• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In that article the other day that talked about play testers doing longer sessions in the game, they talked about people having trouble loading Alyx's gun. That sounded like there will only be one gun? I would guess in a VR game, since so much in the environment will be usable as weapons, we might not need more permanent guns. I wonder if maybe other guns are temporary, such as you kill a combine soldier and take his rifle, you use it for a while , keep getting ammo and reload it, then you find another gun you like better and just drop the first one because you can't hold onto it anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
In that article the other day that talked about play testers doing longer sessions in the game, they talked about people having trouble loading Alyx's gun. That sounded like there will only be one gun? I would guess in a VR game, since so much in the environment will be usable as weapons, we might not need more permanent guns. I wonder if maybe other guns are temporary, such as you kill a combine soldier and take his rifle, you use it for a while , keep getting ammo and reload it, then you find another gun you like better and just drop the first one because you can't hold onto it anymore.
At the very least you have a gun that's upgradable. There seem to be at least two guns in the trailer.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume Valve would stay away from stuff like barnacles or l4d smokers in a VR game (stuff that yanks you).
I'm gonna guess they would have a way to handle it to not induce motion sickness. They seem to really be playing up accessibility of VR for this game.

I don't know how they would do it in VR, but I would LOVE if they somehow did a mechanic where you use a barnacle tongue to swing across a gap or get to a higher ledge, killing it when you need to get off. I actually thought about that while playing Black Mesa and in the iconic cliffside part, there's a jump with a very long barnacle tongue hanging in the gap. You're obviously supposed to kill the barnacle first, but I was thinking: what if you could use it to swing across.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if you get pulled up it switches to third person?

There are definitely barnacles in the game, you see them a few times in the trailer.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to play through Half Life 1 and 2 in VR? I know there was a mod some time ago for 2 based on the old Rift Devkit 1 but surely we've got a really nice way to play by now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how barnicles work myself. Also headcrabs. Will the screen go black if a crab gets on you? Wonder how they'll play it out.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how barnicles work myself. Also headcrabs. Will the screen go black if a crab gets on you? Wonder how they'll play it out.
I'm really curious about headcrabs...I'm imagining something like a Metroid latching on in the Prime games, but scarier and seeing it's little mouth gnaw at you. They did say you could pull a headcrab off your face and throw it at all enemy.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious about headcrabs...I'm imagining something like a Metroid latching on in the Prime games, but scarier and seeing it's little mouth gnaw at you. They did say you could pull a headcrab off your face and throw it at all enemy.

I love how the robo headcrabs function in Boneworks, they're essentially VR headsets with robotic legs that latch onto you and when they do your vision is replaced by another environment, and you can pull them off with the tracked controllers and manipulate each limb. I figure the HL: Alyx headcrabs you'll be able to pry off you as well.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Wonder if Valve made a deal to launch HLA with PlayStation 5, perhaps with new motion controllers??

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's your best theory on them canceling tonight? Game delay? Oh god it's a game delay isn't it
I really don't know and it'd be irresponsible for anyone I can ask to tell me :)

My best guess, which are just my own thoughts, it's likely they were trying to execute a live demo and something went wrong during preparations. But no insider info there.

I still stand by my previous comments that there were other, larger initiatives tied to HL:VR, and VR in general (and I'm not referring to L4D:VR; that did not exist in a playable state during my time), which have either been scrapped, or are still to be announced. It would've made a lot of sense to me for them to announce the other project alongside the bigger HL:VR announcement at TGA, but who knows what's going on these days.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know and it'd be irresponsible for anyone I can ask to tell me :)

My best guess, which are just my own thoughts, it's likely they were trying to execute a live demo and something went wrong during preparations. But no insider info there.

I still stand by my previous comments that there were other, larger initiatives tied to HL:VR, and VR in general (and I'm not referring to L4D:VR; that did not exist in a playable state during my time), which have either been scrapped, or are still to be announced. It would've made a lot of sense to me for them to announce the other project alongside the bigger HL:VR announcement at TGA, but who knows what's going on these days.
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

If it was a demo and it fell through, that must be incredibly frustrating for them and Keighly.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this! If anyone wants a discord place to talk about Alyx/ other VR games, I made a discord,
Hidden content
You need -1 more posts to view this content
Post in thread or reply to reveal discord link

Couldn't find a previous one, if one exists, let me know!

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm gonna guess they would have a way to handle it to not induce motion sickness. They seem to really be playing up accessibility of VR for this game.

I don't know how they would do it in VR, but I would LOVE if they somehow did a mechanic where you use a barnacle tongue to swing across a gap or get to a higher ledge, killing it when you need to get off. I actually thought about that while playing Black Mesa and in the iconic cliffside part, there's a jump with a very long barnacle tongue hanging in the gap. You're obviously supposed to kill the barnacle first, but I was thinking: what if you could use it to swing across.
Simple, when grabbed, obscure the outer regions of the fov with red shade and visible veins, to suggest strangulation.

Reloading requires muscle memory, if you are new to VR you'll do it slowly. I'm experienced with VR guns so I just do it without looking. It's not difficult, it just requires a bit of patience.
I really do hope the game has a decent selection of guns to play with. Playing though boneworks and the pathetic gun selection is insulting.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Simple, when grabbed, obscure the outer regions of the fov with red shade and visible veins, to suggest strangulation.

Reloading requires muscle memory, if you are new to VR you'll do it slowly. I'm experienced with VR guns so I just do it without looking. It's not difficult, it just requires a bit of patience.
I really do hope the game has a decent selection of guns to play with. Playing though boneworks and the pathetic gun selection is insulting.
Oh I know it's something that takes getting used to, I have Pavlov VR and some of the guns in that took me a bit to figure out how to reload. The sawed off shotgun and revolver took a few tries to consistently get right without accidentally dumping the fresh ammo out, lolm

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think anyone has made a thread about it here (or it got buried due to lack of interest), but Valve is doing a TGA game festival with time limited, exclusive demos:

I wonder if it's possible they were going to have HL:A be part of this "festival", and were going to demo it and then tell people they could demo it on Steam right now (for a limited period).

It certainly makes more sense than Tyler's explanation that they were too lazy to implement a smooth locomotion option in time for TGS. Even a programming dipshit like me could have that implemented in a couple minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone has made a thread about it here (or it got buried due to lack of interest), but Valve is doing a TGA game festival with time limited, exclusive demos:

I wonder if it's possible they were going to have HL:A be part of this "festival", and were going to demo it and then tell people they could demo it on Steam right now (for a limited period).

It certainly makes more sense than Tyler's explanation that they were too lazy to implement a smooth locomotion option in time for TGS. Even a programming dipshit like me could have that implemented in a couple minutes.
That video was nuts. It's like post-HL reveal he's gone off the deep end.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I don't think it's gonna launch in march
Not trying to sound like an armchair dev, but implementing smooth locomotion should not be a difficult task -- just a boring one. Geoff has played the game with teleportation from start to finish, so they are definitely in the polish phase. Someone just needs to be buckle down and implement smooth locomotion. No real reason to think it won't make March at this point.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
From the article:
So, yes, there's a fair amount of manual manipulation of weapons, some related to reloading and others related to special functionality. In some cases, the same actions can be performed by buttons on the controller. The rules for this vary between the weapons, because we wanted each weapon to feel like a new and interesting object to interact with, and eventually master.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah he already was way before the reveal. It was always an unhealthy obsession and the longer he stays in it the more crazy he gets about it because now that proof emerges he wants to be validated for all the whistleblowing he did.
Sure, but now that he has credibility from "HLVR" all his wild speculation is attributed directly to super reliable sources inside Valve, and his weird cult of personality fan base actually buy it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow glossed over that. Glad there's more weapons. I'm curious how you'll switch weapons, although I'm guessing it will likely be by moving the right stick on whatever controller you use (right touchpad for Vive wands). Or they could go Pavlov style and have a belt/carrier rig you look down at to grab gear.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Not trying to sound like an armchair dev, but implementing smooth locomotion should not be a difficult task -- just a boring one. Geoff has played the game with teleportation from start to finish, so they are definitely in the polish phase. Someone just needs to be buckle down and implement smooth locomotion. No real reason to think it won't make March at this point.
I didn't think it was coming in march when the trailer released. The recent stuff just makes me a little bit more certain.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was coming in march when the trailer released. The recent stuff just makes me a little bit more certain.
Yeah I'm starting to feel that way too unfortunately.

I guess more time to get used to the Knuckles controllers I ordered. They're supposed to come in Saturday and I ordered them with money I made from selling one Dota 2 item.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Valve is a unique case though, they rebuilt the last levels of HL2 simply because one dev didn't end up liking the Hydra that much. I would not be surprised to see them start redesigning levels for smooth locomotion, then causing a delay.