• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Feeling the same way, it really feels people are misunderstanding and not getting how money is a big issue here for many people (and that's not even going into all the other issues VR has going against it like health issues, space etc), I'm seeing a lot on Twitter and it feels like "Just buy VR" as the new "Just buy a PC" and both seem to ignore how daunting and expensive that can be for people and in some cases, not practical (especially in the latter's case where they really mean "Build a PC").

Well...

This is from the perspective of someone with a steady income and few monthly costs, but...

Games are ultimately a luxury. For a long time games have been really cheap and available to all, but they don't have to be. It was mainly an issue of targeting the widest possible audience. But look back and there are plenty of cases of games pushing the limits, at a higher cost. Crysis really did require a $2000 PC initially. There are car sims that are pointless without a cockpit setup. Further back, you have arcade hardware being way ahead of anything else but theoretically buyable. Or the entire business case of the Neo Neo.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with a high-end gaming experience, any more than there's something inherently wrong with any luxury while people are starving. If you can't afford VR now, you probably will be able to eventually since all hardware decreases in price. I was a pretty poor kid in 1992, but I mean, I did get that Neo Geo eventually.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
HL:A will aim to define the 1:1 finger, hand control, interaction and manipulation of a virtual world and try to define a VR game in that holistic way.
We don't know that, yet. Sounds a little bit fiddly.

In the past three years I was more impressed with the VR games for PSVR and Oculus Rift than the VR games by Valve.
I only remember The Lab.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

In the past three years I was more impressed with the VR games for PSVR and Oculus Rift than the VR games by Valve.
I only remember The Lab.

We do know that this is their aim. It's the flagship VR game as discussed years ago, developed along side the Index hardware. The game should scale to all fidelity of hardware supported in SteamVR as they previously discussed

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Astro Bot fundamentally plays of the same strengths of Super Mario 64 as a platformer with a gamepad.
HL:A will aim to define the 1:1 finger, hand control, interaction and manipulation of a virtual world and try to define a VR game in that holistic way.

Astro Bot is irrelevant.
The previous poster is comparing how Nintendo defined the analogue stick, and now Valve will attempt to define the controller of a completely different medium - simultaneously trying to show what they think makes a stellar VR game compared to the VR shooters we have to date
I really don't think finger control is going to mean anything beyond a neat novelty in this game, or any game, really, not to mention It'll almost certainly be compatible with most other headsets too, including the primitive vive wands. The finger tracking on the index is neat, but a far cry from the kind of dexterity that one would need to replicate the actual uses of fingers. All it's good for is gesture based input, and that is easily replicated with most other kinds of inputs. And, to be completely honest, I'm not confident that the game will be any more technologically impressive than boneworks.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017

I only remember The Lab.
They also haven't really done VR games except for some tiny thing and a small demo thing for the Index controllers. Now they are going all-out.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I only remember The Lab.
Because they havent done any game other than The Lab which is more of a proof of concept of what can be done with Steam VR for both devs and players?

Edit: I find the knuckle demo quite impressive tbf:

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Flipping amazing! Now have a concrete reason to try and get the PSVR working on PC, or find a reasonably priced PCVR headset.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ironically, in other threads about VR people comment their issue is how they aren't good AAA games to justify the price of the device. Now they start doing them... and it's also a problem :)
fwiw i don't think valve making a half life game exclusively for VR is a problem, i just think that the people who are comparing it to when they introduced steam or claiming that VR is now a low cost buy in are being disingenuous at best

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what company keeps all its devs in this industry for 20 plus years?
Valve have one of the lowest turnovers

Oh I know, its just been so damn long since we have had a Half Life game (or any FPS from them), stories of the old guard leaving etc. I really dont know what to expect from Valve anymore (I havent been following what they are doing with VR). I'm just kind of neutral on this announcement as I literally dont know what to expect. Hearing that so many of them do remain, raises my expectations.

Have only played my brothers PSVR, and I thought that was the shit, as in, I could see so many possibilities with what VR could do, something truely fresh and interesting. If Valve are doing a proper full blown VR dedicated title, it's gonna be very interesting to see what they do. But it would need to be truely something special to make me splash out for the headset.

Just in wait and see mode at the moment. It would truly make me happy if they blew up gaming again.

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Holy schmeckles! Will most likely not play it, because PC VR is not for me, but absolutely hyped for a new Half-Life!!! It's been 84 years...

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, and here I was thinking I was set in terms of big gaming related purchases until the next consoles arrive.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucking depressed. I'll never be able to experience it, because I'm so susceptible to motion sickness D: D: D: D:
Maybe you permanently are, maybe you aren't, but just incase and for others that think like you or are curious, browse this thread:
www.resetera.com

For those new to VR, here is some information (and help) on motion sickness.

Upload has a list of things you can do to help mitigate or avoid motion sickness. Here: https://uploadvr.com/7-ways-overcome-vr-motion-sickness/ It's also not a bad idea having a thread that contains some general tips and info. Feel free to ask questions or add your own tips.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
not everyone is an american and, even if they were, $200 is still a lot of money for a lot of people
im not american either and I can find em for $200-400 no problem. hell if I wanted one used $150 is completely possible.

and yeah $150 is still a nice chunk of change but not something completely out of reach for folks like your $650 minimum. $150-$250 is 100% doable, gaming is an expensive hobby people that actively take part can save up $150 on the side in the 4+ months it will even take for this game to release.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Alright, time to mess with the internet a bit.

So put yourself in Valve's shoes. They're looking closely at the ending of Episode 2, and they're wondering what is the best way to re-ignite this flame that has been out for so long. What is the best way to make people care about these characters again?

Uhh guys, a game centered around an Alyx backstory is exactly what you would do.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
At most it just got delayed I doubt it will get shelved indefinitely. Pretty sure 2 of the old HL writers are on it (Not Ladilaw).
I hope they don't muck up the tone/style without Marc to correct it. But it's as good as it's gonna be and hopefully any tertiary writers they may have understand the property enough to know what its guidelines should be.

Oct 29, 2017
Because they havent done any game other than The Lab which is more of a proof of concept of what can be done with Steam VR for both devs and players?

Edit: I find the knuckle demo quite impressive tbf:

Thanks for posting that! I had not seen that before, the writing was significantly better than I had expected. Poor Friendly Frank......

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I have a feeling that there will be a slight boost for some PC VR titles this holiday thanks to this news. People will be dusting off their headsets, new ones will be bought on Black Friday etc.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I know, its just been so damn long since we have had a Half Life game (or any FPS from them), stories of the old guard leaving etc. I really dont know what to expect from Valve anymore (I havent been following what they are doing with VR). I'm just kind of neutral on this announcement as I literally dont know what to expect. Hearing that so many of them do remain, raises my expectations.

Have only played my brothers PSVR, and I thought that was the shit, as in, I could see so many possibilities with what VR could do, something truely fresh and interesting. If Valve are doing a proper full blown VR dedicated title, it's gonna be very interesting to see what they do. But it would need to be truely something special to make me splash out for the headset.

Just in wait and see mode at the moment. It would truely make me happy if they blew up gaming again.

Folks have retired, or sought other challenges in their careers after over decade is abnormal for such long periods and for a company to have low turnover. The narrative is spun because of bitter folk crying about not getting a new console game. Much the same as the Valve don't do anything spam. All this when Valve as a tiny company over 300 strong company, still output and ship more than other companies.

Their focus shifted off shipping new titles, with focus on VR since 2012 for which they've been the industry leader. They reorganised themselves to now support R&D and hardware efforts with game dev simultaneously, and this HL game is a result of that and the developments of SteamVR.

Its completely reasonable to be frustrated with it though, if it isn't that accessible or your not convinced of the medium yet / tried decent hardware / games etc, and it isn't on a preferred platform. As usual with Valve and the open PC approach, they'd focus on that first and as fidelity / features improve on other platforms they'll likely port it over. They've been consistent in saying they aren't expecting everyone to somehow buy into the super expensive nature of VR off the bat, but it will scale over time, and as devs have a better understanding of developing for the medium, it will be clearer why the medium is great for gaming and with ever improving content.

No need to feel you have to jump in right now, but obviously if Valve can make something as defining as previous HL games strived and succeeded to be, it can have a knock on effect for content

Last edited:

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
I suppose there is no chance some modders will be able to make the game playable without a VR headset, right? One can just dream.....
I'm happy for valve, but I'm not happy as a HL fan.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm just hoping it's mindblowing and makes me want to buy an expensive VR headset with no 2nd thought, and not an awkward middleground where it's kind of cool and would suck to miss out on, but not worth the all the money. I'm not buying a cheap headset either, it's the full quality experience or nothing.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Curious to see how this game turned out. I'm guessing it will have similar tech to boneworks.

I suppose there is no chance some modders will be able to make the game playable without a VR headset, right? One can just dream.....
I'm happy for valve, but I'm not happy as a HL fan.
Certain types of vr would not be good converted over to use with a conventional controller. Lots of things would have to be redone.