• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
gWFTdui8oscg6uMKHJakErP3RQyfOZJ9sye7qnQUUvw.jpg

someone needs to make an updated version of this with HLVR

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I severely doubt it as well, I just wonder if Sony would throw money at it and try to make it happen. They did it with other games this generation, basically paying out exclusive-level dollars in order to get some devs to release games for it
The benefit would be a bunch of money and exposure for the Valve & Half-Life. That said, I have a feeling that current PSVR hardware might not be good enough to support this game, but it might not be totally out of the question for next gen. Source 2 has already been ported to Mobile for Underlords.

The thing is, Valve has no need for money or exposure from a single game. Their main business is Steam so if their goal is to bring in more people to their service and PCVR, releasing HLA on a closed console and VR platform is completely antithetical to that.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Seeing some of the posts in this thread remind me of how out of touch with VR I was before getting into it.

I thought it was a gimmick too, but 2019 has brought two, huge AAA games in Asgard's Wrath, a 40+ hour RPG, and Stormlands, basically Far Cry with flying and other crazy powers. It is far from a gimmick these days.

I feel like most of these people saying "just port it to pancake ffs" either haven't tried VR yet or, if they have, have only tried pancake games ported to VR. Playing a game built for the platform from the get-go is a night and day difference to a port.

Also for those worried about motion sickness - that is valid but also normal. It's common to only be able to stomach 20-30 minutes or less at first but as you get used to VR most people's bodies adapt. At first I couldn't play more than 20 minutes of Arizona Sunshine without feeling sick. Now I can pull of crazy dogfights on Elite or put 4-5 hours into Asgard's Wrath no problem. There's definitely an acclimation curve and that's normal.

Also, seeing people compare HL: Alyx to the Diablo Immortal reveal I think are kinda missing the point. Mobile games restrict what is possible in a creative space to some extent, whereas here, with VR, it's a new technology which can actually expand the creative potential.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
gWFTdui8oscg6uMKHJakErP3RQyfOZJ9sye7qnQUUvw.jpg

someone needs to make an updated version of this with HLVR

Well, I do get how getting a complete VR experience can seem somewhat overwhelming for people, but the narrative is strange, I agree.

To run Crysis in 2007 took about the same amount of money and effort as running a VR game today.
Maybe people think it's more expensive because they have to upgrade more than 1 thing, as the cartoon actually shows. :)

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Seeing some of the posts in this thread remind me of how out of touch with VR I was before getting into it.

I thought it was a gimmick too, but 2019 has brought two, huge AAA games in Asgard's Wrath, a 40+ hour RPG, and Stormlands, basically Far Cry with flying and other crazy powers. It is far from a gimmick these days.

I feel like most of these people saying "just port it to pancake ffs" either haven't tried VR yet or, if they have, have only tried pancake games ported to VR. Playing a game built for the platform from the get-go is a night and day difference to a port.

Also for those worried about motion sickness - that is valid but also normal. It's common to only be able to stomach 20-30 minutes or less at first but as you get used to VR most people's bodies adapt. At first I couldn't play more than 20 minutes of Arizona Sunshine without feeling sick. Now I can pull of crazy dogfights on Elite or put 4-5 hours into Asgard's Wrath no problem. There's definitely an acclimation curve and that's normal.

Also, seeing people compare HL: Alyx to the Diablo Immortal reveal I think are kinda missing the point. Mobile games restrict what is possible in a creative space to some extent, whereas here, with VR, it's a new technology which can actually expand the creative potential.

I like VR a lot (even though I do think the non-gimmicked games are still too feud) but I think it's always going to come down to money. It's just too expensive based on what else is available. There is really cool shit available but when you can play so many other games with a lot less hurdles, it's difficult.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I like VR a lot (even though I do think the non-gimmicked games are still too feud) but I think it's always going to come down to money. It's just too expensive based on what else is available. There is really cool shit available but when you can play so many other games with a lot less hurdles, it's difficult.

