• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! If only it had actually made the initial release date and we'd had both HL and FI in the same year. I'm still ecstatic after over a decade of waiting for some of my childhood favorites to be back in such great fashion.

None of those games that have both VR and not-VR modes are worth a shit in VR. Seriously, none of them. NMS is probably the best example I can think of just due to the scale and visuals but even then you have no body presence, no proper physics, everything is basically just mapped to buttons. It's not the same as a proper VR game. Non-VR games ported to VR suck.

This is going to be Boneworks or Blade and Sorcery or H3VR but to another level as a proper AAA title.

They don't all suck. Something like The Talos Principle is very good in VR. It's just... if you're not designing the core gameplay components around VR and all that it offers, it's not pushing the boundaries of what's possible in VR. And this is what Gabe promised these games were doing. It's either pushing boundaries or it's not. It can't do that if it has to be an exceptional experience in pancake mode too.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depending how this looks on Thursday. (Really hope they show gameplay and not just a cinematic) I might build a PC and buy this.

I know it seems crazy but for the past 2 years I've been wanting to build a gaming PC. Just kept putting it off. So hey, maybe this winter is now the time for me to finally go through with it

Oct 26, 2017

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Really? 0%?
Did the Portal 2/The Orange Box for consoles went that bad that Valve wouldn't develop for them anymore?
More like, Valve isn't going to provide a dumbed down gimped version of their flagship VR title. I shudder at the thought of even trying such a thing with the horrid PSVR tracking.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
They don't all suck. Something like The Talos Principle is very good in VR. It's just... if you're not designing the core gameplay components around VR and all that it offers, it's not pushing the boundaries of what's possible in VR. And this is what Gabe promised these games were doing. It's either pushing boundaries or it's not. It can't do that if it has to be an exceptional experience in pancake mode too.

I would be very disappointed if HL:A doesn't take VR a whole lot more further than Talos did. I'm expecting something beyond Boneworks.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
gaben.jpg
WHY THIS IMAGE ISN'T IN THE BANNER

HE PLAYED US LIKE A FIDDLE

A FIDDLE I SAY

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the game will play perfectly or better with a mouse and keyboard or controller or whatever. People just want to be able to access the game at all in some form, without buying extremely expensive and niche hardware. I doubt anyone is under the impression that this game isn't ideally experienced, or even difficult to translate out of, VR.

that being said, who cares? I hope it does get modded, regardless of how it impacts the experience. Maybe it'll be truly ridiculous and clunky. Maybe it'll be borderline unplayable. So what's It's a mod. Someone making a mod so people can play a game in less ideal conditions than you're able to doesn't impact your experience at all.

To your original point: I think you're hugely exaggerating with your comparison, but if someone DID want to mod a light gun game to have racing wheel support: who cares?

They're hoping it will force people to "get into" VR gaming and a successful PC mod might jeopardize that.

People have managed to get Skyward Sword playable with an Xbox 360 controller. If they give us full access to the usual Source SDK then I'm willing to bet someone will do a total conversion of the more problematic parts.

Half-life fans are thirsty.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have managed to get Skyward Sword playable with an Xbox 360 controller. If they give us full access to the usual Source SDK then I'm willing to bet someone will do a total conversion of the more problematic parts.

Skyward sword isn't 1:1 positional tracking and is actually gesture based and thus throws bindable events.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that, assuming the game has any significant amount of traversal, there is an option for smooth locomotion instead of restricted to teleport only. AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong) none of Valve's released VR content has included the option and has been strictly teleport only.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope that, assuming the game has any significant amount of traversal, there is an option for smooth locomotion instead of restricted to teleport only. AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong) none of Valve's released VR content has included the option and has been strictly teleport only.

