• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
like a virtual classroom.

This teacher did a video about Angle Vocabulary and it blew my mind. I don't have VR and it was one surprise after another what was possible. i freaking sat here for 16 minutes and watched a math-class in VR.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I have to hit out the individual glass shards in a window with the shaft of my pistol to get a good aim.

When facing headcrabs I usually grab a nearby object as a left-hand shield i.e. a bucket or a house-phone.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there is a fully functioning piano in half life alyx

And yes, there are already tons of videos out of people playing various songs in HL:A. With the index controllers, you can actually play with each finger independently.

Also, I didn't take a video of it, but I was able to juggle 3 cans with the index controllers. The tracking is so superb it feels natural.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019

And yes, there are already tons of videos out of people playing various songs in HL:A. With the index controllers, you can actually play with each finger independently.

Also, I didn't take a video of it, but I was able to juggle 3 cans with the index controllers. The tracking is so superb it feels natural.

How far into the game is this?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you meet the
Vortigaunt who sees the future
in chapter 2, there are a bunch of headcrabs in cages along one wall that you can interact with. Each one in each cage reacts differently. Like one, if you stick your finger in the cage, will try to bite it off, and other, if you walk up to the cage, will cower in fear in the corner while whimpering, another will play with your hands with its claw, etc.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool, and then he droped the eraser and used his finger to erase.

NEXT LEVEL SHIT

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the shader they use to paint textures with the markers blend with what's below them correctly. If you take one of the markers and draw on a television screen, for example, the color will blend with the image on screen. Example, there's a spot later on with a blue screen of death on a computer monitor, and if you draw on it with a red marker, the streak will look purple because red and blue mix to make purple. If you draw on a television, you'll see the color blend with each pixel being shown on the screen.

Oct 28, 2017
the shader they use to paint textures with the markers blend with what's below them correctly. If you take one of the markers and draw on a television screen, for example, the color will blend with the image on screen. Example, there's a spot later on with a blue screen of death on a computer monitor, and if you draw on it with a red marker, the streak will look purple because red and blue mix to make purple. If you draw on a television, you'll see the color blend with each pixel being shown on the screen.
Wow. Somehow it impressed me more than the headcrabs in chapter two trivia.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
When you meet the
Vortigaunt who sees the future
in chapter 2, there are a bunch of headcrabs in cages along one wall that you can interact with. Each one in each cage reacts differently. Like one, if you stick your finger in the cage, will try to bite it off, and other, if you walk up to the cage, will cower in fear in the corner while whimpering, another will play with your hands with its claw, etc.
I shot them all to put them out of their misery.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
OK I'm removing Alyx from blocktube for this thread!

This teacher did a video about Angle Vocabulary and it blew my mind. I don't have VR and it was one surprise after another what was possible. i freaking sat here for 16 minutes and watched a math-class in VR.

Magical that even watching it makes it feel normal after a couple of minutes. Spectator mode can smooth this further for the students too from what I understand. Very impressive. Him looking for the marker made me smile. I'm replaying Skyrim and couldn't help but think of the times you catch a bucket and send it flying around the room. His marker is probably in the tower lol
Also cool af teacher talking like it's his locality in lockdown, really strange parallels heh

(am I just ancient or does teacher sound about 15?)

OMG More of this please haha

Last edited:

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
There is a fully functional whiteboard in The Lab on Steam as well if you want to draw in a more clean environment lol

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Ahh man. I'm gonna have to do another playthrough. Played chapter 5 yesterday and didn't see a piano. I keep missing these neat things!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you look closely at the epi-healing pens, the blue gel inside is floating free form in the tube. If you shake, it, you can see the gel swirl around for a bit after you stop shaking.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can feed the grub in Alyx's apartment right at the beginning with fish grub food.. You get an achievement for doing so.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if people have been noticing, but all the computer and video equipment in the game is based off of real life things. Like, for example, there are multiple sony PVMs all over the place, the very same model I have at my home. This is the kicker, though:

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

That's just amazing. The ending was great, when he introduces his "irritable" neighbour and wipes the "science" off the whiteboard, haha

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

I wouldn't say that you can play with each finger independently, I have the knuckles and am a piano player and when I got to that part I immediately tried playing a song and with the current basic finger tracking tech in the knuckles the best you can do is the video you linked...

OP
OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

It is not the issue that it won't be possible. It would just be a completely different game(play).
Everything would be basically a QTE fest.

Opening a door? Press Button X and scroll the mouse wheel up and down to open or close the door, it would even register the speed at which you scroll.
Changing a roll of paper? a QTE prompt at the roll halter.
Reloading a weapon? just click "R"
Looting a shelf? just click the shelf and a list of loot will be displayed. It can even have the same searching for loot animation that you do in VR, just that you select the item beforehand and then the animation plays.
Any other action can be done by pre-recorded animations and a QTE button press.

Like I said, a completely different game.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
There's a moment early on in the elevator where you're told to put your hands up. I moved my hand slowly and hit the elevator button and the guard stopped the doors from closing and said something like "don't touch that!" Just the little touches like that and attention to detail are so good.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a moment early on in the elevator where you're told to put your hands up. I moved my hand slowly and hit the elevator button and the guard stopped the doors from closing and said something like "don't touch that!" Just the little touches like that and attention to detail are so good.

I hadn't really been paying attention to the combine chatter until I was talking to someone yesterday and they mentioned that they had stopped and hid and listened to their radio chatter for a bit. After a while, one combine soldier started yelling loudly in a fake friendly sounding voice, "Alyx! Hey Alyx come here! We won't hurt you!" and his partner who was helping him look apparently died laughing at that.

I have no idea where that is in the game but hearing about it has made me start paying attention to the combine chatter much closer.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I hadn't really been paying attention to the combine chatter until I was talking to someone yesterday and they mentioned that they had stopped and hid and listened to their radio chatter for a bit. After a while, one combine soldier started yelling loudly in a fake friendly sounding voice, "Alyx! Hey Alyx come here! We won't hurt you!" and his partner who was helping him look apparently died laughing at that.

I have no idea where that is in the game but hearing about it has made me start paying attention to the combine chatter much closer.
Yeah that happened to me too (I thought it happened to everyone) as afterwards Alyx comments that they were saying her name. It's just after you start encountering combine.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

That's creepy. I didn't think the Combine were capable of those sorts of tactics. Makes it seem like they actually retain quite a lot of their humanity, which is fairly distressing.