There are almost no hurdles to buying into VR these days.
I have an HP Reverb, but I'll admit the Oculus Quest really is the games changer for people that want to play games like this in this day and age. And it's only going to get better.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Man, a lot of people want HLA to be held back by the mighty Jaguar huh, i would be fine with a PSVR2 port though, but please no more games designed for 2013 Consoles, especially a series that is famous for physics.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I woke up this morning and honestly thought I had dreamed that this was a real thing.

I'm so giddy. Also how ironic that members of a gaming enthusiast forum are so out of touch with gaming. The comments in here are so baffling. Just reminds me that I seem to have less and less in common with people the more the world turns.

So odd

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I have an HP Reverb, but I'll admit the Oculus Quest really is the games changer for people that want to play games like this in this day and age. And it's only going to get better.

For me, I am lucky enough to have a VR setup at work. But if I were to get a setup at home, I'd have to massively upgrade my computer + get the VR headset, and because I live in the middle of a city I won't ever really have room to do a real full size setup. So for someone like me, the cost is a little prohibitive (and difficult to justify for a handful of games, even if they are very, very good).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Erik Wolpaw responded to this post over on QT3:

QT3: It'll be a tech demo, I expect, Half-Life branded to encourage people to buy the shiny overpriced peripheral required to play it. It's always worth remembering that virtually no one that worked on Half Life 2 is still at Valve. We passed the point where a satisfying follow-up was even possible some distance back.

Erik Wolpaw: I can't guarantee the pleasantness of any possible surprise you may soon experience, but I'm just gonna say you might be pleasantly surprised.

Even after this game is out and if it's good, there will still be a contingent of people staunchly refusing to recognize its validity -- based on some of the responses in here. Moving goalposts, the usual stuff.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying "I hope they'll mod this to remove VR."

That's akin to hoping one day a mod comes out for a light gun game like Time Crisis to let you play it with a racing wheel controller.
I honestly don't get how people don't get that.
It's like looking at Super Mario 64 and saying to the room
"Nintendo will probably make a 2D port of this game, for those of us who don't like 3D. If not, modders will handle it. Nobody can stop them!1"

It's kind of just... nonsense.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
For me, I am lucky enough to have a VR setup at work. But if I were to get a setup at home, I'd have to massively upgrade my computer + get the VR headset, and because I live in the middle of a city I won't ever really have room to do a real full size setup. So for someone like me, the cost is a little prohibitive (and difficult to justify for a handful of games, even if they are very, very good).

But new PC games have always required upgrades. And the Quest or a WMR headset doesn't use a full size setup (my apartment is 5 by 5).

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Im so excited because VR is literally perfect for half life

Also I'm super upset about people just forgetting that Lone Echo exists as a system seller. it absolutely is

Also Portal in VR sounds like heaven, make it happen

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure Valve is big enough for something like this to be possible, unless the Portal game is very modest in scope.

One can hope, at least.
Also there is a clue that something else might come along side Alyx:

Finally I can talk about this :)

First had the privilege of playing and working on it a bit over 2 years ago during my time at Valve. It was honestly already a crazy amazing experience back then, Valve has poured so much love, care, and though into the next story in the Half-Life universe. I can't even imagine how much they've polished it these last two years.

If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
But new PC games have always required upgrades. And the Quest or a WMR headset doesn't use a full size setup (my apartment is 5 by 5).

I actually thing the "PC games always require upgrades it's soooooooooo expensive!" is actually a little overblown. The upfront cost is way higher than a console, but generally if you get a good machine off the jump it can last for a long time, even if you do eventually have issues running newer stuff.

That upfront cost is really the issue for most people (not me). Having to (probably) commit to a brand new PC before you even start to think about VR setup stuff.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how advanced Valve graphic and facial tech is these days or do we expect something pretty middling with nice art?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
There's already a Portal VR game (albeit not by Valve). It works fine, but the game doesn't throw you around like 1/2 do.
Yeah, I'm sure things would have to be simplified.

