• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Two things I got off Valve Employee Twitter:

- the art team of the game is roughly 20 people
- the footage is in game but it's been smoothed a bit because your head is actually more jittery than you realize

You'll see a lot of people who never play VR comment on this when watching someone else play. Lots assume it's the game or VR's fault when it's just the micro movements of our head.

Feb 10, 2018
how many developers work at Valve? that's your current count on people working on it this year as it basically became an all hands on deck from what we have heard.

the majority of development was likely done with 50 though.

While what u say is likely to be true, it is an assumption, Where as the "50 devs, for 4yrs" is somthing from the horses mouth.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
While what u say is likely to be true, it is an assumption, Where as the "50 devs, for 4yrs" is somthing from the horses mouth.
we got confirmation from many of the developers at Valve that they got pulled into development on this in some way in the past year.

maybe that only did get up to 50, I could totally see a team of 50 talented, well rested, happy developers creating a 12-16 hour game like this in 4.5 years.

Oct 29, 2017
Crossing my fingers that this gets a release on PSVR when the PS5 launches. I can see this being shown whenever they officially announce PSVR2.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
- the footage is in game but it's been smoothed a bit because your head is actually more jittery than you realize
Yeah I was actually going to comment earlier that they did some good "cheating" in there to avoid typical pitfalls with VR trailers. The hand 'acting' stuck out as working well too, when they were bracing themselves on walls and tables the way you wouldn't in actual VR. Really helped sell the experience and smooth over the typical jank you see when you're watching VR instead of using it. It's like if Ubisoft/EA party dialogue during press conferences was good.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Have they confirmed Quest support? As in Quest-only not plugged into a computer.
Other's have answered but to be very clear.
It literally can't happen. The quest isn't powerful enough.
it would be like asking someone to port Cyberpunk 2077 to the switch at max settings.
It needs a dedicated PC to be able to properly run it and we are likely at least 3 years away from it being able to run on something like the quest and that is only if they figure out eye tracking and make a new version of it optimized for eye tracking and even then it might be a few more years before mobile tech is there to support it.

Crossing my fingers that this gets a release on PSVR when the PS5 launches. I can see this being shown whenever they officially announce PSVR2.

no chance it releases at the ps5 at launch unless there are new controllers for the VR as well. There's no chance the move controllers can handle a game like this.

odds are it will be one of the launch titles with PSVR2 though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
halflife_alyx_2.jpg

You think in that second image the player is going to fly around in that space in a jet pack? It's just a skyline shot

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Valve is in "'all hands on deck mode" for the game. TF2 updates were put on hold and devs from Dota and CS:GO teams were pulled onto HLA within the last few months.

Portal 2 did the same thing. 30-40 people worked on it for most of its dev cycle but the team grew a ton around Mid 2010. HLA is "Valve's largest project in terms of team size" so it would have to be bigger than what Portal 2 had at the end of its dev cycle.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
min. is a 1060 to play, my laptop may be able to play this without upgrading. I ran the steam VR test, and it came up great, hopefully not a old test, but it says my laptop can play VR great.

Oct 27, 2017
Fun observation I saw on Twitter: in the shot of the tripods walking through the city, they have platforms on their heads for the Combine to stand on. That platform is about the size of the minimum play space...🤔

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Other's have answered but to be very clear.
It literally can't happen. The quest isn't powerful enough.
it would be like asking someone to port Cyberpunk 2077 to the switch at max settings.
It needs a dedicated PC to be able to properly run it and we are likely at least 3 years away from it being able to run on something like the quest and that is only if they figure out eye tracking and make a new version of it optimized for eye tracking and even then it might be a few more years before mobile tech is there to support it.

no chance it releases at the ps5 at launch unless there are new controllers for the VR as well. There's no chance the move controllers can handle a game like this.

odds are it will be one of the launch titles with PSVR2 though.
nah it can happen, says so on the site for the game, just with an asterisk*

Quest connected to PC via Link Cable (USB-C) will run the game as if it were running on a PC Oculus Rift or Rift S. (There are also streaming solutions from PC to Quest that could be fine considering the single player nature of this title)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
nah it can happen, says so on the site for the game, just with an asterisk*

Quest connected to PC via Link Cable (USB-C) will run the game as if it were running on a PC Oculus Rift or Rift S. (There are also streaming solutions from PC to Quest that could be fine considering the single player nature of this title)
The quest itself can't handle it period. it needs to be connected to a gaming computer in order to be able to be used as a headset for this game. Don't pointlessly try to confuse people.

It needs to be clear the quest can't handle it without the gaming computer.

If you read past my post to the one I was responding to it was " Have they confirmed Quest support? As in Quest-only not plugged into a computer. " so obviously I'm strictly talking about the quest not being plugged into a computer which would be impossible for it to run.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind that Alyx has only... hands.

But is there a specific reason for that? Why not full body? Makes you more "weirded out"? :P

There are ways to work around this like inverse kinematics (eg Boneworks and other games) but this really does not work very well, can't be predicted perfectly, and definitely takes you out of the kind of immersion Valve are chasing.

Hands only, makes perfect sense when in VR, when they precisely match 1:1 what you are doing.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
The quest itself can't handle it period. it needs to be connected to a gaming computer in order to be able to be used as a headset for this game. Don't pointlessly try to confuse people.

It needs to be clear the quest can't handle it without the gaming computer.

If you read past my post to the one I was responding to it was " Have they confirmed Quest support? As in Quest-only not plugged into a computer. " so obviously I'm strictly talking about the quest not being plugged into a computer which would be impossible for it to run.
my mistake i missed that qualifier! however I think saying the "quest cant handle it period" is more confusing for discourse. every headset that plays this game is plugged into a gaming pc

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
There are ways to work around this like inverse kinematics (eg Boneworks and other games) but this really does not work very well, can't be predicted perfectly, and definitely takes you out of the kind of immersion Valve are chasing.

Hands only, makes perfect sense when in VR, when they precisely match 1:1 what you are doing.
Yeah, you really don't think about it when you're in it, because they BECOME your hands. It just looks funny on a 2D screen.

Hands-only is the right choice for tracking until far more detailed and accurate whole-body tracking is available (so many years from now).

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Half life 2 and the orange box in general were too good. Some of the best and most memorable experiences in gaming I have had. This is a no brainer for me. Pre-ordered the game, I will buy the VR kit whenever the game is released.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they pull a reverse-Kojima, even if in the final fifth of the game, and lswitch you from playing as Alyx to playing as Gordon. Not sure how they'd make that work, but that would be goddamn fantastic.