• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering what Valve can really do with a VR game. VR isn't in its nascent years - I'm looking at something like TWD: Saints & Sinners and struggling to imagine what room there is for Valve to do something groundbreaking in comparison.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm wondering what Valve can really do with a VR game. VR isn't in its nascent years - I'm looking at something like TWD: Saints & Sinners and struggling to imagine what room there is for Valve to do something groundbreaking in comparison.

I see your gameplay video and I'll raise you one.

This hasn't been tackled at the AAA level yet, and that makes all the difference. Valve could also redefine AI if they wanted by having some very complex and intimate AI interactions where you can use your body language to change the state of other characters. Audio is another thing. No one has ever done spatialized audio propagation in a AAA game.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Samsung Odyssey Plus and I currently have a quest. They're really, really, not the same thing
Is the tracking quality seriously that big of an improvement? Sorry, I'm just fairly skeptical of camera tracking solutions from experience.

Though for some reason Acer is still selling their WMR headset for $799?! Bloody hell, what a ripoff.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Wonder if we'll see Dog in it's early stages and be able to upgrade and build him up as a gameplay mechanic. Maybe he'll be a companion along the way.

TrashFuego

Nov 21, 2017
I wonder those that are such haters on this announcement, does it upset you when someone is excited? Do you just file them under fool and proceed to come in and flame on.

Im excited for something new. I get being upset but some people really love hating on valve.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own 9 different VR headsets, including the Dell MR headset I'm recommending, a Quest, and a Rift S. You really are exaggerating the difference.
Well in my case the WMR was so bad I returned it a day after. I also had a vive and if I had to compare the quest to it I'd see the tracking is almost as good.

Oct 26, 2017
For those who can play it, I hope it's good, but I don't think I could ever justify the cost considering I'm not particularly interested in any other VR titles.

I'd be looking at close to £1000 in order to play this game (PC would need upgrades + Headset) and that is something I simply can not afford.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Never thought this day would come, i love HL and especially HL2. Its a shame its VR only though because VR doesnt really interest me and im not gonna get a VR headset for one game but we'll see.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who can play it, I hope it's good, but I don't think I could ever justify the cost considering I'm not particularly interested in any other VR titles.

I'd be looking at close to £1000 in order to play this game (PC would need upgrades + Headset) and that is something I simply can not afford.
It'll be an evergreen game. This is just to get the ball rolling, get more early adopters in and increase VR ownership. Valve probably see it as a game that will make money over years, not immediately. In short, it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to jump into VR, hopefully at that time with a bunch of other amazing VR titles too.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the tracking quality seriously that big of an improvement? Sorry, I'm just fairly skeptical of camera tracking solutions from experience.

Though for some reason Acer is still selling their WMR headset for $799?! Bloody hell, what a ripoff.
To me it was,
I had a Vive before getting the Odyssey and the tracking was so poor I returned in the following day, the cameras were placed in a bad way and had a really bad tracking window, the Quest has 4 cameras positioned at the outer edges of the headset, I can actually draw a bow with a quest and on the Odyssey I couldn't, there was also huge amounts of jitter throughout the entire experience and it was just unpleasant to play, especially coming from a Vive.
I was sceptical as you were when I got my quest but I was pleasantly surprised, the tracking window is quite big, controllers are smooth, and with the fact it's a standalone device and now can also play PCVR, it's the most bang for the buck headset on the market, I bought it from Amazon just because I would have returned it if it turned out to be as poor as the Odyssey, I did not.
If I compare it to my old Vive, the Vive's tracking was amazing, and the Quest isn't as good, but not far at all, but it improved on pretty much every other way on the original Vive.
Oh and PSVR tracking is the worst of the bunch lol

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be an evergreen game. This is just to get the ball rolling, get more early adopters in and increase VR ownership. Valve probably see it as a game that will make money over years, not immediately. In short, it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to jump into VR, hopefully at that time with a bunch of other amazing VR titles too.

I hope so! The question is, can I avoid spoilers for X years?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm sure this has been posted before in this thread, but in case anyone missed it VNN called it weeks ago.

"Their plan is to win you over with nostalgia and graphics"

"Instead of people being mad it's on VR, people will be mad they can't get VR any sooner"

"The game is close to photo realistic, and without a doubt the single best looking VR game"

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been posted before in this thread, but in case anyone missed it VNN called it weeks ago.

"Instead of people being mad it's on VR, people will be mad they can't get VR any sooner"

"The game is close to photo realistic, and without a doubt the single best looking VR game"

That photo-realistic part I'm a bit sceptical about, we got some good looking VR games now but they're still limited by what our hardware can do, I'm sure it will look good, but doubt it's going to be photorealistic.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine she'd have to. Way too much of a character to just become a Gordon.
I can see them thinking that it would "ruin the immersion" or whatever and just finding ways around it like always, plus Im just so used to FPS characters being silent whenever playable but switching to a chatterbox once they arent and vice versa, Barney from Blue Shift being the closest example.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Take a look on ebay, it's against forum rules to post ebay links to live auctions, but I'm seeing a bunch going for $150AU with about $20 AU shipping. Search for "Windows Mixed Reality" on ebay.com.au.
there are a couple, but they're all shipped from America. shipping a used VR headset from the other side of the world for $200 is still cost prohibitive and a huge shipping risk. the local used market for windows mixed reality headsets are still like $400

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I see your gameplay video and I'll raise you one.

This hasn't been tackled at the AAA level yet, and that makes all the difference. Valve could also redefine AI if they wanted by having some very complex and intimate AI interactions where you can use your body language to change the state of other characters. Audio is another thing. No one has ever done spatialized audio propagation in a AAA game.

Yeah, there are some things with AI - shaking a character's hand and having them comment on your grip, or communicating with hand signals ('Make a fist when you want us to fire').

Hopefully whatever they show on Thursday is awesome.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

i got a feeling he's Fanboy overhyping here

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

source.gif

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm not into VR but more Half Life is a good sign.

Perhaps we might finally see some movement on that Half Life film that JJ Abrams was going to produce.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If a new Suikoden, Tomba! (yeah I said it in a world where freaking Bubsy made a comeback I'm within my rights to expect anything), Wild Arms, Jak and Daxter or Breath of Fire are announced I'll lose my shit

I would also lose my mind at anything Alex Kidd related, whether that is Alex Kidd is Smash (he has a giant fist for christ sakes!!), a remake of Miracle World or a Brand new Alex Kidd I will throw my money at it.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, maybe I should have phrased it differently. I guess neglected would have been better? Ignored?
At least I don't approve how they have handled the franchise and that's surely something we can all agree on.

They literally opted to not be the company pumping out sequels unless it had purpose. That's the best possible outcome vs overuse. HL was always a step forward in some way. In VR, simultaneously developed along side the higher fidelity hardware - that seems undoubtably to recur

Well, my main reason for concern was this, I thought they basically had an exodus of the OG devs, doesnt seem to be the case ..... light hype raise.

what company keeps all its devs in this industry for 20 plus years?
Valve have one of the lowest turnovers

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Astro Bot already exists.

What was the last singleplayer game by Valve? Portal 2 in 2011?

Astro Bot fundamentally plays of the same strengths of Super Mario 64 as a platformer with a gamepad.
HL:A will aim to define the 1:1 finger, hand control, interaction and manipulation of a virtual world and try to define a VR game in that holistic way.

Astro Bot is irrelevant.
The previous poster is comparing how Nintendo defined the analogue stick, and now Valve will attempt to define the controller of a completely different medium - simultaneously trying to show what they think makes a stellar VR game compared to the VR shooters we have to date

Last edited: