• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Valve has been working on a brain interface for a few years now, maybe they'll announce something for the index (which has an unused expansion port)
I know this is a popular theory but I'm not sure how you could add this via a USB slot at the front. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way it feels science fictiony. I'd think a Steam Controller revision is more likely, heh

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a popular theory but I'm not sure how you could add this via a USB slot at the front. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way it feels science fictiony. I'd think a Steam Controller revision is more likely, heh
Well it would use the USB but obviously it's gonna involve some kind of electrodes that sit on your headset if they planned it before the Index came out they probably have stuff in place for it to work.
That being said, it's just a theory because that's what we know they're working on, it could be anything at this point or as finalflame said, it might not even be announced/worked on anymore.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I'm not going to read the 50 pages analyzing this. I'm 36 years old and there's more Half-Life coming and I couldn't be more excited! I'll buy whatever to play it.

If it stinks I don't even know if I'll care it's actually happening and I just want to see what it is.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
[

Honestly, some traditional motion controllers that didn't require the incredibly expensive lighthouse (and could be playable on a monitor) would be more plausible than most of these theories.

If they could release sub-100 dollar controllers that allowed people to play this in non-VR, it'd be pretty popular. And if Steam Control made them a good way to play other games, even better. I would buy a pair if it gave me excellent control options for traditional FPS games.

EDIT: I don't expect this to happen at all. Just that I think it's more plausible than brain interface or another HMD theories.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[

Honestly, some traditional motion controllers that didn't require the incredibly expensive lighthouse (and could be playable on a monitor) would be more plausible than most of these theories.

If they could release sub-100 dollar controllers that allowed people to play this in non-VR, it'd be pretty popular. And if Steam Control made them a good way to play other games, even better. I would buy a pair if it gave me excellent control options for traditional FPS games.

EDIT: I don't expect this to happen at all. Just that I think it's more plausible than brain interface or another HMD theories.
Even if they will, what would that help when you need to look at the screen, how are you expecting to turn your head to aim with such a setup?

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Played few hours yesterday with the Valve Index VR it was not really that impressive, after playing PSVR for few year it's a huge leap, but not something I would buy for Half-Life

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they will, what would that help when you need to look at the screen, how are you expecting to turn your head to aim with such a setup?

It doesn't seem like a very plausible idea. I agree. You could turn if each controller had an analog stick. But what about catching stuff? It's admittedly not very practical. I just think it's more plausible than brain wave stuff or another HMD being referenced. None of these are very plausible.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone on reddit worried about the "HL brain drain at Valve" meme looked at their site to see how many people still there have worked on a HL game. It's 46, including the lead of HL2. But that's only a minimum since not every employee is on the site. Easy to see why Chet said a lot of HL people still work there.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Wait press is shitting on it?

What's more hilarious is that the monkey paw meme doesn't even work. If you remotely followed Half-Life and Valve R&D for the last 5 years or so, you know they have been toiling away in VR development to the point if they ever were to announce an entry in the Half-Life series, it would have been for VR devices.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone on reddit worried about the "HL brain drain at Valve" meme looked at their site to see how many people still there have worked on a HL game. It's 46, including the lead of HL2. But that's only a minimum since not every employee is on the site. Easy to see why Chet said a lot of HL people still work there.
I don't know how it's like to work at Valve these days but I can't think of another company in the industry that has original staff form their breakout game trillion years ago, let alone 1/3 of it.

Oct 27, 2017

What's more hilarious is that the monkey paw meme doesn't even work. If you remotely followed Half-Life and Valve R&D for the last 5 years or so, you know they have been toiling away in VR development to the point if they ever were to announce an entry in the Half-Life series, it would have been for VR devices.

I don't know why Jason continues to embarrass himself every time he types the word "Valve".

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
If you were a teen when Half-Life 1 came out, you're in your 30's now. If you were an adult, you're probably in your 40's or higher. At that point, you probably know what kinds of games you like and might be not too excited about a favorite series turning into a different genre (and it's obvious that a made-for-VR Half-Life is going to play very differently than the previous Half-Life games).

As an adult playing video games for decades, you've probably had bad VR experiences in the past.

VR is an expensive investment & unlike buying a new console or new computer, it's not clear exactly what you're getting until you have it unless you know someone who already has a VR setup that lets you try it. If you pay $500 for a PS5 (or new Xbox or whatever), you have a good idea what you're getting into.

New control schemes mean that you have to start over and don't start from a position of mastery which can be hard for someone who is used to being good at games.

As an adult with responsibilities & probably a spouse & children, strapping on a helmet to play a game doesn't really fit in with my life. I'm much more likely to get game time pulling out a Switch when I'm waiting out on an errand.

Also a lot of people get motion sickness from VR.
On the contrary, as an adult who has experienced all the gaming shifts and paradigms, I couldn't be more thrilled about a new medium in which to explore these worlds in. VR as is right now, is already incredible, I can't imagine where it will be 10 years from now.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the crazy theories are getting better and better in this thread. We went from people in their mid 30s are afraid of VR to valve announcing a real brain interface.

Please wait, I need to get popcorn.

For me, it's fascinating how much more negative the reception is on this forum in comparison to other places.
If this game is good, it has the potential to change the perception of VR. If it's bad, it could do harm. No matter what, it could influence how gaming will evolve.
And I'm saying could, not guaranteed.
That alone tells me a lot about the importance and impact valve has on pc gaming and this industry.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I feel bad for the devs more than anything. I hope it's received well after all is revealed if it's good.

