• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
just to push back on the "VR bad" narrative I for one am excited at the prospect of a big VR game and would have literally 0 interest in a more traditional non VR "half-life 3" or whatever

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Legendary. I can still quote parts of this video. I hope they do something similar for Source 2.

G-man's facial expressions in the first minute of this video still hold up incredibly well. In fact there are games released this year that look markedly worse in that regard! 16 years. Blowing my mind all over again to be honest :D

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
People unhappy about this being a VR game... you're not forced to buy it? Valve is trying to push the industry forward - why are people on an enthusiast forum not happy about that? So conservative lol - with that mindset we'd probably never have gotten past Pong.

ok boomer

I can't exactly fault anyone for being disappointed. Sure no one is forced to buy it, but things are a bit different when you consider this will be the first new "half-life" game in 13 years (if it comes out in 2020). Which is a pretty big deal, so I can understand some of the feelings here since VR components and space is a bigger wall to overcome than say upgrading or buying a new PC and calling it a day. That doesn't even get into the topic of fans of the series who perhaps can't play VR due to motion sickness or disabilities.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've a spine issue that will probably make this inaccessible to me. I wholly understand the design compromises that Valve would have to make to make the game fully accessible to someone like me. But I'm not going to apologise for being frustrated at the choice of platform here. It's something I've waited 12 years to hear about

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
VR is simply not there for me yet, Hopefully this changes as tech moves forward.
However I did expect this to happen with 3D and it didn't.
3D was a disaster for me. I couldn't see any of it, and all I got was a crappier viewing quality and pricier movie tickets. I just wished it all went away now.

All in all, I am thrilled that there is a new HL. I enjoy that things evolve, however I cannot help but anticipate feeling a bit left behind. Hopefully it is good and I can still enjoy it somehow!

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People unhappy about this being a VR game... you're not forced to buy it? Valve is trying to push the industry forward - why are people on an enthusiast forum not happy about that? So conservative lol - with that mindset we'd probably never have gotten past Pong.
People just want HL3 that you play with mouse and keyboard on a monitor, a game that concludes mainline Half Life story, what's so difficult to understand? I have no interest in spending a 1000€ or 500€ or whatever absurd amount on some goggles, which I don't even have enough room in my small European apartment for, to play one game.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure that the argument that VR is too expensive holds up quite so well anymore.
Something like the rift S at 400$ is not that expensive at all for what it actually has to offer imo. People dropping close to 1000$ for a graphics card or a phone seems to be widely accepted when those offer relatively small iterative upgrades. The rift is priced like a 1080p graphics card but offers so much more and you don't need a crazy powerful rig to run VR games at all, chances are your PC is probably already good to go. VR is no longer in an "infancy" state there are a decent amount of proper games coming to it to justify the purchase in my opinion. HL:Alyx is just going to be a cherry on top of an already decent library of games
What's affordable varies from person to person though so that argument is always going to hold up to an extent; a 1080p graphics card is like a $1000 one to someone who can only afford that cheaper alternative and splurging another $400 for a VR headset may simply not be an option.

Perhaps there will come a time when VR headsets begin to take the place of conventional displays and then it will become more essential, like the monitor or TV currently is, rather than an extra that's only necessary where few games, by design, demand it.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
So how much money would somebody need to spend to get this running?
I'm assuming this isn't gonna be released for PSVR

Oct 27, 2017
I can't exactly fault anyone for being disappointed. Sure no one is forced to buy it, but things are a bit different when you consider this will be the first new "half-life" game in 13 years

Valve have made their stance on future Half-Life games abundantly clear and have done for years. If they're doing it, then it's because there's a reason to do it that they believe works and that the studio are passionate about delivering.

If they wanted to merely tie up a story with a linear first person shooter sequel, that may or may not have satisfied fans anyway, they could have done that 10-12 years ago.

As someone who has had very little interest in VR and isn't in a particular rush to spend hundreds on headset hardware either, I can't wait to see what this looks like. They're not immune to missteps, but Valve also don't shit things out that aren't ready or that they don't believe in, nor do they casually throw around their IP's to side projects.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I can't exactly fault anyone for being disappointed. Sure no one is forced to buy it, but things are a bit different when you consider this will be the first new "half-life" game in 13 years (if it comes out in 2020). Which is a pretty big deal, so I can understand some of the feelings here since VR components and space is a bigger wall to overcome than say upgrading or buying a new PC and calling it a day. That doesn't even get into the topic of fans of the series who perhaps can't play VR due to motion sickness or disabilities.

That is true. I won't be able to play the game for a long time because I can't justify the cost of a VR headset yet so I am sad that I won't get to play HL: A until much later. That said, it's a bittersweet feeling because Half-Life games will stay true to their legacy of pushing the industry forward and I am genuinely excited to see what Valve can achieve with a big game when they can design it around their own hardware. It has the potential to be truly mindblowing and I do want to see something entirely new, even if I can't play it immediately.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Ohhh I'm excited, if there's a company that can deliver a good VR game is valve.
I will not be able to buy a VR device just for this but hope it's successful.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine people being upset that one of the most popular PC franchises of all time that left people hanging for a decade after promising that the episodes would be completed really quickly only to find out that they are bringing the franchise back as a VR game that requires a £400 headset and a suitably powerful PC to run VR.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a bit more excited about the prospect, to see how loaded "flagship" actually is. I adore VR. I still think it's the future, and I've loved all my time with it. Maybe this is what'll finally get me to break on a setup.

