• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear you have never got sick from using VR. I used it a couple of times in small bursts. Then one time i decided to play for a bit longer than a couple of min and boy did i get sick. I had to lay down for most of the day and even the day after i was still feeling the after shock. Actually that whole week i just felt off. It was the worst motion sickness i have ever had and i have had a lot. So yeah, i rather wished it was mouse and keyboard and not VR.

Valve put a huge emphasis on the fact that they've been doing a ton of r&d to prevent exactly that.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
VR has been out for decades. VR is not for everybody enthusiast or not. This gatekeeping crap can stop.
The "VR has been out for decades" shit needs to stop.
VR consumer hardware, right now, is useable for the general populace for the very first time in history.
Everything that has come before wasn't ready at all. At most, you could compare the Oculus DK1 with some extremely expensive b2b stuff from the Late 2000s, and even that would sell it short.
Claiming that "the tech has been out for decades" is a dumber comparison than between a PS4 and the Magnavox Odyssey because the Magnavox Odyssey at least worked for what it set out to do.

Sure which is why if Sony came out with uncharted 5 as a PC exclusive, long time PlayStation fans would be rightfully upset.

Oh look, it's actually just console wars lol

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve put a huge emphasis on the fact that they've been doing a ton of r&d to prevent exactly that.
Sure ill let other other people test it but i ain't going nowhere near VR. I'm scared of it. That;s how bad it made me feel. It's a game not life threatening situation, so no need to feel bad for a couple of days and feel off for a week.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The "VR has been out for decades" shit needs to stop.
VR consumer hardware, right now, is useable for the general populace for the very first time in history.
Everything that has come before wasn't ready at all. At most, you could compare the Oculus DK1 with some extremely expensive b2b stuff from the Late 2000s, and even that would sell it short.
Claiming that "the tech has been out for decades" is a dumber comparison than between a PS4 and the Magnavox Odyssey because the Magnavox Odyssey at least worked for what it set out to do.
People have had more than enough time to decide if VR is right for them.

Oh look, it's actually just console wars lol
Lol, y'all crazy in here.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They could have done HL3 years ago. We will continue to complain about HL3 until the day it comes out then we will complain about how it sucks.
They tried, multiple times. There are indications of at least 6 cancelled attempts of making Half Life Episode 3 and Half Life 3.

Making a sequel to a hugely innovative and acclaimed game isnt easy. Doing it twice is harder, and as time goes on it gets even harder.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This brings me back to longingly looking at PC games I would never be able to play because I only had consoles. I have a gaming PC (970 that needs to be upgraded) and I know I won't be able to play this any time soon. I hope those that have VR will be able to enjoy it.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Thread Derailment over multiple posts.
They tried, multiple times. There are indications of at least 6 cancelled attempts of making Half Life Episode 3 and Half Life 3.

Making a sequel to a hugely innovative and acclaimed game isnt easy. Doing it twice is harder, and as time goes on it gets even harder.

You mean doing it 3 times. Not an excuse however.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you mean Episode 1 and 2? I dont count those because they're not really different than HL2 from a technical standpoint. Valve would obviously want HL3 to be a huge innovative improvement over HL2 just like HL2 was over HL1 all those years ago.

I think I may have misread your post. I meant HL1 and HL2 and HL3 would be the 3rd time.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Played 1 and loved it and watched 2

Thanks. I'll try 1
Good choice. it's been 84 years since I've played it so I'm not sure of the best way to do so, but aim for the most vanilla experience possible. Interested in your impression tbh. My phone is more powerful than the PC I first played it on lol.
Half Life 2 lives up to all the hype. It's magnificent even today. It's the reason I'm super hyped about the announcement. Episodes are great fun too. Story hang notwithstanding.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there will still be people fundamentally opposed to the shut-out nature of VR gameplay.

It's doable, I have no doubts about that. Does it make sense? No, I don't think so.

People not willing to spend 200€ on a good enough headset + controls (~rift s quality), because VR needs to be set up, there are wires, software needs to work together, you need to adjust a play area, wouldn't also be willing to invest 100€ into a IR camera + controllers, make the software work and adjust a play area.

The thing is: not everybody needs to like or play VR. If somebody doesn't want to, let him. He is missing out on something excellent, but it's not my job to persuade him and it's not the right strategy to create subpar devices or experiences to emulate VR. Nothing you want to exist will give the player a clue how immersive a good VR only game is. It's futile.

What some people are forgetting. Even if VR should become a bigger thing. It won't replace traditional games. Both can do very different things. Both are designed differently. So, of somebody wants to miss out on fun. Let him. But if he can't join, because this stuff is to expansive. Then let's hope for prices to come down.
And they are: rift 1 with controllers and station was 800€? Rift S is better in many ways and only costs 450€. It will happen, maybe 3-4 years.

Last edited:

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
You mean doing it 3 times.
N... no? He said two times because he's talking about making sequels to HL. If you are counting Episodes then then it would be 4, I guess? But certainly not 3.
Not an excuse however.
It absolutely is. Making games is hard, and if Valve wasn't happy with their efforts to make HL3 they have no moral or legal obligation to "suck it up" and release a product they aren't happy with just to allegedly please some fans.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
N... no? He said two times because he's talking about making sequels to HL. If you are counting Episodes then then it would be 4, I guess? But certainly not 3.

It absolutely is. Making games is hard, and if Valve wasn't happy with their efforts to make HL3 they have no moral or legal obligation to "suck it up" and release a product they aren't happy with just to allegedly please some fans.

Then just make one that they are happy with. Simple.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
People longing for their standard regular ass Half Life 3 fps will maybe get their Duke Nukem Forever from Valve eventually lol ... it will be a few glorious months of memes and then silence.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
If VR is it's own platform.

This is like valve taking their most popular franchise and switching exclusive platforms.

It's understandable that some long time fans will be disappointed. VR isn't an option for lots of people who played and enjoyed the first two games.

Agreed to some degree as there is a hardware cost associated with the product but it also doesn't mean that HL3 would be replacing this if it didn't exist. If anything this only exists due to Valve commitment to hardware and the R/D on the Index.

I'd also say to think it more of a franchise you like doing a different genre rather than platform.

Deleted member 889

Oct 25, 2017
My body is Reggie.

I will very likely be (re)buying a VR headset for this game. Once it's fully confirmed I can use an Oculus Quest + Link.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very curious to see how this looks.
I hope for a Source 2 tech demo they do another one of these.

iu

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed to some degree as there is a hardware cost associated with the product but it also doesn't mean that HL3 would be replacing this if it didn't exist. If anything this only exists due to Valve commitment to hardware and the R/D on the Index.

I'd also say to think it more of a franchise you like doing a different genre rather than platform.
I agree, that's a good way of looking at it.

The big problem I see is the lack of any movement on a true sequel. If HL3 was definitely in development or had already been released, then you'd have less people disappointed at a VR spinoff.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
Lets do a game: everybody who post over here as a gabe, steam and hl fan (as i am) will receive the game for free from our lord and savior. who wants to play this game with me?
anyway, im grooling for every pores right now. when the dusk will come, so ill do

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Not really interested in Half Life and I don't have any pcvr headset right now, but it's great to see a AAA VR game