I meant a game more similar to 1 or 2, like that chamber in 1 where you repeatedly shoot yourself vertically over and over to get more height.
The perspective rotation, along with the sense of falling and speed would be out of control in VR.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019

This. I'm running Asgard's Wrath in VR just fine with a $75 GTX 970. The Oculus Quest + Link now does PCVR at a $399 price point and it'll only DROP in price with time too.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to dust off my Vive.
I actually thing the "PC games always require upgrades it's soooooooooo expensive!" is actually a little overblown. The upfront cost is way higher than a console, but generally if you get a good machine off the jump it can last for a long time, even if you do eventually have issues running newer stuff.

That upfront cost is really the issue for most people (not me). Having to (probably) commit to a brand new PC before you even start to think about VR setup stuff.

The constant upgrade was definitely there in earlier 2000s, but that was more because every year we had stuff that was twice as fast as the previous. My Haswell PC from 2013 can still run most things, and all I did was drop a new video card in 2016 when I got my Vive.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019

Listen if you wanna do some races on tracks irl you gotta commit. Same goes with everything else. I dont know why gaming brings so much concern from so many broke people who can't afford the hobbie / luxury

And at this point nobody even knows if Half Life VR will actually require index controllers to begin with

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for saying this. People in here are acting exceptionally entitled and ignorant

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'll have to dust off my Vive.

The constant upgrade was definitely there in earlier 2000s, but that was more because every year we had stuff that was twice as fast as the previous. My Haswell PC from 2013 can still run most things, and all I did was drop a new video card in 2016 when I got my Vive.

the first PC I ever built as a wee middle schooler was build specifically for Far Cry so I was living high and mighty when all my friends were complaining about how bad Half Life 2 ran on their machines lmao

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how advanced Valve graphic and facial tech is these days or do we expect something pretty middling with nice art?
Probably depends on the scope of the game.

I'm sure they'll want to make sure the game runs well on the base hardware needed to run VR so that might limit things, but for faces I'm sure they'll have smaller room segments (like being in the lab/base in Half-life 2) that could push some impressive graphics.

If course it'll probably have graphics options so I'm sure they could make even a great looking game run OK on weaker hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
After a decade I shouldn't have to buy VR gear to play a new Half Life. I don't have the space for VR nor the disposable income to buy it for one game.
Imagine feeling like because I waited a decade for a sequel to Kameo 2 that I shouldn't have to upgrade from my Xbox 360 to play it.

I bet you'll find the disposable income for the Xbox 5 and/or PlayStation 5 tho, huh. Game was built for and exists because of the promise and inspiration that VR brought to the team at Valve. If you don't want the hardware required to run it, it wasn't going to be for you in the same way that Red Dead Redemption 2 was never going to be for you if you were holding out for a PS3/360 release of it and refuse to buy the hardware it was actually made for.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Listen if you wanna do some races on tracks irl you gotta commit. Same goes with everything else. I dont know why gaming brings so much concern from so many broke people who can't afford the hobbie / luxury

And at this point nobody even knows if Half Life VR will actually require index controllers to begin with

To your latter point, yeah as much I don't really love VR stuff and probably wouldn't play a Half Life VR game if I had to shell out a lot for it, definitely feels like we should wait for Thursday before getting all doom and gloom.

As to your former point, I think that the direction of the games industry as a whole is moving towards that. Dozens of free to play games have become smash hits, mobile gaming is huge, Steam and other sales have changed the way people purchase AAA games, and game streaming is on the horizon. More than ever, the divide between the super hardcore niche people who will spend lots of money on gaming and the hardcore "I care about gaming and play lots of games but I simply won't/can't spend a lot on it as a hobby" people is visible on this forum.

And I count myself as someone who's really in the latter group but understands the frustrations over misinformation/dismissiveness from the former group