But also yeah, seeing Half-Life again after twelve fucking years.
Gonna get up at five for it though?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
People just want HL3 that you play with mouse and keyboard on a monitor, a game that concludes mainline Half Life story, what's so difficult to understand? I have no interest in spending a 1000€ or 500€ or whatever absurd amount on some goggles, which I don't even have enough room in my small European apartment for, to play one game.

I think there will be a Half-Life 3 that will be a launch title for the Steambox 2.0 whenever that is ready.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing this just for Half Life. Would much rather a 2D Half Life and that is from a Valve Index owner but that doesn't mean this is to be dismissed!

Guessing it will be a similar scope to the original Portal which seems the standard for "Flagship" VR games. For me I know my VR play sessions aren't much over an hour so wouldn't like the prospect of some 20-30 hour experience to play through in VR, it would take me weeks to complete!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
G-man's facial expressions in the first minute of this video still hold up incredibly well. In fact there are games released this year that look markedly worse in that regard! 16 years. Blowing my mind all over again to be honest :D

Hope we get a video showcase as good as HL2's was. Was in city college at the time and we would gather around and watch it on a friends laptop every day for months.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me at work right now.

iu

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
6.5 hours the wait is killing me

I'll probably not have a VR kit for another 10 years but goddamn I'm hype to see what they do with the franchise

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Is it a good time to ask how well do Half-Life 1 and 2 hold up?

I have zero knowledge of this series except for the memes

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Half Life 2 still holds up really well.

Half Life 1 Is a lot older but still plays pretty well. Its also getting a fan remake named Black Mesa thats currently in Steam Early Access. Everything is in the game except the final act named Xen. But its really close to completion. Its a fan game but it literally feels like it was made by Valve themselves. Valve even approved it and allow the devs to sell it for profit.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the "Epistle 3" text imply that
Alyx would be the protagonist of Half-Life 3, following HL2 Episode 3?

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone with a 1080 Ti and a 6700K, what would be the Minimum Value Product to have an hypothetical good experience with this?

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I think there will be a Half-Life 3 that will be a launch title for the Steambox 2.0 whenever that is ready.

Is this a confirmed thing that's happening? Thought they gave up on that endeavour.

They're OK, not really anything special. They would've been much more impactful to play released, but when I finished them 5 years ago I appreciated the influence they had without actually thinking they're great.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't the "Epistle 3" text imply that
Alyx would be the protagonist of Half-Life 3, following HL2 Episode 3?

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

I don't remember but I think it just put Gordon on ice again until he gets reheated when it's time again, maybe not by the G-Man this time but the Vortigaunts or whoever. Alyx just left with the G-Man, let's see if there is anything of that in this one.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get that, but this is not HL3.

I can't play the game myself, don't have VR - don't even have the space for it - and yet I'm super excited to see just how far Valve is gonna push the VR thing forward with this. Even if I can't play it myself on release - I'm still stoked to see what'll happen. And even just.. seeing that world again in videos, and listening to the music - is gonna be enough to make me happy.

I feel like people should be happy that Valve is acknowledging Half-Life at all - there's no way they release this and then forget about HL again so one can reasonably assume that HL3 or EP3 or whatever will come out at some point. And I'm pretty sure Gabe himself said that if HL3 ever got made it would not be VR exclusive - though don't quote me on that it's just a memory in my head.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

I don't understand it. Each HL has been revolutionary and IMO there's nothing revolutionary left to be done within the constraints of 2D screens, mouse and keyboard. Maybe I'd be proven wrong but this is the real frontier.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That is true. I won't be able to play the game for a long time because I can't justify the cost of a VR headset yet so I am sad that I won't get to play HL: A until much later. That said, it's a bittersweet feeling because Half-Life games will stay true to their legacy of pushing the industry forward and I am genuinely excited to see what Valve can achieve with a big game when they can design it around their own hardware. It has the potential to be truly mindblowing and I do want to see something entirely new, even if I can't play it immediately.

This is a very measured response, and echoes my thoughts quite well. It's possible to be excited and somewhat apprehensive or disappointed at the same timd.

The number of people having full on dummy spits in here is startling, and the more impressive the reveal is the worse that kind of backlash will be. I think it's going to be pretty rough!

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
If VR is it's own platform.

This is like valve taking their most popular franchise and switching exclusive platforms.

It's understandable that some long time fans will be disappointed. VR isn't an option for lots of people who played and enjoyed the first two games.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy it, then you will have nothing and others will have a new Half Life game.
Everybody happy.

For a game enthousiast board, a lot of people here sure are conservative about discovering new ways to play.
Please stop with this.

VR has been out for decades. VR is not for everybody enthusiast or not. This gatekeeping crap can stop.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clear you have never got sick from using VR. I used it a couple of times in small bursts. Then one time i decided to play for a bit longer than a couple of min and boy did i get sick. I had to lay down for most of the day and even the day after i was still feeling the after shock. Actually that whole week i just felt off. It was the worst motion sickness i have ever had and i have had a lot. So yeah, i rather wished it was mouse and keyboard and not VR.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

ok boomer

Because we want HL3. They could do both you know. We've been waiting like 10 years.