either, despite those games' massive popularity. It's great that Gwent made it, but that's also a spinoff of an existing PS4/Xbone game, so it makes sense to tap that built-in audience.

Alyx is the first story-driven single player content Valve has released since Portal 2. And the Valve of the 2010s was more interested in creating and monetizing markets than creating single-player experiences. Their 2010s output was not a great fit for consoles, but a single player AAA VR game? That's a slam dunk.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Mobile is a better fit for card games and whatever genre Underlords is. There's still no Hearthstone or MTG for the current consoles either, despite those games' massive popularity. It's great that Gwent made it, but that's also a spinoff of an existing PS4/Xbone game, so it makes sense to tap that built-in audience.

I'd posit that since Gwent shows the likes of Artifact and Underlords can work on consoles, if they were in Valve's purview at all, surely there'd at least be some um's and ah's from Valve that console releases are something it's considering. It feels rather telling that the IGN First interviewer asked Gabe more-or-less point-blank if the upcoming consoles are something Valve is looking at and he danced around that portion of the question, simply saying it's great there's little differentiating PC and consoles from a game development standpoint as developers have an easier road to multiplatform releases.

Alyx is the first story-driven single player content Valve has released since Portal 2. And the Valve of the 2010s was more interested in creating and monetizing markets than creating single-player experiences. Their 2010s output was not a great fit for consoles, but a single player AAA VR game? That's a slam dunk.

I don't discount the possibility that Alyx, as a primarily campaign-driven experience a la Portal 2, will be ported to the PS5, assuming PSVR2 itself is sufficiently capable. I just think the Valve of today firmly views consoles as a tertiary market and won't pursue console-oriented initiatives unless those projects are a natural extension of the PC or mobile side of development.

To be clear, I hope I'm wrong. Artificial exclusivity is in no way a good thing; the more people who can play a game, the better.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How will spoilers be handled post-release? A separate thread from the OT, tagged in the OT, or freely posted in the OT? I'm sure people not playing the game would still like to read some general impressions without seeing spoilers.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
When you planning on posting it MRORANGE ?
I'm all preloaded and ready to go - between Animal Crossing and Alyx - finding time to actually work is going to be tough! But hey, that's the balance of this WFH life many of us find our selves in currently.

I'm a big fan of the titles:
Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Prepare For Unforeseen Consequences
Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Wake up and smell the ashes
Half-Life: Alyx |OT| Rise and shine

These are all awesome!

Looking forward to seeing the OT - after posting 2 this month (for Pokemon and Animal Crossing) it'l be nice to see an OT for a game I'm excited for that I didn't design!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't thing HL3 will ever happen... not in the way people think anyway. I think half life needs a reboot at this stage. You can't just carry on a story 13+ years later like nothing happened.

That's why I think they've taken the prequel route with alyx. It establishes the brand again, it's a refresh since it's a prequel. And I think whatever half life follows it will have stronger ties to alyx then it will with half life 2 or episode 1/2.

I agree and there are rumors floating around that this is a very soft reboot in a way. We'll know tomorrow!

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
How will spoilers be handled post-release? A separate thread from the OT, tagged in the OT, or freely posted in the OT? I'm sure people not playing the game would still like to read some general impressions without seeing spoilers.
I'd rather not have spoilers in the OT for the first week or so at the least. so tagged at a minimum.