• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope with the game being VR and having different forms of locomotion , they won't alter their signature level design too much. By that, I mean the platforming bits and tight space/vent crawling.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope with the game being VR and having different forms of locomotion , they won't alter their signature level design too much. By that, I mean the platforming bits and tight space/vent crawling.
Kind of feels like they'd have to, no?

With that said, I'll eat my hat if we can't ride on a Strider now that they've added a platform to them which is suspiciously similar in size to a roomscale playspace.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of feels like they'd have to, no?

With that said, I'll eat my hat if we can't ride on a Strider now that they've added a platform to them which is suspiciously similar in size to a roomscale playspace.
That really worries me, its a huge part of what makes Half-Life so great. Without it, I'm worried it'll just transform into yet another shooter game.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

If it absolutely is a half-life game as folks playing it have said, I don't think there is much to worry about in that regard

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is a safe bet that the game will be structured mainly around the room-scale experience, with areas small enough to reach everything.

The game is going to focus on manipulating things with your hands. That means you have to be able to reach it easily.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is a safe bet that the game will be structured mainly around the room-scale experience, with areas small enough to reach everything.

The game is going to focus on manipulating things with your hands. That means you have to be able to reach it easily.
But the whole point of the gravity gloves is so you can reach stuff far away from you.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, we're supposedly getting more info/possibly more footage/screens on the 12th at TGA, so, really looking forward to that. Still doesn't feel real we're getting a new HL game so soon(hopefully).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Aren't they opposite Bungie or was that the old office?

Here's a handy image from the GAF thread about Valve's move:

TKBGDts.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever had such a turn-around on a game in such record time, and I haven't even played this thing yet. Like, I saw the trailer and my immediate reaction was "I'll never play this" because it's PCVR. Within, shit, I think within a week that take had turned into "Well, I am going to play it, but it'll be with an Oculus Rift or something." Then, after a bit of thinking about it, I've started to convince myself that I *need* the fucking finger-tracking for Alyx, and so it'll have to a Valve Index. So, here I am, ready to drop 1k to play a fucking Half-Life game. And I'm not even mad about it, because it's a fucking Half-Life game.

I'm going through HL, HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 again to prepare. Finished HL, and just got to the Prison in HL2. It's crazy how fucking good HL2 is, still, this many years later. Superlative game design. If I was ever doubtful, and I was, actually replaying the series has reminded me that Valve just doesn't make SP games unless they have something to say in that space and somehow move the artform forward. I thought Cyberpunk was going to be the defining experience of 2020, but now? It's gonna be a helluva thing to have these games nearly 1 month apart.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Epic is literally a few floors below Valve. Maybe all the anger Tim has is because of the constant moving of desks and people stomping and walking with their VR headsets.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
But the whole point of the gravity gloves is so you can reach stuff far away from you.

I would be happy to be proved wrong. I purchased a Valve Index so I could play this game!

But I think if you look at the gameplay shown in the trailer, the most logical conclusion is that you will be in relatively small areas for most of the game.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
They have an office in the same Lincoln Square East tower where Valve is in Bellevue, WA. Saw their lobby all the time on the way up.
They do have an office in Bellevue tho.

too slow welp

I guess what I mean is that Tim Sweeney ain't gonna be there 😅

The image reminds me a bit of Brighton. There are so many games industry businesses in Brighton. In our current location we receive the wi-fi signal from two of them.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Wait, seriously? Epic store team is in the same building as Steam team? WTF :D
Yeah Google "Epic Bellevue Jobs" and it will be quite obvious; it's mostly web / full stack dev jobs.. and then more obvious stuff.. "Backend Engineer, ECommerce."

It's more than JUST the store team there, but they are there.

And the Valve employees are aware of this fact; I have a good friend who works there and they literally are in the elevator with people with Epic badges pretty frequently and know it's often the store team folks.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember there being an article, or something like that, with infographics explaining how they were developing HL:Alyx to work with all the different VR headsets, controllers, and setups one might have on PC. Anyone seen something like that?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm noticing after rewatching the trailer, I like how it doesn't have the typical shakiness that a lot of VR footage has. It's a good choice for showing how VR feels.