The rumors say they've gotten the message and expanded locomotion to include all options.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I would be SHOCKED if Sony didn't do everything possible to get involved in this somehow. They have shelled out mega dollars to dozens of companies trying to make Playstation VR happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Valve initially were 100% teleport only but I believe they've moved away from that stance. I fully expect this will give you the option how to move.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I tried PSVR at a mall demo kiosk a few weeks ago when I was in the US and wasn't impressed. They had Borderlands 2 as the demo game and the FoV felt claustrophobic and while moving, things felt pretty blurry and I started to feel a little sick after a few minutes. Now, I get that PSVR is on the low end of VR hardware and it's possible that it wasn't calibrated properly, but I'm reluctant to shell out big money to buy some PC VR equipment to play this when I don't even know if it'll work with my eyes or my stomach.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSVR would work really poorly for this game, I'd wager, with the limited tracking range and the Move controllers being unable to do something as basic as allow you to change the direction you're facing. It wouldn't work.

Sony would need to, at the very least, release brand new PSVR controllers and a better tracking system. Otherwise you would have a severely compromised experience.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Games have narratively moved past the Half Life games a decade ago, I'm more excited about this from the aspect of the technology involved rather than the plot it will probably advance.

Kind of a shame I feel that way but I emotionally checked out of this series a long time ago. To spare myself the pain ☠️☠️☠️.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be a PSVR version. Part of me hopes there will be so I could play it and it could reach a larger audience. Part of me hopes there won't be so that it's not held back by non-room scale tech and inferior motion controls.

Regardless, I hope it comes to a non-pc tethered VR unit eventually for those of us that prefer a console-VR or standalone VR experience. Personally, stand alone VR when mobile chipsets get just a bit more powerful will be my preferred way to experience games like this.

I know PC will always provide the best experience, but I just don't see myself investing in the PC ecosystem (it's a mental barrier).

P.S. this is not a port beg. A PC only experience would probably be optimal for gameplay purposes.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The Orange box sold more on PC than PS3 and X-360 combined
Valve last console game was Portal 2 in 2011
And GabeN said this in 2017

www.eurogamer.net

Why Valve has no interest in making console games

It sounds like Valve has no interest in making console games."We get really frustrated working in walled gardens," Valv…
Didn't CSGO come out on the 360 and was supported for a grand total of 3 months before they never acknowledged it again?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PC VR equipment to play this when I don't even know if it'll work with my eyes or my stomach.

You are describing the biggest problem with VR and It's an understandable hurdle.
All I can say is: I played Star Trek Bridge Crew with PSVR (over a weekend, for many hours) and tried it much later with the original Rift. The rift was far superior and the new, "better" Rift S is even considered to be on the lowerish side. But even with PSVR, Bridge Crew was the most awesome multiplayer experience I ever had with friends. Sounds like hyperbole, I know. But I was there, commanding a Star Trek Ship, pressing buttons, talking to my crew.
I lived the fantasy. The immersion can be fantastic.

I later tried it on PC with a controller and a normal display. Rather unexciting game. VR done right can be breathtaking.

For myself: knew I'll be buying a VR headset one day. This game might give me the push I need.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games have narratively moved past the Half Life games a decade ago,
More like "completely ignored the cool shit that HL2 was doing for narrative presentation and continued to stick with bog-standard cutscenes".

Even if they could've done with a skip button, I vastly prefer the narrative style HL2 was doing back in the day with its real-time interactive scenes that don't take control away from the player, which now seems ahead of the curve now that VR is a thing and traditional cutscenes simply don't work for first-person VR experiences.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More like "completely ignored the cool shit that HL2 was doing for narrative presentation and continued to stick with bog-standard cutscenes".

Even if they could've done with a skip button, I vastly prefer the narrative style HL2 was doing back in the day with its real-time interactive scenes that don't take control away from the player, which now seems ahead of the curve now that VR is a thing and traditional cutscenes simply don't work for first-person VR experiences.
Valve was very forward thinking. I have no doubt they continue to be that way.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I also hope for smooth locomotion. Teleporting actually is more uncomfortable to me. I can deal with it in Robo Recall and Superhot but I prefer other locomotion.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah they didn't wanna bother with the pathetic way console certification was being approached then. Didn't gel with how they pushed out updates.
I don't know if people are aware of this or they are trolling on purpose lol
Continuously ignoring that they knew about their issues with certification from their previous multiplayer game they abandoned on consoles and still sold people a new multiplayer title then didn't support it