People like to hate on shit for no reason and I'll never not get pissed off about it.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the crazy theories are getting better and better in this thread. We went from people in their mid 30s are afraid of VR to valve announcing a real brain interface.

Please wait, I need to get popcorn.

For me, it's fascinating how much more negative the reception is on this forum in comparison to other places.
If this game is good, it has the potential to change the perception of VR. If it's bad, it could do harm. No matter what, it could influence how gaming will evolve.
And I'm saying could, not guaranteed.
That alone tells me a lot about the importance and impact valve has on pc gaming and this industry.
It's not unfounded lol
Valve Psychologist: Brain-computer Interfaces Are Coming & Could Be Built into VR Headsets

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
There are people in this very thread who wouldn't be willing to try it if it was the perfect game and came bundled with an actual gravity gun as well as a million dollar in cash.
I made a Pre-Gameplay poll for this reason. I think a lot of opinions will change. It's because people have preconceived notions that it's a tech demo with floating hands that doesn't do anything special, or that it can't possibly be good enough to make them care.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017

I guess Valve paying for a company wide Hawaii vacation somehow really pisses Jason off.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how it's like to work at Valve these days but I can't think of another company in the industry that has original staff form their breakout game trillion years ago, let alone 1/3 of it.
The problem with the brain drain idea is that no one has heard of 99% of the people who made the HL games. (True for games in general, sadly.) It's basically Gabe Newell, Marc Laidlaw, and Kelly Bailey. Since two of them no longer work there, a lot of people have this idea that everyone who made HL is gone, when in reality it looks like there's a ton of people still there.

Also keep in mind those game teams weren't huge to begin with, so it's not like they're down from 600 to 46. A quick google shows 30 people were at Valve for HL and 84 for HL2.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

In what world is this shitting on it? Y'all need to adjust your shitting meters lol.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I want to pass it off a just a joke rather than a jab, but a lot of people in here also don't seem to get the idea that they're only making this game because they're inspired by the possibilities of the technology; that exploring the tech was what prompted them to make a new HL game around it — like how HL2 was a thesis on the added value of physics in games and a flagship for their engine. That much is evident if you watch the interviews they've given on VR.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, a non VR HL game sounds boring. It would be just another linear fps with a mouse and keyboard. Nothing is wrong with those controls, but HL needs to innovate. Not much you can do the old standard way.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
In what world is this shitting on it? Y'all need to adjust your shitting meters lol.
"Monkey's paw" connotation is clear here; while not shitting on it, he still makes it clear this is not what he wanted by using that term. Not even waiting for Valve to show off the game and going directly to VR=Bad is as close to "shitting" on it as you can get.

You'd think a journo who champions for devs would know better than to come out the gate and start being negative about a highly anticipated project.

Oct 27, 2017
"Monkey's paw" connotation is clear here; while not shitting on it, he still makes it clear this is not what he wanted by using that term. Not even waiting for Valve to show off the game and going directly to VR=Bad is as close to "shitting" on it as you can get.

You'd think a journo who champions for devs would know better than to come out the gate and start being negative about a highly anticipated project.
This is the guy who complained Valve sends its employees on a cruise once a year.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

No. His not being excited about VR isn't shitting on it. He can still express an opinion. It feels more like you guys want him to cheerlead. VR is expensive, VR isn't particularly casual. It's super cool and I'm excited to see what Valve has in store for this but people aren't required to be jazzed about it privately or publicly.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
No. His not being excited about VR isn't shitting on it. He can still express an opinion. It feels more like you guys want him to cheerlead. VR is expensive, VR isn't particularly casual. It's super cool and I'm excited to see what Valve has in store for this but people aren't required to be jazzed about it privately or publicly.
No I dont want him to cheer lead. He is not a hype man, he is an investigative journo so I would not expect anything of that sort. He is free to say w/e he wants and we're free on interpret his remarks and to me, it comes off as poor form.

You asked the qustion and I answered. Like I said he is free to say w/e he wants but I'd like to think that someone with that kind of clout would know better than to add to the negativity.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only one here who doesn't understand "Monkey Paw".

It's from The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror II" episode. It's the story where Homer buys a monkey paw that grants wishes but however the wish can have dire consequences. Which is why I say it's kind of stupid to use it in this instance.

A prime example of using it is saying "Oh wow, a new Silent Hill entry was just announced... for pachinko machines."

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's from The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror II" episode. It's the story where Homer buys a monkey paw that grants wishes but however the wish can have dire consequences. Which is why I say it's kind of stupid to use it in this instance.

Monkeys paw is much much older, its a short story from a book at the start of the 20th century. There are even a bunch of silent films that adapted the story.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
No I dont want him to cheer lead. He is not a hype man, he is an investigative journo so I would not expect anything of that sort. He is free to say w/e he wants and we're free on interpret his remarks and to me, it comes off as poor form.

You asked the qustion and I answered. Like I said he is free to say w/e he wants but I'd like to think that someone with that kind of clout would know better than to add to the negativity.

His negative opinion on a game that is yet to be shown isn't going to move the needle one way or another. Knowing better implies there is some real, tangible harm that will come to the game but it's going to be shown off and it's going to be released.

I'm not even sure what poor form means in the context of a tweet of this nature. It's not like he's written a hit piece.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
It means to make a wish that goes horribly wrong. In this specific instance, the wish is "I want another Half-Life game" and the going horribly wrong is "It's not a sequel to the game's cliffhanger ending & it's for VR."

A prime example of using it is saying "Oh wow, a new Silent Hill entry was just announced... for pachinko machines."
Thanks for these explanations!