I didn't realize there was a website! I tried looking for it and Google wasn't turning it up. Must have been buried.
I'm amazed more footage doesn't "smooth" it out like Valve did. I assume this is the "steadicam" feature they added to Source 2.

No worries - it doesn't seem to show up on Google, I had to find it through the Steam page for the game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One thing I'm noticing after rewatching the trailer, I like how it doesn't have the typical shakiness that a lot of VR footage has. It's a good choice for showing how VR feels.
Yeah they've mentioned multiple times how they smoothed out that motion so that the trailer looks good in flat screens. Should be the standard for all VR game trailers or VR footage, that head shakiness for obvious reasons is not there when you actually play in VR and it misrepresents how the games actually look.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't tried a steam game via oculus link/quest, hope it works. Glad Valve is putting in a seated option though I will give it a try standing

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Surprised to see nobody here has talked more about the Gravity Gloves. (I was out of the country when all of this stuff went live, so I pre-wrote my story ahead of the end-of-November reveal.) Here's what I've learned from sources, in Seattle and otherwise, about how they function:

Today's announcement includes video footage that confirms a data-leak examination by Valve News Network earlier this year: a new manipulation system dubbed the Gravity Gloves. And boy do these things look cool. Need to grab or pick something up? Point at whatever that object is (whether it's close or far away) with an open hand until it glows orange, then close your hand and flick your wrist toward yourself to fling the item in your direction. At this point, you get a moment to physically "catch" the object in question. Point, clench, flick, catch.

These gloves appear to solve one of the trickier issues of VR gaming, where a virtual item (a weapon, some ammo) requires real-world actions, like bending over or reaching awkwardly, to manipulate with your hands. How exactly they work in the course of gameplay remains to be seen: will players use the Gravity Gloves to snatch things out of enemies' hands? To catch and return live grenades? High-tech juggling, maybe? And what happens when you try to flick a distant object, but it's blocked by a gate or some other obstacle?

And from another article of mine:

We hear that most every object in the game's world has been designed to be touched and manipulated by hands, both in terms of realistic physics and how real hands move through virtual objects. The best public information we have to this end is a recent DigiPen presentation from a Valve developer. Ever wondered how doors are constructed in VR? Valve developer Kerry Davis went on for over 30 minutes on the subject, and our sources indicate that this scrutiny went into every single hand-manipulation system within HLA.

Our sources have told us not to expect one iconic weapon in HLA, however. Each of these sources mentioned that a virtual crowbar was tested at one point in the game's multi-year development but was eventually scrapped. To be clear: we don't have conclusive evidence that the crowbar won't eventually appear in the game in one way or another. (If Valve plans to upgrade the game with a physical crowbar purchase, my sources sure haven't heard of it.)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Index "Not Available In My Region" when this game comes out soon? Do they not want money?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised to see nobody here has talked more about the Gravity Gloves. (I was out of the country when all of this stuff went live, so I pre-wrote my story ahead of the end-of-November reveal.) Here's what I've learned from sources, in Seattle and otherwise, about how they function:

Why is Valve scraping good names for their products XD First Valve Knuckles got renamed to Index Controllers and now Garabbity Gloves to Gravity Gloves XD

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

The second snippet makes me hope that Valve makes Source 2 available for other developers making VR games going forward. A lot of the work they're putting in here would likely be very useful to prospective VR devs.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Seriously though, if this doesn't have manhacks in it they fucked up. They are the absolute best thing in HL2 VR.

Poison head crabs were terrifying. That bit in EP1 where a load of them drop out of the ceiling onto your face in that hospital... Yeah I shall remember it well.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The second snippet makes me hope that Valve makes Source 2 available for other developers making VR games going forward. A lot of the work they're putting in here would likely be very useful to prospective VR devs.

They are. From the Steam listing:

Community-built environments

A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve's level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game's virtual reality gameplay tools and components.